The Hunt

Morph3us

Ynessa Nightswallow

oxana-reshetina-mask.jpg.c1e12c905ecf1f1f939ee71cec4b0046.jpgYnessa Nightswallow HP: 36/56 Saves: Fort 4, Ref 9, Will 5  AC: 21, 12(touch), 19(flat-footed)
Initiative: 2, Speed: 30, DD: 22, Search: +24, Spot: +17, Listen: +17, Hide: +20, MS: +20, OL: 20

Ynessa says, "I can't say for certain the thieves guild has anything to do with Hargreave, and the gnome is probably an equal opportunity vendory."

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

Ynessa reconvenes with the party--maybe at their suite in the inn--and gives her report.

Black speculates on the possibility of a coded message.

Nasri recognizes gum arabic as a component of invisibility. It makes sense why a thieves' guild would be interested to hear of its availability. That could be a "legitimate" business outreach. Or it could be intended to attract attention so someone from the guild comes to visit.

OOC: Nasri's Spellcraft seems high enough to automatically identify this.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a busy day with the party traversing several areas of Grand Bank. Now late afternoon winds down to evening. Gloomy clouds gather and dim the remaining sunlight. At least the rain that sogged their journey to the city does not return.

The party makes their way to the temple of Corellon Larethian. Its soaring spire and prominent location on a small hill makes its top one of the highest points in the city. Only the penninsula lighthouse would truly tower over it, were it even nearby.

The spire draws the eye from far away but it's the grounds that hold attention upon approach. Even in early spring the surrounding gardens are vibrant green with abundant, sky-blue and silver flowers. Forks off the main path meander around the building. The entrance down the center is marked with a beautiful mithral crescent moon. The temple itself is quiet at the moment, although not yet cloistered for the night. The doors are not swung wide open but are cracked enough for a person to enter without shuffling sideways.

Ynessa remained hidden during the party's previous outing. Now, they might do better with her front and center. On the other hand, Nasri's kind have a long history with elves.

Faelwen Galadhrineth

oxana-reshetina-mask.jpg.c1e12c905ecf1f1f939ee71cec4b0046.jpgYnessa Nightswallow HP: 36/56 Saves: Fort 4, Ref 9, Will 5  AC: 21, 12(touch), 19(flat-footed)
Initiative: 2, Speed: 30, DD: 22, Search: +24, Spot: +17, Listen: +17, Hide: +20, MS: +20, OL: 20

It seem that being in front is probably the best choice, she walks confidently and without using any subterfuge. She makes sure to position herself next to Nasri as she enters through the opening of doors and has does nothing to show any sign of hostility towards her companion or anyone within the temple. As the rest of the party enters along with her, she simply waits until someone at the temple approaches them to speak.

Varrik also takes no issue with a direct approach. He saunters in alongside the goblin, commenting pleasantly about the quality of the architecture and the colorization. Making friendly and endearing small talk with a purpose of being overheard and hopefully being seen in a positive light. As he enters, he monitors for the response of the clergy and patrons.

Black, for his own (paranoid) part, keeps a casual eye out around any patrons who might be too interested in their band. Not necessarily that said patrons could be spies or lackeys working for their quarry, after all. In a city like this, anyone could have their own agenda -- and might be thinking about how to exploit the group for their own use...

OOCTakin' 20 on Sense Motive

Abrecan is not too thrilled about going to the pointy-ears' nest, but accepts this is the best lead they have to locate the disguised necromancer.
He stays in the back, not remotely ready for talking to these elves.

The interior of the temple matches its grounds. Sky blue banners hang with silver trim. Alabaster fountains gurgle in the alcoves. There are few pews--the elven enclave in this city, while influential, is not numerous. A high elf woman in a dress matching the banners practices gentle music on a harp. Two male elves in simple blue tunics attend to silver flowers that are arranged for the appearance of cascading from the bottom of the banners. There is no family resemblance but all three have dark hair and deep green eyes.

The group proceeds inside with Ynessa taking unusual prominence. She may be unaccustomed to moving so openly but, as an elf, is best seen up front.

Others make themselves a bit more scarce. The the goblin mage, dwarven barbarian, and human mercenary are out of place in this serene setting.

At least Varrik, though also human, is a bard. His masterwork horn and overt appreciation of the graceful elven architecture draws the attention of the harpist. She regards him with curious interest. This distraction doesn't stop her from replaying a few measures in search of perfection.

Meanwhile, one of the two acolytes notices Ynessa and stops his work to approach her. He does his best to avoid directly acknowledging the others' existence, especially Nasri and Abrecan. He addresses her in Elven:

"Greetings, sister. We stand together on the cusp of a bountiful spring. Have your travels been well? I can see your journey has taken you far from home."

So far, Black detects nothing unexpected. An insular community of elves is skeptical of humans, dwarves, and especially goblins. The question for Ynessa seems to hold subtle disdain for the entourage the acolyte seems to think she's collected in her adventures.

He keeps wary eyes and ears out for when the conversation really starts flowing...

OOCSense motive is "Try Again: No." I feel like take 20 isn't usually an option with it. Black could take 10 = 20 for an automatic "Hunch" and a decent counter-bluff result.

• 4 weeks later...
Faelwen Galadhrineth

Ynessa politely pays her respects to the acolytes, and in her usual quiet voice, "Thank you and well met."
"Indeed, I am far from home, and sadly it is no more.. a wicked necromancer and his undead destroyed my village, had I been here when it happened, I may have perished as well.."

As she pauses, thinking back on the incident, "Forgive me, I should not bring up such issues, especially now, when spring is nearing upon us." she responded. "I would like to note that there has been activity from a group of mage hunters identified with their tattoo of an eye." she says, "Have you yourself heard or know anything of them?"

The one who spoke seems taken aback by Ynessa's words. First she relays a devastating past and then inquires after dangerous hunters.

"Condolences pale before such tragedy but you have mine nonetheless." He replies after regaining composure. After Ynessa immediately changes the subject, he doesn't press for further details.

"Sidewinders." He confirms. "I have never seen them myself. Have you? We are to be watchful for a pair matching your description: a man and a woman. There are some mages among us for the Springrites who could be in danger if someone came hunting for them."

Black notes a lack of elaboration on who exactly suggested this and provided the information. The acolyte (who introduces himself as Ruven) doesn't seem like the adventuring sort.

Faelwen Galadhrineth

"Yes, the Sidewinders, I have seen them personally, often moving through the crowds." speaks Ynessa in her usual low voice. "Not in this town, but the one we left previously."

"Would you extend your hospitality to my companions, they are strong and quite capable.. There may be some questions they have which they can speak more eloquently." she asks, especially giving attention to her goblin companion.

Abrecan, regrettably, does not see any sign of food or drink besides water and wine for the thirst of the three working here. Of course the festivities proper aren't starting today. Still, this place looks ill-prepared for a feast. Are they even having a feast? Elves...

Ruven glances at the rest of the group again. Ynessa has directed the conversation to them and it would be rude to reject that.

"Of course." He answers, unavoidably. Then he switches to Common:

"Greetings and a fair spring to you. I am told you have knowledge of and questions about the Sidewinders. We are to be watchful for them. What have you learned?"

We are to be watchful for...

That's the second time in a row he has used the awkward phrasing that avoids mentioning who suggested that and why, and in two different languages to boot.

The harpist speaks up now that the ice has broken.

"Do you play other wind instruments?" She asks Varrik when she's done studying his masterwork horn.

"Saw a gilly-girl one o' them back in Bekkenstad..." Began Black idly in common. No sense in letting the elves know he knew their poncy language. That almost felt like a lifetime ago, when the mercenary had joined up with this particular band. "Heard they're mage slayers. Haven't clashed with them yet, but--" And the Bastard's brows arched thoughtfully as he confirmed the word choice in both languages. "--they been huntin' one o' yer lot then maybe? That why yer watchin'?"