Race: Variant Human

Sex: Male  

Height: 6' 0" Weight: 225 lbs.
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral  

Background: Noble/Knight/Retainers

Class: Fighter 1 Subclass: Eldritch Knight

Personality

Personality

• If you do me an injury, I will crush you, ruin your name, and salt your fields.
  • Despite my noble birth, I do not place myself above other folk. We all have the same blood.

Ideals

• Independence. I must prove that I can handle myself without the coddling of my family. (Chaotic)

Bonds

• My loyalty to my people is unwavering.
  • The common folk must see me as a hero of the people.

Flaws

• I have an insatiable desire for carnal pleasures.
  • I tend to pursue my enemies with burning hatred.
Character Concept

A young Knight out to prove himself to his family and people, trying his hardest without the real experience of the world to guide him.

Proficiency Bonus +2 | checked-shield.svg AC: 19 | health-normal.svg Max HP: 13 | walking-boot.svg Speed: 30 ft | awareness.svg PP: 14 | sprint.svg Init: +3

strong.svg
STRENGTH
body-balance.svg
DEXTERITY
caduceus.svg
CONSTITUTION
read.svg
INTELLIGENCE
meditation.svg
WISDOM
aura.svg
CHARISMA

19 (+4)

15 (+2)

16 (+3) 15 (+2) 14 (+2) 13 (+1)
+6 Str Save +2 Dex Save +5 Con Save +2 Int Save +2 Wis Save +1 Cha Save
+6 Athletics

+2 Acrobatics

+2 Sleight of Hand

+2 Stealth

+2 Arcana
+4 History
+2 Investigation
+2 Nature
+2 Religion
+2 A. Handling
+2 Insight
+2 Medicine
+4 Perception
+4 Survival
+1 Deception
+1 Intimidation
+1 Performance
+3 Persuasion

Equipment

• Clothes, Fine Set
  • Longsword and Shield
  • Signet Ring
  • Dungeoneer’s Pack
  • Scroll of Pedigree
  • Dice Set
  • Chain mail
  • Light crossbow & 20 Bolts
  • House Banner

orb-wand.svg Magic Items

• None

Appearance & Personality

Tall for a human, Kain stands over most other his own age at 6' tall, with a well muscled frame made from years of physical training. His pale skin and bright blue eyes betray a northern upbringing in colder lands. His white hair is distinctive, and not at all in line with any of his other family members, but as to the reason for its strange appearance, no one knows. His hair is short, both to keep it from his face, but also to keep it from catching in a helmet or grabbed in combat. He has several tattoos on his torso and arms, the ink a deep dark rust color, made from black ink and blood mixed in a strange alchemical process. His chest holds the crest of his house, while his arm tattoos seem strangely... abstract...

Far from most Nobles, Kain tries to be friendly to everyone upon first meeting, no matter their status or station in the world. A young naivety that comes with his lack of real world experience perhaps, or maybe just an act, it is hard to tell. Being raised as a soldier Kain has understanding of tactics and command to a point, but his youth can make him a bit rash. He rarely speaks of his own feelings but is more than happy to check up on others, preferring to keep to himself what he thinks and feels as he believes exposing these to others could be a weakness.

Plothook

Born in a relatively peaceful land, Kain was taught the way of the sword and magics from a young age. He picked up the art of the blade rather quickly, magic... not so much. He was never really in any true danger for the majority of his younger life, until his 17th year, when he was assigned his first squire, a young boy named Dorian. On a regular patrol their unit was ambushed by bandits and in the chaos that ensued, Dorian was slain and Kain was partially blamed for his death and demoted. It took several years to regain that honor once again and finally be given a new squire.

Now, on a patrol of the lands once again Kain finds his small groups camp surrounded by strange mists. With his horses spooked and gone he and his servants grab what they can from the wagons and saddle bags and try to head for home, only to find themselves in a strange new lands as the fog thins. With his past now somewhat farther behind him, he hopes to make a difference here, and become the hero he truly wishes he can be.

Backstory

Born to minor nobles in charge of farmland in between Daggerford and Waterdeep, Kain was raised around the commonfolk making a bit different than the average Noble. His youngest memories consist of sword training in the morning with his father, and magic studies in the evening with his mother. His one day off from schooling was spent out in the fields, playing with the commoners children and wandering through the small hamlets. On special occasions he would accompany his parents on trips to Waterdeep for noble parties and other functions, giving Kain a rather rounded view of the world. He grew up in relative safety and comfort giving him a rather sheltered view of his surroundings until his 15th birthday. He was sent to train with other knights of the land in Waterdeep, and sent on patrols with them.

After several combat encounters, Kain's innocence was mostly gone. Killing bandits and monsters was not at all what he was accustom too, but he felt no aversion to it either. It filled him with a sense of duty as every swing of his blade aided in protecting those who he was charged to protect. He trained and fought besides these knights for two years before returning home to a welcoming party for his 17th birthday. Now charged with the training of a young squire boy named Dorian, Kain felt like a true knight and began to act foolishly. His first patrol of the lands ended poorly, resulting in several injuries among his men, and the death of his squire. Shamed and demoted by his father back to squire, Kain spent the next few years learning humility and the art of command.

Now at 20, Kain is a Knight once more, given retainers and a squire to care for once again. He spent the next year working to protect the lands around him, commanding a small unit of men on patrols. Shortly after his 21st birthday he took his squire and two favorite servants out to the woods for a hunting trip, separating them from his patrol unit. It was here that the mists surrounded them, spooked his horses, and sent them all down a winding path into the darkest places of this gods forsaken place...

Fears and Failures

Fears:

• Kain fears deep water and the possibility of drowning. Wearing armor most of his days makes swimming difficult and being pulled under a real possibility.
  • Losing his new squire, as he has grown fond of her in the last year.
  • Becoming a monster. Kain wants to be a hero to his people, and those who need him, and becoming a monster, either while still human, or quite literally a monster undead or otherwise absolutely terrifies him.

Failures:

• Kain's inexperience cost the life of his previous squire...
  • Kain is actually a bastard child and not truly the son of his Father, therefore not a true Noble...
  • Kain's kindness is really just an act to get people to like him more, so he can manipulate them...
  • Kain killed another knight in a dual... On purpose...
Retainers:

Squire: Lady Amelia Silver SquireToken.png.00f62f0683e9312f0d7c1cda1823c30a.png

Cook/Servant: Elora Greenleaf CookToken.png.49054d5646eaa94432d649d88d948e82.png

Servant/Armor and Horse Care: Mia RosebrowServant2token.png.8a92f5b59a7f15eb13b1762eb357ad67.png

Details

Music: https://youtu.be/q3lpoGABH6A?si=csGlvC6kjs-tz-Hi

https://youtu.be/T8BI2fKzdys?si=O5_dHxwfHhnywiaO

https://youtu.be/ai901UjWR5M?si=IpD5AxFQEkYQF868

Connections: Ser Alexander Dorset (Kain's Father/Knight) A hard man who keeps his home and lands with an iron fist. A true believer that the strong must help guide the weak, but more importantly, protect them, even from themselves.

Lady Nicolette Dorset (Kain's Mother/Wizard) The soothing balm to her her people and counter to her husbands iron fist, she is the first to aid whoever needs it. A loving mother to all she may seem a bit naive at first but she is fiercely intelligent and a shrewd diplomat when needed and can be just as intimidating as her husband, perhaps even more so...

Deity: Torm: Kain follows Torm due to his knightly nature. Kain believes that loyalty and duty is all well and good, but one still needs to take a moment to consider ones actions fist so as to ensure their intent would uphold the chivalric ideals. This has caused him a bit of grief from time to time as not all orders come from a place of noble intent or a good heart, but they are what is best for the people and country.

Is Might Right?: Kain does not believe that the strong should always be in charge, Strength alone does not make for good kingcraft or leadership. The duty of the strong is to protect those who lack the means to protect themselves. One who leads can be weak, so long as the strong stand beside them.

Edited by FelixFaust (see edit history)

TokenofKnight.png.de234c18cb6ebd84fc5012b5ecabde96.png Kain Dorset

Noble Knight

AC: 17 (Chain) | HP: 13/13 (1d10+3) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Passive Perception 14, Insight 12, Investigation 12

Proficient Skills: Athletics (+6), Perception (+4), Survival (+4), History (+4), Persuasion (+3)
Str: 19 (+4) | Dex: 15 (+2) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 15 (+2) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 13 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, and Dwarvish

“My words,” Kain Dorset says. | ‘My thoughts,’ Sir Kain Dorset thinks. | My actions . . .

OOC

Movement: —

Action: —

Bonus Action: —

Reaction: —

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just to go ahead and give you full things to work with, here are some stat blocks for your retainers:

Lady Amelia Silver

Proficiency Bonus +2 | checked-shield.svg AC: 13 | health-normal.svg Max HP: 22| walking-boot.svg Speed: 30 ft | awareness.svg PP: 11 | sprint.svg Init: +2

strong.svg
STRENGTH
body-balance.svg
DEXTERITY
caduceus.svg
CONSTITUTION
read.svg
INTELLIGENCE
meditation.svg
WISDOM
aura.svg
CHARISMA

14 (+2)

14 (+2)

12 (+1) 10 (+0) 12 (+1) 10 (+0)
+2 Str Save +2 Dex Save +1 Con Save +0 Int Save +1 Wis Save +0 Cha Save
+4 Athletics

+2 Acrobatics

+2 Sleight of Hand

+2 Stealth

+0 Arcana
+0 History
+0 Investigation
+0 Nature
+0 Religion
+1 A. Handling
+1 Insight
+1 Medicine
+1 Perception
+3 Survival
+0 Deception
+0 Intimidation
+0 Performance
+0 Persuasion

Proficiencies: Martial Weapons, Athletics, Survival

Languages: Common

Equipment: Leather Armor, Long Sword

Elora Greenleaf

Proficiency Bonus +2 | checked-shield.svg AC: 10 | health-normal.svg Max HP: 8 | walking-boot.svg Speed: 30 ft | awareness.svg PP: 11 | sprint.svg Init: +0

strong.svg
STRENGTH
body-balance.svg
DEXTERITY
caduceus.svg
CONSTITUTION
read.svg
INTELLIGENCE
meditation.svg
WISDOM
aura.svg
CHARISMA

10 (+0)

12 (+1)

10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0)
+0 Str Save +1 Dex Save +0 Con Save +0 Int Save +0 Wis Save +0 Cha Save
+0 Athletics

+1 Acrobatics

+1 Sleight of Hand

+1 Stealth

+0 Arcana
+0 History
+0 Investigation
+0 Nature
+0 Religion
+0 A. Handling
+0 Insight
+0 Medicine
+2 Perception
+0 Survival
+0 Deception
+0 Intimidation
+0 Performance
+0 Persuasion

Proficiencies: Cooking Utensils, Perception (Keen Senses), Simple Weapons

Languages: Common, Elvish

Special Abilities: Darkvision (60'), Fey Ancestry (Advantage against charm, Immune to magical sleep), Trance

Equipment: Clothes

Mia Rosebrow

Proficiency Bonus +2 | checked-shield.svg AC: 10 | health-normal.svg Max HP: 8 | walking-boot.svg Speed: 30 ft | awareness.svg PP: 11 | sprint.svg Init: +0

strong.svg
STRENGTH
body-balance.svg
DEXTERITY
caduceus.svg
CONSTITUTION
read.svg
INTELLIGENCE
meditation.svg
WISDOM
aura.svg
CHARISMA

12 (+1)

10 (+0)

10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0)
+1 Str Save +0 Dex Save +0 Con Save +0 Int Save +0 Wis Save +0 Cha Save
+1 Athletics

+0 Acrobatics

+0 Sleight of Hand

+0 Stealth

+0 Arcana
+0 History
+0 Investigation
+0 Nature
+0 Religion
+0 A. Handling
+0 Insight
+0 Medicine
+0 Perception
+0 Survival
+0 Deception
+0 Intimidation
+0 Performance
+0 Persuasion

Proficiencies: Smiths Tools, Simple Weapons

Languages: Common

Equipment: Clothes

Edited by Anthr4xus (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

JFYI, some things I noticed while organizing my character reference.

1) You don't have a default action or reaction specified (you should also specify this for your retainers as well)

2) Chain Mail gives an AC of 16, bumped to 18 with a shield. Where are you pulling that 17 AC from?

3) You were missing weights on your character sheet for the fine clothes and banner. Banners don't have a standard weight (no pun intended), so I will set that at 2 lbs. With that adjustment it brings your total equipment weight to 139.5, which is encumbered, but not heavily.

Sorry!

1) Default Action: Attack closest enemy within range, failing that switch to ranged weapon and attack.

1.5) Reaction: For the moment, always use AoO when applicable.

1.9) Amelia Silver will always move between any danger and the other retainers as they attempt to remove themselves form the immediate danger as the other 2 can't really fight. She will fight only if pressed or if the others are safely away and Kain calls for her(unlikely, but it could happen if you are ok with it). Amelia will always use reaction for an AoO if possible as well.

2) Chainmail(16)= + Shield(2) + Fighting Style: Defense(1) = 19 AC Look under Features And Traits on my sheet, that is where I put my fighting style, I am still new to 5e so I wasn't sure of the best place for it.

3) Thanks for the weight adjustment! I wasn't sure of those weights either. Yes, Heavily would be 190+ lbs I believe.

Ah, I missed your fighting style, that explains it. The need for some additonal info blocks are some of my biggest peeves about the 5e sheet.

I wouldn't want to short change your retainers, they are a feature for a reason. Amelia is basically a NPC under your control that operates under the following detail: Your retainers are commoners who can perform mundane tasks for you, but they do not fight for you, will not follow you into obviously dangerous areas (such as dungeons), and will leave if they are frequently endangered or abused.

With that said, because of the situation they are in, they are far more likely to stay.with you and even fight along side you than normally. I like the dynamic you have written up for things and am inclined to roll with it so long as it doesn't become problematic. It actual provides a nice solution for some of the encumbrance issue, since they won't follow you into obviously dangerous areas it makes sense to leave "droppable" equipment with them.

yes exactly, I figured Amelia would only fight if pressed by enemies to protect the others(or we are ambushed), and the others would only fight if they themselves are attacked and Amelia isn't around to help. Kain doesn't want them hurt anyways, so he will have a standing order for them to fall back and escape if possible to a safe distance. They could hold some of Kain's gear, but at the moment he is holding it because he wants them to be able to move freely if needed, but yes when the time comes for danger they will split the load and help so Kain can move.

Also, if I find or buy better gear I was planning on giving Amelia my old gear, beefing her up a bit for those just in case moments :)

Totally reasonable. Although to clarify, using the current situation as an example, it would be Totally reasonable for Kain to leave all three of them on the road, guarding not only themselves and his extra equipment, but also whatever gear everyone else wants to drop as well (i.e. harin's chest).

I was going to have them move with Kain until they can see the "Clearing" then make them stop there with the stuff. Off the road so no one passing by can be a threat, but far enough away from the clearing that any possible danger there won't see them either. Does that sound fair?