Character Creation Rules

The Eyeball Kid

1. Create a thread in this folder titled: Character Name, Race Class. Mark it "WIP" while working on it and "Ready for Review" when you're ready for me to take a look at it.
  2. Starting Level is first.
  3. Application Format: Any you want. You can make it as fancy as you like if that's your thing, but it doesn't have to be. You don't even really have to fill out a complete character sheet, just enough to give the requested information. If accepted I will ask you to make and maintain a Myth-Weavers character sheet and attach it to the game.
  4. Stats: You can roll 4d6 six times, dropping the lowest, and assign the rolls as you wish or use a 27 point point-buy. If you don't like your rolls you can have one re-roll and then switch to point-buy if you're still not happy with the result.
  5. Allowed Races: Any official race is fine. If it shows up in multiple sources, use the most recent. You can customize your lineage and I'll consider races customized per Tasha's, though I'd probably rather not without a compelling reason. Variant Human is fine.
  6. Allowed Classes: Any official class and archetype, give me an idea what you have in mind for development, though I won't hold you to it.
  7. Allowed Backgrounds: Any that doesn't grant feats or spell lists (off the top of my head, no Ravnica, Krynn, Strixhaven, or Bigby's). Might consider third party for this as long as the class feature is comparable to the official ones.
  8. Alignment: Leaning towards good or neutral, but ability to work with others is more crucial.
  9. Equipment: Per background and class or roll for it. You can go to background and class if you roll and don't like it. You can sell unwanted equipment for half-price. Don't really have to go into this for the app unless there's something special you want to discuss.
  10. Appearance / Personality: Give me a paragraph for each in addition to (or expanding on) Personality/Ideals/Bonds/Flaws. A picture would be nice but not required.
  11. Character History: Doesn't have to be elaborate, a paragraph or two will do. Why are you heading to Phandalin (see below for some ideas)? Any ties to the town? Do you know Gundren Rockseeker (or Sildar Hallwinter)? I'll probably want at least one or two to have ties to Gundren or Sildar but we can work that out post-application period if no one takes it now. Associates may already be signed on for the caravan and Gundren is looking to fill out the company for them.

Edited by The Eyeball Kid (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Ideas for Character Hooks Tied to Backgrounds

• Acolyte: The frontier town of Phandalin is resilient, but organized religious resources are scarce. Your temple in Neverwinter sent you to Phandalin to pray and offer communion with like-minded faithful.
  • Charlatan: You've planned your latest get-rich-quick scheme. The townspeople of Phandalin have never heard of what you're selling, and you hope to establish a customer base.
  • Criminal: You're wanted for crimes in Neverwinter, and perhaps you're exiled from the city. Phandalin is a small bastion of civilization where you can lie low and no one will be the wiser.
  • Entertainer: You've spent time in Neverwinter and love performing for audiences, but you need new experiences from which to draw inspiration for your art. Traveling to Phandalin will provide new material for your work, and its watering holes promise eager crowds.
  • Folk Hero: You may have humble origins, but you made your name as a hero in the wilds outside Neverwinter. You need new adventures, so you've set off for the frontier of Phandalin.
  • Guild Artisan: You've learned a useful trade in Neverwinter, but the city is home to too many artisans with that skill. Now, you're heading to Phandalin, where you hope to start a lucrative business.
  • Hermit: You've spent a lot of time in the wilds outside Neverwinter, but you've always kept a home in the city. You've decided to move somewhere rural, and Phandalin seems like the perfect place.
  • Noble: Your family is based in Neverwinter but owns property throughout the Sword Coast. You recently inherited a cottage in Phandalin and must inspect the place before you decide to keep or sell it.
  • Outlander: You spent your youth with a guardian who lived a simple life in the wilds outside Phandalin, but later you moved to the city. Now an adult, you've decided to return to the area where you feel most at home.
  • Sage: In the academic halls of Neverwinter, you studied the region's historical alliance between Phandalin and its neighbors. The fate of the lost mine of Phandelver has always fascinated you, so you're traveling to Phandalin to discover whether any locals know rumors about its fate.
  • Sailor: You've sailed ships along the Sword Coast, but a brush with death made you rethink your profession. You're headed to Phandalin to decide what's next.
  • Soldier: You're a member of the Neverwinter Guard, and you've suffered a terrible injury in the line of duty. You healed, but you're not ready to return to work yet. Until you are, you're taking easy jobs protecting merchant wagons heading to Phandalin.
  • Friend of the Harpers: You've spent much of your life in awe of the Harpers, a secretive organization dedicated to promoting good and preserving history. You've always wanted to join, but you've struggled to gain the group's attentoin. You're headed to Phandalin where you hope your good deeds will gain the Harpers' notice.
  • Gauntlet Trainee: You have pledged yourself to the Order of the Gauntlet, a devout and vigilant group thake seeks to protect others from evildoers. Before you become a full-fledged member, you've decided to meet your hero, a retired adventurer named Daran Edermath, who was part of the order and has thwarted many local threats. Daran lives in Phandalin in a cottage beside an apple orchard. You plan to visit him and drink in his wisdom before joining the order yourself.