The Hunt

Morph3us

Nasri, Goblin Wizard

spacer.png

Nasri has been very quiet so far and making himself as inconspicuous as possible. Elves might not look as growly as dwarves, but he knows they can be just as deadly, especially to a weak-looking goblin. At this point in the conversation, he pipes up,

"Oh, do you all know the wizard Machius? I know he doesn't get out much, but we did hear there was trouble from them at his doorstep. Which, granted, is far from here, but you know. Expatriates!" he says, attempting to include himself in this category in a friendly way that probably more comes across as manic and slightly desperate.

Edited by Stengleronymous (see edit history)

"That is troubling news." Ruven replies after being taken aback by the way the goblin seemed to interrupt himself with his energetic manner of speaking. "An attack there... it may be some days away but is in addition to other killings in the region."

"As you say, he is known for being reclusive. We were unlikely to see him here under the best of circumstances. We must still be prepared for there are other mages among us."

"Are you planning to confront them?" The harpist, who at some point introduces herself as Meridia, asks. Nasri's bags of scrolls and components make clear it might be in the party's self-interest not to have mage hunters running around unaccounted for.

Ynessa Nightswallow

oxana-reshetina-mask.jpg.c1e12c905ecf1f1f939ee71cec4b0046.jpgYnessa Nightswallow HP: 36/56 Saves: Fort 4, Ref 9, Will 5  AC: 21, 12(touch), 19(flat-footed)
Initiative: 2, Speed: 30, DD: 22, Search: +24, Spot: +17, Listen: +17, Hide: +20, MS: +20, OL: 20

Ynessa says, "There's still the issue with Hargreave." She kept her voice low as usual and did not say another word.

Again, another arch of the brow from Black as, once more, the elves refused to elaborate who among them was being targeted. If the Sidewinders were hunting Vestranna, it would make for an interesting complication. "Just how many killins been happenin' around here then?"

Of course, if they could put the mage-slayers on the trail of Hargreave as well...

"I know of at least three who were killed." Ruven answers after a pause for thought. "Those were in isolated places. One was a human mage traveling in the desert. Odaous, I believe, was the name."

"If they attempted to kill Machius near home then they are bold enough to attack in dense areas after all. We should not assume this city is safe merely because they have not struck here before."

OOC:

Abrecan recognizes the name Odaous but the rest of the party may not. He and Odaous encountered each other in a desert watchtower but soon parted ways. The timing unfortunately lines up. As RedRajah linked on the last page, the group spotted them in the area not long after.

Nasri, Goblin Wizard

Nasri.jpg.0f32bad7d47bd04198fad32aeb56a6d1.jpgAt Meridia’s question, Nasri shakes his head vigorously with eyes wide and frightened.

“Oh! Goodness, no. By which I mean, yes,” he comments, blinks twice, and then flicks himself in one batlike ear.

“OW! Uh. What I mean to say is, no, I don’t plan to confront them, but I do plan to be prepared for them confronting me. In, you know. A killy way,” he helpfully clarifies.

He scratches the back of his head. “I wonder if the churches of magic gods have any notion of something that might be done in cooperation against the Sidewinders. I mean, Corellon is a god of magic as well as, uh, crescent moons and music and goblin-killing, right?” he asks, demonstrating once again just how badly their party needs an actual diplomat.

But for all that the goblin is thoughtless, off-putting, and occasionally offensive, he also has an excellent memory. And he remembers what they heard of Vestrenna’s cover story…

“But if there are any among you who follow Boccob, or Wee Jas, or something, too, we should maybe put our heads together. Strategize. Assassins trained to kill arcane spellcasters might have a little more trouble if those arcanists have divine backup.”

In response to the comment about his proficiency, Varrik nods. "Yes my lady, I am talented with reeds of all sorts. I was a war trumpeter many years ago." He would have gone on, but the topic turns to the point of their visit, and he allows the others to steer the conversation towards more pertinent topics.

It may have been unwise for Nasri bring up Corellon's enmity with goblins and their deities. The much more clever move was dropping Wee Jas in to his explanation without any suspicious emphasis.

Black assesses the inquisitive looks the elves subsequently share with each other. There is someone (no prizes for guessing who) meeting Nasri's described interest in divine magical scholars. The trio don't have any specific reaction to Wee Jas though. This is also useful information: Vestrenna's cover story may be intact to them.

Ruven addresses his response to Ynessa even though Nasri is the one who spoke the most in recent moments.

"Your attendance at the Springrites would be a chance to mingle with them and compare notes."

Left unmentioned but obvious is that having adventurers around is a useful defense.

Varrik politely let the musical subject drop but Meridia ties it in to the main discussion before it fades too far.

"More music is always welcome. We have flutes and pipes and merry reeds to spare."

Ynessa Nightswallow

oxana-reshetina-mask.jpg.c1e12c905ecf1f1f939ee71cec4b0046.jpgYnessa Nightswallow HP: 36/56 Saves: Fort 4, Ref 9, Will 5  AC: 21, 12(touch), 19(flat-footed)
Initiative: 2, Speed: 30, DD: 22, Search: +24, Spot: +17, Listen: +17, Hide: +20, MS: +20, OL: 20

Ynessa gives a respectful curtsy to Ruven and the others, "Thank you, I believe it would benefit everyone."

She had appreciated the others speaking up and breaking the tension that there was between her group and the people here, so she took it as a small win.

• 2 weeks later...

"You should rejoin us here on the first morning." Meridia suggests. "We will have more suitable instruments and a chance to make introductions in between performance."

Did Varrik just get drafted into playing music for exposure?

In any case, it seems following up on this lead has turned out well. Ynessa and Varrik seem welcome. The others haven't been directly addressed very much. Their association with the former pair seems to be letting them slip in as well.

Varrik nods. "I'd be delighted to join. I do have obligations to my compatriots, so I cannot promise the whole day, but I would love to be a part of the ensemble. And a chance to make some more acquaintances is welcome."

Nasri, Goblin Wizard

Nasri.jpg.0f32bad7d47bd04198fad32aeb56a6d1.jpg“Lovely, lovely,” Nasri nods, happy for Ynessa and Varrik. "I'm sure you two will have an excellent time! I've been meaning to do some spellbook scribing anyway. Probably a better use of my time than crashing an elf party. Especially if they decide to play pin-the-tail-on-the-goblin," he says. He has no idea whether elves really play pin-the-tail-on-the-goblin, but it was a popular campfire story in the Tuktuk tribe, and one he didn't want to investigate the truth of firsthand.

He glances around. "Anybody else got elf business? Don't let me hurry you," he says, apparently honestly. However much he doesn't want to linger around all these elves, he's not going to shove the party out the door until they're good and ready.

Abrecan is a bit disappointed to learn there is no feast yet. He could easily dismiss the weak elven wine, but he has heard their food is tasty.
Having nothing to contribute to the conversation, he simply looks around to see if somethign interesting catches his eye.

Name
Spot
1d20+1 11