Emerald City Knights: Riders on the Storm!

Jedaii

AnalystHeadshot.png.6b413252b483fe1acd815687e1adddb4.pngCordelia is on the ground for a while, buried under a pile of glass shards, splintered wood and lightly smouldering manga that had been the store's promotional display. Outside, Iroha had to do a double take. Her friend just... got struck by lightning? She leans in through the broken window, peering around to try and see what happened to her companion.

"Holy... Cordelia? Are you okay?" Please don't be dead, please don't be dead.

Why would I be...?

Something's wrong. Iroha wouldn't just say that. Lia starts to hear other voices as she struggles to pick herself up from the debris. A few at first, faint, distant. But then her hearing starts to adjust, it flows like a tide. Pleeding, begging, screaming: half of it playing in stereo as people start to cry out within Book Crooks, and the fire starts to roar around them.

They're scared, they're hurt, upset, shocked, distraught, angry, terrified...

It's too much. A thousand times too much. Cordelia wobbles, unsteady on her feet. Instead of standing, she just about rises to one knee, pulling herself up onto what little remains of the display table. Half remembered mental exercises can barely do anything against this; a few twigs against a surging river.

For one terrible second, the entire Yellow Brick Row hears a mighty mental cry.

"SHUT UP! ALL OF YOU! SHUT! UP!"

Not. Helpful. Cordelia grimaces as soon as the broadcast hits. Even at her lowest, she should be better than that. The Row gets one more brief broadcast of "Sorry." before Lia gets back to work. This... is strange, but she knows what to do now. She glances back into the mental plane, briefly, picking out the minds. They're like... orbs, surrounding her. She can read the colour, the texture of thoughts, like putting her hand over a sphere. She links her own mind to every other she can find, but those still panicking, and those resolved to fight and help, she keeps apart: a chorus of stars surrounding her in the smokey fog of Book Crooks, reaching across the Yellow Brick Row.

First, she addresses the terrified civilians all across the row."Everyone, please stay calm. There's no more danger outside. But several buildings have become unstable. I know it's scary..."

godIknowit'sscary

"But we need to keep calm. Okay? Start panicking, you'll get lungs full of smoke, or that strange mist outside. Let's evacuate, as quickly and as calmly as you can. Anything you need to say, any problems..."

There's a brief note of mental discomfort as the newly minted telepath comes to terms with what she is. "I... guess you can think it. Focus on the thought. I'll hear you. We can beat this, together."

Back in the material world, Cordelia has finally risen to her feet and looks through the window to her friend. "Iroha! Check the back of the building! There's people inside! We need the fire door open now!"

While Iroha runs off to try and help, Cordelia sends a second message over her little mental network. This time to those who'd felt the urge to do something about what's going on.

"All right, heroes. I've got a link to every panicking mind on the Row right now. I'll be directing you to any stragglers or isolated folk that are in trouble. If you run into problems, I can find someone to help out. Think of me like... your very own 999 operator, I guess. Any questions?"

It's only at this point that Cordelia remembers she's technically trapped in a burning building too. Granted, she's by a window, but still, she should help physically if she can. Taking one last breath of mostly-fresh air, she starts to look around Book Crooks, trying to see what can be done here.

Edited by Inquisitor D (see edit history)

Psi-Starcurrent.jpg.954a11b0145c19f3d2d415b166feb1e7.jpgMic sprang to his feet, a surge of urgency coursing through him. He reached out to ORACLE with a mental query, frustration evident in his tone. "What the hell is happening, O? Give me the status." ORACLE's response was quick and concerning. "Some kind of abnormal environmental disaster has occurred. Multiple buildings are on fire, civilians are trapped, and there are numerous injuries reported."

Mic's mind raced with possibilities. "Is it an attack?" "Unknown," ORACLE replied. Frustration welled up within Mic. "Damn it! Get in touch with the AEGIS JEOC and initiate a level 2 response. I want at least two squads of A.R.T. agents fully equipped en route, along with two teams in Max Armor on standby. Deployment scenario Delta."

Though ORACLE didn't acknowledge the command, Mic knew the AI was already processing the task. He couldn't help but be impressed with himself. Just a year ago, he was a small-time crook, and now he was the director of the Agent division in the world's leading Superhuman Enforcement agency. Returning to reality, Mic heard secondary explosions echoing around him, likely caused by ruptured gas lines in the burning buildings. With no time to waste, he sprinted to a clear vantage point at the rear of the nearest structure. after a cursory glance around and seeing no selfie taking gawkers Mic tapped his comm-link, he sent another message to ORACLE. "Alright, O, send in the suit." Almost instantaneously, a shimmering silver-grey sheen emanated from Mic's comm-link, enveloping him entirely. Seconds later, he was encased in a striking blue and white metallic armor that emitted small bursts of static-like discharge.

Approaching the rear door, Mic exerted his strength and tore it off its hinges with a single mighty heave. The terrified crowd of trapped civilians screamed even louder as his armored form entered. "Quickly, out the door and then to the right. Keep moving until you're clear of the smoke and the buildings." Most of the uninjured civilians wasted no time in fleeing to safety.

However, one man stood near the front, his voice filled with desperation. As Mic moved closer, he could see the man's fear-stricken face. "My wife, she's pregnant. We got separated during the explosion, and the flames prevented me from going back in. She's not answering. You have to do something." Mic's frown was concealed beneath the protective mask of his armor. They hadn't thoroughly tested the armor's resistance to extreme temperatures, despite ORACLE's assurance that it was practically impervious. Without a word, Mic plunged into the raging inferno. The suit's advanced sensors swiftly located the unconscious woman, trapped beneath a toppled table. Cradling her in his arms and shielding her as much as he could, Mic decided that a direct approach was the best course of action. He aimed his arm at the nearest wall and unleashed a powerful blast, hoping to create an expedient opening to the outside.

OOCnot sure what needed rolls. Ripping the door off and blasting the wall. I think they are the two big lifts. Persuading the people to haul @ss out the door, maybe>

Whitestone

Hildé sprang to her feet, her heart pounding, as pandemonium erupted in the vicinity. The piercing screams from the nearby building pierced her ears, prompting her to swiftly assess the situation. Instinctively, she determined that the entrance farthest from the raging inferno provided the best chance of rescuing people trapped inside. With her extensive experience serving on an AEGIS A.R.T team, she had faced countless perilous scenarios, but the audacity and suddenness of this incident caught even her tactically seasoned mind off guard.

As she rounded the corner, her eyes fixated on a middle-aged man clad in unmistakable EC Ospreys fan attire. The man glanced around furtively before removing his ball cap and tapping his wristwatch. Recognition flashed across Hildé's face as she muttered, almost to herself, "Mic?" She retreated further into the shadows, her curiosity piqued, as she observed her director being enveloped in a shimmering silver glow, transforming into an armored hero.

Awe-struck, she watched as he effortlessly tore the door off the rear of the building and plunged inside. Within seconds, a steady stream of civilians emerged, guided by their savior to safety across the street, away from imminent danger. Shortly after, another man stumbled out, coughing violently, and positioned himself near the rear entrance with an air of expectancy. Without hesitation, Hildé maneuvered her way around the corner, determined to accompany the man to safety.

Edited by JagrHunter (see edit history)

Mercy in Tank Top | Overwatch | Know Your MemeOne moment, it's a day full of endless possibilities. The next moment, some terrible power rips through the area, upending lives and shattering the mirth of a perfect Saturday.

Celeste is barely able to register the power—it's not magical, at least—before it crashes into her and sends her hurtling. The world spins crazily and then there's a sudden stop accompanied by a loud crack. Nothing seems broken, though she is dazed for a moment. Yet it's not even the physical force that leaves her stunned; it's the sudden, intense flood of pain. She can hear their cries, feel their emotions as though they were own, a single catastrophic miasma of suffering.

For that brief moment, Celeste's heart wails.

A city aflame, its crumbling walls echoing with the cries of the fallen and the subjugated. Here, even death is no end to servitude. They want release. They want healing. They want freedom and they crave submission all at once. Over them all floats a figure clad in black and white, long garments streaming in the wind, exposing the luminous white skin of her legs, of her open hand reaching down at the masses. She offers no succor; instead, she asks supplication....

Celeste snaps out of her reverie. There are people that need help. She feels a tingle roll down her spine. No, she will not allow this, lives lost, people hurt by unnatural forces. That thought spurs her to action. Rising, Celeste uses her fear as motivation, makes it her power. Then perhaps, the most surprising thing happens: another voice enters her mind. Not from flashback, but the voice of a person, who sounds young, unsure of herself—but determined to help. Celeste is trusting, and most importantly, she can deal with whomever it is if their motives are impure after saving everyone.

"They are scared, hurt. I can't help with the fear right now, but I can help with the hurt. Look for the light. Save them from the debris and they will help each other." she says in her mind, in response to the communication.

Celeste leaps upward and shimmering golden light blazes about her body then disappears with a flash, leaving her transformed. Rising upon wings of cloud-white and sun-gold, now bearing raiment woven from the very skies themselves, the angel becomes her truest self, and even in this dark moment, she shines. Seraph floats upward, hands raised toward the sky, as she implores the firmament to bestow its brilliance on these beleaguered people. Pouring her heart into the effort, reaching deep, Seraph feels warmth akin to the feel of the sun on closed eyelids flood through her entire body, then radiate out from her hands. Golden cosmic light rays spiral from her outstretched hands in sublime scintillation. DRXWUP9l.jpg

Sweat pours down her temples, rolls shining down her neck, but still Seraph pushes on. The light becomes a warm, inviting, all-encompassing glow that limns everyone in the area, the hurt and the dead alike, all living things. Their bodies, too, feel that same enheartening tingle of healing.

"Life is...sacred," she says aloud, her voice strained with sheer effort. No matter the cost to herself, she will not let this pass. As wounds knit themselves, the cries and the tears of the bereaved drive her yet further.

"Return here!" she cries. "Return to your loved ones! Return...HOME!" Seraph's voice takes on an echoing boom as she utters that last command, blazing like a morning star descended to Earth, the light guiding the wayward spirits back.

In the aftermath, her chest heaving, Seraph lets her arms fall and she sinks back to the ground, falling to her knees in exhaustion. Healing is difficult at the best of times, but to restore the slain makes it truly demanding. Yet she cannot leave them to their fates, for those fates have been altered by forces outside the natural cycles.

Rising again, Seraph knows she must press on. Others need her help, and apparently at least one of Earth's super-powered beings is present....

spacer.pngThe blast wave hits Olivia before she has a chance to brace herself. She's probably lucky; that means she keeps herself loose, able to roll with the impact at least a little. She's sent tumbling across the pavement for several yards, before skidding to a stop at a nearby building. She doesn't even feel the cuts and scrapes. She's rattled for a moment or two, but her accelerated thinking lets her reorient surprisingly quickly, and her adrenaline starts pumping.

What the hell was that?!

Olivia rolls to one knee takes a quick moment to survey her surroundings, her mind going into overdrive. Multiple buildings were on fire, and people were screaming and starting to panic and run now that the initial shock was wearing off. What was that explosion? She would've thought it was a gas main or maybe an electrical substation, but that wouldn't have caused that cloud of mist. And what made the cloud form a cyclone, and shoot bolts of lightning?

She shakes her head. There would be time to investigate that once she was sure people were safe.

Immensely glad she brought her suit with her on this trip, Olivia flips a switch on her belt.

spacer.pngIt takes a second or two before anything seems to happen, other than a tiny, high-pitched whirring sound that is lost in the din. Then the amber-orange light of small glowing dots appear, shining dimly through her clothes from the bodysuit worn beneath. There's a light just below each side of her collarbone, another one on each shoulder, two on both the front and back of her ribs, one just above the small of her back, one above each hip, and one in the center of her chest. The spots grow brighter, and seem to be drawing the ambient sunlight together like motes of floating dust.

These spots, her suit's photon condensers, spin up quickly, and from each one threadlike projections of solid light bloom and begin to weave together, forming bands of material. These encircle her body, quickly encasing her in planes of force that mimic the shape of a human being.

Moments after activation, the armor hovers around Olivia, increasing her apparent size and stature. She is dimly visible within it, occupying the torso of the armor with plenty of room. The arms seem to follow the movements of her own within, but this seems to be an optional feature; she reaches down and presses another button on her belt without her projected arms moving. The opacity of the solid light then increases, and she is no longer visible.

Briefly withdrawing her arms from her armor, Olivia opens a holographic display and places it next to her head. A couple of quick motions of her fingers let her dial a call to 9-1-1. She lets the call play in the background; it seems like she's far from the only one trying to contact emergency services, and the line is busy. If the line picks up, she trusts her quick thinking to notice despite the distractions. She tunes her radio receiver to try and pick up emergency dispatches, as well. Best to stay in communication.

Suddenly, it seemed like someone else had the same idea. As the newfound voice shouts in Olivia's mind, she's briefly worried that it's a sign of an attack, before the voice apologizes. Whoever this woman was, she must be as scared as everyone else. As the voice continues, Olivia is skeptical, but not particularly suspicious. The existence of telepathy was known; it wasn't completely unreasonable that a telepath could be here, trying to coordinate rescue efforts.

As the telepath continues, Olivia rises to her feet. The voice was vaguely familiar, in a comforting way, but she couldn't quite place it. But as she reached out to those willing to help, Olivia tentatively sent out a thought in reply.

<Understood, Operator. I need to check on the people I came here with, but then I'm good to go. I'm more useful than I sound; I can fly and bench press a garbage truck. Point me where I'm needed.>

She doesn't mention that this is the first real trial by fire for the suit, and for herself within it. Best to keep that to herself.

With that, Olivia looks around and spots Phillipe's wheelchair, smoking where it was struck by lightning. Both he and Jordan were nowhere to be found.

Her heart nearly stopped; Phillipe had just talked about how fragile he was, and now he'd been flung through a window. With a flare of amber light, Hardlight jets forward, borne aloft on beams of light. She reaches the window and braces her hands against the top as she leans in, searching for Phillipe. She looks at the panicking customers in the store, and hopes she isn't scaring them more. Her voice comes through her armor strangely, modulated by the planes of solid light, helping to disguise her voice. She hopes they'll still understand her.

"Is everyone okay?! Where's the man who came through the window? Is he hurt?"

OOC

Sorry for the long post; had a lot to catch up on. Sorry I wasn't able to include Seraph's post, this was already so long. I'm not sure that Olivia would've been able to hear her, or realize what she did from her distance away, anyway.

Olivia will use her Standard Action to activate her armor, and her Move Action to move toward the building that Phillip was launched into. No rolls required.

AnalystHeadshot.png.6b413252b483fe1acd815687e1adddb4.png<"Thank you. Trust me, you're going to be useful. Glad to be working with professionals.">

Cordelia smiles. She's... a little awed by the sound of her new friends. A consummate styled focus, and... well, the second one was something she still couldn't understand, but a glance at her mental scape was enough to make her feel reverent. They both seem to know what they're doing. Not something she could say for herself. She'd struck lucky with the two of them. Her mental conversation pauses briefly as she gets deeper into Book Crooks, but soon enough she's back on the line, even as she starts helping an injured shopper to his feet.

<"Some people are doing better than others. I've done what I can to calm everyone, but a few kind words won't fix a broken bone. There's gonna be people who need help getting clear. Breaking it down, point by point...">

She goes over the full state of Yellow Brick Row for everyone listening. Every panicking crowd, every injured civilian. Her new friends should have a birds eye view of the whole place: including the interiors. Everything they'll need to clear the Row.

At Book Crooks, Iroha's gotten the rear entrance open, and the crowd are starting to clear out. Cordelia's made for the stairs, trying to help the last few survivors evacuate before the fire spreads through the entire building. But as she goes, the communications from a few of the civilians turn... different. When Seraph and Hardlight hear the mental broadcast, there's an irritated edge to it.

<"Something... odd. People are starting to get angry at individuals in the crowd? Merciful... is someone starting a lynch mob?">

A part of her doesn't want to believe anyone could be that stupid, but Cordelia can already hear her grandma's voice. No one ever went broke betting against human foolishness. Cordelia's broadcasting turns to those few angered minds she'd already picked out.

<"We have a problem?">

Pinnacle.jpg.0f3da28df433b1d37a702f92462f4bec.jpgPinnacle, Paragon of Emerald City

DODGE: +6 | PARRY: +6 | TOU: +14 | FORT: +10 | WILL: +10

HERO POINTS: 5 4 | LUCK: 2

ACTIVE EFFECTS: None

CONDITIONS: None.

Saturday, June 3, 2023, Yellow Brick Row:

Quentin.jpg.a120b138556a2fd17fcb2081b860a8ca.jpgQuentin carried Casey to the side walk, he was pleased to see that Seahawks had started directing some traffic, keeping the civilians from wandering too far. He nodded his thanks, retired police, maybe? He was amazed at the calm that the man displayed while organizing the terrified civilians, herding them to the north taking them past the ...

Suddenly he was clutching his head ...another voice, a presence, like static pressing at the edge of his consciousness. His face screwed itself into a frown, as he centered his thoughts, he felt small, insignificant, like he was, once again, in that void, being judged, evaluated by some cold, calculating ... otherness. He shook his head, forcing, looking to Seahawk, he nodded his thanks, scanned the crowd. There! It's gaudy crisscrossed green and white blazer, curls of yellow hair painted like a bald pate on the stem nut, it's outlet painted like a large, bulbous nose. It was laughable, fire hydrants painted like Munchkins on the Yellow Brick Row, some sort of cruel joke. He moved through the crowd, slamming through scattered debris, chairs, tables, he saw a stroller lying on it's side, discarded in the chaos and shuddered to think what that meant, refused to face it now. One yard at a time, the fires were between the bystanders and a corridor for EMS, he needed to deal with that, immediately. The rest, as terrible as it was, would have to wait.

He grabbed a large table, dragged it over and looked around for debris, something, he could use to twist the bolt off of the outlet, unleashing a torrent of water towards the blaze that threatened the row itself. He found a piece of twisted metal, part of a hansom cab, he grabbed it, tried to twist it, pry the cap off, he felt pain in his hands, he looked quickly, the fire belching black smoke into the air, expecting to find his hands bloodied, ripped open from jagged metal, he found that the aluminum and steel yoke had sheared off in his grip. "What ever you're doing kid, do it quick," Seahawks yelled through the smoke. Quentin nodded, grabbed the outlet, he was mad, this was mad, he needed a crowbar, a lug wrench, something, what was he doing. Instead, he looked to Seahawk, desperation in the older man's eyes, Quentin noted his daughter behind his legs, clutching tightly, eyes screwed tightly shut. He spoke to her, "Just like a day at the splash pad, right?" She opened her eyes, and the hope that he saw there gave him all the strength he needed.

OOCSpending a Hero Point to Edit Scene, Seahawks is actually a Danny Glover-esque this was my last day before retirement Police Officer, who can help direct traffic and create a corridor for EMS to get access to the Row. And yes, will likely be one of Pinnacle's contacts eventually.

Moving to the fire hydrant, Quentin will use his strength to open it up, sending a gout of flame towards the fire's adjacent the closest crowd. He brought the table with him to deflect the spout of water, hoping to aim it as long as the pressure holds.

Edited by Zen Gypsy (see edit history)

Jordan.png.62ec93d3d4ca8ae7e489e89411574f07.png

TEMPEST

Completely shocked by what he just did, he pulls his mind back to the present.

"Ummm, please calmly exit the building and move to a safe location. Those not injured, please help the injured."

With that he floats back out of the building and almost collides with a winged woman who seems to be healing injured people around her. He glances looking for Phillipe and Oliva. He is worried for them, but there are so many people hurt or in danger that he feels all he can do is help those closest and keep looking.

At the same time he starts hearing a voice talking, but he can't see who is doing the talking.

"Whoa! Um hi there. Are you the one I hear talking?"

He glances around taking in the rest of the burning buildings.

"Well, it seems I have a way of putting out these fires, so I am going to do that."

With that he moves to the next closest fires and tries the wind trick again to put them out. With all the yelling at confusion he is having a hard time figuring out if anyone is trapped behind or in this burning building.

He hears the warning that some people are getting angry. He hopes they keep themselves under control. There is enough damage around here without some idiots joining in and causing more.

Actions

Edited by Draidden (see edit history)

spacer.pngPhillipe slowly stood, shaking his head to clear it with his ears ringing and his chest pounding, throwing scraps of the building that had fallen onto him in every direction. "What the hell????" His voice suddenly had a resonant quality as if he were talking into a crystal glass and the vibrations of the rim were echoing through every word. His point of view was weird as well. Somehow it was higher than he was used to, even when he was standing outside of his wheelchair. He looked down at his body and was stunned to see not his own flesh and bone, but what appeared to be solid bluish-white crystal with streaks of various reflected colors.

He took a step, forward, stumbling against the wall and bracing himself. This body was larger and heavier, so it took a moment for him to get the feel of how it moved. As his new form quickly became to feel more natural, Phillipe began to hold himself straighter, taller. Holding his head high, he pushed forward out into the street to take in the surroundings. He could feel the heat of the fire in the building next to him. Frowning, he looked around to make sure no one was trapped in the fire.

As he looked around, he felt a strange strength that he hadn't felt before. That he could deal with whatever came up and not worry about becoming a broken bag of bones.

AnalystHeadshot.png.6b413252b483fe1acd815687e1adddb4.png<"Heh. Sounds like you're getting some fans, flyboy. People can see all three of you. Nice job.">

Analyst is still trying to double task, working on helping the crowd out of the bookshop while keeping the other first responders up to date. She can't resume her psychic scan while keeping the line open, so she's currently checking the upper level of Book Crooks, in case someone scared cut their link.

<"Things are going well so far. Biggest remaining crowd seems to be caught between two burning areas on the lower Row. No immediate threat, but..">

But then, the scan... returns. All those screams, those cries of fear, start echoing in Cordelia's head. They drown out the active voices of the Row inhabitants Cordelia had been trying to coordinate. Analyst clutches her temples, falling to the floor and dropping the impromptu half-mask she'd been holding in front of her face. The roar of the flames drowns out her half-voiced screams, her lungs full of smoke as she tries to cough it away.

makeitstopmakeitstopmakeitstop...

OOCTriggering Cordelia's Playback complication. She's used her telepathy to help the crowd, but is now incapacitated and in danger herself

The Yellow Brick Row, 1:01 p.m.

Everyone:

Facing horrific tragedy a collection of special people emerge from the Silver-Storm's destructive aftermath! Victims of the terrifying event that may have been critically-wounded or even perished were restored to a level of health that would keep them out of a hospital! Pedestrians too frightened to move were rescued and inspired to help their fellow citizens when they needed assistance the most! Within the scattered civilian crowds a few trained EMS personnel rushed to aid the injured! Hellish flames threatening to consume Row businesses were being extinguished by amazing new champions! The sound of sirens - ambulances, fire trucks, ECPD - echoed frm a distant but growing closer by the moment!

Barely knowing what they were doing, Quentin, Cordelia, Olivia, Jordan and Phillipe had taken their first steps towards true heroism! Mic and Celeste were no strangers to danger, but never in their lives would they imagine what has happened today would occur in 'scenic' Emerald City! Civilians who weren't on the phones with 911 had turned their cameras on the stunning superheroes who appeared from literally nowhere! Most of the crowds couldn't stop looking at Jordan, Quentin and the others - as if famous celebrities has appeared on the Row!

But, the group had mastered unexpected calamity saving nearly dozens of innocent citizens from certain death! They had become ... heroes?!?

Meanwhile Cordelia was suddenly overwhelmed by an unexpected psychic relapse as the fires of the burning building crept closer --!

Screenshot2023-08-07162533.png.6e50cf127b689ec541977c286ec9a904.png

Edited by Jedaii (see edit history)

Outside of Book Crooks, Iroha is slowly looking over the faces of the people who've gotten out of the store. The proprieters, Ben and Matt, celebrated guest Tsumugi Hakura... no sign of Cordelia. The young woman's heart goes cold. As the EMTs and fire department close in on the row, she calls out at the top of her lungs

"Hey... someone? Anyone? Help! My friend's still in there somewhere!"

AnalystHeadshot.png.6b413252b483fe1acd815687e1adddb4.pngUp on the second floor, Cordelia is on the smouldering floor, franticly twitching and rolling, her body trying to avoid the stimuli it doesn't know how to process. The feedback's only gotten worse: every scream, every worried voice and petrified thought blotting out her sight, her smell. She can barely remember where she was a second ago. She can barely breathe.

<It's not real. It's not real.> Denial, thrown out into the void, hoping that argument can stop reality. It's hopeless. The thought's a whisper in the face of a storm. Cordelia doesn't have the will or the training to shut this down. She can feel something crash down on her. Some kind of debris? More voices? She can't even tell at this point.

It's starting to feel like the end...

Jordan.png.62ec93d3d4ca8ae7e489e89411574f07.png

TEMPEST

Jordan hears the call for help from the lady and sees her pointing at one of the burning buildings.

"Hey, winged lady. If I put out the flames, can you get in there and get the trapped person or people out?"

He looks at Seraph and hopes that she is willing to help.

Actions

Edited by Draidden (see edit history)

spacer.pngAt Operator's comment, Olivia can't help but laugh.

<Not a professional, actually. Just an enthusiastic amateur. But update received. I'll pitch in where I can, but give me a shout if I'm needed elsewhere more.>

As she searched the building and tried to guide the panicking people towards an exit, suddenly the rubble started to shift; from underneath it came a massive figure, standing taller than Olivia did even in her armor. He looked like a statue chiseled from diamond, and as he straightened himself, he stumbled, as though maybe he was hurt.

Finding out if Phillipe was safe was still high on her list of priorities, but Liv couldn't ignore a person who needed help. With a soft thmp of her armored feet on the ground, she drew up close to the figure, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Hey, are you okay? What happened to you?"

In the distance, she heard approaching sirens; emergency services on their way, almost certainly. Almost absentmindedly, Olivia tunes her radio receiver to try and pick up their radios; if she can figure out what direction they're coming from, she can make sure the route is cleared of rubble or debris.

OOC

Not much in the way of actual Actions currently. Gonna try to get up to speed with Phillipe, and I imagine that'll lead toward us both jumping into action.

I do want Olivia to try and tune in to emergency radio, though, to make sure that they have a clear approach. I'm not sure if that requires a roll, but if it does, that's fine.

Pinnacle.jpg.0f3da28df433b1d37a702f92462f4bec.jpgPinnacle, Paragon of Emerald City

DODGE: +6 | PARRY: +6 | TOU: +14 | FORT: +10 | WILL: +10

HERO POINTS: 5 4 | LUCK: 2

ACTIVE EFFECTS: None

CONDITIONS: None.

Saturday, June 3, 2023, Yellow Brick Row, 1:01 p.m.:

Quentin.jpg.a120b138556a2fd17fcb2081b860a8ca.jpgQuentin moved into the Yellow Brick Row, some people were on their phones, 9-1-1, family, or snapping pictures, he shook his head, incredulously. "People are in danger, help those too injured to help themselves, keep the street clear! EMS will be here shortly!" He moved through the crowds effortlessly, moving west down the Row, "Mom?!" He called, "Adrienne?!? Where are you!!" As he called out, searching frantically for his mother's brightly colored kerchief and steel grey hair, but there was too much chaos, even as he noted people flying ... FLYING ... a few blocks down. There was still fire spilling out from some buildings on the east end.

Outside of Book Crooks, Iroha is slowly looking over the faces of the people who've gotten out of the store. The proprietors, Ben and Matt, celebrated guest Tsumugi Hakura... no sign of Cordelia. The young woman's heart goes cold. As the EMTs and fire department close in on the row, she calls out at the top of her lungs

"Hey... someone? Anyone? Help! My friend's still in there somewhere!"

A panicking young woman, beret, brown dress, pointing towards the second floor of a converted flat, ash and burnt papers drifting down like some sort of black snow. It was strange, this young woman's panic calmed his own, he couldn't do anything for his mother now, but he could do something for this woman's companion here and now. His legs coiled beneath him as he leapt for the blown out window, hoping the same strength that allowed him to tear the bolt off of the hydrant would allow him to pull himself through the window without cutting his hand to shreds on broken glass. "I've got your friend!" He called over his shoulder, "Clear the rest of these people! Head east down the Row!" Seahawks was there, he would calm them down while Quentin went to work. Something was wrong, the leap that was supposed to send him up to grab the ledge propelled him forward like a missile, his shoulder slammed into the window sill, brick and mortar shattered as his body was propelled through it. He came to a stop, crouched low, smoke was filling the room. Suddenly Quentin's head constricted like it was in a vice, the room spun, everything was washed in shades of red, orange and yellow, the floor was cooler, it was grey, 'THERE,' he thought to himself, 'someone beneath the layer of smoke.' He moved forward, grabbed the semi conscious form. "I've got you, friend, just hold tight if you can."

Out of Character ActionsMove Action to use Flight to hit the 2nd story of Book store

Free Action to switch to Infravision to find Cordellia's body through the smoke.

Standard Action to pick her up.

AnalystHeadshot.png.6b413252b483fe1acd815687e1adddb4.pngThe woman on the floor is not doing well. Her eyes can't focus on Quentin, flickering in various directions that don't seem to line up with anything in reality.

"notrealnotrealnotreal." She's gasping for air, clutching onto a book as Quentin hoists her up. She fights at first, her panic increasing at this strange force moving her, but after a second she starts to calm. Her eye movement starts to slow, and her breathing stabilizes. She's not back yet but she's getting there.

out. getting out. need to get out

It's getting cooler now. She can feel the heat of the flame starting to fade, the smoke thin out.

almost thereJust setting up Cordelia regaining consciousness in time to at least notice Quentin saved her.