Dice Roller

I'm still looking around and testing everything i can find, but one of the things i was just testing was the dice roller.

From what i understand having played with it a little, and correct me if i'm wrong is the steps are like so.

• Make a post

• Click on dice rolls.

• Add values (Name, string, etc)

• Click Roll

• Wait for it to load

• Click Okay

I just have a couple off questions about these steps. Firstly, is there any way to add dice in the post itself? Second, is there any way we can speed up the steps. For example, after you have entered the values and clicked Roll, do we need to wait with the window open so we can click okay? Can we make it so clicking Roll just assumes we are okay with the dice being added (since there is no other choice anyway) and let it just load in the background? Having to sit an wait for it to load so you can hit okay is a real slowdown, especially when we get to what i think is my biggest point.

Is there any way to add more than one dice roll at a time? Its very common for me - and i'm sure for everyone, especially DMs - to roll many dice in a single post. Its an easy thing to do on the old side, you just type in as many as you need and it just populates. But if i'm running a game with 4 enemies making saves and doing attacks, imagine each enemy has two attacks, thats 12 rolls right there. Doing each of those 12 rolls individually with the steps as they are now is going to take forever.

I'm not trying to be picky and i know its beta, i'm just bringing up issues as i see them because thats what beta is for, the site has a LOT of positives going for it right now.

Edited by Neopopulas (see edit history)

Is there any place to see what features of the dice tower have been implemented? Right now, as far as I could tell, only the basic XdY with modifier is working. Early days and all that, but it would be nice to know when new features get added and to have some sort of easily found list of available roll types.

17 minutes ago, leons1701 said:

Is there any place to see what features of the dice tower have been implemented? Right now, as far as I could tell, only the basic XdY with modifier is working. Early days and all that, but it would be nice to know when new features get added and to have some sort of easily found list of available roll types.

Documentation on that is pending, hopefully this week as the initial frenzy dies down and Eric is able to turn his attention to that documentation.

I see you've changed your mind on in-line rolls.  I'll miss their ability to convey information about the timing of events rather than just their existence, but as long as we get a bulk-entry format for the Dice Tower (which I'm certain you are working on) then I'll eagerly take the increased features you can put into something like the Tower.

One thing that I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement, but would be amazing is some way to see the dice rolls when editing a post.  It is, of course, very common for people to roll dice and then use those dice to make changes to their post.  (Obvious examples:  My post will look different if I hit or missed, populating an initiative table or updating damage done to enemies, etc).  One annoyance of the old in-line system was that there was no way, other than having multiple tabs open or scribbling down the numbers somewhere else, to be able to see the results of your rolls as you worked on your edit, which left me constantly tab-switching or multi-round-editing to get all of the dice-derived information updated.  Right now in the beta, editing your post hides the Tower, but if there was some way to keep the Tower around that would be amazing.

Loving things so far!  Looking forward to updates as they come!

2 hours ago, Nixis said:

One thing that I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement, but would be amazing is some way to see the dice rolls when editing a post.  It is, of course, very common for people to roll dice and then use those dice to make changes to their post.  (Obvious examples:  My post will look different if I hit or missed, populating an initiative table or updating damage done to enemies, etc).  Right now in the beta, editing your post hides the Tower, but if there was some way to keep the Tower around that would be amazing.

Things you never knew you wanted but now need. 😛

Guess I'm just used to the save, edit, save, look again, try to recall which rolls did what, edit again, etc routine by now, but if we could actually avoid that, it would be excellent.

1 minute ago, leons1701 said:

Things you never knew you wanted but now need. 😛

Guess I'm just used to the save, edit, save, look again, try to recall which rolls did what, edit again, etc routine by now, but if we could actually avoid that, it would be excellent.

I third this request as this would be huge for both DM's and players. I think the concern might be though if it was available while replying and you didn't like the dice roll then you could just abandon the post and never submit it. So not sure if it is doable.  We can only hope though.

Yeah, it would have to be after the initial post was saved. Which is fine, what we want is the ability to still see the die rolls that were already made while editing. Probably a bigger deal for GM's than players, they can have a lot more rolls to remember/resolve in a single post.

• 2 weeks later...

@leons1701Can you provide a screenshot, along with browser information? It should definitely work without requiring two posts.

Do note that the dice roller is only available within Games and not in the "public forums" or other parts of the site.