The Return to Laura II [IC]

Sala

image.jpeg.6d387d6a568b5a4ba33f4186c1819963.jpegJace Falcone, Halcyon Field Commander & Acting Expedition Commander

Jace was contemplative in thought as they brainstormed.

"Well, in had no indications before we reached the planet, nor any when we set about salvage and recovery operations after the crash. She was not on board the Laura Two when the ship came down. So, I don't really think she was an outright saboteur, but I could be wrong."

"However, when we subdued her, she was not acting normally at all. It was like she was under the influence of something. And who knows what could be happening if there are Sathar involved. I have heard tell of Cyberware experimentation and we know they were up to something here with genetic type testing."

"Is there anything else that you all observed that could provide some insight in hindsight?"

Character Info

SWADE Character Sheet
Notice: 1d6+2
Parry: 5
Toughness: 6 Base (12 Ballistic, 14 Laser)

Bennies: 3/3

Weapon in hand: Stunner

Galactic Standard Time: 05:48 am / Landfall Planetary Time: 13:11 am
Hours Remaining to Deadline: ~5

Time Remaining to Investigation: 15-30 minutes

Party Members and Status

Tobias.png.cbfae8cf04cb1a03e53caeb2d91445f1.pngCarl.png.f8c4d1bcba69cb50e1c83d027f4f9388.pngBaba.png.d808142f1fe0193fbb7c686c1ca1619b.png TeamC2.png.60bb3816fc93e7f3958f988f50b7df3a.png

Ferny.png.442f16058873dca1342cbb728b3100bd.png

Geo.png.9e2721750d4337f349c09841e0fcd140.png Hanna.png.13e216bc7e2db087b2d655246a9f3ccf.png

Status
Drop Team:
Baba: 3/4 Bennies, 1 Wound
Ferny: 3/3 Bennies

Station Roof:
Geo: 3/3 Bennies

Aquilla Shuttle:
Carl: 3/3 Bennies
Hanna: Unconscious, Drugged?
Vernon:
Francis:
Herbie:

The Sathar Dome:
Keita: 2/2 Bennies
Beth:
Tiki: 3/3 Bennies, 1 Wounds
Yat: 3/3 Bennies
Becky:
Mox:
Kochinho:
Simba:

Halcyon Shuttle: At dome

Halcyon Merc Dropship Alpha: At Dome

Kershkick Mound:
Kirby:
Felix:
Captain Roark: 3/3 Bennies, 3 Wounds
Vinz: 1 Wound
Buubuu: 3/3 Bennies, 2 Wounds

Laura II Crash Site:
Corvid Shuttle:
Dove Shuttle:
Marg: ?, trapped in Armory
S'hax: 1 Wound, trapped in Armory

Missing Escape Pod:
Rudith: ?
Gloopurt: ?
Gohn: ?

Setting his hands on his hips, Carl tilts his head. "I mean, the ship going down was on account of the pirates, yeah?"

"He refers to the radio signal into Sathar space," Vernon reminds him. "Hrm, still, she was on the initial rescue team. It's possible she activated the radio on the last visit to the Laura II, before S'hax found it," rubbing his chin between two fingers, Vernon feels at the beginnings of prickly stubble born of a few days without a shave. "Nothing comes to mind from this trip. I certainly did not see her tampering with the fuel lines, but she could have done that while the rest of us were taking in the view." He looks up and out, over the lavender water stretching out into a familiar, yet alien horizon.

With a small shrug, Francis adds, "Nobody's talking about how S'hax might have done it. I mean, he 'found' the radio in the first place right? Isn't that awfully convenient?"

"I'm thinkin' he prob'ly wouldn't have ordered Hanna to shoot him with a mini-rocket," Carl responds.

"No, but if she was acting all weird what if he drugged her?" the boy raises a finger. "You never really know what somebody will do when they're drugged up."

image.jpeg.6d387d6a568b5a4ba33f4186c1819963.jpegJace Falcone, Halcyon Field Commander & Acting Expedition Commander

Jace nodded with both points that were brought up.

"Right, we really don't know for sure about much."

"At least until Hanna appears to be normal again, we leave her restrained so she doesn't harm herself or anyone else. We shall need some expertise in figuring it out, most likely."

"The best thing is to refrain from too much speculation based solely on assumptions."

He gestured to Carl, "You can stay here, and I will check on Baba to see how things are going."

Jace returned to the interior of the ship and headed to the Bridge.

Character Info

SWADE Character Sheet

Posted (edited)

Galactic Standard Time: 05:53 am / Landfall Planetary Time: 13:16 am
Hours Remaining to Deadline: ~4.5

Time Remaining to Investigation: 10-25 minutes

Party Members and Status

Tobias.png.cbfae8cf04cb1a03e53caeb2d91445f1.pngCarl.png.f8c4d1bcba69cb50e1c83d027f4f9388.pngBaba.png.d808142f1fe0193fbb7c686c1ca1619b.png TeamC2.png.60bb3816fc93e7f3958f988f50b7df3a.png

Geo.png.9e2721750d4337f349c09841e0fcd140.png Hanna.png.13e216bc7e2db087b2d655246a9f3ccf.png

Status
Drop Team:

Station Roof:

Aquilla Shuttle:
Vernon:
Francis:
Herbie:

The Sathar Dome:
Beth:
Becky:
Mox:
Kochinho:
Simba:

Kershkick Mound:
Kirby:
Felix:

Laura II Crash Site:
Corvid Shuttle:
Dove Shuttle:

Missing Escape Pod:

"Right, I'll keep things safe up here, boss," doing a little salute, Carl sets himself in the crook of the landing door and keeps a watch over Hanna and the non-combatants inside. As Jace makes his way back to the broken airlock and inside, Geo remains perched in guard, the Hunter as still as a stone gargoyle crouched on the edge of a building.

No ghosts or ghouls assail him on his trip back through the ship, save perhaps for the annoying sounds of the breach warning alarm. The bridge is alive with sound, from sparking computer monitors that appear to have been smashed open by a blunt instrument. Even were she not drowned in the ocean, the Laura II is far from a flyable state. A mechanical drone has already cleaned up the sparking wires from about three quarters of the broken monitors, and is in the process of performing triage on the astrogation terminal. At Jace's approach, it beeps and states in a mechanical tone, "COMMAND CREW DETECTED. REQUEST ACCESS TO STORAGE UNIT 009." Parts storage to replace the broken monitors, maybe?

In the bridge, there is an emergency hatch in the floor leading down to the captain's personal quarters, should he need to report to the bridge swiftly. The hatch is open, and Jace can hear the sound of clicking keys below. Peering down, he can see into Roark's room. It was tidy, at some point. The bed is neatly made and tucked well enough that it held together during the crash, while several odds and ends thrown from shelves litter the floor. A firearm cleaning and maintenance kit has struck the floor, breaking open its latch and spilling its contents everywhere. Gun oil from a fractured container has pooled in the lower corner of the lopsided room. A few personal effects too, like a baseball trophy. MVP: Field, it reads, a small gold-colored statuette of a baseball player pounding a ball into a catcher's mitt. Ferny is holding the trophy and feeling the smooth metal surface with her vines.

Standing at a desk (the chair broke a leg in the crash, lying dead on the floor), typing at a terminal, is Baba. She looks up when she hears his arrival. "Hey, chief." Reaching down onto the table in front of her, she picks up an open book. Part of it has been stained with oil. "I found a cleaning log for his weapons," she points at the mess on the floor. "Noticed some letters and numbers are bolded. Got it on my fourth try," the old woman reports proudly, turning back to the screen. "Now if I could just figure out where what I'm looking for is... I finished shutting down the subspace radio for now, that was labelled at least. Finding the settings for the correct door is a nightmare though - did you notice any serial number or designation on the armory door up there?"

Edited by Sala (see edit history)

Jace decided to go ahead and let the maintenance drone access whatever it wanted to repair things. Maybe something good would come of it later when they returned for more salvage. "Access granted," he told it curious if that was all that was required.

He nodded as Baba made her request, "Okay, I can go check and see what is there. What about the jamming? Have we dealt with that so I can comm you from there instead wasting valuable time going back and forth?"

Either way he headed back to the armory to see what he could find out that could help Baba. If he was able to communicate through their tactical comms, then he would instead of returning right away.

Character Info

SWADE Character Sheet

Galactic Standard Time: 05:57 am / Landfall Planetary Time: 13:20 am
Hours Remaining to Deadline: ~4.5

Time Remaining to Investigation: 6-21 minutes

Party Members and Status

Status
Drop Team:

Station Roof:

Aquilla Shuttle:
Vernon:
Francis:
Herbie:

The Sathar Dome:
Beth:
Becky:
Mox:
Kochinho:
Simba:

Kershkick Mound:
Kirby:
Felix:

Laura II Crash Site:
Corvid Shuttle:
Dove Shuttle:

Missing Escape Pod:

"CONFIRMED." The drone exits the bridge, with Jace's permission granted.

In response to Jace's question, Baba reaches up and tries her short range comms. "Testing, testing," her voice comes in as crisp and clear as ever into his ear. "Well look at that. The subspace radio must have been causing the signal interference after all." A return of functioning comms would save them all a lot of time on back-and-forths.

A quick trip back to the armory door, scarcely a few paces out of the bridge, Jace takes a closer look at it. His keen eye picks up a small inscribed set of letters and numbers near the bottom left hand corner of the door. It is indeed a serial or shipping ID of some kind. The inscription reads 'M-17-R3-CDC-L2'.

Passing the string of characters along on the comms, Jace is left to wait another couple of minutes. Then Baba announces over the comms, "Drivers should be reset to factory default. I'm sending the command override now." With a few keystrokes in the background of her side, the heavy armory door slides open. Inside, Marg is in the midst of pacing back and forth, while S'hax is seated on his many legs with bio-med plastered over a scattering of shrapnel wounds on his side. Tweezers covered in vruskan blood and similarly stained pieces of metal shrapnel sit on the floor next to him.

"Oh thank the stars," Marg breathes out in relief when the door opens to Jace standing on the other side.

Jace still had his laser rifle customarily dangling from the chest sling to be cradled in his arms as he moved around. So, he still looked all business and ready for action when the armory door opened.

He gestured for Marg and S'hax to get up and move towards him, "Alright, let's go. We have priority missions to work on and I want everyone save and getting medical attention before we continue dealing with this wreck."

He keyed the tactical comms so he could talk on the team channel. "This Jace, it looks like we have comms back on-line. Baba, we got he armory open."

"Carl, we have these two free and are heading up. We can evac everyone and get them back to medical personnel."

"Francis, bring my shuttle back in if you please."

He looked around in the armory for some additional weapons he could scrounge for their assault on the pirate's ship. They could always use some stun, tangler and dose grenades at least. HE also checked to see if there was a blaster SMG and ammo. It would not hurt to have a better weapon for combat in the native terrain later.

Character Info

SWADE Character Sheet

Weapon in hand: Laser Rifle

Galactic Standard Time: 06:22 am / Landfall Planetary Time: 13:35 am
Hours Remaining to Deadline: ~4

Party Members and Status

TeamD3.png.754e7534b219a5a4d77de301f93d68c3.png Command4.png.43ad1412f04e4b06aa149fd8971aec1e.png

Status

Aquilla Shuttle:

Vernon:
Francis:
Herbie:
Marg: 1/4 Bennies
S'hax: 1 Wound

The Sathar Dome:
Beth:
Becky:
Mox:
Kochinho:
Simba:

Kershkick Mound:
Kirby:
Felix:

Laura II Crash Site:
Corvid Shuttle: Landed on Laura II, fuel cut
Dove Shuttle: Moored at Laura II, fuel cut

Missing Escape Pod:

The armory is still well-stocked, and the munitions well-secured - they are not too scattered by the crash. With a swift search, Jace finds some cases of grenades in a storage container: a case with a half dozen stun grenades, one with a half dozen tanglers, and one with a half dozen dose. The metallic cases are compact, and between the many hands available, he, Marg and a limping S'hax can carry them easily.

Secured on a weapon rack, he grabs a blaster SMG and grabs a handful of three material blocks for the blaster. Each one provides enough firing material for the efficient weapon to last it quite a while, even if he were to treat it as a liberal bullet hose.

With the crew reassembled, they all assemble on the Aquilla shuttle as swiftly as they can, the clock ticking ever closer to the mercenary captain's deadline. It's packed inside with everyone together, even before accounting for the amount of space Geo takes up. "I'll be pushing the fuel harder with this much weight," Baba reports as they set off once more for the mainland. "Shame the others' lines were cut."

Hanna remains unconscious. Seated up against a corner wall and still restrained, her head leans back. "Should we wake her up and figure some of this out?" Marg suggests, scrunched up between Carl and Francis with her body thinned out to save space.

Jace shook his head, "Negative, let her stay out for now. We can leave her to be checked by the medical types later. At least I would want Tiki to look her over first, before any interrogation."

"We have to get on with our next mission before we lose the opportunity window. I am not sure whatever happened on Laura Two will change that plan. At least I am not planning to change any personnel assignments."

"Carl, take a few grenades and give Ferny some basic instruction. She might find them a good tool to use during our assault."

He tucked the blaster and ammo into his kit, still planning to stick with his laser rifle for the upcoming assault.

Character Info

SWADE Character Sheet

Galactic Standard Time: 06:55 am / Landfall Planetary Time: 14:08 am
Hours Remaining to Deadline: ~3.5

Party Members and Status

TeamD3.png.754e7534b219a5a4d77de301f93d68c3.png Command4.png.43ad1412f04e4b06aa149fd8971aec1e.png

Status

Aquilla Shuttle:

Vernon:
Francis:
Herbie:

The Sathar Dome:
Beth:
Becky:
Mox:
Kochinho:
Simba:

Kershkick Mound:
Kirby:
Felix:

Laura II Crash Site:

Missing Escape Pod:

Snapping his fingers and wagging one in the air, Carl nods. "Right, grenades. C'mere, Ferny, I'll show you how these work." He motions her over, and the kershkick slips easily through the tangle of bodies to reach his seat. Opening one of the cases, Carl shows her the exteriors and markings of each one. "This here's the 'pin'. After you pull this, there's a very short period before the grenade opens up and lets something out. These are dose grenades, they got a sorta smoke in them that puts folks to sleep..." The lesson goes on as he covers each type.

Steering the shuttle back towards land, Baba brings them as quickly as she can manage back to the mound. "Anyone we're dropping off before we get ready for the fight, besides Hanna?" she asks.

"Huh?" Francis perks up. "Wh- what fight?" He looks distinctly nervous with Geo in the shuttle, avoiding eye contact. Sweat might be a tell, if they weren't all sweaty from the tropical temperatures.

"We're going up," pointing her finger at the ceiling, Baba answers. "To take the mercenary ship that shot the Laura Two down. It's our only way off of this planet."

"Uh," his jaw hangs open a moment, "Right. That makes sense... did I forget that?" nervously rubbing the back of his neck, he adds, "I don't really like guns, not good with them either. I can carry her back in, so you don't need to waste time stopping!"

Soon, they do arrive, and Baba smoothly brings them down into the landing areas outside of the dome.

Jace pointed out, "Sorry, not everyone was briefed on the orbital assault plan. We only delayed that operation to find out what was happening with you all at the Laura Two and to collect S'hax for Team Bravo."

"The teams are set and we need to get ready for the final loading up in the respective shuttles. We shall only delay to have a final meeting before boarding up to go."

Once they had touched down, he sent out an all call on the tactical channels to assemble. To remind everyone the assignments were:

Team Alpha: Jace, Geo, Ferny, Carl, Kochinho, and Simba with Beth piloting.
Team Bravo: Baba, Tiki, Yat, Keita, Becky, and S'hax

Character Info

SWADE Character Sheet

Galactic Standard Time: 06:58 am / Landfall Planetary Time: 14:11 am
Hours Remaining to Deadline: ~3.5

Party Members and Status

Status

Aquilla Shuttle:

Vernon:
Francis:
Herbie:

The Sathar Dome:
Beth:
Becky:
Mox:
Kochinho:
Simba:

Kershkick Mound:
Kirby:
Felix:

Laura II Crash Site:

Missing Escape Pod:

"I'll help him bring Hanna into the village, then," Vernon confirms after being filled in on the plan, tilting his head towards Francis, who is calming down at the news he isn't expected to hit the battlefield. As Baba brings them down to the landing zone, he unbuckles and maneuvers his way through the back of the shuttle. Nodding and pulling off his own buckles, Francis follows his lead.

"I could come along if you need another capable hand?" reaching up with one of her malleable limbs, Marg forms it into a hand and wiggles the fingers, volunteering for the coming fight. "We can fit just about anywhere there's room, and S'hax's team might need the help with his injury and all." It's true that Tiki isn't in her top form, either. The Dove leader lingers to see Jace's response while the two men haul Hanna past gawking kershkicks around the lowered ramp.

Jace nodded, "Sorry, Marg. We need some to stay and watch those on the ground. You are the only team lead here and someone needs to be in charge. The only addition was are contemplating is adding Mox to Team Bravo for a medic that stays back in the shuttle. Otherwise we are pretty full up as it is."

"Let's mount up, we are losing time and we have to rendezvous back at the dome before we head up to orbit," he said to others and gestured for Baba to take them onwards.

Team Alpha: Jace, Geo, Ferny, Carl, Kochinho, and Simba with Beth piloting.
Team Bravo: Baba, Tiki, Yat, Keita, Becky, Mox, and S'hax

Character Info

SWADE Character Sheet

Galactic Standard Time: 08:02 am / Landfall Planetary Time: 15:15 am
Hours Remaining to Deadline: ~2.5

Party Members and Status

Status

Halcyon Merc Dropship Alpha:
Jace
Beth:
Kochinho:
Simba:

Aquilla Shuttle:
Herbie:
Becky:
Mox:

The Sathar Dome:

Kershkick Mound:
Vernon:
Francis:
Kirby:
Felix:

Laura II Crash Site:

Missing Escape Pod:

Though she gives a disappointed shrug, Marg doesn't waste time arguing over it. She steps off of the shuttle alongside the others and waves. "Good luck, then. I'll make sure everybody behaves."

The ramp closes, and Baba wastes no time getting them into the air. The time crunch is visible getting to her, posture tense and brow furrowed. Pulling switches and adjusting the throttle, she speeds up towards the dome. An equally quiet atmosphere hangs over the hold now that the fight is imminent, broken up by the whispers of Carl showing Ferny how more pieces of equipment work, his voice hushed as if speaking in church.

On approach, Baba hails the ground with her short-range comms, "We're just about there. Have everyone outside and ready to go, we don't have a lot of wiggle room as is."

Zooming above the dome clearing with howling engines to announce them, the crew lands. Those on the ground have assembled outside, double checking their equipment. Beth is pacing back and forth, rubbing her face.

Halcyon shuttle and the remaining mercenary dropship both remain parked, but the latter is fired up and ready to take off. "Alright, do or die time," Beth says, audible strain in her voice, stepping onto her dropship with Alpha Team. Ferny and Carl follow Jace on board, Geo taking up the rear behind Simba and Kochinho, scrunching up his large shape to fit in the open floor at the center of the vehicle. It leaves little leg room. "I'm ready to take off," Beth reports once everyone who can is buckled in, and those left are lashed down carefully with cargo straps to avoid being hurled by exit velocity.

"Clear to take off here," Baba's voice is audible over the radio. Both shuttles begin their ascent.

"When we get to the hanger, I don't know if anyone will be there to greet us," Beth mentions. "For our ship's size, there aren't a lot of crew left with all the losses."

"Means an easier fight," Kochinho optimistically suggests. True to Marg's statement about dralasites, his gear is taking up more room than he is.

"And more ground to cover, and harder to track them all down," Simba groans. "Really not looking forward to this, but..." what can you do, he leaves unvoiced.

Soon the G-forces pressing them become too much for conversation, pushing up past Landfall's atmosphere.

Jace stayed near Beth in the drop-ship, able to keep good tabs on the pilot and be ready to hear and reply as the situation evolved on their assault.

"I hope you are correct in that they are too busy to greet us with more than a few people... though, it might be better if they do so we can take them out right away with numbers and then maybe not have to fight through the ship compartment to compartment. Hopefully, we can just make them surrender once we have the numbers on board."

"Let's see how things go on the ascent and what the conversation is like when we check in. Do we need to let them know we are coming inbound?"

He checked to see if they could have secure communication via their tactical comms between the assault teams.

Team Assignments

Alpha: Jace, Geo, Ferny, Carl, Kochinho, and Simba with Beth piloting.
Bravo: Baba, Tiki, Yat, Keita, Becky, Mox, and S'hax

Character Info

SWADE Character Sheet