Character Creation Chat

Sorcery

I think Marko Kloos' work and Generation Kill are both great, so you've captured my interest.

Have they got the Star Wars dice up in Baldr yet?

EDIT: Also, for the fireteams: the Age of Rebellion GM Kit has rules for squads/squadrons. Basically they add bonus dice and serve as ablative meat shields.

Edited by Intro (see edit history)

I completely forgot about checking for the dice feature, because I knew it was up on the old site.

The new user guide only explains Fate dice, so it's probably not there yet. We'll just roll on the old site if need be. Due to the ad I have a game for it already anyway, so...

I know about the AoR GM kit stuff and we might use that or keep them in separate minion groups. I'm currently undecided whether every player getting to roll two attacks in a round will be slower than having one attack every round but with lower total damage output. We might give both a try!

And it's super cool to already get confirmation that others know about the Kloos novels, too! I was half afraid that they would be a largely unknown reference.

Mr King is looking good so far, I think! The way I imagine things, native fauna is... largely not a thing and native flora is very limited, meaning that most colonies with a (potentially) viable atmosphere are subject to terraforming and extensive planting of fast-growing vegetation long before the first real, permanent settlement is founded. Of course, mankind then tends to import all sorts of animals in the good old tradition of casually introducing invasive species into extant ecosystems, so he will still be able top keep very busy trying to ensure this delicate artificial balance does not fall apart.

Yeah, I figured at most there's pseudo-microbial life around on the native side. But that it's still enough to cause the occasional novel interaction when you combine it with a whole new ecosystem.

@Jades Elizabeth looks good overall! However, please give her some sort of non-defence related everyday life occupation. I really like the instructor angle, having someone who can teach the new guys and girls what they need to know, but the militia is part-time soldiers only so I have characters with a little bit of a background and a few people and plot hooks in store if this project branches out into something more than a few skirmishes. And I'm definitely hoping it will. Also, make sure to have two ranks in Ranged (Heavy), because the lowly rifle is going to be everyone's standard weapon (and will be usable for machine guns up to a certain size, in case you're worried about firepower). When in command of a vehicle, we'll probably have the minion crew handle attack rolls anyway.

@rmorgens Hank is good, too! He seems like an interesting type and I can already see how his background can come into play even during the skirmish wargaming phase.

@both of you: some shuffling around of skills/talents might be a good idea if both characters play, because the vehicle component will be limited in size (when and if it gets introduced) and I would like to retain two groups of dismounts for the sake of encounter design. We can do that once we know what's what though, no need to turn everything upside down just yet. If additional characters are entered, I might not be able to accommodate everyone, so... long story short, we'll tackle that once we get there.

Edited by Sorcery (see edit history)

Yeah, the Piloting (Planetary) was more flavor than any expected usage.  Can swap for Discipline (or possibly Coordination).  Astrogation didn't seem useful here, and I wasn't certain how Knowledge (Outer Rim) would apply here....

I'm toying with an application.  I'm thinking of a farmer, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what secondary skills would go with that.  Maybe Xenology for crops and animals, but even that seems a bit of a stretch.

Welcome! It's nice to have your interest! 🙂

I believe the Colonist sourcebook has farming homesteads use Resilience as their group skill. Which... I mean, sure, physical labour is going to make you a bit tougher than sitting behind a desk, but it's not super exciting, admittedly.

Survival is another possible option. It's probably no fight just to stay alive for one more day all the time, but farming is bound to make you more self-sufficient than sitting in the primary settlement running the general store.

I was already planning on survival.  I noticed the lack of scout types in the scouting unit, so I was going to go with a Pathfinder and make survival, stealth, and perception my key skills.

I can use resilience.  It's one of those skill you'd like to have, but can never really justify spending XP on.

Hey everyone!

I'll need to mull over it for a night or two (and revise my encounter design somewhat), but as of right now I would like to let all four of you play. Don't consider that a promise at this point, but... I'm going to do my best to make it happen that way.

Four fireteams are going to make the whole thing more complex, obviously, and I don't want to just dial up the number of enemies to create a shooting gallery situation that would only make turns longer and bog gameplay down. Which means that I need to balance out the challenge level in other ways. My goal isn't to kill the player characters (or the ablative armour squaddies), but the opposition will have to be competent and thus potentially deadly. Long story short, I'm currently going through my notes to adjust things to that effect while making sure that you still have the opportunity and means to heavily stack the deck in your favour (at least most of the time; meeting engagements on an equal footing are obviously going to be less... stackable) to ensure victory and keep things rolling at a steady pace.

Fortunately the initial stages of the game are going to be an exercise, so if someone hops the stick it won't be a lasting outcome. We can experiment a little and find out what works and what doesn't.

Forms with dotted lines to sign on will arrive shortly.