Falken Windriver, Variant Human Folk Hero Fighter (Samurai) / Ranger

BlackPhoenix

Falken Windriver
View Character Sheet

Concept

A regular, normal Human without extraordinary abilities, who has lost everything, but won't die because of his survival instinct, desire to help, and fear of becoming an undead.

Falken.jpg.41893d291b2d3bda8afdf515e5ac859e.jpg

Race: Variant Human | Sex: M
Alignment: NG | Background: Folk Hero
Class: Fighter | Subclass: ???
Personality

tbd

Ideals

I will fight for those who cannot to repent myself from not saving my wife and daughter.

Bonds

Those who fight beside me are worth dying for.

Flaws

The best defense is to stay out of range! I feel vulnerable going toe-to-toe with an enemy.

I have a habit of drinking to forget.

Description

Falken is a middle-aged human with dark skin and piercing eyes. His beard is roughly cut, and his hair, long and a bit neglected, remain tied behind him, out of the way.  A scar on his face betrays a recent violent encounter. His clothing and armor are functional, but are devoid of luxury or high quality material, much like a common peasant would wear. Two small flowers on his chest are the only decorative pieces he wears. Flanked by shortswords, his longbow remains his weapon of choice.

Most of the time, he appears either angry or sad, although he's been known to laugh once in a while. The death of his wife and daughter still weigh heavily on him, and he has a tendency to lapse into drinking when he feels safe. However, he's a genuinely good person and has a hard time letting anyone down, despite doubting his own abilities.

Proficency Bonus +2 | checked-shield.svg AC: 16 | health-normal.svg Max HP: 24 | walking-boot.svg Speed: 30ft | awareness.svg PP: 14 | sprint.svg Init: +4 |

strong.svg
STRENGTH
body-balance.svg
DEXTERITY
caduceus.svg
CONSTITUTION
read.svg
INTELLIGENCE
meditation.svg
WISDOM
aura.svg
CHARISMA
(+2)
(+4)
(+2)
(+2)
(+2)
(-)
+ 4 STR Save +4 DEX Save + 4 CON Save +2 INT Save +2 WIS Save +0 CHA Save
+4 Athletics

+6 Acrobatics
+2 Sleight
+6 Stealth

+2 Arcana
+2 History
+2 Investigation
+4 Nature
+2 Religion

+4 A. Handling
+2 Insight
+2 Medicine
+4 Perception
+4 Survival

+0 Deception
+0 Intimidation
+0 Performace
+0 Persuasion

Actions
--------------------

Abilities

Human

• Extra Language: Elvish
  • Skill: Stealth
  • Feat: Sharpshooter
    • You have mastered ranged weapons and can make shots that others find impossible. You gain the following benefits:

• Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged weapon attack rolls.

• Your ranged weapon attacks ignore half and three-quarters cover.

• Before you make an attack with a ranged weapon that you are proficient with, you can choose to take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If that attack hits, you add +10 to the attack's damage.

Background (Folk Hero)

• Skill Proficiencies: Animal Handling, Survival
  • Tool Proficiencies: Woodcarver, vehicles (land)
  • Rustic Hospitality: Since you come from the ranks of the common folk, you fit in among them with ease. You can find a place to hide, rest, or recuperate among other commoners, unless you have shown yourself to be a danger to them. They will shield you from the law or anyone else searching for you, though they will not risk their lives for you.

Fighter

• Skills: Acrobatics, Perception
  • Armor: All armor, shields
  • Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
  • Fighting Style: Archery
  • Second Wind

Level 2: Fighter 1 / Ranger 1

• Uneathed Arcana's Revised Ranger
  • Skill: Nature (for multiclassing into Ranger)
  • Favored Enemy: Undead
    • Language: Dwarvish

Weapons

Longbow, +8, 1d8+4 piercing, range 150/600 (Sharpshooter feat)

Shortsword, +6, 1d6+4 piercing

In all cases, +2 damage on undeads (favored enemy)

Equipment

• Leather armor
  • Longbow
  • 20 arrows
  • 2x shortsword
  • 2x handaxes
  • Explorer's Pack
    • Backpack
    • Bedroll
    • Mess kit
    • Tinderbox
    • 10 torches
    • 10 days of rations
    • Waterskin
    • Hempen rope, 50'
  • Woodcarver's Tools
  • Shovel
  • Iron pot
  • 10 gp

Background

To be expanded...

• Lived in peace in the Forgotten Realms as part of a small community;
  • Skilled hunter;
  • Married an Elven woman - Althaea;
  • Wife, being a High Elf, has basic knowledge of magic, which she showed here and there to Falken. Falken has a small book with notes, which he studies in his downtime, eventually leading to the Eldritch Knight subclass;
  • Had a daughter - Agatha; (7 years ago)
  • Mist came in, entire community got trapped in Falkovnia; (3 years ago)
  • Was instrumental in keeping the first undead wave at bay;
  • Willingly enrolled in the Falkovnian military;
  • Wife and daughter killed in undead attack; (2 years ago)
  • Started to drink excessively to "cope" with his family's death;
  • Discharged from the military for his drinking problem;

Fears & Failures

Fears:

• Claustrophobia: fear of enclosed spaces;
  • Fear of becoming an undead: he's afraid of dying and not being cremated, as he thinks he would become an undead.

Rumors:

• Rumor says that he has killed a Talon patrol as they were looking to apprehend a deserter. The source of the rumor is a man who has a vendetta against Falken and is very vocal about it. He claims to be a witness, but was drunk at the supposed time of the events. An investigation concluded that the patrol died fighting skeleton archers.
  • Having willingly joined the military, rumor says that Falken has actively participated in the execution of commoners (and agreed with this line of thought), was a Talon soldier, on the path of becoming a Talon officer himself.

Details

Loyalties:

Is Might Right?:

Deity:

Falken grew up in a family worshiping Torm. After meeting his wife, he included Corellon in his worshiping. But since the death of his family, he felt abandoned by both dieties, and will at most utter a small prayer from time to time.

Music:

It might be hard to understand, but I (the player) don't listen to music. That said, the first thing that comes to mind is Metallica's Fade to Black, given the loss of his wife and daughter.

Impressions:

Connections:

08684607aa5aa51c0219f7d44d9fbf78.jpg

Eremon Windriver is Falken's older brother and only remaining sibling. Eremon is a blacksmith, staying within Lekar, repairing damaged armors or crafting new ones.

Navarre Omarel was already in Falkovnia when Falken arrived. The Elf was part of the military, and fought to protect the newly arrived community in their first undead attack. Falken was impressed with the Elf's battle skills, and was part of the reason why he joined the military himself.

Soon after, Navarre started making advances to an Elven woman - Althaea. Upon learning that she was Falken's wife, he became hostile to the Human. While he has no problem with Humans by themselves, he disagrees with the idea of a mixed couple, and felt that such thing would tarnish the purity of the Elven heritage. He became jealous of Falken, and has ever since attempted to hinder Falken's life. He claims that Falken killed some Talon soldier, but no evidence was found, and his testimony was dismissed as he was drunk when the events supposedly took place.

image.jpeg.bb09d404f383bb4f03f2af89dca22e60.jpeg

FalkenPortrait.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I realize that I've painted myself in a corner. Since I (the player) have no experience with the setting, perhaps I should have made a character that just arrived. Now I find myself being the guide in our group! :)

That said, I'm unsure of how to look at the world. My understanding is that Lekar is the only remaining city, and since the waves of undead are enough to be a match for an entire city, it would make sense to seek refuge in Lekar. Yet, the Talons press everyone into service, so it seems advisable to avoid Lekar (and the Talons).

Is it even possible to survive a wave of zombies outside of Lekar? I'm re-reading the "Ravenloft Game Information" section and it's not clear. I see that people do survive in places such as Silvervas, but are there pockets of survivors spread across the land?

Speaking of zombie wave, how many days until the next new moon?

Finally, am I correct to assume that Falken knows the entirety of the "Ravenloft Game Information" section?

• 5 months later...

@Anthr4xus would you accept the Unearthed Arcana's Revised Ranger? I've had Falken take another level of fighter right now, but if you don't mind, I'd change that to a dip in Revised Ranger. I might eventually get a second level, but I don't think I'd take a third.

Edit: obviously, taking Undead as the favored enemy

Favored Enemy

Beginning at 1st level, you have significant experience studying, tracking, hunting, and even talking to a certain type of enemy commonly encountered in the wilds.

Choose a type of favored enemy: beasts, fey, humanoids, monstrosities, or undead. You gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with weapon attacks against creatures of the chosen type. Additionally, you have advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track your favored enemies, as well as on Intelligence checks to recall information about them.

When you gain this feature, you also learn one language of your choice, typically one spoken by your favored enemy or creatures associated with it. However, you are free to pick any language you wish to learn.

Natural Explorer

You are a master of navigating the natural world, and you react with swift and decisive action when attacked. This grants you the following benefits:

• You ignore difficult terrain.
  • You have advantage on initiative rolls.
  • On your first turn during combat, you have advantage on attack rolls against creatures that have not yet acted.

In addition, you are skilled at navigating the wilderness. You gain the following benefits when traveling for an hour or more:

• Difficult terrain doesn’t slow your group’s travel.
  • Your group can’t become lost except by magical means.
  • Even when you are engaged in another activity while traveling (such as foraging, navigating, or tracking), you remain alert to danger.
  • If you are traveling alone, you can move stealthily at a normal pace.
  • When you forage, you find twice as much food as you normally would.
  • While tracking other creatures, you also learn their exact number, their sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area.

I have also assumed that he has had enough time to craft arrows, filling up that second quiver.