Application questions

Sunless Echo

44 minutes ago, Sunless Echo said:

Depends on where the break is and if anything is salvageable. Its mainly damage based considering its a weapon priced at 50 gold. A broken longbow is basically junk. if you have one that has a clean snap with most of the body and string intact then you could probably sell it for 10 gold if your lucky and can haggle. Otherwise i’d say on the lower end of 4-7 gold.

repairs may go for 20-30 depending on the bow and the one doing repairs. These are just general prices.

Ok, so buying a broken bow would be 10gp, because I'm specifically looking for one, and that's how supply and demand works then?

Not the DM or anything, but it sounds like you aren't looking for a good bow that got broken, just a broken bow shaped bit of wood and string. Why not ask for the cast-off from an apprentice, with the understanding that it could never be 'fixed,' and see if there could be more of a discount?

I don't know, 10 gold just seems expensive for a prop.

46 minutes ago, Escheton said:

Ok, so buying a broken bow would be 10gp, because I'm specifically looking for one, and that's how supply and demand works then?

Similarly, economics are different in each place so prices vary. Im giving you the general price for Outer Emprin. A soon to be Booming economy.

@KingGoblin has a point though i thought you were talking about selling it if you want to buy a broken bow in the condition described then i suppose it would be around that price. (Understand that penalties apply for damaged weapons until fully repaired same goes for armor)

if your buying a realistic prop then it is likely half that price at 5 gold. It would be easier to break it yourself by then and make the damage seem real.

Thank you for the added details on warforged in Emprin! That makes sense...this is definitely a curious campaign!

Some races have been updated from the original source book and found themselves in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse, which is not on the approved sources list. Should we use the stats for the approved source or the most recent version?

16 minutes ago, Shadeus said:

Thank you for the added details on warforged in Emprin! That makes sense...this is definitely a curious campaign!

Some races have been updated from the original source book and found themselves in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse, which is not on the approved sources list. Should we use the stats for the approved source or the most recent version?

no problem at all. I have had this in the works for years but never had a chance to run it so off to the races.

The approved sources please. Im most likely not aware of anything recently published. I havent had the time to relax and read up on some of the cool new stuff they have added to dnd lately.

Edited by Sunless Echo (see edit history)

Not at all motivated by my highest rolled stat being 14 and finding myself neglecting feat choices that don't give stats to shore that up to what for a better roll would still be below baseline:

I've seen selection procedures with rolled stats collectively vote between all results and assign that choice to everyone. Can we do that?

The dice are not always kind. 27 point buy is an option and there is never a need for insane stats. This is not a conquest game unless you try to make it that (Good luck). Feats are your own choice and can revolve around stats or abilities. Remember racial bonus’ will make a serious dent along with stat feats.

the second thing i am unsure of what your trying to ask. You want me to roll and have everyone decide if they want the stats or not?

also @Escheton can we keep the convo in this tab under questions or recruit ooc please and thanks. You wanted to know what is in the party currently to help your build.

• We have a totem warrior Barbarian
  • An Oathbreaker paladin
  • And a shadow sorcerer/hexblade warlock (multiclass)

6 minutes ago, Sunless Echo said:

The dice are not always kind. 27 point buy is an option and there is never a need for insane stats. This is not a conquest game unless you try to make it that (Good luck). Feats are your own choice and can revolve around stats or abilities. Remember racial bonus’ will make a serious dent along with stat feats.

the second thing i am unsure of what your trying to ask. You want me to roll and have everyone decide if they want the stats or not?

also @Escheton can we keep the convo in this tab under questions or recruit ooc please and thanks. You wanted to know what is in the party currently to help your build.

• We have a totem warrior Barbarian
  • An Oathbreaker paladin
  • And a shadow sorcerer/hexblade warlock (multiclass)

Well, true, the dice aren't always kind. But stat rolls effect every other roll in the game. And while misfortune is a fun thing to improvise on, every time I miss a roll by one or two, I am reminded that I would have succeeded if I had just rolled good that one time before the game started. And my brain is too neurospicy to not be bothered by that. Especially in play by posts which lasts for years if done right.

and thanks for the party comp info here. Was afraid it would be posted there too and it was already too many posts where they don't belong.

4 hours ago, Escheton said:

Well, true, the dice aren't always kind. But stat rolls effect every other roll in the game. And while misfortune is a fun thing to improvise on, every time I miss a roll by one or two, I am reminded that I would have succeeded if I had just rolled good that one time before the game started. And my brain is too neurospicy to not be bothered by that. Especially in play by posts which lasts for years if done right.

Sounds like rolling for stats is not for you then.

Plenty of DMs don't let you take 27 after you roll, they make you commit to the risk and reward. I love that sort of thing, because it forces you to play around unique concepts and ideas. I can understand that not being fun, but the games where you have to roll and can't just take 27 are few and far between. I think I've found one on here, ever.

Of course, that's all easy for me to say here considering I rolled well, isn't it? Ha. Not exactly putting my money where my mouth is.

Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)

My original rolls were terrible, Jarren is built on a 27 point buy.

[QUOTE=Unkabear;16232650][roll=Attribute Rolls]6m4d6v1z[/roll] ouch, a 15 points...I think I will default to the 27 point buy. [/QUOTE]
Originally posted by Unkabear;16232650
[roll=Attribute Rolls]6m4d6v1z[/roll] ouch, a 15 points...I think I will default to the 27 point buy.

(10,13,14,6,8,9) for those that care

Edited by Unkabear (see edit history)

@Sunless Echo Ok, with a cost of 250GP, a pistol is out of my reach (unless perhaps with Smith's / Tinker's tools I made my own. :) then I'd only have to worry about the powder and bullets. Of if you would grant him a pistol for having the Gunner feat. :) )

So adapting my concept to a hand crossbow (Still expensive at 75 GP!). But, I'm only finding regular crossbow bolts/case costs. What would the cost for 20 hand crossbow bolts and a case be?

2 hours ago, TheRaconteur said:

Sounds like rolling for stats is not for you then.

Plenty of DMs don't let you take 27 after you roll, they make you commit to the risk and reward. I love that sort of thing, because it forces you to play around unique concepts and ideas. I can understand that not being fun, but the games where you have to roll and can't just take 27 are few and far between. I think I've found one on here, ever.

Of course, that's all easy for me to say here considering I rolled well, isn't it? Ha. Not exactly putting my money where my mouth is.

Well, no. That's the problem. It doesn't much allow for unique concepts. It forces you to conform to tired clichés. Because the way to still contribute is to build mono stat dependent, because you can only afford to max out one. Like, say you want to play Warlock, and not use Eldritch Blast or the Celestial Patron Firebolt for Cha to dmg for when your 2 spellslots run out.
Pact of the Blade with Improved Pact Weapon makes you proficient with whatever weapon you summon. So you don't need to be a Dwarf or Elf for proficiency, or even get into Paladin. You can just use a Rapier or Longbow.
If you have rolled well, you can just use your Dex for attacks, as it won't be too far behind your Cha. Opening up every Patron for whatever flavor, background or neat tricks you want. If you didn't, you need to grab Hexblade to use your Cha to attack or actively choose to just miss a bunch and contribute less to combat. While you where already forced to not make a stealthy or nimble fingered Pactbound character, because then you would needed to have made a Dex focused character like a Rogue.

34 minutes ago, Unkabear said:

I always wanted to make a Warlock or Sorcerer who was a gunslinger & just using Cantrips as my "Bullets" and other spells as grenades or whatnot.

Skip the pistol & gunpowder & just use magic.

Perhaps one day.

Artillerist Artificer let's you do that pretty easily.

Personally I hate the technomagic aesthetic, so when I make artificers I take them in other directions. My current artificer is a "necromancer" who summons bone constructs to do her bidding. Well, she will be. We're only level 2 and I haven't done any fighting yet.

4 hours ago, Laird_Thorne said:

@Sunless Echo Ok, with a cost of 250GP, a pistol is out of my reach (unless perhaps with Smith's / Tinker's tools I made my own. :) then I'd only have to worry about the powder and bullets. Of if you would grant him a pistol for having the Gunner feat. :) )

So adapting my concept to a hand crossbow (Still expensive at 75 GP!). But, I'm only finding regular crossbow bolts/case costs. What would the cost for 20 hand crossbow bolts and a case be?

Interesting proposition. I'll allow you to make your own like that if you pay 150 gold for expenses and find some way to make yourself proficient with smithing or tinkers tools. Taking the gold as a reward and trying to use a kit to craft one of your own is clever but you'll need proficiency to make one work properly.

You'll need to pay for any ammunition yourself on top of that. Powder is sold by the ounce for one Gold piece (one load and you can store that in whatever you want but be aware of weather conditions). Bullets are 3 gold pieces.

• Bolt case - 1 GP
  • 20 Bolts - 20 GP (1 GP per)
Edited by Sunless Echo (see edit history)