Night time chats (IC)

Shocker

On 9/11/2023 at 6:53 AM, JubalBreakbottle said:

spacer.pngGilavar Oakhallow | High Elven Rogue | HP 10/10

Saves & Abilities

AC (Leather) 14 | Initiative +3 | Darkvision 60 ft | Perception +5 | Investigation +4 | Insight +1

Speed: 30 ft | Saves: Str +0 | Dex +5 | Con +2 | Int +4 | Wis +1 | Cha +0

Attacks: Shortsword +5, Piercing 1d6+3 | Shortbow +5, (80/320) Piercing 1d6+3 | Sneak Attack +1d6

Stealth +7 | Acrobatics +5 | Sleight of Hand +5 | Survival +3 | Athletics +2

It was the first conversation that he had had with the red-haired woman. Her question puzzles him. "um. They are more or less the same. The constellations move throughout the year. We could see them when we camped near a clearing of the woods."

"They really only change near bigger settlements that maintain a lot of light during the night."

After a comfortable pause, he continues, "I take it this is your first time away from home, too?"

token_1(5).png.2b95751388080bca58e2ac5ed304bf2d.pngKatya Evermoon | Circle of the Moon Druid | Human

AC: 12  | HP: 11/11 | Speed: 30 ft | Spell-casting: +5 / DC 13
Senses: Passive Perception 20, Insight 15, Investigation 19
STR: Score: -1
Athletics: -1
| DEXScore: +2
Acrobatics: +2
Stealth: +2
Sleight of Hand: +2
:
 14 | CONScore: -19 | INTScore: +2
Arcana: +2
History: +4
Investigation: +2
Nature: +4
Religion: +2
:
 14 | WISScore: +3

Animal Handling: +3
Insight: +3
Medicine: +5
Perception: +5
Survival: +3
:
 16 | CHAScore: +2

Deception: +2
Intimidation: +2
Performance: +2
Persuasion: +4
:

Languages: Common, Elvish, Draconic, Druidic

FeatsObservantQuick to notice details of your environment, you gain the following benefits:

Increase your Intelligence or Wisdom score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
If you can see a creature's mouth while it is speaking a language you understand, you can interpret what it's saying by reading its lips.
You have a +5 bonus to your passive Wisdom (Perception) and passive Intelligence (Investigation) scores.

| FeaturesRitual CastingYou can cast a Druid spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell prepared
Wild ShapeStarting at 2nd level, you can use your action to magically assume the shape of a beast that you have seen before. You can use this feature twice. You regain expended uses when you finish a short or long rest.

Your druid level determines the beasts you can transform into, as shown in the Beast Shapes table. At 2nd level, for example, you can transform into any beast that has a challenge rating of 1/4 or lower that doesn't have a flying or swimming speed.
You can stay in a beast shape for a number of hours equal to half your druid level (rounded down). You then revert to your normal form unless you expend another use of this feature. You can revert to your normal form earlier by using a bonus action on your turn. You automatically revert if you fall unconscious, drop to 0 hit points, or die.

While you are transformed, the following rules apply:

Your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast, but you retain your alignment, personality, and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the creature. If the creature has the same proficiency as you and the bonus in its stat block is higher than yours, use the creature's bonus instead of yours. If the creature has any legendary or lair actions, you can't use them.
When you transform, you assume the beast's hit points and Hit Dice. When you revert to your normal form, you return to the number of hit points you had before you transformed. However, if you revert as a result of dropping to 0 hit points, any excess damage carries over to your normal form, For example, if you take 10 damage in animal form and have only 1 hit point left, you revert and take 9 damage. As long as the excess damage doesn't reduce your normal form to 0 hit points, you aren't knocked unconscious.
You can't cast spells, and your ability to speak or take any action that requires hands is limited to the capabilities of your beast form. Transforming doesn't break your concentration on a spell you've already cast, however, or prevent you from taking actions that are part of a spell, such as Call Lightning, that you've already cast.
You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so. However, you can't use any of your special senses, such as darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense.
You choose whether your equipment falls to the ground in your space, merges into your new form, or is worn by it. Worn equipment functions as normal, but the DM decides whether it is practical for the new form to wear a piece of equipment, based on the creature's shape and size. Your equipment doesn't change size or shape to match the new form, and any equipment that the new form can't wear must either fall to the ground or merge with it. Equipment that merges with the form has no effect until you leave the form.

Circle Form: MoonThe rites of your circle grant you the ability to transform into more dangerous animal forms. Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Wild Shape to transform into a beast with a challenge rating as high as 1. You ignore the Max. CR column of the Beast Shapes table, but must abide by the other limitations there.

Starting at 6th level, you can transform into a beast with a challenge rating as high as your druid level divided by 3, rounded down.

Combat Wild ShapeCombat Wild Shape
Wild CompanionAt 2nd level, you gain the ability to summon a spirit that assumes an animal form: as an action, you can expend a use of your Wild Shape feature to cast the Find Familiar spell, without material components.

When you cast the spell in this way, the familiar is a fey instead of a beast, and the familiar disappears after a number of hours equal to half your druid level.

| ActionsWeaponATTACK: -
RANGE: -
MAGIC BONUS: -
CRIT RANGE: -
DAMAGE: -
TYPE: -
DESCRIPTION: -

| SpellsCantrips
GuidanceGuidance
Divination Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Target: One willing creature
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
Description:You touch one willing creature. Once before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to one ability check of its choice. It can roll the die before or after making the ability check. The spell then ends.

DruidcraftDruidcraft
Transmutation Cantrip
Range: 30 feet
Target: See text
Components: V,S
Duration: Instantaneous
Description: Whispering to the spirits of nature, you create one of the following effects within range: You create a tiny, harmless sensory effect that predicts what the weather will be at your location for the next 24 hours. The effect might manifest as a golden orb for clear skies, a cloud for rain, falling snowflakes for snow, and so on. This effect persists for 1 round. You instantly make a flower blossom, a seed pod open, or a leaf bud bloom. You create an instantaneous, harmless sensory effect, such as falling leaves, a puff of wind, the sound of a small animal, or the faint odor of skunk. The effect must fit in a 5-foot cube. You instantly light or snuff out a candle, a torch, or a small campfire.

Level 1 <3/3>
Speak with Animals
Cure Wounds
Entangle
Detect Magic

The Druids had taught her how to read the constellations, and she had done much reading of the stars when she was a child, and had even spent time in the Druid Grove in complete darkness, away from it all looking at the endless sky. But all of that had been done in the safety of her home, or surrounded by powerful Druids. Out here; the stars were the only thing familiar in an otherwise hostile darkness, and even now, they looked unfamiliar to her this far north. It was all quite overwhelming.

"I've done some travelling, but always had a home to return to... This is my first time on my own"

Her eyes slowly wander down from the night sky to the face of her companion, slowly taking in his features. She considers that Elves can remain young for a longer time than her own people, maybe his features belie his age.

"You said it's your first time from home? Where are you from?"

spacer.png

Sviga lævi - Vala Hel | ᚢᚨᛚᚨ∶ᚺᛖᛚ spacer.png

token_3.png.a3b4688ee43b9513cceed293a1cbaf39.png
ᚺᛖᛚ - Paladin I (Vengeance)
"The starving raven tells of Hel"
checked-shield.svg AC (18) sprint.svg Initiative (+2) Speed (30 ft.)
health-normal.svg HP (12/12) awareness.svg PP (12) dodging.svg LH (5/5)

invisible.svg Status: Normal
Saves & Abilities
Saving throws: Str (3) Dex (-1) Con (2) Int (-1) Wis (1) Cha (5).
Unarmed attack: 1d20+5, (4).
Abilities: Divine sense, lay on hands.

22 hours ago, Dorik said:
(...) You must be a great paladin and as such has taken an oath; not something to be taken lightly I presume,"?
Vala appreciated Makaria’s earnestness; when the Tiefling asked about the oath, she replied: Ah yes! I will stand in front of the creator and will be asked a riddle in order to gain entrance to Valhalla; if I don’t the answer, he will cast me out and laugh at me! The paladin noticed it was about time to end the watch; she gestured to Makaria and headed to her “room”. She greeted the others as they approached.

Saves & Abilities

AC (Leather) 14 | Initiative +3 | Darkvision 60 ft | Perception +5 | Investigation +4 | Insight +1

Attacks: Shortsword +5, Piercing 1d6+3 | Shortbow +5, (80/320) Piercing 1d6+3 | Sneak Attack +1d6

Gilavar nods at the comments and question. "Where's home for me? It's not a place. My clan is nomadic and follows the seasons. We would usually summer near Silverymoon and winter in the south."

After a comfortable pause, "Home for me is traveling with my clan. Only individuals or small groups went into town or a city, so settlements like Phandalin are new to me."

"It was time for me to travel on my own for awhile and experience this civilization, like that stagecoach."

After another comfortable pause, he returns the question to her, "tell me about your home."

@tyrtaeus

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

On 9/14/2023 at 6:39 AM, JubalBreakbottle said:

Saves & Abilities

Gilavar nods at the comments and question. "Where's home for me? It's not a place. My clan is nomadic and follows the seasons. We would usually summer near Silverymoon and winter in the south."

After a comfortable pause, "Home for me is traveling with my clan. Only individuals or small groups went into town or a city, so settlements like Phandalin are new to me."

"It was time for me to travel on my own for awhile and experience this civilization, like that stagecoach."

After another comfortable pause, he returns the question to her, "tell me about your home."

@tyrtaeus

token_1(5).png.2b95751388080bca58e2ac5ed304bf2d.pngKatya Evermoon | Circle of the Moon Druid | Human

:
:

:

:

FeatsObservantQuick to notice details of your environment, you gain the following benefits:

If you can see a creature's mouth while it is speaking a language you understand, you can interpret what it's saying by reading its lips.
You have a +5 bonus to your passive Wisdom (Perception) and passive Intelligence (Investigation) scores.

| FeaturesRitual CastingYou can cast a Druid spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell prepared
Wild ShapeStarting at 2nd level, you can use your action to magically assume the shape of a beast that you have seen before. You can use this feature twice. You regain expended uses when you finish a short or long rest.

Your druid level determines the beasts you can transform into, as shown in the Beast Shapes table. At 2nd level, for example, you can transform into any beast that has a challenge rating of 1/4 or lower that doesn't have a flying or swimming speed.
You can stay in a beast shape for a number of hours equal to half your druid level (rounded down). You then revert to your normal form unless you expend another use of this feature. You can revert to your normal form earlier by using a bonus action on your turn. You automatically revert if you fall unconscious, drop to 0 hit points, or die.

Your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast, but you retain your alignment, personality, and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the creature. If the creature has the same proficiency as you and the bonus in its stat block is higher than yours, use the creature's bonus instead of yours. If the creature has any legendary or lair actions, you can't use them.
When you transform, you assume the beast's hit points and Hit Dice. When you revert to your normal form, you return to the number of hit points you had before you transformed. However, if you revert as a result of dropping to 0 hit points, any excess damage carries over to your normal form, For example, if you take 10 damage in animal form and have only 1 hit point left, you revert and take 9 damage. As long as the excess damage doesn't reduce your normal form to 0 hit points, you aren't knocked unconscious.
You can't cast spells, and your ability to speak or take any action that requires hands is limited to the capabilities of your beast form. Transforming doesn't break your concentration on a spell you've already cast, however, or prevent you from taking actions that are part of a spell, such as Call Lightning, that you've already cast.
You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so. However, you can't use any of your special senses, such as darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense.
You choose whether your equipment falls to the ground in your space, merges into your new form, or is worn by it. Worn equipment functions as normal, but the DM decides whether it is practical for the new form to wear a piece of equipment, based on the creature's shape and size. Your equipment doesn't change size or shape to match the new form, and any equipment that the new form can't wear must either fall to the ground or merge with it. Equipment that merges with the form has no effect until you leave the form.

Circle Form: MoonThe rites of your circle grant you the ability to transform into more dangerous animal forms. Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Wild Shape to transform into a beast with a challenge rating as high as 1. You ignore the Max. CR column of the Beast Shapes table, but must abide by the other limitations there.

Starting at 6th level, you can transform into a beast with a challenge rating as high as your druid level divided by 3, rounded down.

Combat Wild ShapeWhen you choose this circle at 2nd level, you gain the ability to use Wild Shape on your turn as a bonus action, rather than as an action.

Additionally, while you are transformed by Wild Shape, you can use a bonus action to expend one spell slot to regain 1d8 hit points per level of the spell slot expended.
<1/2>
Wild CompanionAt 2nd level, you gain the ability to summon a spirit that assumes an animal form: as an action, you can expend a use of your Wild Shape feature to cast the Find Familiar spell, without material components.

When you cast the spell in this way, the familiar is a fey instead of a beast, and the familiar disappears after a number of hours equal to half your druid level.

| SpellsCantrips
GuidanceGuidance
Divination Cantrip
Description:You touch one willing creature. Once before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to one ability check of its choice. It can roll the die before or after making the ability check. The spell then ends.

DruidcraftDruidcraft
Transmutation Cantrip
Description: Whispering to the spirits of nature, you create one of the following effects within range: You create a tiny, harmless sensory effect that predicts what the weather will be at your location for the next 24 hours. The effect might manifest as a golden orb for clear skies, a cloud for rain, falling snowflakes for snow, and so on. This effect persists for 1 round. You instantly make a flower blossom, a seed pod open, or a leaf bud bloom. You create an instantaneous, harmless sensory effect, such as falling leaves, a puff of wind, the sound of a small animal, or the faint odor of skunk. The effect must fit in a 5-foot cube. You instantly light or snuff out a candle, a torch, or a small campfire.

Level 1 <3/3>
Speak with Animals
Cure Wounds
Entangle
Detect Magic

Katya smiles warmly at the idea of a nomadic clan lifestyle, travelling near and far with the seasons, learning everything beautiful about the world around them as they went. In comparison, her own travels had been terribly limiting. Her travels had been spent separated from the outside world within the safe, cushioned walls of carriages, the sounds and smells of nature smothered by royal decree. It was comforting to know that at least she was not alone in her cardinal journey.

"Phandalin is a good start if this is your first time around the common folk, much more manageable than Baldur's Gate, a place so magnificent and overwhelming"

She had visited once or twice in her youth, and though she was familiar with the hustle and bustle of the city around her home, it was a mere candle in comparison to the bonfire of 'The Gate'. The city swept all expectations away, no matter how much you knew about it, you could never fathom the grandiosity of it. Gilavar would likely be out of his element in such a place. When he asks about her home, she falters momentarily, the smile slipping from her features, which she attempts to hide by bringing the hot tea to her lips for a small sip as she contemplates her home. Or what remained.

"My home was slightly larger than Phandalin, and only a little bit warmer, I've always been a bit sensitive to the cold"

She chuckles at her small joke.

"The people were industrious, we were right on the western edge of the Sword Mountains, not too far from Thornhold. There was a market right in the center of town that attracted a lot of travelers thanks to the robust hunting grounds and well-funded artisans. I remember the art was always so fun to look at, and sometimes there would even be travelling performers, my favorite's were the thespians and their terrible plays"

The smile hiding behind the tea cup is a genuine one at the memory of the terrible actors that would call everyone to the center of the market to put on plays that must have been purposefully bad.

"My father was a shrewd man, he wanted to make sure the people were safe and that our city would keep growing, but who can plan for a force of nature? Whatever my city was, it is no longer. Perhaps when Cryovain is defeated, you can experience the hospitality of my home once I have reestablished my Kingdom"

She exhales, blowing the steam from the tea away from her face into the darkness. Her eyes were beginning to tear up, signifying time to change the subject.

"What are you hoping to get out of your travels?"

spacer.png

Saves & Abilities

Gilavar listens intently to the red-haired lady. He had never traveled on the western side of the Swords, because it mostly only had the coastal road and Mere of Dead Men.

Then, she asks him a question about his walkabout, but he stalls wondering what she said, it is no longer. It must be horrible and tragic for her not offer the news. Seems important to her story. Why conceal it? Thoughts run through his mind.

After a comfortable pause for Gil to recover his bearings, he replies, "uh? New experiences that one of my clan has not done, like that Stagecoach. Visit settlements of humans, dwarves, and gnomes to better understand why they live the way they do. Discover if there is somewhere more important for me to be than with my clan."

He lets that dangle for a bit before continuing, "if I may ask, what did you mean by your city is no longer?"

@tyrtaeus

On 9/19/2023 at 6:41 AM, JubalBreakbottle said:

Saves & Abilities

Gilavar listens intently to the red-haired lady. He had never traveled on the western side of the Swords, because it mostly only had the coastal road and Mere of Dead Men.

Then, she asks him a question about his walkabout, but he stalls wondering what she said, it is no longer. It must be horrible and tragic for her not offer the news. Seems important to her story. Why conceal it? Thoughts run through his mind.

After a comfortable pause for Gil to recover his bearings, he replies, "uh? New experiences that one of my clan has not done, like that Stagecoach. Visit settlements of humans, dwarves, and gnomes to better understand why they live the way they do. Discover if there is somewhere more important for me to be than with my clan."

He lets that dangle for a bit before continuing, "if I may ask, what did you mean by your city is no longer?"

@tyrtaeus

:
:

:

:

Combat Wild ShapeWhen you choose this circle at 2nd level, you gain the ability to use Wild Shape on your turn as a bonus action, rather than as an action.

Additionally, while you are transformed by Wild Shape, you can use a bonus action to expend one spell slot to regain 1d8 hit points per level of the spell slot expended.
<1/2>

| SpellsCantrips
GuidanceGuidance
Divination Cantrip

DruidcraftDruidcraft
Transmutation Cantrip

Level 1 <3/3>
Speak with Animals
Cure Wounds
Entangle
Detect Magic

Katya places the small cup on one of the fragments of stone in the wall that looks stable enough to hold the cup, and withdraws a handkerchief from her robe, unfolding it neatly and spreads it atop a large flat stone in the ground and takes a seat in a proper manner before drawing a knee to her chest and looking back up at the stars, the orange tresses of hair falling loosely down her back. She can understand his excitement around the call to adventure and discovering the world outside of his clan, but it makes her heart ache.

"I don't think anywhere is more important than with family, but I guess my family life was never quite so fulfilling. Duty before all..."

She takes another sip of the aromatic tea, which had become tepid thanks to the exposure, but the taste was still pleasurable.

"Cryovain destroyed my home and my family, I wish I could have done something, but I barely even know enough magic to heal people, never mind stop a dragon. After the attack was over, there were not that many of us left, and I set out to find anyone who could help us while the rest try to rebuild, but I fear if we meet more people like Harbin Wester, than my search will be in vain"

The Princess does not bring her eyes from the stars, not wanting her companion to see the obvious tears welling in her eyes, feeling embarrassed.

spacer.png

Saves & Abilities

Gilavar listens intently to Katya with inhuman eyes flickering on and off her to avoid boring a proverbial hole through her.

After a lingering pause, he asks, "so, the dragon just showed up one day and destroyed your family and town? What time of day did it attack? Did it appear to have any purpose?"

"The more we understand a creature, the better that we can kill it." He unconsciously fingers the wolf fur of his cloak.

@tyrtaeus

19 hours ago, JubalBreakbottle said:

Saves & Abilities

Gilavar listens intently to Katya with inhuman eyes flickering on and off her to avoid boring a proverbial hole through her.

After a lingering pause, he asks, "so, the dragon just showed up one day and destroyed your family and town? What time of day did it attack? Did it appear to have any purpose?"

"The more we understand a creature, the better that we can kill it." He unconsciously fingers the wolf fur of his cloak.

@tyrtaeus

:
:

:

:

<1/2>

| SpellsCantrips
GuidanceGuidance
Divination Cantrip

DruidcraftDruidcraft
Transmutation Cantrip

Level 1 <3/3>
Speak with Animals
Cure Wounds
Entangle
Detect Magic

Katya finds is difficult to hide her discomfort under his questions, not wanting to dredge up the memories, but she had come this far already, stopping here would only serve to leave her with her feelings and Gilavar with nothing but empty questions. When she closes her eyes, the darkness remains, but the comforting twinkle of the stars is lost. She drifts into her memories, the cacophonous sound of Dragonfire tearing through the battlements, the brief and fearful cries of the soldiers and servants lost as the stone castle crumbled around them. The sounds of stones collapsing all around her. Screaming while trapped under masoned brickwork for hours until she coughed up blood and dust, desperately clawing at whatever budged in order to drag herself out of the rubble.

"It attacked at night, I don't know what caused it. If Dragons are as greedy as they say, it was likely he knew of our mines that he may have believed to be filled with gold or other valuable minerals or gems"

She understood what he was interested in, but she did not care to understand the Dragon, she just wanted it gone.

"Do you really believe we could handle a Dragon? A Manticore is one thing, but a Dragon... They aren't even creatures, they're forces of nature"

spacer.png

Saves & Abilities

Gilavar sees how uncomfortable she is with the memories and listens intently. While sorry for causing her discomfort, he needed to know about the dragon if this group kept pursuing it. Eventually, they would find it.

After a pause, the elf replies, "I frankly did not think we could kill that manticore without a casualty. I think there is something special about this group, but it is unclear to me. Perhaps, we are forces of nature, too." He stops probing her memories about the dragon or destroyed home.

He thinks about talking about the weather but just lets the silence continue.

@tyrtaeus

On 9/22/2023 at 6:53 AM, JubalBreakbottle said:

Saves & Abilities

Gilavar sees how uncomfortable she is with the memories and listens intently. While sorry for causing her discomfort, he needed to know about the dragon if this group kept pursuing it. Eventually, they would find it.

After a pause, the elf replies, "I frankly did not think we could kill that manticore without a casualty. I think there is something special about this group, but it is unclear to me. Perhaps, we are forces of nature, too." He stops probing her memories about the dragon or destroyed home.

He thinks about talking about the weather but just lets the silence continue.

@tyrtaeus

:
:

:

:

<1/2>

| SpellsCantrips
GuidanceGuidance
Divination Cantrip

DruidcraftDruidcraft
Transmutation Cantrip

Level 1 <3/3>
Speak with Animals
Cure Wounds
Entangle
Detect Magic

Katya thinks back to their actions earlier in the day, silently agreeing with his surprise that they had come out of that combat unscathed. At the time, she had been seized with fear and adrenaline, and had not even thought through her actions before acting and casting the spell as she had done. Had Vadania and Vala not charged in as they had done, and the Princess had been allowed a moment of thought to rationalize what they were about to do, she was not sure she would have been able to act the way she had done. As Gilavar compares their own performance to something akin to Cryovain, she smiles, wishing it were true.

"I don't know about a force of nature, but we were certainly a force to be reckoned with! I've never been in a real fight before, it was quite scary, I'm not sure what was louder, my heart or the manticore"

She sips the tea one more time, as she gazes at her companion thoughtfully, sad to be nearing the end of the cup.

"You talk about defeating Cryovain as though it is your mission. I must admit, even the thought of facing him makes me want to hide, how do you say such things with such conviction?"

spacer.png

Edited by tyrtaeus (see edit history)

Saves & Abilities

Gilavar listens and looks surprised when Katya uses the words mission and conviction. After a comfortable pause, the elf replies, "Umm. I'd never heard the name of Cryovain until it was spoken in the Stagecoach where it was spoken in the context of potential vengeance."

"As I've said, my mission, such as it is, is to wander civilization and experience the world beyond my clan, so I can better appreciate my clan and bring back new stories, like the Stagecoach."

"However, I'm pragmatic. If I stay around people who wish vengeance on a dragon, in an area where that dragon lives and torments its surroundings, there is a strong likelihood that I will eventually encounter the dragon. And if I do meet it and cannot run away or hide, I would appreciate knowing how best to kill it. Don't know if self-preservation is conviction."

@tyrtaeus

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, JubalBreakbottle said:

Saves & Abilities

Gilavar listens and looks surprised when Katya uses the words mission and conviction. After a comfortable pause, the elf replies, "Umm. I'd never heard the name of Cryovain until it was spoken in the Stagecoach where it was spoken in the context of potential vengeance."

"As I've said, my mission, such as it is, is to wander civilization and experience the world beyond my clan, so I can better appreciate my clan and bring back new stories, like the Stagecoach."

"However, I'm pragmatic. If I stay around people who wish vengeance on a dragon, in an area where that dragon lives and torments its surroundings, there is a strong likelihood that I will eventually encounter the dragon. And if I do meet it and cannot run away or hide, I would appreciate knowing how best to kill it. Don't know if self-preservation is conviction."

@tyrtaeus

:
:

:

:

<1/2>

| SpellsCantrips
GuidanceGuidance
Divination Cantrip

DruidcraftDruidcraft
Transmutation Cantrip

Level 1 <3/3>
Speak with Animals
Cure Wounds
Entangle
Detect Magic

Katya nods her head, understanding his hesitance at her claim.

"My apologies, I simply meant hearing of the Dragon, your first thought is what can we learn and how can we win, it is certainly an admirable trait, your clan must be quite honorable. As for self-preservation, one could hardly call having the will and conviction to hunt a Dragon in ones self interest, no?"

If she had any sense, she would have abandoned this mission of hers entirely and taken as many of the remaining riches as possible and found a nice life for herself in Waterdeep or Baldurs Gate after the attack. That was how she viewed someone with self-preservation in mind. For the Princess, her own actions were one of a mad woman with no hope. For him to see the predicament that she and others were in regarding the Dragon, with no interest of his own in the situation, to turn around and be so open to facing such a foe was beyond her understanding.

"When I set out, I did not believe I would find a single person who could help, never mind would help, and it seems I have had the devils luck to run into a whole group of astounding people"

It was easy to feel out of place when surrounded by selfless heroes, especially when she had grown up around politicians and nobles, spineless cowards who were happy to send others to face the dangers they were too craven to face. Her isolation from selflessness made it all the more remarkable when she had encountered it for the first time. She places the now empty cup of tea on one of the stones nearby and brings the tips of her fingers to her lips to cover the small laugh at a secondary thought that crosses her mind.

"Dragons are simply a problem to overcome, but the stagecoach is what you wish to report back, your clan must have seen some incredible things"

spacer.png

Edited by tyrtaeus (see edit history)

Saves & Abilities

Gilavar listens and smiles at her questions, "Self-interest, no. If you are accompanying people who all want to jump in a lake, you better be prepared to swim."

"And yes, slaying evil dragons is not new to my clan. Dangerous but not new. On the other hand, that Stagecoach is very new." His smile broadens.

"So you admit, that your mission is to kill that dragon?" He asks mischievously.

@tyrtaeus

7 hours ago, JubalBreakbottle said:

Saves & Abilities

Gilavar listens and smiles at her questions, "Self-interest, no. If you are accompanying people who all want to jump in a lake, you better be prepared to swim."

"And yes, slaying evil dragons is not new to my clan. Dangerous but not new. On the other hand, that Stagecoach is very new." His smile broadens.

"So you admit, that your mission is to kill that dragon?" He asks mischievously.

@tyrtaeus

:
:

:

:

<1/2>

| SpellsCantrips
GuidanceGuidance
Divination Cantrip

DruidcraftDruidcraft
Transmutation Cantrip

Level 1 <3/3>
Speak with Animals
Cure Wounds
Entangle
Detect Magic

She thinks about his question, letting the sounds of the night fill in their conversation for the moment while she rallies her courage to finally speak her mind for the first since she had left her home. The thought had filled her mind since the night of the attack, it was selfish, but she could no longer deny the feeling.

"Restoring my home is my mission, killing the Dragon is personal"

Normally, she deplored violence and she hoped that things could be resolved peacefully, but Cryovain was a different story. Katya could return home and fulfill her mission with or without slaying the Dragon, but she doubted she would ever be able to rest while the devil roamed the skies.

"It would seem my experience is useless, but from the sounds of it, you have a wealth of information to draw from regarding the slaying of Dragons"

spacer.png

Saves & Abilities

Gilavar smiles broadly again, "information about slaying dragons? Hardly. The dragon-slaying stories that I've heard were just that, stories. They were not instructional lectures. If anything, I've learned a healthy respect for dragons, and my first instinct would be run and hide."

"That's why I was asking you if you figured anything out about that particular dragon."

"And, I understand and respect making it a personal vendetta against the dragon. I'll help you if I can."

@tyrtaeus