Prologue :: Keep it Secret, Keep it Safe!

Cerberus

Prologue :: Keep it Secret, Keep it Safe!

Six helmed knights stood facing one another upon a meticulous stone mosaic placed into a polished marble floor. The obsidian tiles depicted a sigil of three branches reaching out from a central eye. The masoned walls around them were close, adorned in heavy crimson tapestries. Pale torchlight from a lone sconce was swallowed by their blackened breastplates and the deep folds of their midnight cloaks.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/6dhyyEq.png[/img] [b]Black Hand[/b]|[i]Unknown[/i]
6dhyyEq.png Black Hand | Unknown

“To Neverwinter.” one spoke in a raspy common tongue.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/AACVEYB.png[/img] [b]He Who Watches[/b]|[i]Unknown[/i]
AACVEYB.png He Who Watches | Unknown

“Yes...” answered an otherworldly voice as if from the walls themselves, in all languages at once.

[center][img]https://i.imgur.com/6mtJNq2.png[/img][/center]
6mtJNq2.png

Aboard a caravan traveling to Neverwinter, you re-read Gundren’s letter. Something about it doesn’t sit well with you.  His message had been short, mirthless and had an urgency that hinted at some trouble or dire need in Neverwinter.  The hastily scrawled writing and its brevity didn’t rightly portray the jovial dwarf you so fondly remembered. 

Gundren Rockseeker was a friend -- a close friend.  Someone you could confide in and someone you know would stand with you if trouble darkened your steps.  He was a great teller of tall tales, an adventurer and archaeologist who was extensively traveled, having visited countless cultures and had as many daring expeditions.  The man in this letter, was not the bold, brave explorer you knew.  This man was afraid.

The decision to answer Gundren’s request for aid was easy.  He had been so supportive and helpful in your comeuppance that you could not deny his call, even if it may put you in harm’s way.  The letter had said to come ‘armed’ and as you checked the condition of your weapons you wondered what you might be getting involved in. Only time would tell but another pass of the sharpening stone seemed prudent.

[center][img]https://i.imgur.com/6mtJNq2.png[/img][/center]
6mtJNq2.png

It is approaching evening on Shieldmeet, a day of festivals and oaths in Midsummer.  Despite Neverwinter’s roots next to the sea, this evening’s air is hot and humid, absent of any breeze.  The revelers are in decline, wrapping up their celebrations with sweaty brows as the City Watch swelter beneath steel-pot helms and their colorful wool overcoats marking their office.

Traversing the city to the River District, you begin to question why Gundren wanted to meet ‘behind’ the Board Laid Bare, a perfectly good restaurant and gathering place.  Wouldn’t it be much more comfortable a setting to discuss business?  This inconsistency plucks at your nerves.

You first catch sight of Gundren at the end of the alley behind the Board Laid Bare – precisely where he indicated you should meet him.  He’s pacing the small enclosed dead end working a burlap covered package in his hands. From the movement of his lips, he’s mumbling to himself.  His sharp eyes pick up your movement at the head of the alley and relief washes the worry from his face.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/BYpSUQo.png[/img][b]Gundren Rockseeker[/b]|[i]Miner / Archaeologist[/i]
BYpSUQo.png Gundren Rockseeker | Miner / Archaeologist

“Quickly now…” he barks, waving you down to him.

Edited by Cerberus (see edit history)

[img]https://i.imgur.com/TtIqZNG.png[/img] [b]Absalom Coin[/b]|[i]Halfling Trickster[/i]
TtIqZNG.png Absalom Coin | Halfling Trickster

Coin loved nothing more than a blazing fire and a generous meal, paired with a top-shelf drink and fine conversation. When receiving Gundren’s letter during the festive season of Shieldmeet, the phantoms of sizzling meats and shots of spice-flavored whisky played through the halfling’s mind fortress. However, the written missive, with its dubious terms that appeared to form a more clandestine meeting, spoiled the visions of a wild party full of bouncing bosoms and laughter late into the night.

Another thing Coin loved were family and friends, and Gundren was the latter. The halfling had always appreciated his stories of adventure and daring, of digs and discoveries, and of fighting denizens in the dark places only the brave dare tread. Coin looked up to Gundren, literally, and if the diminutive halfling was a bit taller, and a lot bulkier, and better with an axe, and could see in the dark, and… well.

Yet, Coin had his own skill sets. Coin, himself, was a living, breathing, good luck charm, and likely why Gundren had called for his presence. Although small in stature, his heart was brave if not fearless, and he had quite the knack for avoiding trouble and “getting things” that he and his friends wanted. And he was fast - Coin could run circles around most others - and it was with this speed and intensity he rushed to his friend’s aid…

…because a scared Dwarf is serious business.

Coin spied Gundren at the end of the narrow alley and immediately didn’t like it: a dead end with a singular egress; a narrow prickling with blind corners; flanked on all sides with elevated positions - Gundren was fashioning them “fish in a barrel.”

“Gundren…,” he protested softly on his breath.

But, the Dwarf was a pal, so Coin strolled on into the tight spaces. Currently, there was no visible threat beyond just the circumstances and terms of the meet. It was for these reasons he sent his senses forward.

Coin also squinted and tried to make out what Gundren might be mouthing.

Stopping short at a blind corner to his right, the halfling peeked, his gaze running bottom to top and along the lane, before continuing on.

He tossed a friendly wave to Gundren as he approached.

Edited by The Coy Wonder (see edit history)
Name
Coin's Perception Ahead
1d20+2 12
Coin's Perception at Blind Corner
1d20+2 7
Coin Perception Reading Lips (if speaking Common)
1d20+2 10

[img]https://i.imgur.com/U5v1pdi.png[/img][b]Gomrund Hammerfrost[/b]|[i]Dwarf Cleric[/i]
U5v1pdi.png Gomrund Hammerfrost | Dwarf Cleric

Gomrund Hammerfrost, son of Grombrindil Hammerfrost, pondered the summons from Gundren with great concern. It had a grim composition about it, specifically the direction to come armed. While Gomrund rarely traveled without his affects, the command came unexpected. After a hurried pack and ride to Shieldmeet, the cleric found himself in the company of three others, specifically two elves and a halfling. He sat quietly among them until the caravan ground to a halt. The halfling almost immediately dismounted strode away in the alley.

Gomrund checked his person to verify he had everything, disembarked to the arranged meeting point. He had been to Shieldmeet a several years before, traveling with his family to conduct trade. He himself stayed within the city walls to complete mason work as part of the trade with one of the city council member's home. He shared what most humans would consider a posh room at a nearby inn with a contingency of dwarves to complete the work. It was here he was introduced to Gundren as he carved the stone the miner had harvested from a local quarry.

This was a different meeting completely. He openly strode up to Gundren, keeping his salutations to a minimal nod and verbal acknowledgement. "Well met, Gundren," he said in a low baritone.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/RqG66gA.png[/img][b]Fengolor Pineshadow[/b]|[i]Elf Druid[/i]
RqG66gA.png Fengolor Pineshadow | Elf Druid

Fengolor arrives at the alley where Gundren had instructed to meet. He notices others here as well, all of whom he recognizes though he knows some better than others. This must be serious indeed for Gundren to have gathered such a group. Fengolor enters the alley and stops beside Coin, assessing the situation.

Fengolor waves to his friend Gundren, and tries to determine what is going on.

Insight Check

Roll

Name
Roll
1d20+5 8

[img]https://i.imgur.com/V0Q008E.png[/img][b]Asia Moonglow[/b]|[i]Elf Ranger[/i]
V0Q008E.png Asia Moonglow | Elf Ranger

Asia is not much for traveling in a caravan. However, after receiving Gundren’s letter she gathers up her gear and heads out.  Along the journey contemplating the vagueness and haste in which the letter was written, “Come ‘armed’ and meet ‘behind’ the Board Laid Bare. This doesn’t sound much like my friend who is always up for adventure. I don’t think in all the time I have known him he has ever told me to meet him armed.  

Walking toward the Board Laid Bare, Asia pulls her bow from her back and holds it to her right side, along with a quiver in her left hand. If my friend Gundren says to come ‘armed’ then that’s just how I will arrive. 

Walking to the building and noticing Gundren at the end of the alley, and others headed towards him. She hugs the right side of the alley way and heads towards the others, listening and looking for anything that might be out of place. Stopping short of them and just shy of some barrels on the side of the building. Asia concentrates on everything that is going on around her. 

Name
Perception Check
1d20+4 11

All living things have a sense that protects them from impending danger.  A cat’s hair will rise on its back, a fish will draw close to structure, and a horse will snort or become restless. A similar feeling was being shared by the adventures as they entered the narrows of a darkening alley to see a clearly distraught friend in need.  The desire to rush to Gundren was strong, but high walls and blind corners had the more wary of the troop proceeding slowly, senses focused outward in search of a potential threat.

Perhaps it was Asia’s distrust of the city, more akin to the flora and fauna of Neverwinter Wood, that had her on edge.  She took up her bow and placed a hand to her quiver ready to loose a shot if any foe were to have the misfortune to enter the alley with her and her new companions.

Fengolor too felt the heavy atmosphere of the meeting and stopped short next to a dubious looking halfling he knew from street rumors was a nair-do-well named “Coin.” A dwarf as well traveled as Gundren would keep strange company he figured.  Offering a supportive wave, Fengolor searched Gundren’s face and deamnor for any clues.

Accustom to dark alleys and things that happen when no one else can see, Coin was taking no chances. He quickly scanned every place a man could lay in wait for a mark, but found nothing sinister in the deepening shadows and debris. Tactically, this alley was a nightmare.  If Gundren picked it for a meeting, there must have been greater risks involved with meeting in public.  A dwarf as experienced with trouble as Gundren would not have made this choice lightly, he knew.

Gomrund, a man a faith, walked without fear. He strode boldly through the corridor, picking his way past rotting casks and crates until he came to rest before Gundren. He warmly embraced his friend with a comforting squeeze of the shoulder.  “Well met…” he offered in a simple greeting, ready and open to hear the dwarf’s testimony.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/BYpSUQo.png[/img][b]Gundren Rockseeker[/b]
BYpSUQo.png Gundren Rockseeker

Gundren managed a smile, “I’m so glad you’ve come, brother. I’m in need of your help.”  He placed a heavy hand on Gomrund’s shoulder, and eventhough it felt like a boulder resting there, Gomrund felt it trembling.

Leaning to peer past Gomrund, Gundren beckoned to the others, “Come now, don’t make me holler down this gods-forsaken alley.”

[img]https://i.imgur.com/TtIqZNG.png[/img] [b]Absalom Coin[/b]|[i]Halfling Trickster[/i]

Coin's arched brow relaxed. A cursory survey of the alley and it's branching spurs produced little but shadows and the odd bits of the detritus left behind by city folk - no discernible threats...

...yet.

Finding the setting copasetic, the halfling smiled brightly and strutted up to the two dwarves, extending his tiny barrel chest and stiffening his arms out at his side as if to parody the burly men. "Oy! How goes tha battle, mates? Tymora smil'n on ye, me hopes?"

Coin looked Gundren up and down.

Name
Investigation (see private text)
1d20+4 2

[img]https://i.imgur.com/V0Q008E.png[/img][b]Asia Moonglow[/b]|[i]Elf Ranger[/i]

After taking a few moments to really concentrate on the things around her in the alley, Asia doesn’t sense anything that could be a danger to her or the others before her.  

Asia with her bow and quiver still at the ready steps back into the alley to get around the barrels. She proceeds towards Gundren, Coin and Gomrund. Hello gentlemen, she says, nodding her head as she reaches them. This is a fine place you have chosen for us to meet my friend.  

Asia leans her back against the wall of the building and places her foot on it as well, making sure no one can come up behind her in this god-forsaken alley. Asia keeps her ears and eyes open checking to see if anyone else is nearby. She also tries to take a closer look at the burlap covered package Gundren has in his hands. 

Name
Perception Check
1d20+4 3
Insight Check
1d20+4 4

[img]https://i.imgur.com/RqG66gA.png[/img][b]Fengolor Pineshadow[/b]|[i]Elf Druid[/i]

Fengolar moves closer to his friend and the rest of the group, however, he positions himself so that he can keep an eye on the opening of the alley to make sure they were not followed or have any unwelcome guests.

"My friend, it looks as if you haven't slept in days! If I had to guess I would say you are running from something. Tell us, what's wrong."

Fengolor takes a closer look at the bag Gundren is holding.

Perception Check

Name
Perception Check
1d20+5 17

The party was gathered around Gundren Rockseeker and the nervous, pacing dwarf paused and took on a semblance of the experienced delver they once knew.  His feet planted wide and firmly, cutting a stoic figure. His barrel chest puffed out as his shoulders rose with renewed confidence, but his hands still fidgeted with the burlap package hinting that there was more going on behind his stone-cut façade than mere gratitude that each friend had answered his call.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/BYpSUQo.png[/img][b]Gundren Rockseeker[/b]
BYpSUQo.png Gundren Rockseeker

He took a brief moment to look each young adventurer in the eye as he breathed deeply, allowing a long sigh to blow past his lips.  Was it fear that gave him pause, or excitement?

“First…” he began, “thank you for coming. I gave you more warning than encouragement and you came anyway.”  He smirked, “That’s true grit you have.” 

He paused, swallowed, preparing.  

“Lads, my brothers and I have made a very big discovery….’legendary’ you might say.”

His hands gripped the package as he considered his next words.

“It’s no exaggeration when I say this discovery could change the face of the Sword Coast…forever.  Just as it did over 500 years ago.”

Gundren’s eyes become glassy as he looked back into his memory and recalled a lifetime of research.

“In the 10 century, clans of Dwarves and Gnomes formed a pact, known as the “Phandelver’s Pact.  They agreed to share the vast wealth of a cavernous mine, known as Wave Echo Cavern.”

The dwarf’s eyes glint at the prospect of such a place.

“The cavern was rich in Mithril and Platinum, but it had an even more special resource.  The mine itself was located on a magical ley line that seeped raw arcane energy.   Human wizards from the Grand City of Phandalin, partnered with the clans to harness the energy into a forge which came to be called the “Forge of Spells.   With it, the crafters of the pact races, Dwarves, Gnomes and Mankind could enchant any weapon, any armor, and any tool.  This partnership begat a golden age of progress along the Sword Coast”

The shadows deepened in the Alley as the party considered Gundren’s record of history.  He continued, his tone of wonder replaced with a darking seriousness.

“In the Year of the Empty Hourglass, the Orcish Warbands of Uruth Ukrypt descended from the Sword Mountains and began to lay waste to the Sword Coast with the ultimate goal to sack Waterdeep.  The horde destroyed Phandalin, raising it to the very ground.”

Gundren began pulling back the burlap from the package.

“The Pact defended Phandalin and Wave Echo Cavern but were overwhelmed.  They were destroyed to the last man and the location of the magical mine was lost to history.”

Another layer of burlap pulled away, and you see the flash of gold and the glint of crystal.

“It was lost to history, until now…”

Gundren removes the last layer of burlap revealing a lump of clear crystal, organically inlaid with gold lines like capillaries, converging into what could only be a large arterial valve.  Rockerseeker presents in his gloved hands, a large crystalline heart the size of a cantaloupe.

ITEM_Key.jpg

"Shiny!..." the halfling exclaimed in his mind as his eyes, filled with both wonder and curiosity, studied the crystalline heart.

Coin whispered, not even aware he was doing so, but the impetus of the artifact had made his voice small, "What IS that!?"

He considered the "heart", trying to recall any old stories, written in tomes he had read or passed to him in the oral tradition.

Edited by The Coy Wonder (see edit history)
Name
Knowledge: Arcana
1d20+2 13
Knowledge: History
1d20+2 6
Knowledge: Nature
1d20+2 15
Knowledge: Religion
1d20+2 11

Asia looks at the crystalline heart and thinks about the story Gundren has just recounted to them. Pondering if she has ever heard this tale before. Gundren, how does this (pointing to the heart) reveal a location to a long ago forgotten or lost city? It’s very unique and beautiful but what’s its relevance to why you have brought us here today?”  

Hearing voices coming from the entry to the alley way, Asia steps away from the wall and across the alley to be able to have a better view and vantage point of what is happening at the mouth. Bow in hand but down at her side she looks towards the street. Hoping they continue past without any trouble.  

Name
Insight
1d20+4 16
Preception
1d20+4 14

Fengolor looks upon the crystalline heart with awe. It is truly a testament to the skill of whoever crafted such a marvel. Fengolor was about to speak when he noticed Asia's attention was directed toward the opening of the alley. Being more vigilant as a result of the secretive activity as of late, Fengolor casually draws his dagger from a sheath secured at his waist. He looks toward the end of the alley to see what has caught Asia's attention.

Perception

Name
Perception
1d20+5 8

[img]https://i.imgur.com/U5v1pdi.png[/img][b]Gomrund Hammerfrost[/b]|[i]Dwarf Cleric[/i]
U5v1pdi.png Gomrund Hammerfrost | Dwarf Cleric

On 8/13/2023 at 10:55 AM, Cerberus said:

“It was lost to history, until now…”

A crystalline heart...I'm certain I know of this. "Hmmm..." pondered the cleric. Gomrund took a solid look at what his brother dwarf unveiled and considered the history Gundren spoke. Dwarves were a proud race but secretive amongst outsiders. Could it be a relic of titleship? Perhaps it was the heart of a fell creature of bygone times? Any way he considered it, he thought deeply to recall half remembered stories he had heard of such a wonderous gem.

The facets of the crystal were of the most delicate he had seen. It was no wonder he elected to visit in this back alley, out of the sunlight. Crystal as clear as this would certainly produce prisms on every surface and would catch the eyes of any ne'er-do-wells.

"How'd ye come by this, Master Rockseeker?"

Name
History Recollection
1d20+3 1
Religion
1d20+3 5