Haldeyr G'elde - Half-Drow Criminal Thief Rogue

Maester1216

Haldeyr G'elde - Half-Drow Criminal Thief Rogue

spacer.png

Name: Haldeyr G'elde

Character Concept: A child of Skullport and former member of Xanathar's Thieves' Guild, Haldeyr betrayed the Guild in protest of their slaving practices. Now a hunted man, he needs a big score and allies to take on his old masters... assuming his old crew doesn't get him first.

Race, Background, Subclass Class: Half-Drow Criminal Thief Rogue

Description: In body and mind Haldeyr tends towards the Drow side of his parentage. His build is wiry and athletic, his ghost white hair long and loose, and his features lithe and oh-so elfin. His half-elven nature rears itself in a few key ways however; his skin is a lighter ash grey in colouration, in contrast to the dark greys and jet blacks found amongst full Drow, but most notably are the laurel green eyes he inherited from his human mother.

Acutely aware of how attractive he is by the standards of most folk, Haldeyr has become practiced in making himself appealing to people. His looks and style, manners and demeanour give off the impression of casual sensuality, but of a quality uncommon in the City of Splendors.

Add in a sly smile and laissez-faire air and Haldeyr comes off as a roguish coxcomb, not unlike the hundreds of other swaggering bravos that make Waterdeep their home. Where Haldeyr differs however is the discerning cast to his gaze and focus in his poise. He's always observant, always sizing people and places up... and knows how to move when things go south.

Your Character’s Plothook: Meloon Wardragon has hired Haldeyr in the past for job's where Force Grey's direct involvement could be considered problematic. While the two rarely see eye-to-eye on a number of different matters, they have developed a grudging respect over the years and consider each other acquaintances.

Past is Prologue: Haldeyr was born on the 16th day of Highsun, 1465 DR in the Dredge, the lowest level of Skullport occupied by abandoned buildings, dank slums and garbage littered streets. He was raised by his father Micar Tanor'Thal, the younger brother of House Tanor'Thal's representative in Skullport. Micar had been forced out for leading a sect of Vhaeraunite worshippers within the House, fleeing to the lower levels of the Port of Shadows to avoid death and continue serving The Masked Lord. It was as tough an existence as one can imagine for a young boy; sifting through rubbish for something to eat or sell, scorned even by slaves and hunted by the soldiers of House Tanor'Thal, with indifference being the best he could expect from Skullport's inhabitants.

Amidst this hardship however Micar proved his worth as a teacher. He taught his son not only how to survive in a place like Skullport, but the importance of living life by your own rules; to restrain yourself with obedience of any sort is to allow your enemies free reign, for that is how Lolth ultimately maintains her control over the Drow. Haldeyr was rather inattentive with those particular lessons, but took Micar's survival skills to heart, and by 14 had started working as a petty thief in the mercantile and residential wards of Skullport.

Near the start of the 1480's the Xanathar Guild had grown more aggressive in its expansion into Skullport and, sensing an opportunity, Haldeyr began making preparations to join. Performing the necessary tasks and raising the requisite funds took a few years, but by 1484 he had become an initiated member of the Guild. The next half a decade was an active period in Haldeyr's life: fighting in a series of gang wars in Skullport and making some of his first forays outside his hometown for Guild business brought in coin and clout for the young Half-Drow, but increasingly Haldeyr chafed under Xanathar's rigid hierarchy. More privately however he had become disgusted with the callous cruelty and slaving that the Guild partook in. More and more he began to remember his father's philosophical musings, realizing that there was more truth than he had initially realized in Micar's words.

In 1490 Haldeyr had finally had enough. He was running with a small crew in Waterdeep's Dock Ward, charged with secure cargo from Helmstar Warehouse that was owed to the Guild. The job was going well - they even knocked over a few locked chests full of gold - but when the group of thieves came upon the cargo in question Haldeyr was appalled at what he found: slaves. The sight of them haunts Haldeyr to this day, but in that moment he knew what he had to do. Turning on his fellow thieves he was prepared to die to let the slaves escape into Waterdeep, but the fight alerted the Margoyle guards the Helmstar's maintained as a secret security apparatus. Much of what happened next is a haze even to Haldeyr, but by the end the slaves had all escaped and he had fled into Waterdeep proper, leaving his fellow Guildmembers to the Margoyles and City Watch.

Xanathar's does not forgive treachery, especially of Haldeyr's sort. The Guild placed a 160 gold bounty on Haldeyr that anyone - Guild members or otherwise - can collect on, putting all manner of bounty hunter's and thieftakers on his trail. G'elde has spent the last two years building some semblance of a network for himself in Waterdeep, seeking allies and taking what jobs come his way. But a bounty like that is can only make his life harder, especially with Xanathar's Guild making moves in Waterdeep the last few months. He'll have to stand and fight sooner or later, but to take on Xanathar's he'd a crew he can trust (more or less) and a little coin for a war chest. Neverember's fortune may just provide him both...

Truths, Rumors, and Lies:

1. Haldeyr is a former member of Xanathar's Thieves' Guild and is wanted by the Guild for some manner of treachery [True].
  2. Haldeyr is the bastard son of Kesra Tanor'Thal, the representative of the Drow House Tanor'Thal in Skullport [False].
  3. Haldeyr made his name fleecing a prominent Duergar crimelord in Skullport of a family heirloom [Half-True].

Include at least two of the following in your application:
Deity:
 Mask - despite being raised by his father on the precepts of Vhaeraun, the god of Drow males and thievery, Haldeyr saw no sense in putting his faith in a then dead god. The Master of All Thieves was the next best choice for G'elde, however Haldeyr considers himself only a nominal Maskarran; he picks and chooses the parts of Mask's doctrine he wishes to adhere to, and only involves himself with the Church of Mask where there is profit to be made for him.

Is Might Right? Haldeyr would say of course. The only reason people adhere to the laws set forth by the Lords of Waterdeep is because the Lords have an army and police force to enforce those rules. Waterdeep is no different than Skullport in that regard. The Watch and the Guard, Force Grey... they're no different from the gangs they try to police in Haldeyr's estimation, save only that those in power legitimize their actions. But that's just how things work; those with power dictate how those without live their lives, and only those who are strong themselves are free to defy those dictates.

It’s unfortunate then that the powerful serve only themselves, and that those without are little better than chattel living at their behest. That's why Haldeyr seeks to help those without power find it, so that they might finally begin charting their own course in life.

Connections: Micar Tanor'Thal - Haldeyr's father, Micar was formerly a Shadowdancer and Assassin in service of House Tanor'Thal. Now he serves his god Vhaeraun openly as a Darkmask, combining his faith in the Lord of Shadow with his prodigious stealth capabilities. He currently leads one of the largest Vhaeraunite cells in the Northdark and is conducting a number of operations above and below ground. Micar and Haldeyr haven't spoken in over half a decade, but the older Drow made it clear to his son that his door would always be open should Haldeyr need help.

Trask - A Changeling and spy employed by Xanathar's, Haldeyr and Trask had a... complicated relationship while working together in the Guild. By turns rivals and lovers, not even Haldeyr knew what to make of the relationship, but that didn't stop him from enjoying the ride. G'elde's betrayal of the Guild has made him squarely an enemy of Trask however, and now they seek to collect on Haldeyr's bounty and use his death to advance their standing in Xanathar's. Trask is one of the most dangerous of Haldeyr's pursuers, combining roguish skills on par with his with shapeshifting abilities that are not easily prepared for.

Music: Shawn James' music is probably what best encapsulates Haldeyr's style and tone. Here are a few selections that stand out in that regard.

- Through the Valley

- The Thief and the Moon

- I Want More

Lera Lynn's work on True Detective also strikes me as a good fit.

- The Angry River

- Lately

- My Least Favourite Life

- The Only Thing Worth Fighting For

- A Church In Ruins

And here are some stand alone songs I think also fit well.

- Living in the Shadows

- Lost Again

- You Know My Name

- Kamikaze (Stripped Version)

- Everybody Knows

- Sharks

- Fool's Gold

1st Level Feat: Skilled(Intimidation, Persuasion, History)

Edited by Maester1216 (see edit history)

Gold and Equipment Purchase Tracker...

Maximum Gold from Rogue: 4d4 x 10 = 16 x 10 = 160 GP

Gold from Criminal: 15 GP

Total Gold Available: 175 GP

Bought Equipment

-25 (Thieves Tools)
---------------------------
150 GP
-25 GP (Disguise Kit)
------------------------------------
125 GP
-15 GP (Forgery Kit)
------------------------------------------
110 GP
-1 GP (Three Dragon Ante Set)
----------------------------------------
109 GP
-16 GP (Burglar's Pack)
----------------------
93 GP
-2 GP (Traveler's Clothes)
---------------------------------
91 GP
-10 GP (Leather Armour)
81 GP
-20 GP (Shortsword x2)
61 GP
-25 GP (Shortbow)
36 GP
-5 GP (Arrows x100)
31 GP
-25 GP (Rapier)
6 GP
-6 GP (Dagger x3)

0 Gold

Trinket: An ornate brooch of Dwarven Design

spacer.png

Haldeyr G'elde

Half-Drow Criminal Thief Rogue

AC: 14 (Leather) | HP: 8/8 (1d8+0) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 13, Insight 13, Investigation 13
Str:Save: +0

Athletics: +2

Carrying Capacity: 150 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 300 lb.
10 (+0) | Dex:Initiative: +3

Save: +5

Acrobatics: +5
Sleight-of-Hand: +7 *
Stealth: +7 *

*Expertise
17 (+3) | Con:Save: +0 10 (+0) | Int:Save: +3

Arcana: +1
History: +1
Investigation: +3
Nature: +1
Religion: +1
12 (+1) | Wis:Save: +1

Animal Handling: +1
Insight: +3
Medicine: +1
Perception: +3
Survival: +1
12 (+1) | Cha:Save: +2

Deception: +4
Intimidation: +2
Performance: +2
Persuasion: +2
15 (+2)

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, Drow and Thieves' Cant

“My words,” Haldeyr says. | ‘My thoughts,’ Haldeyr thinks. | My actions . . .

“Theft is such an ugly word my lord. I prefer to think of it as... reallocating wealth to those most in need. Namely myself.” A sly smile plays across Haldeyr's face as he presses the point of his rapier against the lordling's throat.

OOC

Movement: —

Action: —

Bonus Action: —

Reaction: —

I don’t always have OOC content to post, but if I did, it would go here, below the Movement, Action, Bonus Action, and Reaction (which will always be there). Those need to contain the mechanical explanation of your otherwise natural language post.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 1:33 PM, Maester1216 said:

@Kamishiro_Rin,

Alrighty! I'd say Haldeyr's finally done. I might end up adding more to his soundtrack and definitely plan to flesh out some Connections/Impressions, but the essential stuff is taken care of.

Wow! This is one heck of an app! I especially like how well-versed you are in FR lore--though it's slightly intimidating! LOL

Anyway, everything looks good! Have at it in the IC thread!