Chapter IV: On the Road

Gregorotto

They walk and talk, sharing tale of each other, with each one listening to the others' tale; Trini and Leosin take notes private on the opposite story as told by Rahnur, Wendy, and Theodoric, creating a cohesive understanding. Trini whistles as they approach the Antler: "Sounds like things've been more busy than we realized, huh? Dare I say, even worse than we thought?"

Leosin nods. "Seems like it."

The two excuse themselves to get their meeting chamber, but before they do, Leosin pulls Valerian aside. "I don't think I need to tell you this again, but just in case: let's keep your affiliation to ourselves, particularly for our friend in the next room, hm?" With that, they are left to their own devices, with Dani taking initiative to get herself wine, and only the finest, buying a whole bottle with that dragonWaterdhavian denomination for gold piece purse of hers. One of the gnomes, a bespeckled blond fellow with pink highlights at the ears, hands her a bottle with a green woman's face. "Earthmother's Bounty, finest vine in all the Moonshaes, vintage 1431. Should be to your liking. And don't knock zealotry: that means something wildly different for a Garl-follower like myself than, say, that man." He indicates the man in charge of the arm-wrestling contest, a tall, bald man with scars on him and wearing well-polished but battle-tested silver armor, with the holy symbol of Torm upon the front: the Loyal Fury, god of justice and righteous rage. "Ontharr Frume. A local leader of the Order of the Gauntlet, paladin of Torm, and bit of a pain in my backside. Not sure he'd jive too well with you, eh miss? Waterdhavian nobility, I take it from your dress? Not even Baldurians dress that well, even fresh from the road as you are. I'll keep your secret, if you promise to enjoy the vintage: with some Scornubel goat cheese, hm?" He pushes a plate in front of her of wet goat cheese, smelling strongly but not unpleasantly; he does not beg coin, it seeming to come with her previous purchase or compliments of the house. The wine is sweet, then suddenly dry: a red, it has a wide palette that Dani would not have expected in a place like Elturel. But is it as good as Waterdeep or Cormyr?spacer.png

Frume booms once more. "Six takers: we'll have three initial rounds, and then the two challengers who won their matches will go on: if the previous champion is still standing, they'll face him. And who is your reigning champion!?"

The crowd is eager in response. "ONTHARR FRUME!"

A hand to his ear, the bald, bearded man nods along. "That's right: the cream of the crop rises to the top! Now, here are the listings!" He names the challengers, who line up at three tables set in the center of the room as the bards tone it down a bit. A half-orc gentleman; a black dragonborn Hellrider; a beefy halfling with the tattoos on his naked collarbone reading "Lil' Behemoth"; an older dwarven woman who seemed weirdly out of place for such a challenge; and a hobgoblin woman covered in what looked like tribal tattoos, who looks at Wendy again and again, as if she recognizes her; she does not, of course, Wendy would know her face.

The last challenger is, of course, Ontharr Frume, who faces off with the dragonborn. The three matches take place, all at once, and end within two minutes, Frume winning easily, followed by Lil' Behemoth and the dwarven woman. The hobgoblin woman quickly makes for the door, stopping to speak to no one, Wendy included; on the street, she all but disappears. The next round is simple: Lil' Behemoth and the dwarven grandmother face off, and though it is a difficult match, somehow the dwarven grandmother manages a victory over the beefy halfling.

In the final bout, Ontharr Frume promises not to take it easy on the elderly woman, who thanks him and blesses him in the name of Berronar Truesilver, dwarven goddess of hearth and protection. Soon it becomes apparent Frume never needed to take it easy on her: the dwarven grandmother strains his arm, and soon pushes him slowly, slowly, slowly to the table, standing at the end to make her point. When she wins, A Pair of Black Antlers erupts surrounding the dwarven woman, who raises her arms up in sudden jubilation, Frume holding her arm up to show her victory and his sportsmanship in defeat.

"Well, I'll be," says the gnomish barkeep. "Wonders never cease among the dwarves."spacer.png

Ontharr Frume, celebrating for a moment, soon leaves the party and sneaks towards the group, offering his blue-gauntleted hand to Theodoric, to Aralim, and then to the others. "Ontharr Frume. I believe I'm your meeting for the night, brothers and sisters. I'll take you to Leosin and Trini." And so he does, if they're willing to follow. He leads them to a back room under the stairs, a large chamber that is comfortable for the whole group and with a round table, the symbol of Torm upon it. Before them is a veritable feast, with roast lamb, two pheasants flavored differently, and a number of stewed gourds, squash and zucchini into a kind of salad with tomatoes and olive oil; cheese of every known color of cheese and a wide variety of smells; ales and meads of humble but religious origin, but nothing as fine as Dani's wine. Fruits, both fresh and sugared, salted pork, a mashing of potatoes both sweet and not, it is as if the world's table has come to them, though it is a humble spread.

"I'd say you've outdone yourself, Erlanthar, but I think this is more Trini's doing. Do you Harpers always spend so much on private meetings? No wonder you keep collapsing under your own weight."

Leosin rolls his eyes and shakes his head. "Burying the lead as always, Ontharr. I hear you lost your championship!"

Ontharr chuckles, taking a seat, but not before making sure Trini, Dani, and Wendy's chairs are pulled back for them, ever the traditionalist gentleman. "I'm always ready to eat a piece of humble pie, and that grandmama deserved it; she's matriarch of the local dwarven temple here. I just didn't expect Berronar's blessing to be quite so strong!"spacer.png

Trini rolls her eyes. "Obviously."

Allowing the gathered parties to put their plates together, Ontharr explains a bit. "Now, I'm sure Leosin has explained the purpose of our little gathering already."

Leosin and Trini look at one another. "No, no we did not, Ontharr. You forget how we operate: need to know basis."

Ontharr shoves a bit of pheasant into his mouth, speaking while chewing, gristle getting into his beard. "Nonsense: honesty breeds harmony. But here, I'll do it for you: Leosin messaged me a few days ago letting me know a group of you had saved that small town, Greenest, while Trini let me know a group found trouble in Catterholm; I've been briefed on your situations with the Cult of the Dragon and the Zhentarim. That both have reared their ugly heads is neither coincidence nor surprising: these are dark days in Faerûn. As such, we must make bedfellows of those we would not normally do so: so Leosin, an old friend, reached out to me and revealed he was among Those Who Harp: he's a Harper, in short. They're not just a legendary organization lost to the annals of history, as I might have imagined: they're still around!"

This is not a terrible surprise to those who traveled with him, but he flashes his necklace, which contains the symbol of the Harpers, a harp on the moon, to them just in case. Trini, meanwhile, produces her holy symbol of Tymora, showing Theodoric: Tymora holds a harp against a moon, just like Leosin's symbol.

"I'm part of an organization, a crusade you might call it: the Order of the Gauntlet is a new organization born of Elturgard but spread across Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate, and soon, beyond. We believe that goodness must strive to influence the affairs of Toril, and if not through the gods, how else can it spread? No longer can we be passive: so the good faiths of Elturgard have teamed up to spread goodness for goodness' sake, in the name of our gods, like Torm, Tyr, Ilmater, Lathander, Chauntea, and the like. And of course, we're always looking to expand." He gives careful glances to Aralim, to Theodoric, and surprisingly to Wendy.

Leosin leans forward. "Cards on the table: how would you like to keep hunting the Cult of the Dragon, and find out what the Zhentarim is up to?"

Above, there is a slightly opened window to the outside: a magpie lands on the window sill, looking in.

Out of Character

Cards are now on the table.

At this point I'll be up front: they're going to offer you potential membership in the Order or in the Harpers. You lot have more than proven yourselves.

• An Arcana, History, or Nature check, DC 10, will reveal what the Harpers are, which I'll provide in the Discord chat: but in short they're a secret society dedicated to maintaining the balance of civilization and nature, stopping the spread of malevolence in all its forms, and keeping the corrupt from power. They're well known and historical, dating back to Myth Drannor's fall;
  • The Order of the Gauntlet requires a Religion check, DC 13, because it's new and much more obscure.

This essentially offers you resources, a network to build on, a chance to grow renown more quickly, etc. But these are not the only factions you'll be invited to join. It's worth noting the Order of the Gauntlet doesn't mind double membership, but the Harpers are a secret society: you'd have to keep things secret, except in select cases. Other organizations will vary, but your loyalty may be called upon to favor one over another.

There will be more chances to roleplay before we get to the meat of Chapter 4, which is why you lot rolled. Don't worry about everyone else posting unless you're waiting for a specific response from a specific person. As for me, I'll answer questions as they come up as the NPCs, but before I move on to a full offer of membership, I'm going to wait for everyone to post this time.

5rqfzpE.png

Wendy
Level 4 Goblin Urchin Druid (Circle of the Moon)

AC: 17 (Dex 2 + Leather 11 + Shield 2 + Dragon Helm 2) | HP: 32/32 | HD: 4/4d8 | Speed: 30 ft.

STR: 10 (+0) | DEX: 15 (+2) | CON: 14 (+2)
INT: 12 (+1) | WIS: 18 (+4) | CHA: 8 (–1)

Senses: darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 15, passive Investigation 11

More Traits, Features, and Abilities

Proficiencies

Languages. Common (from race), Goblin (from race), and Druidic (See “Class Features”)

Tools. disguise kit, herbalism kit, painter’s supplies

Armor. light armor, medium armor, shields (druids will not wear armor or use shields made of metal)

Weapons. clubs, daggers, darts, javelins, maces, quarterstaffs, scimitars, sickles, slings, spears

Racial Features

Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws you make to avoid or end the Charmed condition on yourself.

Fury of the Small. (1/1) Fury of the Small. When you damage a creature with an attack or a spell and the creature’s size is larger than yours, you can cause the attack or spell to deal extra damage to the creature. The extra damage equals your proficiency bonus.

You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, regaining all expended uses when you finish a long rest, and you can use it no more than once per turn.

Nimble Escape. You can take the Disengage or Hide action as a bonus action on each of your turns.

Background Feature

City Secrets. You know the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss. When you are not in combat, you (and companions you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.

Class Features

Druidic. You know Druidic, the secret language of druids. You can speak the language and use it to leave hidden messages. You and others who know this language automatically spot such a message. Others spot the message’s presence with a successful DC 15 Wisdom (Perception) check but can’t decipher it without magic.

Spellcasting. Wendy is a 4rd-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She can prepare up to 6 druid spells. She has the following druid spells prepared:

Cantrips (at will): control flames, primal pavagery, shape water, shillelagh
1st level (4/4 slots): cure wounds, entangle, good berry, healing word
2nd level (3/3 slots): enlarge/reduce, moonbeam

Cantrips

control flames, shape water, shillelagh

1st Level

absorb elements, animal friendship, beast bond, charm person, create or destroy water, cure wounds, detect magic, detect poison and disease, earth tremor, entangle, faerie fire, fog cloud, goodberry, healing word, ice knife, jump, longstrider, protection from evil and good, purify food and drink, snare, speak with animals, thunderwave

2nd Level

air bubble, animal messenger, augury, barkskin, beast sense, continual flame, darkvision, dust devil, earthbind, enhance ability, enlarge/reduce, find traps, flame blade, flaming sphere, gust of wind, healing spirit, heat metal, hold person, lesser restoration, locate animals or plants, locate object, moonbeam, pass without trace, protection from poison, skywrite, spike growth, summon beast, warding wind, wither and bloom

Druid Circle. At 2nd level, you choose to identify with a circle of druids from the list of available circles. Your choice grants you features at 2nd level and again at 6th, 10th, and 14th level.

Combat Wild Shape. You gain the ability to use Wild Shape on your turn as a bonus action, rather than as an action.

Circle Forms. The rites of your circle grant you the ability to transform into more dangerous animal forms. Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Wild Shape to transform into a beast with a challenge rating as high as 1 (you ignore the Max. CR column of the Beast Shapes table, but must abide by the other limitations there).

List of Beasts Wendy Can Turn into

Wild Companion. You gain the ability to summon a spirit that assumes an animal form: as an action, you can expend a use of your Wild Shape feature to cast the find familiar spell, without material components.

When you cast the spell in this way, the familiar is a fey instead of a beast, and the familiar disappears after a number of hours equal to half your druid level.

Wild Shape. Starting at 2nd level, you can use your action to magically assume the shape of a beast that you have seen before. You can use this feature twice. You regain expended uses when you finish a short or long rest.

Wild Shape Improvement. At 4th level, your Wild Shape improves as shown on the Beast Shapes table.

Actions
Quarterstaff (shillelagh). Melee Weapon Attack: +0 to hit (+6 to hit with shillelagh), reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage, 4 (1d8) bludgeoning damage if wielded with two hands, or 7 (1d8 + 4) magical bludgeoning damage with shillelagh.

Sling. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) bludgeoning damage.

Dagger. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.

Handaxe. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6 + 0) slashing damage.

Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) slashing damage.

Money

pp: 0 | gp: 71 | ep: 10 | sp: 18 | cp: 100 | 100 gp gemstone: 1

Inventory

Worn or At-Hand (an interact with object to retrieve)

1 set of Frulam Mondath’s purple robes (won from killing Frulam Mondath, 3 lb.)
1 set of leather armor (starting equipment, 10 lb.)
1 wooden shield (starting equipment, 6 lb.)
1 Black Dragon Helm (wooden shield) (looted off Tiamat Statue, 6 lb.)
1 druidic focus (wooden staff—starting equipment, 4 lb.)
7/7 daggers (small knife—starting equipment & confiscated from kobolds, 1 lb.)
1 handaxe (starting equipment, 2 lb.)
1 shortsword (—)
1 sling (given to her by Gov. Nighthill, —)
30/30 sling bullets (given to her by Gov. Nighthill, 33.6 oz. (1.2 oz, each)
1 backpack (starting equipment, 5 lb.)
1 belt pouch (starting equipment, 1 lb.)
1 fifty-foot, hempen rope (starting equipment, 10 lb.)
1 waterskin (starting equipment, 5 lb. (full))
1 hooded lantern (bought in Greenest, 2 lb.)
5 oil (flasks) (bought in Greenest, 1 lb., each), hanging on belt loops to fuel her hooded lantern or toss at enemies!

Stowed away in, or Strapped to Her Backpack (an action to retrieve)

6/10 days’ worth of rations (starting equipment, 20 lb.)
1 map of the city you grew up in (Waterdeep—from urchin background)
1 mess kit (starting equipment, 1 lb.)
1 tinderbox (starting equipment, 1 lb.)
1 token to remember your parents by (a book that tells the story of a legendary hero’s rise and fall, with the last chapter missing—starting equipment, 5 lb.)
10/10 torches (starting equipment, 9 lb.)
1 painter’s supplies (from starting 500 gp item, 5 lb.)
1 disguise kit (from starting 500 gp item , 3 lb.)
1 herbalism kit (purchased with 5 of the 10 starting gold, 3 lb.)
1 set of common clothes (starting equipment, 3 lb.)
1 painting by an artist long forgotten by everyone except a dragon

Party Wagon (pulled by Ruby)

Wendy and her friends!

6/10 days’ worth of feed (bought in Greenest, 10 lb., each)
1 pack saddle (bought in Greenest, 15 lb.)
1 bit and bridle (bought in Greenest, 10 lb., each)
1 saddlebags (bought in Greenest, 8 lb.)
1 two-person tent (bought in Greenest, 20 lb.)

1 bedroll (starting equipment, 7 lb.)

Sanders (Wendy’s Pet Mouse from Her Urchin Background)

eVuAZvu.png

Sanders

Tiny Beast, Lawful Good
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 1 (1d4 – 1)
Speed 20 ft.

Str 2 (–4) Dex 11 (+0) Con 9 (–1)
Int 2 (–4) Wis 10 (+0) Cha 4 (–3)

Senses darkvision 30 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages
Proficiency Bonus +2
Keen Smell. Sanders has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Actions

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +0 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 piercing damage.

Ruby (Wendy’s Draft Horse—Purchased in Greenest)

D5qG4Ge.png

Ruby (pulling the Party Wagon)

Large Beast, Lawful Good
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 19 (3d10 + 3)
Speed 40 ft.

Str 18 (+4) Dex 10 (+0) Con 12 (+1)
Int 2 (–4) Wis 11 (+0) Cha 7 (–2)

Senses passive Perception 10
Languages
Proficiency Bonus +2
Keen Smell. Sanders has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Actions

Hooves. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (2d4 + 4) bludgeoning damage.

At the announcement of the Arm Wrestling contest, Wendy pipes up and announces, “And for the winner, I’ll paint your portrait! It won’t even take that long!” To back up her offer as an actual prize, she sets out some of her other paintings to show off her skill and talent.

A hobgoblin woman covered in what looked like tribal tattoos, kept looking at Wendy again and again, but whether or not she recognized Wendy, Wendy certainly did not recognize her. Those tattoos, though, were certainly intriguing!

Wendy, being ever so typically Wendy didn’t waste time. “Hi there!” she said, holding her little green hand out to the hobgoblin woman. “I’m Wendy! I’m a druid from Waterdeep! I noticed you glancing at me—maybe you thought I was someone else? Maybe you know me ma ’n’ me da’? Or . . . maybe you know me as the genius painter Wendy! Did you want me to paint your portrait? Either way, I’m pleased to make your acquaintance. What’s your name?”

When the dwarven gramma—who introduced herself to Wendy as Elssaedrid Cavebraid—sat for her portrait, Wendy made sure to really capture the moment when Frume realized that his defeat wasn’t just inevitable, but ordained by the gods themselves. On the back, using a jar of golden paint, Wendy wrote, ‘Contratulations on your well-earned Victory, Ms. Elssaedrid Cavebraid!’ and of course signed her painting in the front.

Brushing on some sealant, she said to the elderly dwarf, “Give that at least 10 minutes before you handle it, but it’s yours to take home! Congratulations, again!”

With that, she let herself be led downstairs to the meeting.

When Leosin and Frume talk about the Harpers and the Order of the Gauntlet, it goes over Wendy’s head. She’d probably heard of the Harpers or maybe ‘Those who Harp’ at one point or another, but otherwise, she didn’t remember anything about them. The Order of the Gauntlet, ironically was just on the tip of her tongue, but again, she just couldn’t place them.

She could tell that she was being recruited . . . but . . .

“Um . . . I don’t think I’m so good at all the secrecy stuff, and I totally agree with Mr. Frume, here about ‘need to know’ . . . the truth will out, and when it does, it bites you in the bippy. Best just to let the sunshine be the best ditz-insec-tent, as Da’ always says.” she says. “But I don’t know how much Mr. Frume’s people would like me, either, though. I think I’ve disappointed Mr. Aralim, here, more than a few times with how . . .” she thinks on the words and chooses them carefully, “unrepentantly merciless I’ve been to those who have done great evil to innocents. I don’t consider myself evil, but who does? As I said, ‘the truth will out’, and I’d rather it not bite me in the bippy if I were to join your cause, Mr. Frume—I am interested, though. I tell you this all in the interest of pure trance-parent-see.”

Then she says, “Ah . . . and . . . to be honest, although they scare the hell out of me more often than not, I’ve actually wanted to join the Emerald Enclave—If I were given an opportunity to join them, would either the Harpers or the Order of the Guntlet have a problem with me also being in the Enclave? Hyperthedotically speaking, of course!”

OOC

Movement: —

Action(s): —

Bonus Action: —

Rection: —

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)
Name
DC 10 Nature Check to Know about the Harpers
1d20+1 7
DC 13 Religion Check to Know about the Order of the Gauntlet
1d20+1 11
DC ??? Nature Check to Know about the Hobgoblin and her Tattoos
1d20+1 13

DaniRosznar-fotor-bg-remover-20230825202249.png.6294998c35692bd5d40a73e0d27b5fa2.pngDaniella "Dani" Violette Claribel Rosznar II

Human Graviturgy Wizard (4)

checked-shield.svgAC: 12 | health-normal.svg HP: 22/22 | awareness.svg PP: 15 | WS: 0/2 | Spell Slots | Insp | Languages: Common, Chondothan, Elvish, Draconic, Infernal

Daniella turned back towards the Gnomish tender as she was brought her prize. She regarded the bottle of wine with a passing interest, reading quickly over its label and scoffing at the title and depiction of the Earthmother. "It will do." She said plainly with a raised eyebrow at his mention of his deity of choice: Garl. "Ah, yes. I know only a little of Garl. You may find it surprising that Gnomish religious studies were not an elective I chose while at the Academy. Alas, any pompous being that chooses wealth as a part of their domain is selecting the easy choice for garnering worship. Gold will always be god to most, as it provides sustenance far more often than any deity." She waited through the process of the wine's opening by idly tasting the goat cheese and the Gnome might even hear an exhalation of relief quietly released from her lips. Finally, A taste of the old life she longed for so dearly. A similar response comes from her tasting of the wine.

She had removed her gloves so that her fingers could delicately hold the stem of the glass between three fingers. She swirled the crimson liquid in its bowl a few times, admired the legs, inhaled its scent deeply through her nostrils, and finally sipped it ever-so-slightly. "Mmm. Yes, quite good. It pairs finely with the goat cheese. I daresay you've nearly solved a tenday's worth of bitter feelings and road rations in the span of just a few minutes." A compliment, well-earned by treating her the way she deserves, or at least the way she thinks she deserves. Any noble worth their weight in gold knew to care for those who provided good service, if only so they could sustain their lifestyle and continue being of service in the future. She plucked another gold dragon from her coin purse and placed it on the bar. "For you. Do stick around, I may be here for a short while and will seek this service in the future."

His mention of her status as Waterdhavian nobility did earn him a scowl that quickly faltered when he mentioned he would keep her secret. It was not as if she was trying overly hard to hide it, but having word spread about her was an unwelcome thing. His discretion was appreciated and further solidified her confidence in the tip she had provided him. The display of masculine frivolity amongst the arm wrestlers was hard not to notice, given the volume of the cheering onlookers. Daniella rolled her eyes at the scene, yet the defeat of the Dwarf by an old woman is enough to make her crack a smile. Perhaps it was the wine and service that made it a bit easier to take joy in such childishness, even if from afar. In response to the barkeep's statement Daniella shook her head, "If you think such a victory to be a wonder, keep your ears perked for my own coming legend and know that all of it is true. In time, dear Barkeep, you will know my name as it is spoken from the lips of every patron that enters your bar for the next century." She took another sip of wine, this one much heartier than the last, before finally stepping away from the bar without another word and taking her direct path to join back with the others for their meeting.

A feast was displayed and Daniella was more than willing to partake in being treated after such a long travel. She even partook in the wine offered after finishing her own bottle. Many nights within her Academy sorority had built a tolerance for wine in the woman that could only be matched by a Dwarf, although it was her understanding that they preferred Ale or spirits. She indulges in the food, yet maintains proper etiquette while scowling at others who didn't. Things are revealed, specifically about Leosin's connection to a secret organization that nearly had Daniella mentally kicking herself for not recognizing sooner. "Of course! A Harper. I should have guessed. A word of warning, Leosin: I had suspected you were not exactly honest about your connections, but I had initially took you for some sort of conman. Whether or not that is your intention, you may wish to spruce up your approach to potential allies in the future. I nearly counted you amongst the Cult as a spy of some sort. Turns out, you're a spy for a different sort of cult, aren't you?" She was humored by her own words and cracked a smile as she took another long sip from her wine.

The Lady listened to each of their descriptions of their goals an intentions, mostly aligned to their own, though through completely different means. Once her mind was made up she lifted the cloth napkin from her lap and folded it neatly to the side of her partially-cleared plate, an indication that she was done. Had this been a noble establishment, it would have been a sign that the waiter could take her meal without getting their hand slapped away and their family name destroyed in the annals of history. "So these are our options for allies? And -- what? -- you all will be doing the 'background' work while we do all of the actual work -- the dirty work if you will? If these are the choices, so be it. I, for one, take little interest in working with those driven by their religious idols and deities. Fanaticism often leads to capriciousness, which in turn, leads to poor tactical choices based on the incalculable variable of 'faith'. On the other hand, Those Who Harp are driven by a cult of personality and a need to 'do good', another arbitrary factor that could lead to unfavorable decisions. I've already surrounded myself with 'heroes' who feel the need to take on every plight of every peasant we pass on the road and it has worked out in my favor so far. I favor the Harpers in this regard, yet there is more to be revealed before a final decision is made. What sort of support are you offering, exactly? How far does our own decision making and authority extend regarding our goals? The way I see it, we have more than proven ourselves as competent. You need us, and so I tend to believe that should mean we make the decisions and you support us with tactical intelligence and resources. Of course, such support would need to be proven immediately for us to take such an offer."

OoC

Removing another gold from my sheet as a tip for the bartender.

Name
Arcana Check on Harpers
1d20+6 10

IC

spacer.pngRahnur Rhahlem

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2720234

NG Half-Drow Fighter (Champion) Lvl 4  AC 15 HP 34/34 Speed 30 ft. PP 14

Ability Scores, Saves, and Skills 

Str 8 (-1), Dex 18 (+4), Con 13 (+1), Int 12 (+1), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 14 (+2)
Strength Save: +1
Dexterity Save: +4; Acrobatics +6
Constitution Save: +3
Intelligence Save: +1
Wisdom Save: +2; Insight +4, Perception +4
Charisma Save: +2; Persuasion +4

Attack and Scores

2 Shortswords +6, 1d6+4; Longbow +8, 1d8+4, 150/300; Dagger +6, 1d4+4, 20/60

Class and Race Abilities

Darkvision: 60 ft.
Drow Magic (DC 12):
At will - Dancing LightsYou create up to four torch-sized lights within range, making them appear as torches, lanterns, or glowing orbs that hover in the air for the duration. You can also combine the four lights into one glowing vaguely humanoid form of Medium size. Whichever form you choose, each light sheds dim light in a 10-foot radius.

As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the lights up to 60 feet to a new spot within range. A light must be within 20 feet of another light created by this spell, and a light winks out if it exceeds the spell's range.

1/day - Faerie FireEach object in a 20-foot cube within range is outlined in blue, green, or violet light (your choice). Any creature in the area when the spell is cast is also outlined in light if it fails a Dexterity saving throw. For the duration, objects and affected creatures shed dim light in a 10-foot radius.

Any attack roll against an affected creature or object has advantage if the attacker can see it, and the affected creature or object can't benefit from being invisible.

Fey AncestryYou have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.

Fighting Style: Archery

Second Wind (Recharges After a Short or Long Rest)You have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.
: 1d10+3

Action SurgeStarting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional action.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again. Starting at 17th level, you can use it twice before a rest, but only once on the same turn.

“My words…” | ‘My thoughts…’| My Actions

Rahnur barely had time to register the news of what happened to Aria and that it was done by Mikhael. He recalled how the two seemed to get along back in Berdusk and how they even gave a bit of duet during their dinner. Rahnur could even remember how Mikhael told Aria that she deserved so much more and how badly the tiefling took it. The fact he was the one who killed her suddenly had his blood boiling.

He barely had time to register Ontharr's arm wrestling defeat or Daniella's less than tactful way of addressing her death. Rahnur only seemed to snap out of it when his hands suddenly slammed on the table, "He can burn in hell with the rest of them." he muttered more to himself before he took a deep breath to try and calm himself down, "I'm sorry." he said to the others before listening to the offers.

"I won't lie. I can't exactly make a decision if for the simple fact that I can't guarantee I will be staying with this group. I only came to this meeting simply to see what you had to say and ensure some within the group got here safely. I'm not the biggest fan of the cult, but my main reason for going after them is done, and I don't think either organization could benefit from a woodcarver from Baldur's Gate." he replied in a still clipped tone, apparently still recovering from the news from earlier.

OOC

Attack Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Edited by Amaryllis77 (see edit history)
Name
History for Harpers
1d20+1 12
Religion for Gauntlets
1d20+1 18

Theodoric.png.2eb4b4312fa820331118ff4b80ef39e9.pngTheodoric | Aasimar Paladin 4

AC: 19 (Splint & Shield) | HP: 36/36 | DR: 3 (Nonmagical B/P/S) | Initiative: -1 | Passive Perception: 11 | Class / Race Features | Prepared Spells

Healing Hands (2d4): 1/1 | Celestial Revelation: 1/1 | Divine Sense: 4/4 | Lay on Hands: 20/20 | Channel Divinity: 1/1 | Harness Divine Power: 1/1 | 1st Lvl Slots: 3/3

Theodoric nods in appreciation at Wendy's and Rahnur's responses to Mikhael's betrayal and Aria's murder, adding, "Vengeance will be had. The Hells is exactly what he and the rest of the Zhentarim deserve." Specifically to Rahnur after his apology, Theodoric states, "You have nothing to be sorry for. Hold onto that anger. Use it as a weapon against our foes. Show them why they should not cross us."

Lady Rosznar's less-than-tactful response leads to a small moment of quiet thought before Theodoric replies, "As cold as it seems - you are correct. The good in this world is akin to a candle's flame against the darkness of night. But even a candle has the capability of starting a wildfire."

The aasimar pays little attention to the arm wrestling competition, considering it little more than a frivolous distraction, though the unexpected victory of the old dwarven woman does draw his interest for a moment. Nor is he impressed by the considerable spread of food - as he has done in the past, he takes a chunk of bread, removes the bottom section of his mask, stuffs it into his mouth, washes it down with three large gulps of water, and slams the section of the mask back into place. Though it happens quickly, observant eyes can note that the skin around Theodoric's mouth remains charred to a crackled black.

In truth, Theodoric knows little of the Harpers, other than the fact that they are a secret organization meant to do good. But what is the use of doing good if it is not done openly? The Order of the Gauntlet, however, he is much more familiar with despite its relative recency of formation. A society of worshippers of the gods of good, seeking to make the world better - this, Theodoric can get behind. Nodding to Frume, Theodoric says, "It would be an honor to join the Order, Triad brother. In truth, I had been interested in joining its ranks since learning of it in the halls of Tyr's temple, but my duties as City Watch took much of my time. But with the rising darkness, light must rise in turn to burn it away."

Wendy's mention of her "unrepentant mercilessness" draws a dark chuckle from the masked man. "Evil deserves no mercy. They made their choice - they are only receiving the consequences."

Edited by PhoenixSlayer (see edit history)
Name
History for Harpers
1d20 4
Religion for Order of the Gauntlet
1d20+2 20

During the tournament, Wendy offers up a portrait of the winner, which many in the crowd think of as a farce: a goblin artist? Who needs stone carvings with crude marks and paint at best as the ochre? While the arm wrestling contest goes on, Wendy sees the hobgoblin staring at her and assesses the tattoos: she doesn't recognize them, at all, but she does note one thing: they are certainly not of goblin make or origin, or at least, aren't in the goblin language regardless of what script it uses. It appears to be more pictographs than anything, glyphs of some intention and power. Once defeated, Wendy approaches her and introduces herself. The hobgoblin woman observes her, grins a toothy grin, then chuckles.spacer.png

"Nah, you're who I was lookin' for. We never met: I don't know your folks, they wouldn't know mine. Name's Jellyn. Friends call me Lyn. What're you?" She doesn't wait for an answer before leaving, seemingly uninterested in a portrait.

As Wendy begins her portrait, Dani meanwhile has harsh words for the god of the gnomes, the barkeep can only laugh. "If it were merely gold we prefer, as Garl's name might suggest, we would be nothing more than furry neon WaukeenGoddess of commerce, freedom, and coin worshipers of no great stature; no, it is cleverness, craft, and wit we prefer, not coin. But as Gnomish religion was not an elective you took, you're to be forgiven." He winks to her, and as she savors a taste of even a small thing approaching civilization, he serves other customers for a moment but is happy to come back when she has sampled the cheese and the wine in equal measure. "I'm glad to hear it, m'lady: we always aim to serve." Then comes her bold declaration: that she will be a legend in her own time, and everything is true. "Well, that might mean something, if I had even an inkling as to your name, dear lady. As a trade, nothing they say of Freemantle Gembuckler is true: but don't tell them I said that. I have to maintain the legend, in my way." He winks, and Freemantle Gembuckler, eldest of the three barkeep brothers, lets her go on to her meeting with the rest.

While not everyone answers immediately, there are some clear answers, as well as questions and banter besides. Leosin scoffs at the suggestion he was a con man or a Cult member. "Well, at least I fooled you: the Cult figured me out real quick, though not that I was a Harper. As for a con artist... well, I'm not exactly far from that, exactly. But then, I'm just a sheltered little Avowed: that, at least is true." Trini rolls her eyes, shaking her head, then responds to Rahnur's reticence to join. "Well, look at me: just a humble town priestess. The Harpers'll always need a network, and that relies on people who are stationary and reliable. If you'd be interested in that, Baldur's Gate could always use a new ally or even a safe house, if you'd be willing." At Wendy's question, Leosin, Trini, and Ontharr look to one another, thinking. "Well, we don't know much about the Emerald Enclave. They're new to the Sword Coast and keep their own company," says Ontharr, thinking, while Leosin offers a philosophical answer: "We have a lot in common. The Harpers began with a love of preserving nature in mind, though often that gets forgotten with the 'greater good' focus. But as far as I know, the Enclave is fierce about loyalty: they've been known to execute traitors. They'd probably demand your sole loyalty, if you were to join them. So there's common ground to be had. But many in Harper leadership demand sole loyalty to the order, even if you were to join some other faction as a spy or double agent; I've met my fair share in the Lords' Alliance." Ontharr considers that, but does not reveal what he considers exactly: he's happy to move on, placing a hand on Theodoric's shoulder. "The light will always force the shadow back: that's what we do, brother. Welcome aboard. We'll initiate you tomorrow during the Celebration of the Companion, if you like."

And then, as always, Dani's prickles come out.

Ontharr regards her carefully, somewhat scornfully, but respectfully. "There are no idle hands in the Gauntlets. We all have our parts to play, and believe me, before this is over, I will wet my blade in the Dragon's blood." He is sincere on that front, but Trini speaks before Leosin can. "Harpers have a lot to offer, and plenty of freedom 'sides: you have a handler, and you act within the freedom they give you. Chances are, Leosin or I would be your handler, though I'm not high enough rank. Not sure Leosin does either: but freedom is one of the most 'portant things about bein' a Harper. Sometimes fightin' for the greater good requires you to go rogue to do the right thing, doing things that might make you question what 'good' is." Leosin doesn't nod to that, but regards Dani carefully. For Dani's part, everything she's heard about the Harpers confirms that: there are plenty of daring tales in the chapbooks of Harpers, but there are also documented cases of Harpers going rogue to defeat some greater evil, particularly in the last century or so. There were rumors, right before she left Waterdeep, of a Harper cell in Waterdeep discovering a concentration camp of Chosen—divine representatives chosen by the gods—run by Returned Netheril and a rather gross Waterdhavian noble Dani had the misfortune of having met, lecherous prick that he was even when she was a girl. How true those tales were, who can say?

"You'd have your mission, and resources: you'd be able to rely on our larger network, and you wouldn't be required to do good at every turn. Chances are, that would give you away, though I wouldn't put it past, say, Aralim, to do that. No one is asking you to compromise who you are, just that you consider something larger than yourself. You've mentioned in the past you serve the Lords' Alliance: is that really where your loyalties lie? Because I don't know that I buy that, Lady Rosznar. You, loyal to someone for the sake of their blood or their dedication to 'laws' you find repugnant or stifling?"

Trini also reveals another benefit: "You also get a code name, and your group would get a code name. I'm the Parish Priest; Leosin's the Bookwyrm. See, it's funny, 'cuz it's a pun—" Leosin rolls his eyes.

UESMFwv.pngAralim Empyrean (Human Cleric 1 / Sorcerer 3)

AC: 19 |  HP: 28/28 |  Passive Perception: 13 | Features | Conditions: 

Spells: ○ ○ ○ ○ (1st) | ○ ○ ○ (2nd) | Sorcery: ○ ○ ○ (normal) | ○ ○ (metamagic)

It all really was a lot to take in. Aralim's head spun with the possibilities... though maybe the first taste of wine he'd had in weeks didn't help. The arm-wrestling was one thing, he didn't need to get involved in all of that.  But the conversation was at a level he hadn't heard in ages. People throughout the tavern were debating ideas, philosophies... well, yes, and the talk was of a baser sort that one might expect in taverns, but still.

The Heroes of Greenest's newer associates fascinated him. Especially Theodoric; Aralim suspected he might be able to learn a lot from the paladin. And he was from Waterdeep as well; it was nice to have a taste of home on the road.

Dani was being Dani... for that matter, Wendy was being Wendy. A portrait of the winner, just dashed off as if it were nothing. And with such skill.  The young priest of Lathander resolved to nurture and encourage the goblin's talent as much as he could; the Lord of the Dawn loved creativity in all forms. And of course, Rahnur was so taciturn; he mentioned he needed to leave. I understand his desire, and I'll support it if it's what he truly wants. But I think we may need his strong arm in the days and weeks to come.

And so the conversation turned to affiliations. The Harpers. The Harpers.  An opportunity to join, this organization that had done so much good for centuries.  The possibilities stretched out before him, and the young priest nodded firmly to himself. But it may require a deft touch, for there was another intriguing offer.

The Order of the Gauntlet seemed also very well suited to the young priest's tastes. An alliance of gods and their holy orders on Faerun? If Ontharr Frume was any example, this also seemed a fine path to tread. Aralim was drawn to the dwarven cavalier, his ready smile and unmistakable commitment to good. Theodoric and Wendy both had a point; sunshine was an especially effective disinfectant.

So, what to do? The Order seemed the easy choice, the path of the Harp was dark and difficult from what he'd heard. But what if...?

He spoke up, for the first time in a long while. "Aye, I think the Order is a fine idea. Wendy and I have worked together well, showing Chauntea and Lathander can find common ground. I suspect the Order is just as ecumenical, and perhaps more mature. So I say we throw our lot in."

He made sure to find some time later in the evening to take Leosin aside. In low tones, he murmured, "I think we also have some interest in the blue pin, among my friends. Perhaps we can be more subtle in our approach? I've long held an ambition to pick up the Harp, I can pledge today should you wish it. But my friends might be more recent in their allegiance. Let me guide them?"

What if we can do both?

Mechanics

Action:

Bonus Action:

Move:

Other:

5rqfzpE.png

Wendy

AC: 17 (Dex 2 + Leather 11 + Shield 2 + Dragon Helm 2) | HP: 32/32 | HD: 4/4d8 | Speed: 30 ft.

Proficiencies

Languages. Common (from race), Goblin (from race), and Druidic (See “Class Features”)

Armor. light armor, medium armor, shields (druids will not wear armor or use shields made of metal)

Weapons. clubs, daggers, darts, javelins, maces, quarterstaffs, scimitars, sickles, slings, spears

Racial Features

Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws you make to avoid or end the Charmed condition on yourself.

Fury of the Small. (1/1) Fury of the Small. When you damage a creature with an attack or a spell and the creature’s size is larger than yours, you can cause the attack or spell to deal extra damage to the creature. The extra damage equals your proficiency bonus.

You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, regaining all expended uses when you finish a long rest, and you can use it no more than once per turn.

Nimble Escape. You can take the Disengage or Hide action as a bonus action on each of your turns.

Background Feature

City Secrets. You know the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss. When you are not in combat, you (and companions you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.

Class Features

Druidic. You know Druidic, the secret language of druids. You can speak the language and use it to leave hidden messages. You and others who know this language automatically spot such a message. Others spot the message’s presence with a successful DC 15 Wisdom (Perception) check but can’t decipher it without magic.

Spellcasting. Wendy is a 4rd-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She can prepare up to 6 druid spells. She has the following druid spells prepared:

Cantrips

1st Level

absorb elements, animal friendship, beast bond, charm person, create or destroy water, cure wounds, detect magic, detect poison and disease, earth tremor, entangle, faerie fire, fog cloud, goodberry, healing word, ice knife, jump, longstrider, protection from evil and good, purify food and drink, snare, speak with animals, thunderwave

2nd Level

air bubble, animal messenger, augury, barkskin, beast sense, continual flame, darkvision, dust devil, earthbind, enhance ability, enlarge/reduce, find traps, flame blade, flaming sphere, gust of wind, healing spirit, heat metal, hold person, lesser restoration, locate animals or plants, locate object, moonbeam, pass without trace, protection from poison, skywrite, spike growth, summon beast, warding wind, wither and bloom

Druid Circle. At 2nd level, you choose to identify with a circle of druids from the list of available circles. Your choice grants you features at 2nd level and again at 6th, 10th, and 14th level.

Combat Wild Shape. You gain the ability to use Wild Shape on your turn as a bonus action, rather than as an action.

Circle Forms. The rites of your circle grant you the ability to transform into more dangerous animal forms. Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Wild Shape to transform into a beast with a challenge rating as high as 1 (you ignore the Max. CR column of the Beast Shapes table, but must abide by the other limitations there).

Wild Companion. You gain the ability to summon a spirit that assumes an animal form: as an action, you can expend a use of your Wild Shape feature to cast the find familiar spell, without material components.

When you cast the spell in this way, the familiar is a fey instead of a beast, and the familiar disappears after a number of hours equal to half your druid level.

Wild Shape. Starting at 2nd level, you can use your action to magically assume the shape of a beast that you have seen before. You can use this feature twice. You regain expended uses when you finish a short or long rest.

Wild Shape Improvement. At 4th level, your Wild Shape improves as shown on the Beast Shapes table.

Actions
Quarterstaff (shillelagh). Melee Weapon Attack: +0 to hit (+6 to hit with shillelagh), reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage, 4 (1d8) bludgeoning damage if wielded with two hands, or 7 (1d8 + 4) magical bludgeoning damage with shillelagh.

Sling. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) bludgeoning damage.

Dagger. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.

Handaxe. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6 + 0) slashing damage.

Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) slashing damage.

Money

Inventory

1 shortsword (—)
5 oil (flasks) (bought in Greenest, 1 lb., each), hanging on belt loops to fuel her hooded lantern or toss at enemies!

1 token to remember your parents by (a book that tells the story of a legendary hero’s rise and fall, with the last chapter missing—starting equipment, 5 lb.)

Wendy and her friends!

eVuAZvu.png

Sanders

Tiny Beast, Lawful Good
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 1 (1d4 – 1)
Speed 20 ft.

Languages
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +0 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 piercing damage.

D5qG4Ge.png

Large Beast, Lawful Good
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 19 (3d10 + 3)
Speed 40 ft.

Languages
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Hooves. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (2d4 + 4) bludgeoning damage.

6 hours ago, Gregorotto said:

“Nah, you’re who I was lookin’ for. We never met: I don’t know your folks, they wouldn’t know mine. Name’s Jellyn. Friends call me Lyn. What’re you?” She doesn’t wait for an answer before leaving, seemingly uninterested in a portrait.

“Jellyn . . . Lyn,” Wendy begins, “It’s nice to . . . hey! Where’re you goin’?” As the hobgoblin woman disappears into the crowd. “Well . . . that was rude—WEIRD!—but Rude!”

Wendy is crestfallen at learning that the Emerald Enclave would demand such exclusive loyalty. “I just figured that it’d be nice join them and not to have to run away from them from time to time, like I’ve had to do on my way down from Waterdeep.” Leosin makes his case and Wendy acquiesces.

“I guess being a harper would be the better choice for me, then,” she says. “Do I have to learn how to play the harp? Because, to be honest, I’ve always much preferred the hurdy gurdy. I’d be thrilled to learn how to play that!”

At the mention of code names, she brightens. “Now that does sound exciting! Ooh! Ooh! I’d be . . . I’d be ‘Malachite’! Malachite is what we grind up to get the green powder to make green paint, and I’m green, too! Malachite the Hurdy Gurdy Harper!”

OOC

As Aralim has much to think about, the conversation carries on. At Wendy's suggestion that she ran, Leosin's face falls. "You... ran from them? What do you mean? Like they hunted you?" Trini looks similarly concerned, though Ontharr nods along. "Makes sense. They're zealots, more than even we are. Probably took you for an average goblin, even if they knew you were from Waterdeep: away from the influence of that tyrant god of goblin-kin, and his vile influence." He at least knows how goblins are, and how it's tied to the culture of raising. As to the question of what instrument, if any, must be played, Trini scoffs. "Sister, I'm 'bout as good with a harp as I am at dancin', and let me tell ya, I ain't no dancer." Leosin nods. "It's a metaphoric name, symbolic of Myth Drannor's—"spacer.png

Ontharr and Trini sigh and say at the same time: "Can the lecture, Bookwyrm." The half-elf grins. "I like Malachite. It suits you." Trini nods. "But not the Hurdy-Gurdy. Damn things sound like a cat in heat."

And then, Aralim has his answer: why not both? Letting him get both of his comments out, Leosin and Ontharr look to one another, Trini crossing her arms. Ontharr sighs. "You could... but ultimately, your loyalty would be divided. What if the Harpers ask you to break your oath to the Order of the Gauntlet? What if our orders are contradictory? You'd have to pick a side." Leosin nods. "You can trust Ontharr with your secret allegiance to both, and Trini and I as well. If anything it may be a benefit to the Harpers for you to have an open membership to the Order but a secret membership in the Harpers. Most Harpers wouldn't mind, either: but I can't imagine the same can be said of the Gauntlet." Ontharr sighs again, nodding. "Harp or Gauntlet, it's yours to decide in your heart of hearts which one you'd rather be."

Ontharr produces a pin, as does Leosin, showing everyone. "All members of the Order of the Gauntlet wear this pin, to show their membership, though as you can see, I took a bolder choice and wear mine on my plate armor." Leosin nods. "Harpers are more subtle, but we all have our membership badges. If you want just the Harper pin, you can have it when you take your oath tonight, but if you want, I can send a message in to your next step, which is why we're combining forces. Ontharr, do you want to take the reins on this one?"spacer.png

As it happens, he does. Ontharr Frume takes his seat and invites everyone to do the same, having plenty to explain.

"We've received intel about the activities of the Cult of the Dragon in this section of the Sword Coast, and beyond: they're active from the Icewind Dale on down to Calimshan, Waterdeep to Phlan. But you happened upon something peculiar: a papertrail, so to speak. Leosin told his superiors and informed me, and we devised a plan: what if we could track this Rezmir? What if we could find more about why the Cult needs so much treasure? What's this hoard and where is it going?

"While you were on the road from Greenest, I had my best men in Baldur's Gate on the lookout, and rumors came in this morning: sightings of a dragonborn, but something worse than a dragonborn. Longer neck, beadier eyes. From the description Leosin gave me of Rezmir, that has to be him. He's in Baldur's Gate, and he was asking around the caravan groups of Blackgate. The goods he took from Greenest? He's taking somewhere else. Somewhere north. It will take time to get a caravan together, but they'll want to do it quietly, without people noticing. Chances are, Rezmir won't even be with the caravan: but we need you to get in that caravan and join it, heading north.

"Your task will be this: tomorrow, we'll book passage for you along the Chionthar to Baldur's Gate, where you'll have a few days to get work as a caravan guard for this caravan. It will take roughly three months to get from Baldur's Gate to Waterdeep, and your job will be, for the entirety, to blend in and not be recognizable. Chances are, none of the Cult of the Dragon members who were at Greenest will even be there, these will be other associates. You'll blend right in. The Harpers can tell you more in the Gate, I'd imagine." Leosin nods, and takes over.

"Our people have already got a manifest of the various merchants who have joined in and are analyzing the contents enough to narrow down who is and isn't a member of the Cult, so you won't need to do that. Your job will be to watch them, see what they're up to, and make sure we know where their hoard is going. We can't afford to lose this valuable of a trail, and chances are, you'll be able to catch up to Rezmir in the end: I know how hungry some of you are for vengeance."

It is Trini that chimes in, looking at Theodoric, then the others. "What do y'all say? Up for your first mission?"

Out of Character

And now we come to it: the plot of Chapter 4! Chapter 4 will be the book's Chapter 4 and Chapter 5, and we'll level up accordingly over time. Will we be roleplaying all 60 days of the caravan? Of course not! But now I can reveal the rolls you did in the Discord chat were encounters for the trip: and what lovely encounters they are!

• If you're joining the Harpers, I need a few things from you:
    • I need a Harper codename.
    • I need to know what you want your Harper pin/object to look like.
    • I need to know what your Harper group name will be, which can be decided collectively with everyone even if they're not a Harper.
  • If you're joining the Order of the Gauntlet, we'll roleplay your induction ceremony before you get on the boat. You don't get a cool nickname, but if you want more than just the cool pin I posted above, feel free to let me know.
  • If you're doing both, we're breaking the rules of the adventure, because I think they're silly: this leads to much more fun morally gray areas, so why not indulge?

Elturel is pure roleplay from here on out: we'll roleplay the rest of tonight and tomorrow I'll let you all indulge in the Festival of the Companion before I send you out on the river. Everyone cool? React, discuss, and let's get going.

DaniRosznar-fotor-bg-remover-20230825202249.png.6294998c35692bd5d40a73e0d27b5fa2.pngDaniella "Dani" Violette Claribel Rosznar II

Human Graviturgy Wizard (4)

checked-shield.svgAC: 12 | health-normal.svg HP: 22/22 | awareness.svg PP: 15 | WS: 0/2 | Spell Slots | Insp | Languages: Common, Chondothan, Elvish, Draconic, Infernal

Daniella blinked slowly, unamused, at the scornful response offered by Ontharr. Her eyes then lazily shifted towards Leosin as he explained the ideals of the Harpers and the freedom granted under their hidden banner. Those drooping lids only widened at the suggestion that her allegiance to the Lord’s Alliance was less than truthful. She paused a long moment before responding as she measured the best approach. Deceit and trickery were useful tools, but honesty could be just as handy when used properly. “An astute observation. I lied about my relation to the Lord’s Alliance so that I might be seen as a more favorable choice of ally when first applying for the job of caravan guard. Any old fool can attest to their own skill, but only a complete imbecile would believe them without proof. I needed a leg up on the competition and I refused to use my namesake to gain such an advantage — not anymore. Alas, I’ve proven myself now and the lie has become useless to me, so relish your small victory.”

The crimson-garbed wizard paused long enough to take an extensive drink from her wine glass. The red stain it left behind blended in smoothly with the paint that colored her lips. “After measuring the two options I have made my decision. I have never once stood behind a symbol as a safeguard — except, perhaps, for my family’s crest. I’d much prefer the symbol to stand behind me, bolstering the actions I choose to take in service to my goals.” Dani paused again, meeting the gaze of the three that sought their answer. “I enjoy my freedom. The Harpers are the logical choice, given the limited options. If we must have a code name — such a silly rule — then mine shall be…” She went silent for a moment as she considered the wine in her glass while she swirled it within the bowl with soft movements. “..Carménère. Appropriate, I think. If I am to have one of these objects to identify myself amongst your organization, might I suggest it be an item I use often? A pen -- yes, like the sort for writing. It should be red in color, with your harp symbol as a holding clip and the moon inlaid in an onyx gemstone near its tip.”

Daniella continued to indulge in the offered food and wine as they explained the mission that laid ahead of them. Only when her home of Waterdeep was mentioned did she perk up once more. It seemed that fate had deigned that she return to her home so soon after her escape. To think that she could return to Waterdeep without seeing her family was wishful thinking — a fantasy. Daniella was not the sort to indulge in fantasies, no matter how much she may have wanted them to become reality. She would see her family again. When that moment came, she would need to be ready. There were so many variables to consider. That would require some statistical calculations, and some heartfelt journaling. The last thing she needed was a distracted mind. Even as practical as she was, she knew the importance of facing her insecurities and emotional vulnerabilities, lest they cause her to function at a sub-optimal level of efficiency and aptitude.

”Our first ‘mission’ is to once more pose as these wretched Dragon whelps? Imagine my surprise; all of you ‘defenders of the innocent’ seem to have a singular tactic that you rely on, time and time again. It seems the Order of the Gauntlet, the Harpers, and my current group of Caravan-guards-cum-heroes were all made for each other. Thankfully for you, we have experience with this tactic. If this is the path that leads to the first chapter of my legend ending with Rezmir’s scaled head on a platter…so be it.” With that, Daniella nodded and reached to pour herself more wine, seemingly settled on an affirmative answer. Yes. She was ready for her mission. But was she ready for where it might lead her?

OoC

Harpers for me!

As for team names, I suggest Scale's Folly, or some sort of wordplay on 'tipping the scales' perhaps. I'm open to other suggestions though!

Edited by Spektor (see edit history)

5rqfzpE.png

Wendy

Proficiencies

Racial Features

Background Feature

Class Features

Cantrips

1st Level

2nd Level

Actions

Money

Inventory

1 shortsword (—)

Wendy and her friends!

eVuAZvu.png

Sanders

Tiny Beast, Lawful Good
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 1 (1d4 – 1)
Speed 20 ft.

Languages
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

D5qG4Ge.png

Large Beast, Lawful Good
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 19 (3d10 + 3)
Speed 40 ft.

Languages
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

IC

As Aralim has much to think about, the conversation carries on. At Wendy's suggestion that she ran, Leosin's face falls. "You... ran from them? What do you mean? Like they hunted you?" Trini looks similarly concerned, though Ontharr nods along. "Makes sense. They're zealots, more than even we are. Probably took you for an average goblin, even if they knew you were from Waterdeep: away from the influence of that tyrant god of goblin-kin, and his vile influence."

“Mr. Frume’s got it in one!” Wendy said. “The Emerald Enclave doesn’t like goblins messing up the balance in the forests, and goblins have a well-deserved reputation. I hardly blame them for not walking up to me all friendly-like and asking, ‘By the way, miss, you wouldn’t happen to be one of the few good goblins there are, would you? Oh, you are? Well, nice to meet you! Put’er there!’. No, they just see me and start shooting arrows. Doesn’t matter that I’ve been leaving druidic messages in every forest, wood, and grove that I’m ‘Wendy the goblin druid; please don’t kill me!’.”

Ontharr and Trini sigh and say at the same time: "Can the lecture, Bookwyrm." The half-elf grins. "I like Malachite. It suits you." Trini nods. "But not the Hurdy-Gurdy. Damn things sound like a cat in heat."

“Hey!” Wendy yalps! “I resemble that remark! I’ll have you know that amongst the poor, they’re a cheap and easy-to-learn instrument that good for basically being a one-man-band for our revelries.”

Wendy listens to their briefing and their mission.

“Fake caravan guards?” she asks, “Well, the whole reason we got into this mess was by being real caravan guards!”

She then takes a shred of paper out of her notebook and draws a diagram on it with some dimensions. It’s surprisingly . . . technical . . . if one weren’t expecting it from an artist. “Here’re the dimensions and roundness of my staff. I’d like a high-quality malachite inlay cut to this roundness. I’ll carve out the relief from my staff and glue it in. If they don’t get it right, it won’t sit properly flush.” Then she added, “And I do mean high quality. I’m not being vain here. Low-quality malachite is sensitive to sunlight and acid—it’s actually a really common problem when artists like me buy green pigment. Some dealer gets cheap, and two months down the line, I’ve got a noble putting a hit out on me because the beautiful, lush green couch cushions in their painting are now disgusting orange or bleached white.” She hands Leosin the scrap of paper with the dimensions. “I’ll just paint it on my staff in the interim.”

“As for a group name? How about Sneed’s Feed ’n’ Seed—Formerly Chucks’s? Just get us a few bags of bird seed and we can pretend to be caravaners ourselves!—You know, because we formerly had a ‘Chuck’ in the party! What? No?! How about Chucking Aurix? Okay, fine! How about The Dawnbringers?”

OOC

Interact-with-Object: —

IC

spacer.pngRahnur Rhahlem

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2720234

NG Half-Drow Fighter (Champion) Lvl 4  AC 15 HP 34/34 Speed 30 ft. PP 14

Ability Scores, Saves, and Skills 

Str 8 (-1), Dex 18 (+4), Con 13 (+1), Int 12 (+1), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 14 (+2)
Strength Save: +1
Dexterity Save: +4; Acrobatics +6
Constitution Save: +3
Intelligence Save: +1
Wisdom Save: +2; Insight +4, Perception +4
Charisma Save: +2; Persuasion +4

Attack and Scores

2 Shortswords +6, 1d6+4; Longbow +8, 1d8+4, 150/300; Dagger +6, 1d4+4, 20/60

Class and Race Abilities

Darkvision: 60 ft.
Drow Magic (DC 12):
At will - Dancing LightsYou create up to four torch-sized lights within range, making them appear as torches, lanterns, or glowing orbs that hover in the air for the duration. You can also combine the four lights into one glowing vaguely humanoid form of Medium size. Whichever form you choose, each light sheds dim light in a 10-foot radius.

As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the lights up to 60 feet to a new spot within range. A light must be within 20 feet of another light created by this spell, and a light winks out if it exceeds the spell's range.

1/day - Faerie FireEach object in a 20-foot cube within range is outlined in blue, green, or violet light (your choice). Any creature in the area when the spell is cast is also outlined in light if it fails a Dexterity saving throw. For the duration, objects and affected creatures shed dim light in a 10-foot radius.

Any attack roll against an affected creature or object has advantage if the attacker can see it, and the affected creature or object can't benefit from being invisible.

Fey AncestryYou have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.

Fighting Style: Archery

Second Wind (Recharges After a Short or Long Rest)You have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.
: 1d10+3

Action SurgeStarting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional action.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again. Starting at 17th level, you can use it twice before a rest, but only once on the same turn.

“My words…” | ‘My thoughts…’| My Actions

Rahnur still didn't look sure about the decision. Why would he be interested when he was simply someone who wanted to go home and live his life. As said, he wasn't even sure if he wanted to continue on this mission in the first place. But the idea that the Cult was in Baldur's Gate..."No, wait, they said the plan was for them to move along to Waterdeep. They don't know about Loren or AnneMother, and they both know how to handle themselves." he quickly banished the thought as he shook his head before staring at people before him. He admitted to himself that he was not so sure about joining either. Adventuring was never his first choice. He didn't like the Cult, but his business with them was all but done. He couldn't stay away from his shop and his family for long. Nine Hells, Rahnur was half sure his family was still worried about him despite the last letter he sent. How long was he to stay with them until either organization demanded him to leave for weeks at a time again for their own personal gain. Both groups sounded important and simply preferred to try and do the right thing, but they were clearly for people who were willing to deal with the sacrifices Rahnur wasn't sure he could. And yet...

"I will lay this out simply. I prefer to simply go home, and continue with my life. That includes supporting my wife and mother, taking care of my workshop, and worrying about my guild fees. Anyone who has been to Baldur's Gate lower city knows it's not the safest place, especially for business owners such as myself. The Guild has definitely been haunting us ever since I was a child. Even if I did just offer to be a safe house, I would still be expected to put my family's safety in danger. If either of you wish to have me, I only ask can you guarantee my mother and wife will be protected and taken care of once you cart me off for whatever you need."

OOC

Attack Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

UESMFwv.pngAralim Empyrean (Human Cleric 1 / Sorcerer 3)

AC: 19 |  HP: 28/28 |  Passive Perception: 13 | Features | Conditions: 

Spells: ○ ○ ○ ○ (1st) | ○ ○ ○ (2nd) | Sorcery: ○ ○ ○ (normal) | ○ ○ (metamagic)

Aralim watched the ebb and flow of the conversation around them. He didn't realize it, but he was starting to pick up and integrate all the different lessons his mother and mentor had been teaching him through the years. The pieces began to click into place, like a Gondian wonder-puzzle.

Click.  Of course Dani liked the secrecy and relative independence of the Harper methodology. Complete the mission, however you see fit. Click. Wendy's innate goodness would thrive in the lower-key settings of Harper machinations. The Harpers liked to move behind the scenes, but they always had their eyes on the greater good, the big picture. A goblin inducted into their ranks could offer unique opportunities. Click.  Rahnur: Aralim wasn't sure if the half-drow would stay with them or not. But he knew almost before the champion said it that there would be some kind of bargain for his family's safety. If we don't stop this threat, there's nowhere that would be safe.  He clapped an arm on the half-elf's shoulder. Click. And of course, there's only one choice for me if I had to choose one.

He nods to Leosin. "I would join those who harp as well. If Wendy will be Malachite, and Lady Daniella Carménère, then my codename should be Rose Gold."  At this, Matinal slips out of the young cleric's sleeve and begins to whir around his wrist. "It's neither yellow nor pink, but it is its own thing. I think I am the same, occupying liminal spaces between."  He nods, firmly. "It fits."

And at Wendy's suggestion of a group name, Aralim's cheeks betray another reason why his codename fits.

Mechanics

Action:

Bonus Action:

Move:

Other:

Leosin, Trini, and Ontharr all accept Daniella's explanation for faking her allegiance, the half-elf of the trio grinning at his deduction. Then comes the fussing, and Ontharr rolls his eyes, leaning to Theodoric. "Harpers. Absolutely the worst about pomp and circumstance and all these secrets."

When the orders come down as to what they want their symbols to be, Leosin gets out a quill and ink pot and begins writing things down, making sure to note the colors on the pen, the quality of malachite, the setting of the harp and moon on the objects. As they continue to talk and discuss group names, Ontharr has a correction.

"Let's get one thing straight: you're not pretending to be dragon cultists. They've infiltrated an otherwise perfectly normal caravan, and your job is to infiltrate it too, making sure they don't detect you, and watching them as they travel the Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate to Daggerford, Daggerford to Waterdeep, and then where ever they go from there. Subtlety is key. Be yourselves, unless that's too obvious. We can't guarantee people from Greenest's raid won't be there, but the caravan will have just under a hundred or so people: you should blend in well enough for two months."

At the end of it all, Leosin hands the list of code names and Harper objects to Trini, saying, "Do you have a sending kit handy?" She nods, pulling out a pack with a scroll and some components within, and begins casting the ritual to send the spell long distances, ahead of them to Baldur's Gate. In the meantime, the Harper Avowed grins. "Glad to have you all, and while I would normally be the one to initiate you, the Harpers in Baldur's Gate will be the one to do so, I think. Your Harper insignia will be waiting for you there. Now, shall we get to enjoying ourselves? I believe you, Wendy, owe some paintings out there in the wild world."

He's not wrong: the party calls them back and soon, they disappear into the joyous night. Never let it be said religion stops people from knowing how to party. Before he lets Rahnur go, Leosin stops the half-drow. "Whatever happens, I'm glad to have met you. I hope we can convince you beforehand, but I understand, this has been more than enough. You have a life to get back to."

15 Kythorn, Year of the Warrior Princess, 1489 DR
Elturel, Elturgard,
Western Heartlands, the Sword Coast
spacer.png

The light of the Companion above never dims, but when morning comes, the brightness is disarming.

Where ever the group ended up the night before, when they awake, Elturel is buzzing, quietly though it may be. The trio of gnomish brothers man the downstairs of A Pair of Black Antlers, breakfast that morning a combination of roasted beans, tomatoes, cured ham cutlets seared; fried eggs ready to burst on toast with a melted white Scornubel cheese, grapefruit juice and fresh oatmeal with blueberries within: whatever a person could want, and surprisingly well-done, with honey making most things sweet. Milk, juice, water, and ale are all available upon request, but it is outside that buzzes: for it is the Festival of the Companion today!

The crowds push in one direction, north to the staging grounds of the Great Bazaar of Elturel, where shops and vendors aplenty have taken over the small park and made it into a labyrinth of shops, curios, and all manner of oddities, selling wares and services, holding contests and championships aplenty. As morning wears out, it becomes clear this festival is the reason most people are here: thousands of people join in the fanfare.

Voices cry out, giving an idea of what's going on here.

"Taste the bounty of the Earthmother! Honeyed apples! Fried corn on a stick! Tymantheran sugared figs!"

"Prove your worth, join the archery contest! Still spots open, grand prize is three hundred dragons and the blessings of Selûne!"

"Step right up, mages and mistresses of magic! Who can produce the finest spellwork to dazzle and delight our crowd? Who knows, you may find a bag of holding in your future!"

"WHO LOVES WRASTLIN'!? OH YEEEEAH!"

"Can you match wit with a winged cat? Test your mettle against Grand Archimanus, Chosen Tresym of Mystra!"

"Want to know when you'll die? Channel the essence of Kelemvor and see when you face judgment!"

"Sample the sugary delights of the Feywild, at Gukan's Gastrocology!"

"Who is the finest chef in all of Elturel? Find out today!"

"How quickly can you sketch a shapeshifter? Find out today and win a prize!"

"Are you Elturgard's greatest dancer? Test your fancy footwork today!"

The crowds move like a current, in and out, of all ages: but many are dirty, refugees who have done their best to fit into the city but also plenty of agrarian souls, farmers and the like. There's plenty of time: the elevation of new members of the Order will take place just before the High Observer takes the stage, and their ship will leave after that, allowing them part of the day and the whole of the night to take the Chionthar to Baldur's Gate, and for Rahnur, the waiting arms of his beloved family. Trini, Leosin, and Ontharr Frume make their way around the crowd, doing their best to fit in. Leosin is clearly uncomfortable, while Ontharr Frume has more friends than strangers here; Trini, unsurprisingly, makes a friend of everyone she meets, bantering as she can.

Out of Character

Welcome to the Festival of the Companion! Plenty to do! Did I set up your character for something here? I certainly hope so: but if I didn't, make something up! You may participate in 3; you can win all sorts of fun stuff!

• For most contests: DC 13 of an appropriate check for the contest. If more than one of you participates in a particular contest, whoever beats the DC by more is the winner
  • For the magic contest, in addition to selecting a fun spell (be liberal with it, there's no real combat today) and perform a Charisma check to add flourish; it will give you extra points
  • For WRASTLIN', it is equal parts Athletics, Acrobatics, combat, and Performance: all those rolls will be useful. You are not permitted weapons, but you are permitted magic and abilities, at your leisure
  • I'm happy to help you invent a contest in the Discord!

I plan on posting asynchronously, meaning I won't wait for everyone to post before I update some contests; for example, I wouldn't expect Dani to take part in the archery contest.

Edited by Gregorotto (see edit history)

5rqfzpE.png

Wendy

Proficiencies

Racial Features

Background Feature

Class Features

Cantrips

1st Level

2nd Level

Actions

Money

Inventory

1 shortsword (—)

Wendy and her friends!

eVuAZvu.png

Sanders

Tiny Beast, Lawful Good
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 1 (1d4 – 1)
Speed 20 ft.

Languages
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

D5qG4Ge.png

Large Beast, Lawful Good
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 19 (3d10 + 3)
Speed 40 ft.

Languages
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

IC
8 hours ago, Gregorotto said:

At the end of it all, Leosin hands the list of code names and Harper objects to Trini, saying, "Do you have a sending kit handy?" She nods, pulling out a pack with a scroll and some components within, and begins casting the ritual to send the spell long distances, ahead of them to Baldur's Gate. In the meantime, the Harper Avowed grins. "Glad to have you all, and while I would normally be the one to initiate you, the Harpers in Baldur's Gate will be the one to do so, I think. Your Harper insignia will be waiting for you there. Now, shall we get to enjoying ourselves? I believe you, Wendy, owe some paintings out there in the wild world."

“Speaking of paintings, I’ve got a few here in my pack that I might be able to sell at the fair. Think they’ll let me set up a little ‘booth’?”

At the Festival

Wendy oohs and aahs at the sights. It’s all so fun. Whether or not they officially let her, she sets up a small ‘booth’—little more than a stool and her easel backed by some sturdy bushes, upon which she hangs some of her paintings. The centerpiece is the painting she did of her and her friends in the dungeon. That one has a big ‘Not for Sale!’ sign on it. She offers to sketch a caricature for 5 copper per person in the picture, or paint a portrait. For a small portrait, she offers for 5 silver per person in the picture. For medium, it’s 5 electrum, and for a large portrait, it’s 5 gold.

She excuses herself for the shapeshifter-sketching contest, though!

Then, for the wrestling, she asks if it’s okay to turn into a bear and wrestle that way?

OOC

Interact-with-Object: —

Name
Charaisma Check for Selling Paintings
1d20-1 8
DC 13 SoF Check with Prof from Paint Sup. for Sketching Contest
1d20+4 17
Wendibear Wrastlin' Athletics
1d20+4 14
Wendibear Wrastlin' Acrobatics
1d20+4 16
Wendibear Wrastlin' Performance
1d20-1 20
Wendibear Wrastlin' Athletics (Disadvantage)
1d20+4 15
Wendibear Wrastlin' Acrobatics (Disadvantage)
1d20+4 19