Chapter IV: On the Road

Gregorotto

DaniRosznar-fotor-bg-remover-20230825202249.png.6294998c35692bd5d40a73e0d27b5fa2.pngDaniella "Dani" Violette Claribel Rosznar II

Human Graviturgy Wizard (4)

checked-shield.svgAC: 12 | health-normal.svg HP: 22/22 | awareness.svg PP: 15 | WS: 0/2 | Spell Slots | Insp | Languages: Common, Chondothan, Elvish, Draconic, Infernal

Daniella’s eyes flared with anger and her jaw tensed. There were plenty more important matters to focus on, but in that moment, she was focused on the one that had disrespected her. When she spoke, her voice was low and even, though not at all quiet. “I care very little whether the guard is here or not…” She fell into the familiar role of hateful little sorority sister, remembering her time back at the Academy. “…this ‘little girl’ can show you what my place is. My PLACE is right here, laughing at your pathetic attempt to grovel for mercy when I’ve turned your legs and whatever measly excuse you call a manhood into a puddle of viscera. Maybe I’ll consider mercy, too, after you’ve licked your own gore from the sole of my boot. Not even the artificers of Gond will have a solution for your ruined body, yet still you will be at my beck and call until I’m done with you — Until I feel you’ve paid proper recompense. I wonder how you will feel about your cute little comment then? I wonder if you will think it was worth it? Let’s find out, hmm? Take a swing, ‘big boy’. I dare you.” Daniella held Akbar’s stare for what seemed an eternity, and behind her calculating eyes was a burning madness that longed to reveal her true capabilities — a madness derived from experimenting outside the bounds of Mystra’s schools of magic; a madness with a suspicious familiarity among those who had gambled with Netherese magic and lost…

…Or perhaps she merely was tired of being disrespected. There was truly only one way to find out. 

Whatever else was going on was of little interest to Dani, at least for now. She could catch up easily enough to the situation at hand. But backing down from an arrogant, misogynistic racist was out of the question. She would not look away until either he did, or one of them was dead. Of course, she was so focused on her hatred for this man, that she did not see the bear barreling up to prove her point.

Edited by Spektor (see edit history)

Dani gets her point across and Akbar's eyes flare in fury, ready to strike Daniella for her insolence, but in his fury, he does not hear his companions suddenly crying out in time to save him from the barreling of the Wendibear, knocking him full flat on his ass and giving him reason to roll, as much from the force as from a need to not die. He rolls up as the City Watch suddenly trains their weapons on the bear, the Mordarchs stepping back and Belmund, the local, quickly trying to tear down tempers while communicating needs as much as possible. Among the guards is a Shaaran half-elf by the name of Talun Twinpike, a known entity within Those Who Harp though not exactly a member: a contact, if anything, to keep an eye on things. Belmund tries to privately communicate his loyalties to all involved and ends up practically screaming it, though not everyone knows what the harp and moon mean together. Talun, however, very clearly understands. Clearly among the Calishites, they do know what it means, and as they help Akbar to his feet, he scowls at Belmund and Dani before giving his full fury to Wendibear and Rahnur. "You know not what you do: I am here because Osnoh asked me to be! But if you are insufferable city-dwellers and wild animals, so be it: my honor demands I serve my sister and protect her first, but you will be dealt with, honorless dogs." He speaks to the City Watch and the Mordarchs. "I will be waiting for my sister at the Basilisk Gate: escourt my sister there if peace means anything to you." Blade drawn, Akbar points it at Wendibear and Dani. "Try anything more, and you shall find why they call me the Lion of Verdashir. I need not become an animal to show you the ferocity of one." He spits, and leaves.

As tensions die down, Theodoric asks the priestess of Kelemvor his questions. Scyre sighs, shaking her head. "Nothing conclusive on the side of who the culprits are, the Flaming Fist doesn't know any better than the Watch. I deal only with rumor here, but they say dragon-like symbols are found at the sites of these murders. Ask one of the guards to draw it for you."

Soon, Osnoh appears and leads them within, the condolences given. "Bless you, son," she says to Aralim, shaking her head, "but we will manage. Whatever Rahnur wants, we have the money for, I think. My husband placed an insurance policy on the place, though if we can get them to pay out is another matter entirely. Regardless, the brigands who came did not take our money. We are well-off enough to survive this, if we need to adapt. I think this ship is sunk, sadly, but...." She shakes her head, fighting tears before she reveals the nature of the attack and the death of Rahnur's father, Osnoh weeping into Rahnur's arms as Aralim takes the missive and reads it in translation. It is the last line that breaks Osnoh's tears: the mention of "two." "No. No no no."

She changes to their native tongue. "RahnurAlzhedo: Rahnur, she never confided in me, but I think she is pregnant. She was beginning to show signs, began moving differently. The timeline matches when you left, months ago: there's still many moons left, but this is a dangerous time for her. You have to save her, for me. For your father. She's as a daughter to me. bana hiç güvenmedi ama sanırım hamile. İşaretler göstermeye başladı, farklı hareket etmeye başladı. Zaman çizelgesi, aylar önce ayrıldığınız zamanla eşleşiyor: hâlâ çok sayıda uydu var, ancak bu onun için tehlikeli bir zaman. Benim için onu kurtarmalısın. Baban için. O benim kızım gibidir." If his mother doesn't know for certain, he knows there is one soul in Baldur's Gate who would absolutely know: Loren's best friend, Timber Brakesheaf. But gods... now, of all times?

Osnoh turns her attention from this secondary revelation to Rahnur to his companions. "Who has done this to my family? Please, as you have been friends to my son in the past, I ask you: be a friend to him now. Help him bring our Loren home."

Out of Character

To jut in as a DM: you may want to Investigate the scene to see if there are clues left, particularly based on what Theodoric collected from Scyre.

Aralim: to determine the total income, we need to do some Downtime rolls. Let's hit up the Discord chat and figure out how rich Rahnur is.

5rqfzpE.png

Wendy
Level 4 Goblin Urchin Druid (Circle of the Moon)

AC: 17 (Dex 2 + Leather 11 + Shield 2 + Dragon Helm 2) | HP: 32/32 | HD: 4/4d8 | Speed: 30 ft.

STR: 10 (+0) | DEX: 15 (+2) | CON: 14 (+2)
INT: 12 (+1) | WIS: 18 (+4) | CHA: 8 (–1)

Senses: darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 15, passive Investigation 11
Wild Shapes: 1/2 per short rest

More Traits, Features, and Abilities

Proficiencies

Languages. Common (from race), Goblin (from race), and Druidic (See “Class Features”)

Tools. disguise kit, herbalism kit, painter’s supplies

Armor. light armor, medium armor, shields (druids will not wear armor or use shields made of metal)

Weapons. clubs, daggers, darts, javelins, maces, quarterstaffs, scimitars, sickles, slings, spears

Racial Features

Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws you make to avoid or end the Charmed condition on yourself.

Fury of the Small. (1/1) Fury of the Small. When you damage a creature with an attack or a spell and the creature’s size is larger than yours, you can cause the attack or spell to deal extra damage to the creature. The extra damage equals your proficiency bonus.

You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, regaining all expended uses when you finish a long rest, and you can use it no more than once per turn.

Nimble Escape. You can take the Disengage or Hide action as a bonus action on each of your turns.

Background Feature

City Secrets. You know the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss. When you are not in combat, you (and companions you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.

Class Features

Druidic. You know Druidic, the secret language of druids. You can speak the language and use it to leave hidden messages. You and others who know this language automatically spot such a message. Others spot the message’s presence with a successful DC 15 Wisdom (Perception) check but can’t decipher it without magic.

Spellcasting. Wendy is a 4rd-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). She can prepare up to 6 druid spells. She has the following druid spells prepared:

Cantrips (at will): control flames, primal pavagery, shape water, shillelagh
1st level (4/4 slots): cure wounds, entangle, good berry, healing word
2nd level (3/3 slots): enlarge/reduce, moonbeam

Cantrips

control flames, shape water, shillelagh

1st Level

absorb elements, animal friendship, beast bond, charm person, create or destroy water, cure wounds, detect magic, detect poison and disease, earth tremor, entangle, faerie fire, fog cloud, goodberry, healing word, ice knife, jump, longstrider, protection from evil and good, purify food and drink, snare, speak with animals, thunderwave

2nd Level

air bubble, animal messenger, augury, barkskin, beast sense, continual flame, darkvision, dust devil, earthbind, enhance ability, enlarge/reduce, find traps, flame blade, flaming sphere, gust of wind, healing spirit, heat metal, hold person, lesser restoration, locate animals or plants, locate object, moonbeam, pass without trace, protection from poison, skywrite, spike growth, summon beast, warding wind, wither and bloom

Druid Circle. At 2nd level, you choose to identify with a circle of druids from the list of available circles. Your choice grants you features at 2nd level and again at 6th, 10th, and 14th level.

Combat Wild Shape. You gain the ability to use Wild Shape on your turn as a bonus action, rather than as an action.

Circle Forms. The rites of your circle grant you the ability to transform into more dangerous animal forms. Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Wild Shape to transform into a beast with a challenge rating as high as 1 (you ignore the Max. CR column of the Beast Shapes table, but must abide by the other limitations there).

List of Beasts Wendy Can Turn into

Wild Companion. You gain the ability to summon a spirit that assumes an animal form: as an action, you can expend a use of your Wild Shape feature to cast the find familiar spell, without material components.

When you cast the spell in this way, the familiar is a fey instead of a beast, and the familiar disappears after a number of hours equal to half your druid level.

Wild Shape. Starting at 2nd level, you can use your action to magically assume the shape of a beast that you have seen before. You can use this feature twice. You regain expended uses when you finish a short or long rest.

Wild Shape Improvement. At 4th level, your Wild Shape improves as shown on the Beast Shapes table.

Actions
Quarterstaff (shillelagh). Melee Weapon Attack: +0 to hit (+6 to hit with shillelagh), reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage, 4 (1d8) bludgeoning damage if wielded with two hands, or 7 (1d8 + 4) magical bludgeoning damage with shillelagh.

Sling. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) bludgeoning damage.

Dagger. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.

Handaxe. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6 + 0) slashing damage.

Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) slashing damage.

Money

pp: 0 | gp: 38 | ep: 16 | sp: 40 | cp: 208 | 100 gp gemstone: 1

Inventory

Worn or At-Hand (an interact with object to retrieve)

1 set of Frulam Mondath’s purple robes (won from killing Frulam Mondath, 3 lb.)
1 set of leather armor (starting equipment, 10 lb.)
1 wooden shield (starting equipment, 6 lb.)
1 Black Dragon Helm (wooden shield) (looted off Tiamat Statue, 6 lb.)
1 hat of disguise (Wondrous item, uncommon (requires attunement) While wearing this hat, you can use an action to cast the disguise self spell from it at will. The spell ends if the hat is removed.) (won in Elturel fair)
1 druidic focus (wooden staff—starting equipment, 4 lb.)
7/7 daggers (small knife—starting equipment & confiscated from kobolds, 1 lb.)
1 handaxe (starting equipment, 2 lb.)
1 shortsword (—)
1 sling (given to her by Gov. Nighthill, —)
30/30 sling bullets (given to her by Gov. Nighthill, 33.6 oz. (1.2 oz, each)
1 backpack (starting equipment, 5 lb.)
1 belt pouch (starting equipment, 1 lb.)
1 fifty-foot, hempen rope (starting equipment, 10 lb.)
1 waterskin (starting equipment, 5 lb. (full))
1 hooded lantern (bought in Greenest, 2 lb.)
5/5 oil (flasks) (bought in Greenest, 1 lb., each), hanging on belt loops to fuel her hooded lantern or toss at enemies!

Stowed away in, or Strapped to Her Backpack (an action to retrieve)

15/10 days’ worth of rations (starting equipment, 20 lb.)
1 map of the city you grew up in (Waterdeep—from urchin background)
1 mess kit (starting equipment, 1 lb.)
1 tinderbox (starting equipment, 1 lb.)
1 token to remember your parents by (a book that tells the story of a legendary hero’s rise and fall, with the last chapter missing—starting equipment, 5 lb.)
10/10 torches (starting equipment, 9 lb.)
1 painter’s supplies (from starting 500 gp item, 5 lb.—topped off in Elturel)
1 disguise kit (from starting 500 gp item , 3 lb.)
1 herbalism kit (purchased with 5 of the 10 starting gold, 3 lb.)
1 set of common clothes (starting equipment, 3 lb.)
1 painting by an artist long forgotten by everyone except a dragon
1 potion of ??? (won in Elturel fair)

Party Wagon (pulled by Ruby)

Wendy and her friends!

15/10 days’ worth of feed (bought in Greenest, 10 lb., each)
1 pack saddle (bought in Greenest, 15 lb.)
1 bit and bridle (bought in Greenest, 10 lb., each)
1 saddlebags (bought in Greenest, 8 lb.)
1 two-person tent (bought in Greenest, 20 lb.)
1 bedroll (starting equipment, 7 lb.)
1 chest (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
2/2 cases for maps and scrolls (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 set of fine clothes (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 lamp (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 bottle of ink (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 ink pen (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
2/2 flasks of oil (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
5/5 sheets of paper (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 vial of perfume (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 sealing wax (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)
1 soap (bought in Elturel, part of diplomat’s pack)

Sanders (Wendy’s Pet Mouse from Her Urchin Background)

eVuAZvu.png

Sanders

Tiny Beast, Lawful Good
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 1 (1d4 – 1)
Speed 20 ft.

Str 2 (–4) Dex 11 (+0) Con 9 (–1)
Int 2 (–4) Wis 10 (+0) Cha 4 (–3)

Senses darkvision 30 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages
Proficiency Bonus +2
Keen Smell. Sanders has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Actions

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +0 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 piercing damage.

Ruby (Wendy’s Draft Horse—Purchased in Greenest)

D5qG4Ge.png

Ruby (pulling the Party Wagon)

Large Beast, Lawful Good
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 19 (3d10 + 3)
Speed 40 ft.

Str 18 (+4) Dex 10 (+0) Con 12 (+1)
Int 2 (–4) Wis 11 (+0) Cha 7 (–2)

Senses passive Perception 10
Languages
Proficiency Bonus +2
Keen Smell. Sanders has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Actions

Hooves. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (2d4 + 4) bludgeoning damage.

IC
Date

18 Kythorn, Year of the Warrior Princess,
Eastway, Lower City, Baldur’s Gate
Western Heartlands, Sword Coast

Akbar splutters some more impotent gibberish at them, not understanding just how close to death he is, but Wendibear is aware of her companions attempting to calm her. Instead of just mauling the man to death then and there, she chooses to laugh at him—however a bear would laugh—as he and his companions skitter with their tails tucked between their legs.

She contemplates grabbing the man and throwing him roughly at Dani’s feet—after all, Dani hadn’t given the man permission to move a muscle, yet. That said, there are probably more important things she could be doing with her time.

Wendibear walks the gangplank into the hold of the burnt out hulk and takes off her hat of disguise out of view of anyone else after transforming back into her normal self. Wendy slinks over to Rahnur and gives him a comforting pat.

“I’ll help look for clues, Rahnur,” she says, “Take all the time you need.”

With that, she sets about performing the help action for whoever investigates investigating the scene for clues. Edit: But she was really bad at it and not only didn’t find anything useful, but also found several not-useful things that only served to waste time.

OOC

Movement:

Action(s): Help Action to grant Advantage to someone else’s Intelligence (Investigation) check.

Bonus Action:

Reaction:

Interact-with-Object:

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin
Added the result of her piss-poor investigation roll (see edit history)
Name
Intelligence (Investigation) check
1d20+1 3
Intelligence (Investigation) check (Advantage from Theo)
1d20+1 7

Theodoric.png.2eb4b4312fa820331118ff4b80ef39e9.pngTheodoric | Aasimar Paladin 4

AC: 20 (Plate & Shield) | HP: 36/36 | DR: 3 (Nonmagical B/P/S) | Initiative: -1 | Passive Perception: 11 | Class / Race Features | Prepared Spells

Healing Hands (2d4): 1/1 | Celestial Revelation: 1/1 | Divine Sense: 4/4 | Lay on Hands: 20/20 | Channel Divinity: 1/1 | Harness Divine Power: 1/1 | 1st Lvl Slots: 3/3

Theodoric observes the rising tensions between Akbar and the party carefully, waiting, expecting even, for the pin to fall. He can't help but deny that the rush of adrenaline feels exhilarating, but is still thankful that their new dwarven contact steps in to calm things down. He gives Belmund a nod of approval and watches Akbar make his leave before continuing his conversation with Scyre.

"Dragon-like... yes, that makes sense." He turns his radiant gaze towards the guard Belmund had referred to as Talun and asks, "Could you provide such a drawing? I feel it will be very familiar to some of us. We will assist you in investigating now that the 'Lion' has left with his tail tucked firmly between his legs."

He manages to enter Rahnur's abode just as Aralim is finishing the translation of the letter left behind. A growl and clench of a gauntleted fist is his initial response, before he relaxes and looks to Rahnur and his mother. "I believe you have mentioned this 'Rezmir' before. A fiend most vile. On my honor as a servant of Tyr, the Even-Handed, I will ensure justice is carried out. She will be returned to you, to her family, and Rezmir will pay for every injustice he has done. This, I swear." He gives the two a quick salute, fist colliding with his chest twice with heavy clangs.

With his oath made, he walks over to Wendy, ready to lend a hand as well. Addressing everyone present, he says, "The Mortarch says there has been a string of possible murders throughout the city, and rumors claim that dragon symbols were found at the crime scenes." He presents the drawing, if provided by Talun, to the party for reference. "Admittedly, I was never the best at finding clues at the scene. That work was left to the proper investigators in the Watch. I will do what I can to assist."

OOC

Theodoric will also use the Help action to assist someone else with Investigating. He was always better at the "in-the-moment" work vs. the "after-the-moment" crime scene study.

Edited by PhoenixSlayer (see edit history)

0p2nINr.jpg

Name: Belmund Brokenstone | Race/Class: Dwarf Ranger | HP: 40/40 AC: 13 PP: 15

Belmund let out the breath he had been holding as the scene cooled. Looking square at Wendibear and Dani, he offers his admiration. "Ye lasses, both of ye let me know iff'n ah ever slips to yer bad side so ah can start runnin' the other way, Silvanus be willin' ta let me. Yikes, ta say the least."

A thoughtful pause and a lowered tone. "Ah blame meself, that bein' said. It's fair ta say that ah wasn't a first choice in takin' ye lot into this fold, more of a convenient one, really. Ah'm use ta workin' alone or with fairly limited company, so me brashness about keepin' profiles low can be a bit...uh...lackin'. Lesson learned, as ye lot be too important fer things ta come. Attentions been drawn, be that as it may, but we best see what other service we can be to Rahnur and kin."

As Belmund moves to join the others, he passes Talun and Theodoric conversing and chimes in. "Aye, and any additional info ye might have could be helpful." He pats Theodoric's shoulder, speaking to Talun, again in hushed tones, "This one can be trusted insofar as I can."

Catching the eyes of another in the crowd, Belmund nods. Wendyl was the guards name, but Belmund was new to his acquantance. Still, the man might prove useful in some of the more below-board ways that Belmund sometimes resorted to. Laws and paragons of them were fine and well so long as everyone played by the same rules, but the was Baldur's Gate. He makes his way over, indicating with his eyes that Wendyl should step away from his detatchement for a moment and join him off to the side. Out of earshot is probably out of the question in this environment, but it was worth a try.

"Ye'd be wizened ta keep an eye on Akbar and crew at the Basilisk Gate. Feelin's say this...altercation...runs a bit deeper than the surface'll show. Do ye know who might be mannin' it today? Are ye able to put eyes on 'em yerself? Ye'd be doin' me a solid service, Wendyl."

After his brief chat with Wendyl, he made his way into the dwelling to help with any further investigation.

Would Wendyl be an asset or a liability? Only time would time.

OOC

Belmund reflects on his own contribution so far, tries to lend any influence he can to Theodoric's question to Talun, and tries to speak privately with Wendyl to enlist further help.

Then helps with investigation.

Barely, apparently.

Action:

Bonus:

Movement:

Name
Investigation
1d20+2 7

IC

spacer.pngRahnur Rhahlem

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2594301

NG Half-Drow Fighter (Champion) Lvl 4  AC 15 HP 34/34 Speed 30 ft. PP 14

Ability Scores, Saves, and Skills 

Str 8 (-1), Dex 18 (+4), Con 13 (+1), Int 12 (+1), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 14 (+2)
Strength Save: +1
Dexterity Save: +4; Acrobatics +6
Constitution Save: +3
Intelligence Save: +1
Wisdom Save: +2; Insight +4, Perception +4
Charisma Save: +2; Persuasion +4

Attack and Scores

2 Shortswords +6, 1d6+4; Longbow +8, 1d8+4, 150/300; Dagger +6, 1d4+4, 20/60

Class and Race Abilities

Darkvision: 60 ft.
Drow Magic (DC 12):
At will - Dancing LightsYou create up to four torch-sized lights within range, making them appear as torches, lanterns, or glowing orbs that hover in the air for the duration. You can also combine the four lights into one glowing vaguely humanoid form of Medium size. Whichever form you choose, each light sheds dim light in a 10-foot radius.

As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the lights up to 60 feet to a new spot within range. A light must be within 20 feet of another light created by this spell, and a light winks out if it exceeds the spell's range.

1/day - Faerie FireEach object in a 20-foot cube within range is outlined in blue, green, or violet light (your choice). Any creature in the area when the spell is cast is also outlined in light if it fails a Dexterity saving throw. For the duration, objects and affected creatures shed dim light in a 10-foot radius.

Any attack roll against an affected creature or object has advantage if the attacker can see it, and the affected creature or object can't benefit from being invisible.

Fey AncestryYou have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.

Fighting Style: Archery

Second Wind (Recharges After a Short or Long Rest)You have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.
: 1d10+3

Action SurgeStarting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional action.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again. Starting at 17th level, you can use it twice before a rest, but only once on the same turn.

“My words…” | ‘My thoughts…’| My Actions

Rahnur glowered at his uncle as he continued his threats, "And you're a cowardly brute who has no honor because if he had honor, he would have been helping his sister from the beginning and not let his own ego and prejudice get in the way. My mother is the only reason why I haven't lost my temper in and decided to use you for target practice." Rahnur stated as he gestured to his new quiver, "It wasn't just a kobold I was able to bring down without issue, but also a half-dragon that's bigger and stronger than you. So if you decide to try anything against us, the best I can hope is that they'll just leave you badly bruised. Maybe cut your loses now, hold your tongue, and leave!"

When they were inside and Aralim finally translated the letter, Rahnur held his mother close as she began to sob again and he tried to regain his bearings. His shoulders visibly shook and his eyes were narrowed as he took several long and angry breaths. He had feared the Guild more than the cult coming after them. After all, they had mostly stayed in disguise and attacked from the shadows. Maybe...maybe those two heretics managed to get the word to them before they were killed.

Rahnur's thoughts were interrupted when his mother spoke to him in their native language, and again his body went rigid as he looked down at her with wide eyes, "Emin misin?! Ne kadar...uzun süredir...saçma olamaz!""Are you sure?! She can't be...how long...crap!" Rahnur stepped back as he once more tried to regain his bearings. He pressed the palms of his hands against his eyes as he let out a string of curses. He remembered writing the letter for her back in Greenest about the idea of having kids. It was something they were definitely talking about and while there were some uncertainties - money, the obvious public perception, and just them being young - Rahnur certainly wouldn't have minded especially with his güzel çiçeklovely flower. And now it was happening and in the worst way happening.

Rahnur stopped after a few moments before he took a long breath and turned to Aralim and Theodric, "I...thank you...looks like I'm coming with you either way..." he took another long breath although this one was shaky, "I have to talk to a few people and make sure anne is safe," he then turned to his mother again. He went up to her and put his hands on her shoulder, "Mother, are you sure you want to go back to Little Calimshan. I can make arrangements for you to stay somewhere else...maybe Loren's father can also take you in for the time and I can make arrangements to help pay and care for you both."

OOC

Attack Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

DaniRosznar-fotor-bg-remover-20230825202249.png.6294998c35692bd5d40a73e0d27b5fa2.pngDaniella "Dani" Violette Claribel Rosznar II

checked-shield.svgAC: 12 | health-normal.svg HP: 22/22 | awareness.svg PP: 15 | WS: 0/2 | Spell Slots | Insp | Languages: Common, Chondothan, Elvish, Draconic, Infernal

The abrasive, red-dressed wizard raised her eyebrows and stepped back quickly at the suddenly pummeling blow from Wendibear. Her mouth skewed slightly, as if in slight disappointment, yet she nodded towards the goblin-turned-ursine as the furry figured turned back around. She blinked slowly at Akbar's pitiful final threat before his retreat, keeping her eyes trained on him until he was almost out of view. It was Belmund's comment that finally pulled her gaze away from Rahnur's uncle and towards himself, "I will be sure to let you know. Although it is regrettable that our side was the first to take an aggressive action. Better to have the side of defense when the law comes knocking. Perhaps we have not achieved our goals of remaining under the radar. Alas. The circumstances are rather unique." Dani crossed her arms and pondered on the situation for only a second before unceremoniously striding away from the conversation and after the others, towards the burned husk of the vessel.

She observed the exchange between Rahnur and his mother, picking up on minor details to suss out the grander situation, even if she could not understand the language being spoken. Peeking over Aralim's shoulder at the letter only confirmed her suspicions. Daniella furrowed her brow and stood quietly through Rahnur's outbursts, which, given the turn of events, were most valid. She considered commenting, but in the moment she could conjure nothing that would add any value or comforting voice to calm the half-drow. Better she wait for a more appropriate time to approach him in private to say her piece, if necessary.

Instead, the young Rosznar resorted to investigating the area along with the others. She took no effort to make her retracing of the others' steps subtle. She was certain something had been missed that would stand out to a more trained eye, or rather, a more trained mind to connect the smallest of pieces into something fathomable. As she searched around, she did mutter a small comment, "I hope we can sort this out quickly. Best we not miss our chance to complete our overarching goals, which, in their own way, will lead to a bit of vengeance, I think."

Name
Investigation
1d20+6 9

UESMFwv.pngAralim Empyrean (Human Cleric 1 / Sorcerer 3)

AC: 19 |  HP: 28/28 |  Passive Perception: 13 | Features | Conditions: 

Spells: ○ ○ ○ ○ (1st) | ○ ○ ○ (2nd) | Sorcery: ○ ○ ○ (normal) | ○ ○ (metamagic)

The family drama playing out before Aralim's eyes broke his heart. And it was happening to Rahnur, of all people, which only made it worse! "Madam, if there is anything I can do to help you in your time of need, please. You have but to say the word. Rahnur here has saved all our lives, it's the least we can do.

"In the meantime, may the Morninglord's light surround you, Osnoh, like the gentle dawn that brings hope to a new day. As the sun rises, so too may your heart be lifted with the assurance that Lathander's grace watches over your son and his family. In the face of darkness, trust in the dawn, and may it herald the reunion of your family in the warmth of the sunrise's light."

He took a scan of the letter once more. Something was nagging him, and the reaction of Rahnur and Osnoh tugged at his conscience. Like the brilliance of a new day, the darkness over the young priest's eyes finally lifted as he realized what possibly everyone else in the room already knew.

"Wait. L-- Loren's pregnant?"

Mechanics

Action:

Bonus Action:

Move:

Other:

Outside concludes predictably. Akbar takes in what Rahnur's threat is, and grins before stepping away. "Remember this day, nephew. Remember it, and rue this day." Nearby, Theodoric asks a fair question of Talun, and the watchman considers. "Yeah, yeah, I can get you something like that. Not right now: whence can I find you?" He looks at Belmund for this answer specifically, giving him a knowing smile: it does not require a reply, but the Harper way is to give one anyway. Soon, the conversation transitions inside, with letters and revelations aplenty.spacer.png

As Rahnur reels from the Alzhedo-only response his mother gave him, she places a hand on his arm, mournful and tearful. "Your father was so proud. He... He had started sketches. An easy way for Loren and for you to reach... oh gods, he was so proud, Rahnur." While the half-drow mourns, Wendy, Dani, and the others begin to search the remains of Rahnur's home while Aralim processes the letter, the last line threatening something. As she hunts, the goblin finds very little of use: small statues of families, of dragons and manticores and deer, the beginnings of a walking stick even: nothing remotely useful. Dani, however, finds something all the more interesting: a concept piece, showing what looks like... not a bed, but a crib. A level is pulled and the bed raises, the bars staying down, thus allowing the parents to lower or raise the bed according to need and age. Ingenious and clever, and.... it hits her as soon as Aralim says it aloud.

Loren is pregnant, and in the clutches of Rezmir. Rahnur is going to be a father.

Then, Dani notices just below the scarred concept piece, a mark on the scorched table. In some kind of red-brown stain, there is a symbol of five talon-like marks and a dragon set before it, made magically of fire. This is a new symbol but it is unmistakable from her time spent in the Dragon Hatchery.

This is a symbol of the Cult of the Dragon.

Osnoh nods to Aralim's revelation. "Indeed. Not far along, but far enough for concern regarding nutrition and potential damage. My husband was so looking forward to being a proud papa... oh, my sweet boy. Morninglord, you and your companions have to help Rahnur. Keep his head on his shoulders. Bring Loren home safe." Rahnur insists she stay somewhere else, not in Little Calimshan. "No, son. They came for us in our home. I would not endanger any but family. Besides, Loren's family has always been clear about their stance on you, on us, and now on Loren. When I told him of her condition, Loren's father spat and sent me out, screaming for me not to bring lies into his house ever again. No: the only place I can be safe is with my brother in Little Calimshan. These murderers dare not find me there. If you put me up somewhere else, how can you protect me? You need to focus on your wife, Rahnur, not on me. If I live through this, it will be to see the eyes of my beautiful grandbaby. For that to happen, you must do your part, and I mine. So, I will go to my brother's home, and we will change things when there is news from you. And I will await news eagerly."

With that in mind, and with no more revelations to be had, Osnoh collects her small bag of things, placing one of the carvings of a family Wendy found into her bag and fingering the taller, masculine figure with her thumb before she does so. "Let us be gone. I will let the Mortarchs have him, and we will bury my habibi tomorrow. And then, you will hunt these dogs like Selûne hunts the dark of night, and with no more mercy than she."

5rqfzpE.png

Wendy

AC: 17 (Dex 2 + Leather 11 + Shield 2 + Dragon Helm 2) | HP: 32/32 | HD: 4/4d8 | Speed: 30 ft.

Proficiencies

Languages. Common (from race), Goblin (from race), and Druidic (See “Class Features”)

Armor. light armor, medium armor, shields (druids will not wear armor or use shields made of metal)

Weapons. clubs, daggers, darts, javelins, maces, quarterstaffs, scimitars, sickles, slings, spears

Racial Features

Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws you make to avoid or end the Charmed condition on yourself.

Fury of the Small. (1/1) Fury of the Small. When you damage a creature with an attack or a spell and the creature’s size is larger than yours, you can cause the attack or spell to deal extra damage to the creature. The extra damage equals your proficiency bonus.

You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, regaining all expended uses when you finish a long rest, and you can use it no more than once per turn.

Nimble Escape. You can take the Disengage or Hide action as a bonus action on each of your turns.

Background Feature

City Secrets. You know the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss. When you are not in combat, you (and companions you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.

Class Features

Druidic. You know Druidic, the secret language of druids. You can speak the language and use it to leave hidden messages. You and others who know this language automatically spot such a message. Others spot the message’s presence with a successful DC 15 Wisdom (Perception) check but can’t decipher it without magic.

Spellcasting. Wendy is a 4rd-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). She can prepare up to 6 druid spells. She has the following druid spells prepared:

Cantrips (at will): control flames, primal savagery, shape water, shillelagh

Cantrips

1st Level

absorb elements, animal friendship, beast bond, charm person, create or destroy water, cure wounds, detect magic, detect poison and disease, earth tremor, entangle, faerie fire, fog cloud, goodberry, healing word, ice knife, jump, longstrider, protection from evil and good, purify food and drink, snare, speak with animals, thunderwave

2nd Level

air bubble, animal messenger, augury, barkskin, beast sense, continual flame, darkvision, dust devil, earthbind, enhance ability, enlarge/reduce, find traps, flame blade, flaming sphere, gust of wind, healing spirit, heat metal, hold person, lesser restoration, locate animals or plants, locate object, moonbeam, pass without trace, protection from poison, skywrite, spike growth, summon beast, warding wind, wither and bloom

Druid Circle. At 2nd level, you choose to identify with a circle of druids from the list of available circles. Your choice grants you features at 2nd level and again at 6th, 10th, and 14th level.

Combat Wild Shape. You gain the ability to use Wild Shape on your turn as a bonus action, rather than as an action.

Circle Forms. The rites of your circle grant you the ability to transform into more dangerous animal forms. Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Wild Shape to transform into a beast with a challenge rating as high as 1 (you ignore the Max. CR column of the Beast Shapes table, but must abide by the other limitations there).

Wild Companion. You gain the ability to summon a spirit that assumes an animal form: as an action, you can expend a use of your Wild Shape feature to cast the find familiar spell, without material components.

When you cast the spell in this way, the familiar is a fey instead of a beast, and the familiar disappears after a number of hours equal to half your druid level.

Wild Shape. Starting at 2nd level, you can use your action to magically assume the shape of a beast that you have seen before. You can use this feature twice. You regain expended uses when you finish a short or long rest.

Wild Shape Improvement. At 4th level, your Wild Shape improves as shown on the Beast Shapes table.

Actions
Quarterstaff (shillelagh). Melee Weapon Attack: +0 to hit (+6 to hit with shillelagh), reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage, 4 (1d8) bludgeoning damage if wielded with two hands, or 7 (1d8 + 4) magical bludgeoning damage with shillelagh.

Sling. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) bludgeoning damage.

Dagger. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.

Handaxe. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6 + 0) slashing damage.

Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) slashing damage.

Money

Inventory

1 hat of disguise (Wondrous item, uncommon (requires attunement) While wearing this hat, you can use an action to cast the disguise self spell from it at will. The spell ends if the hat is removed.) (won in Elturel fair)
1 shortsword (—)
5/5 oil (flasks) (bought in Greenest, 1 lb., each), hanging on belt loops to fuel her hooded lantern or toss at enemies!

1 token to remember your parents by (a book that tells the story of a legendary hero’s rise and fall, with the last chapter missing—starting equipment, 5 lb.)

Wendy and her friends!

eVuAZvu.png

Sanders

Tiny Beast, Lawful Good
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 1 (1d4 – 1)
Speed 20 ft.

Languages
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +0 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 piercing damage.

D5qG4Ge.png

Large Beast, Lawful Good
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 19 (3d10 + 3)
Speed 40 ft.

Languages
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Hooves. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (2d4 + 4) bludgeoning damage.

IC
Date

“If you think that is what is best,” Wendy responds to the woman saying that she’ll go with her brother. “But that doesn’t mean we’ll have to like it.” Turning to Rahnur, she says, “I hope we can get to your wife before they do anything to her or your baby! And if they do . . . we’ll, I think I’ve shown you that the blood of my lineage can sometimes flow strongly in my veins . . .” with that a positively bloodthirsty grin mars Wendy’s otherwise very cute face.

OOC

Movement:

Action(s):

Bonus Action:

Reaction:

Interact-with-Object:

0p2nINr.jpg

Name: Belmund Brokenstone | Race/Class: Dwarf Ranger | HP: 40/40 AC: 13 PP: 15

Without any indication that the Guard Wendyl was in a position to know much of anything, let alone who was stationed at the Basilisk Gate, Belmund nodded and moved on, not wanting to bother the man anymore. Not everyone shared his version of the organized chaos that was Baldur's Gate, something he was often painfully aware of, at times. In that moment, he found himself missing the North. Less hustle, less congestion.

Joining the others made him feel worse, in a way. A mother-to-be had been kidnapped? "Gods protect her and her child," he offered, "at least until we get ta 'er." He nods to Wendy, knowing full well her ferocious words carry much weight. "Seems some strange stars be alignin'," he continued, glancing at the symbol Dani noticed, "more'n we might be seein' in this moment. But ye lot have a choice te make. We can meet with our next point o' contact at Blackgate, who'fer Ah make no promises, but might be able to lend a hand or ten in gettin' Rahnur's wife back. The, ah, organization has eyes and ears in many corners, so to speak, so meetin' with 'im first might be in the best intrests o' all involved...save for the scum doin' the kidnappin'." He paused and thought just how to word the next option. "Or...we set out now to retrieve her ourselves, missions be damned. Yer dossier's spoke much of the group bond and yet those words clearly did not do it justice. Ah'll be backin' ye no matter yer decision, if it's any crime or comfort."

And with that, he nodded, unsure if the group had accepted him, yet. Infiltration was not his purpose, of course, but some people got the wrong impression now and then. The Harpers, after all, did work in shadow more than Belmund cared to admit, being a rather un-shadowy type. But the Cult of the Dragon? Now there were some dark shadows.

It seemed that no matter what the group chose to do next, they were destined to step into those dark shadows.

OOC

Belmund is still feeling a little like an outsider, and a bit blindsided by the family affair. He resolves to support the group no matter what, and proposes options.

Action:

Bonus:

Movement:

UESMFwv.pngAralim Empyrean (Human Cleric 1 / Sorcerer 3)

AC: 19 |  HP: 28/28 |  Passive Perception: 13 | Features | Conditions: 

Spells: ○ ○ ○ ○ (1st) | ○ ○ ○ (2nd) | Sorcery: ○ ○ ○ (normal) | ○ ○ (metamagic)

Few among the companions had ever seen Aralim's face set in as hard a line as it was now. His eyes were tight, his jaw clenched in grim determination. He clasped a hand to Rahnur's shoulder.

"We will get her back. No matter what."

At Belmund's words, however, the dawnpriest nodded. "We need information. Possibly the worst thing we could do is go sprinting down the wrong street. Trust me, I know how the sun can blind one's eyes to the true path. But one must look past the glare, and choose wisely.

"I say we continue to the Blackgate and see what we can dig up with our contact there."

There was nothing of the young, optimistic lad about him now.

Mechanics

Action:

Bonus Action:

Move:

Other:

Daniella's lips pulled into a tight line with the revelation that Loren is pregnant. She cast a glance in Rahnur's direction, certain the man would lose his sense of self, or perhaps do something rash. So far, he hadn't. All of his responses were both fair and logical, if not a bit driven by emotion. But even that was understandable, given the circumstances. The ex-noble had never been the 'heroic' type, and so she could not muster an inspirational speech. However, she was in agreement with the others, nodding along with their guarantees that they would get Loren back. Had she been the one to speak them, she would have added that they would 'try', as making a guarantee for something that was not certain was an easy way to be blamed when things went awry. But she understood the comfort that could be offered for one to sound more certain of their success. And so, nodding is the best she can offer in the moment.

"Aralim has the right of it. To Blackgate, then. We will gather information before blindly barrelling into an obvious trap. We would do little to help Loren by getting ourselves killed. Best we approach the situation intelligently and get the upper hand. Only then can we make them suffer for their insolence." She glanced to Belmund and added "You're quite committal considering you hardly know Rahnur, but I respect that you are carrying out the duty assigned to you. I will warn you now: this group works in unorthodox ways. The initial approach will seem...ignorant -- and perhaps it will be, given our past. But the end result will likely remain the same; we will be victorious. Come, let us get this started. Each moment we wait, our opportunity dwindles."

Theodoric.png.2eb4b4312fa820331118ff4b80ef39e9.pngTheodoric | Aasimar Paladin 4

AC: 20 (Plate & Shield) | HP: 36/36 | DR: 3 (Nonmagical B/P/S) | Initiative: -1 | Passive Perception: 11 | Class / Race Features | Prepared Spells

Healing Hands (2d4): 1/1 | Celestial Revelation: 1/1 | Divine Sense: 4/4 | Lay on Hands: 20/20 | Channel Divinity: 1/1 | Harness Divine Power: 1/1 | 1st Lvl Slots: 3/3

Theodoric sets about assisting Wendy with her investigation of the area... but it seems as though the goblin artist finds herself distracted by a number of small sculptures scattered about the area. Still, the small statuettes in particular point to a growing realization, and Dani's discovery of designs for an adjustable crib finally bring the pieces into place - Rahnur's wife was expecting a child.

Though Theodoric does not immediately recognize the symbol burned into the table, but Dani's reaction makes it clear: the Cult of the Dragon was here, and responsible for this reprehensible act.

A grim determination takes hold of Theodoric in that moment, and he considers the others' thoughts on heading to Blackgate for more information versus pursuing what leads they have right away. After a moment, he says to Rahnur in particular, "I have dealt with many a criminal and villain in my time as a member of the City Watch. From what you have told me about this Rezmir and what we have found here, this is clearly a personal vendetta. I suspect that he will want to cause you as much distress and harm as possible, and as such will wait for us. He will dangle your wife and unborn child in front of you like bait, until the very final moment. I will work to ensure that moment never arrives.  The only finality Rezmir will experience will be his own."

Shifting his gaze to Belmund, he states, "Your continued assistance is appreciated. I agree that your contacts at Blackgate are our best choice right now. Rushing in is exactly what Rezmir will want us to do."

OOC

Edited by PhoenixSlayer (see edit history)

5rqfzpE.png

Wendy

Proficiencies

Racial Features

Background Feature

Class Features

Cantrips (at will): control flames, primal savagery, shape water, shillelagh

Cantrips

1st Level

2nd Level

Actions

Money

Inventory

1 shortsword (—)

Wendy and her friends!

eVuAZvu.png

Sanders

Tiny Beast, Lawful Good
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 1 (1d4 – 1)
Speed 20 ft.

Languages
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

D5qG4Ge.png

Large Beast, Lawful Good
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 19 (3d10 + 3)
Speed 40 ft.

Languages
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

IC
Date

“Well,” Wendy says, “Even though I’m not from Badur’s Gate, I’m very adept at getting us through the nooks and crannies of the city—ways we can get there that will let us get there twice as fast as others might expect, and perhaps to shake off any followers.”

“Just follow me!”

OOC

Movement: City Secrets. You know the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss. When you are not in combat, you (and companions you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.

Action(s):

Bonus Action:

Reaction:

Interact-with-Object:

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)