Indenting text changes visual presentation of text.

Varuna

My character sheet here https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/8358-babel-—-linden-olney/ has a visual oddity. If you look at the TALENTS section, then find the CRIME and LAW skills, you'll see that I indented four paragraphs. However, the act of indenting those four paragraphs has caused them to be rendered in a slightly larger text size.

Looking at the page source, though, I cannot see where this is happening. I would like the indented text to be the same size as the rest of the page's entry text, but I don't know how to manage that. What size is the text supposed to be? How do you enforce "default" text size?

• 4 weeks later...

@Varuna Sorry this took so long to take a look at. It seems the indented text has been set to font-size: 15px while the rest of the text is font-size: 13.333px. Neither of those are standard sizes for MW so I believe it was probably copy-pasted from another location. Default font size will only override one of the standard sizes; the fastest way to get it back to default is to select the affected text, select any of our standard font sizes, and then select the Default font size.

I've been playing around with this, and I cannot make it work. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'll attach a video of what I'm seeing, just to make sure I'm not making a super simple mistake somewhere.

In the video you'll see the Crime and Law paragraphs and the indented paragraphs are of a different size. I select the C&L text and change it to text size 16. I select the indented paragraphs text and set it to text size 16. To me, both these paragraphs are now the same size.

I then select both the C&L text and the indented text and set them to text size Default. The two text sections change font size, but they change to two different font sizes! I have no idea what's going on...

My document was indeed copied over from the OG site. It looks like I'll have to re– do everything since I cannot figure this out.

I haven't been using this site very long, but I'm struggling with it. The text Size menu doesn't tell you what size the text is, unless you specifically set it to a number. The Font menu doesn't tell you what font the text is. Indenting and "outdenting" does not reliably work (I've selected text, hit indent, and the whole visible document indents instead of the selection). The visual appearance of white space between paragraphs is off– putting — hit Return and you get a new paragraph, but the vertical separation is hardly any different from that between lines in a paragraph. Hit a second Return and now you have a great deal of vertical space...

I want to like this new site. I want to love it, but I don't. Not yet, anyway. I'm finding the new user guides to be... less than adequate for what I want to do. I need to use tables, but I think you know how well that feature is actually documented and supported.

Well, this is ranging kind of far afield of the original topic. I'll attach my video below, and hopefully this helps explain things better than my wall of text. Thank you!

Varuna

A-ha. Looking at the source a bit further, I believe I can see why this is happening. The HTML from OGMW has one font-size boundary around the Alternative Sciences and Crime and Law paragraphs. This confuses the Default font-size setter, which functions by clearing any set font size rather than setting a particular value--and finding none on the selected text, it does nothing, leaving the encasing font-size: 13.333px from the grouped paragraphs intact.

In the short term, there are a couple of ways to fix this.

1. Use the BBcode converter button image.png.9611395c4d2810555431893c1b9ec5ce.png. Copy and paste the actual BBcode from the old site and it will automatically handle the rest.
  2. Use Source mode; find all instances of 13.333px and remove them.
  3. Select the entire post; set and then default the font size; then use the Format dropdown to reset headers.

In the longer term, I've had some requests to see if we can rebuild the Size picker to use relative sizes instead of specific sizes, which would probably help to resolve this.