Chapter I: Escape from Elturgard

Gregorotto

Immediately the group gets to work, showing themselves to be every bit as forward as they might have been prior to this: they are reliable above all things. Well, except for Grug, who is snoring loudly somewhere else: perhaps better to let him rest. Silvia does not join them either, too concerned with the injured, but Niri more than proves up to aiding them.

Questions are wise, and the crowd, dispersing at Ghorrin's insistence, head onward. Fortunately, Dara has an answer from her observance of the crowd. "From what the crowd was saying, the last person to see him alive seems to have been Vasha. Someone mentioned seeing her speaking with Billiam a little before deepnightA common Faerunian term for midnight. Another mentioned that young fellow, Pal. Perhaps once you are done there, start with one of those two?" Ghorrin nods in agreement. "Hastrine was acting strangely, too; I saw them near the east side of camp after they went into trance. On a walk, of sorts. Wellum has been moody since his arrival, so perhaps confront him or ask Gordrick privately. Ippon might have some insights, too, she's been hard at work. That Vollis... I don't know about her. Perhaps you could speak to her, but I can't say if she'd know anything."

All of this is said while the group searches. Keryn can confirm seeing Hastrine on their walk: they had a forlorn look in their eye as they wandered. While Gaerzil ponders, the only thing he can definitively say is that the markings on Billiam's chest are very ritualized, and were part of a magical ritual of some sort: but whether they were carved before or after his throat was slit remains unseen. To the others, who all agree Billiam the poet's notes might contain hints of what had happened, there is an oddity: the notebook they spent so much time collecting the parts for is missing.

What they can ascertain from the scene is that the fire was extinguished: there is clear signs of water to get rid of the flames and dampen the wood, smoke still rising from the scorched oaken fire. Beyond that, there's no real sign of footsteps: the crowd, before they were controlled, trampled too much. There are pairs of footsteps moving to Billiam's tent, coming and going, but always solitary beneath the trampling: is that proof of someone visiting him prior to his death? Did that someone kill him?

Ghorrin and Dara look to one another, and then the group.

Out of Character

Alright, a helpful guide in going about the search:

• Dara and Ghorrin-Humans from Amn or further south; Dara claims to be a Chosen of Ilmater, and Ghorrin her mentor, they go to BG based on a vision; met in the Prologue
  • Vasha and Segren-Met in the Fabled Fawn in Part 1; owners of the Fabled Fawn Inn, both humans. Vasha is a people person and de facto leader of the caravan; Segren is in a coma from a horse kick to the head
  • Hastrine-Nonbinary elf, they were with Vasha in Part 1 at the Fabled Fawn; aloof and capricious, much like the Feywild they love
  • Wellum and Gordrick-Middle-aged human blacksmith and his dwarven apprentice, met in Part 2; Gordrick took a wound to the head from the cultists of Dispater
  • Vollis-Human who happened to be near the smithy; knew about the cultists of Dispater. Distant, quiet. Met in Part 2
  • Ippon and Pal-Halfling Miller and her human apprentice, met in Part 3. Ippon is practical and either critical or jealous of Vasha; Pal is morbid but seemingly harmless
  • Billiam-Human poet, the deceased.

Search as you all see fit! Roll as you need.

cHP4Kvz.png

Name: Hravin Snaefoss | Race/Class: Human Cleric 2 | HP: 21/21 AC: 14 PP: 13 SS: 0/3

Hravin rubs his fingertips through his thin beard, a strange sort of meditative motion when he was in thought about something he found particularly interesting. That a man was seemingly murdered was not that interesting in and of itself, horrifying and unjust though it may be. That there is, or in fact was, a notebook of some importance to Billiam dominated his mental butter churning. "The absense of a thing often speaks more than the thing itself," he mused.

"Gaerzil!" he uttered, snapping his posture rigid as though the candle of Denier had shot straight up his arse and lit a blaze of thought in his brain, "What do you recall of ritualistic magicks or ancient rites that involve the binding, penning and burning of a book?" With his thought process now outloud, Hravin began to plunder the depths of his own studies, trying to remember what he knew about such rituals and looking for any patterns or details that might connect the dots of this decidedly messy scene.

OOC

Noticing the notebook is gone (possibly burned?), Hravin Arcana Checks anything he learned from his Candlekeep days about book-burning.

Action:

Bonus: Look for Papers II: Electric Boogaloo

Movement: Check inside and around the tent

Name
Arcana Check
1d20+5 17

token_1-2.png.787bd575645206ea3ebb0c28bcc2ce92.pngKeryn Donnathlascen

Moon Elf Rogue 

AC: 14 (Leather) | HP: 17/17 () | HD: 2/2 | Speed: 30 ft. | Initiative: +3
Senses: Passive Perception 12, Insight 14, Investigation 10. Darkvision 60ft.
Str: 10 (+0) | Dex: 17 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 10 (+0) | Cha: 14 (+2)
Languages: Common, Elven, Chondathan, Illuskan, Draconic, Thieves' Cant

Of course the notebook, which had cost Keryn so much pain and dignity both, was missing. At least the only one who had witnessed his difficulties in crossing the river had left, though the Goliath had appeared a consummate survivor at home in the wilderness. His loss may prove regretful as they travelled to Baldur's Gate. Unable to add much to Gaerzil's assessment of the runes, Keryn stands. "I'll go speak to Hastrine," he volunteers, "I saw her once tonight already". For starters the N'Tel’Quessir may simply misunderstand elven behaviour, for second he would much prefer speaking with his kin, and for third the woman was clearly Feytouched which may be all that was needed to explain her odd behaviour. The quicker they ruled out suspects the quicker they could enlist their help. "I never trusted Vollis either, something off when we met her though I couldn't say what," he volunteered more quietly before leaving. The last thing they needed was a witch hunt.

He moved silently through the camp, a moonlight shadow, till he found Hastrine. Subtly guiding her away from prying eyes, he began in elven "A dark night in dark times, it seems daherow stalk amongst our camp. How do you fare?"

OOC

Action: Gently interrogate Hastrine about what's bothering her, and if she saw anything.

Bonus Action: -

Movement: -

Reaction: Absorb Elements if required

Object Interaction: -

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Rapier . Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 + 3 piercing damage.

Booming Blade . Melee Weapon Attack: +1d8 Thunder damage if creature moves.

Dagger [2] . Thrown/Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4 + 3 piercing damage.

Shortbow . Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 + 3 piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Cunning Action . Your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.

Reactions:

Absorb Elements 1/1

Class Features:

Sneak Attack . Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

spacer.png

Niri Silverstag, gutsy as he was, came up to Dara and Ghorrin and after what felt like to him a laundry list of names and figures for questioning. “I think I’ll ask you some questions, if you don’t mind. I think I’ll start with him.” he said pointing to Ghorrim. Giving him a curious look, Niri asked “These symbols carved on Mr. Billiam’s corpse, do you know anything about them? If they’re religious, I’m sure you or Ms. Dara here ought to know a thing or two about them.”

Niri Silverstag

Character Sheet

HP: 13

AC: 18

Passive Perception: 12

Ongoing Effects:

Conditions:

OOC

Situational:

Move:

Action: I want to find out if maybe there’s something that Dara and Ghorrim know about the symbols on Billiam’s body after he was murdered. I made an Insight roll, if that’s what applies.

Bonus Action:

Reaction:

Ongoing Effects/Conditions:

Name
Insight
1d20 2

Gaerzil-300x400.jpgGaerzil | HP 12/12 | AC 16 | Initiative +3 | Passive Perception 11
Spell Slots: 1st Level 3/3
Active Effects: N/A

Hravin's question about rituals involving the burning of a book makes Gaerzil rub his chin thoughtfully. He tries to recall anything he's heard about such things, and shares with the scholarly priest anything he remembers reading about the subject.

He nods in agreement with Keryn's parting words about not trusting Vollis. She certainly seems the most obvious suspect. Perhaps even too obvious. If I could convince someone to distract her, I could take a surreptitious look at her personal belongings...

"Kilros, a word?"
he asks, approaching the other tiefling. He puts a hand on the paladin's shoulder and leans in to speak quietly to him. "I think someone should speak to Vollis. Preferably some distance away from and out of line of sight of her possessions. Could I ask for your assistance?"

Name
Arcana to recall information about book burning rituals
1d20+5 5
Stealth to sneak a peak at Vollis' possessions
1d20+5 14
Investigate to investigate Vollis' stuff
1d20+5 5

Plans begin to form, and it starts in the camp.

spacer.pngGaerzil, Niri, and Hravin begin by looking around for clues, the former and latter looking for signs of paper, but in so doing they find nothing new: there's no burned paper, no journal, nothing of the group's hard work. Niri, thinking wisely, begins to interrogate Dara and Ghorrin, starting with the shepherd. He grins ruefully; Dara, meanwhile, nods before they go to privacy. "Trusting no one in this matter is the wisest of courses. Ask Ghorrin his questions, and then me." He does so, asking Ghorrin about the symbols, but Ghorrin just shrugs, nodding to Dara. "I'm not the Chosen. I wouldn't know Elvish from Dethek, Infernal from Abyssal." As Hravin looks at the ritualized markings, finding nothing new, Dara comes over, leaning down and studying it. "The markings here, they're crudely drawn Infernal letters. I can't read it myself, but follow along: it's a trigger word of some powerful spell." The hint helps: but mage and Avowed suddenly see the system at work, a hybrid of conjuration and transmutation, with a hint of abjuration. It deals with the channeling of a type of spirit: a summoning? No, not from another plane, but from somewhere else... where? Perhaps understanding Infernal would help... which Gaerzil does. It says plainly: Release.

Someone was releasing something from within Billiam. But what? Was the poet aware of it?

From there, it is determined they need to speak to others. Niri decides to stay with Dara and Ghorrin asking more questions and as an incentive to keep whoever the killer is away from someone like Dara: Chosen are not always active participants in violence, but they can often be the victims of it. As Gaerzil plots to see Vollis' tent up close without her being there, Keryn decides to seek out the one soul he knows has a solid alibi, hoping it could shed some light on the behavior of others. Hastrine does look somewhat distressed, and at Keryn's question, they smile.

"Amin fare eithel faarea, nosse.  Amin naa beien rashwe: amin gorga tanya amin beien tyara hiraetha e' others: karna sen delotha.  Amin uma il- wish ta: lye ume il- caela such 'ksh- e' i' Feywild.  Ikotane amin went ten' y' vana: amin elee Vasha quena a' Billiam, re aaye a' amin.  Amin uma il- sinta Billiam eithel: mernaya ho ba? amin elee ho quena a' Vollis ar' Ippon vee' eithel.  Lotesse ron can nyara lle."I fare well enough, kindred. I am troubled: I fear that I cause strife in others: make them quarrel. I do not wish it: we did not have such evil in the Feywild. So I went for a walk: I saw Vasha speaking to Billiam, she waved to me. I do not know Billiam well: who would want him dead? I saw him speak to Vollis and Ippon as well. Perhaps they can tell you.

Meanwhile, the tiefling duo heads to Vollis' tent, Kilros taking her aside to speak with her and asking questions regarding the murder and if she knows anything. "Such a pity: I did not know the poet, but I hope he finds peace in the Grey City as he awaits Judgement. No, I only saw him speaking to Vasha. She seems erratic, on edge: I think the stress of her husband's health is getting to her. We spoke earlier, I offered to help some with the caravan to take pressure off of her, but she did not seem particularly interested in speaking with me and so I left. I did see that miller's apprentice, what was his name? Pal? He came to Billiam when we were first setting up camp and took some paper from him. I wonder what that was about?"

The line of questioning is good for Gaerzil's approach, as he quietly infiltrates her tent: but he finds little of value. Multiple purses, now combined into one; a knife, looking like it was made by Wellum, from the marks on the hilt; some clothes of dark red, but nothing is out of place. And most important? There is no journal here.

Moon Elf Rogue 

Str: 10 (+0) | Dex: 17 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 10 (+0) | Cha: 14 (+2)

"Amin naa sorry lle utua rashwe beien hae- tuulo' i' oira ndor,I am sorry you are troubled so away from the eternal lands," he replies carefully, "Amin caela il- wanwa, nan' amin ume nowa eller nae 'ksh- nosse sal' yassene. I' Unseeliethough I have never visited, I did think there were those of a darker bent still within. The Unseelie." He glances over his shoulder, as if wary to summon any further enemy upon the camp. "Uuma dela,Nevermind..." he moves swiftly on, "Amin il- onaya nowe a' gwaith sinome. I' quick ones dona hini - ron tul a ar' auta yassen ai focus ri' patience, sen tiri runya gutterien sina men ar' tanya e' i' lightest en' sul. Sen -dur nauva n'ataya nir' ner am' amin sintaI would not put too much stock in the opinions of the others here. The Quick Ones are like children - they come and go with little focus or patience, their bright flames guttering this way and that in the lightest of breezes. Their opinions shall change several times yet I've no doubt."

He walks a little longer with Hastrine, breathing the clean night air away from the panic and bustle of the camp, before excusing himself. "Amin quena a' vasha vee' lle nyaraya. Lle sinta he` eithel? naa eller anythien lle nyaraya amin en' he`?Forgive me, I should talk to Vasha as you suggest. You know her well? Better than a simple customer at least. Is there anything you could tell me of her character?"

OOC

Action: -

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Rapier . Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 + 3 piercing damage.

Dagger [2] . Thrown/Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4 + 3 piercing damage.

Shortbow . Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 + 3 piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Cunning Action . Your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.

Reactions:

Absorb Elements 1/1

Class Features:

Sneak Attack . Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

Gaerzil-300x400.jpgGaerzil | HP 12/12 | AC 16 | Initiative +3 | Passive Perception 11

With no journal or other incriminating evidence to be found, Gaerzil eyes the coin purse. Before he came under Master Greenapple's tutelage he would have taken it without a second thought and snickered at the foolishness of anyone who would leave such a prize unguarded. He's better than that now, though, and resists the temptation. He can't deny that it's still there, though.

He sneaks back out the way he came to rendezvous with the others and share what he's learned. "I found no evidence that Volis is the culprit. Further, I believe the victim must have been cursed some time prior to his death, perhaps prior to our meeting him. The runes inscribed on his body form the Infernal word for 'release.' This may mean that he was carrying something within him--something he may have had no knowledge of--which burst out of him when the runes were either inscribed or, perhaps, activated. We should inspect others for similar markings, I think, and quickly."

cHP4Kvz.png

Name: Hravin Snaefoss | Race/Class: Human Cleric 2 | HP: 21/21 AC: 14 PP: 13 SS: 0/3

"The absence of a thing, indeed," Hravin muttered to himself upon realizing that wherever Billiam's journal was, it certainly was not in his tent any longer.

Which had to mean it was taken.

Thanking Gaerzil for his input, he watched thoughtfully as the Tiefling went on to other things, pursuing his own leads, perhaps. Wizards always surprised Hravin with their aptitude for sneakery, where any stealthiness Hravin had in him was generally accidental. We all walk in shadow from time to time, he supposed.

Exiting the tent, Hravin looks around at the small groups that have formed, opening his senses a bit to anything that might reveal itself as a thread to tug. Little is gained from his efforts. He sighs.

Before letting his mind wander too much, he decided to take inspiration from the others and question someone. Anyone. Looking around, he spied the Miller Ippon among the crowd, still slowly dispersing. The Miller and her apprentice were relatively new acquantainces, though Hravin felt he had no immediate reason to distrust the Halfling. She had struck him as honest, thus far, but his interaction with her was limited.

"Ippon, a word please?" he called as he jogged over to her, "I believe you might be of service. You seem the observant type, and certainly more familiar with these roads than myself. Did you know Billiam? I am curious if you were aware of any dealings he might have had with arcane practitioners, or perhaps even dabbled a bit himself. Did you, or Pal even, see anything in the hours leading up to nightfall that might indicate he had habits of a darker nature?"

OOC

He makes a general Perception Check once outside the tent, looking/listening for any bits of conversation or odd behavior that might be worth persuing

Hravin, a little in the dark about what to do next, decides to question someone. That someone happens to be Ippon.

Action:

Bonus:

Movement:

Name
Perception
1d20+3 5

Hastrine: Friends of Friends

At mention of the Gloaming Court of the Unseelie Fey, Hastrine laughs, shaking their head. "RonElven: They are a different kind of darkness. Still beautiful in their terrible existence naa y' n'ataya nostale en' huine.  Sal' vanima e' sen mori beien." To worries of what the "Quick Ones" opine about, Hastrine feels they have not communicated the real problem. "If only it were so simple as that. AminElven: I have take two hearts without meaning to. They fight over me, without asking me. caela  sana atta mela avaene merna a'.  Ron cronha ten' amin, avaene maa ie' amin. What am I to do?" They shake their head. "But that is my problem, not yours."

The final question comes, and Hastrine considers for a moment thoughtfully. "VashaElven: Vasha is kind. She cares for others. She's not like anyone else. A good leader. When I first returned from Faerie, she took me in. Cared for me. She loves her husband. I worry for her. naa nostale.  Re malia ten' nosse.  Re il- ve' ai'.  Y' quel cora.  Iire amin yeste' entule tuulo' Faerie, re sane amin e'.  Malie ten' amin.  Re mela he` verno'.  Amin dela ten' he`." With that, Hastrine bows to Keryn and continues their nocturnal walk, carefree and thoughtful.

Vollis: Marks of Darkness

Once Kilros is done, he and Gaerzil reconvene, finding frustration. The martial tiefling reveals what he has found: Vollis was deeply consolatory about Billiam but didn't know him, just as she knows no one here. She did see two people visiting Billiam: Pal, who was quick and courteous, and Vasha, who seemed rash and frantic. When she spoke to Vasha while the caravan was moving, Vollis offered to help more with the caravan: a way to get to know people and help out. Vasha said she'd consider how best to use her talents.

All of which was nice, but something was off about Vollis. She seemed like a completely different person from the woman they met on the road: lacksidaisical, almost. She didn't care about Billiam, she didn't talk to Vasha about helping out, and something tells Kilros the mention of Vasha being "erratic" might have been a lie, too. While Gaerzil found nothing, Kilros trusts his gut: something is off about this woman, but then that's always been true. Now, there's something off even about the little they know about her.

Gaerzil mentions markings, but Kilros ponders: how will they find something like that?

Ippon: Ranting of Raving

Hravin, heading onward, goes to Ippon, whom he finds working on her cart with her wares. She looks up and smiles at the former Avowed, but shakes her head.

"Damn dark business, that. A shame, I didn't really know Billiam. Knew he moved in, knew he had a heightened sense of self importance, that one day he'd 'change the world' with his writing. Looks like that's not happening now. I will say... a few days ago, and this evenin', I did hear Billiam talking to himself. Saying something right frightful things about himself. Let's see.... 'Worthless, useless... if you can't make something worthwhile, you're as good as dead: might as well have been fodder for Avernus.' Real down on himself. None of this would've happened if Vasha weren't in charge. Frantic, worried about that dolt of a husband. She's carrying to much weight to try and show off: we don't need a show off, we need someone with the capabilities to lead!" She leaves off just who that is, but Hravin can manage who she thinks should be in charge.

Nearby, Hravin hears a yell: "Liar!" Both Ippon and Hravin turn their attention to a sight two carts over, where they see the bound cultist, hands and feet tied and mouth gagged, watching as Pal takes a fist to the face, Wellum's face red with fury: a fight breaks out.

Ippon sighs, shaking her head. "Nine Hells."

cHP4Kvz.png

Listening to Ippon's words, Hravin's mind latches to the mutterings she overheard from Billiam. "He was alone, then? Or, perhaps talking to someone unseen...well, at any rate, I appreciate your eyes and ears. We need all the help we can get in putting this matter to re---"

The shout of "Liar!" cuts his thought. Turning to the commotion, he mutters to Ippon "Gods, now what..."

Breaking into a run, Hravin rushes to Wellum to catch the man's arm before another punch can be thrown.

"What is the meaning of this! Speak, Wellum!" he demands, face ripe with concern for both of them.

OOC

Hravin intervenes in the fight and tries to be intimidating. Hilarity ensues.

Action:

Bonus:

Movement:

Name
Athletics
1d20+2 7
Intimidation
1d20-1 14

15db87f7234cb3659c849826814290cf.jpgGwen | HP 26/26 | AC 18 | Initiative +0 | Passive Perception 12
Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 0/1

Gwen stays at the murder scene, studying Billiam's tent and looking for any additional clues they may have missed. She doesn't come up with anything and word is that everyone else is accounted for. If the murderer didn't come from outside, then they're still here...

"Liar!"

Gwen turns her gaze to the fight. "Oh gods," she mutters. The half orc hustles over to the scene where Hravin his holding an enraged Wellum back. Pal clutches his face where the blacksmith struck him.

Gwen's eye narrows on the smith. "Explain yourself, Wellum," she says, her voice iron. Pal can mouth off, sure, but what could he have said that would send Wellum into a rage? A brawl is the last thing they need to be dealing with in this moment.

Moon Elf Rogue 

Where Hastrine drifts, Keryn takes off with characteristic purpose: cutting through the caravan like a ship in the night. He swiftly comes upon Vasha, relatively reassured by the troubled fey Hastrine. He doubted someone with a good heart would be the killer, those sort do not truck with devils usually - though more foolish things have been done in the name of love...

"Vasha!" He greets the innkeeper as she tends to her husband, running a hand softly through his hair over darkened bruise. "I'm sure you have heard of tonights events already. Were you anywhere near his tent? Will you shed any light upon this dark matter?" He stands, seemingly entirely comfortable in his poised posture as he fixes her with silvered eyes.

OOC

Action: -

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

Reactions:

Absorb Elements 1/1

Class Features:

Vollis may be suspicious, but whatever her secret is, Gaerzil doesn't believe her to be the culprit. He leaves Kilros to his ponderings and proceeds with a plan of his own.

Finding several pieces of parchment and a quill, he draws the sigil he found on Billiam's body over and over until he has a stack of examples ready to distribute. He then begins making rounds about the camp, distributing his makeshift flyer to anyone who seems to have the mental faculties to understand the situation. "Take this. Examine yourselves and the bodies of those you travel with. If you see any markings like these, come to me immediately."

He refuses to answer any further questions; once he's done distributing his flyers, he returns to the scene of Billiam's murder to wait for the others to reconvene.

Gaerzil: Distribution

Reproducing the strange markings on Billiam's body, the tiefling goes on the grotesque path of trying to learn more about it. Distributing these around the camp and directing people to find him if they know more, he waits for the others, hearing of conflict nearby, as Niri and now an awakened Grug help Dara and Ghorrin, Silvia now moving to help people mourn and heal in their way. Gaerzil, not being a people person, has done what he can.

Pal and Wellum: Affairs of the Heart

Quickly Hravin and Gwen convene on the fight, pulling the youth and the blacksmith apart. Both look flushed and ready for a deeper scrap, but hold back: Pal's face is already swelling from that colossal punch.

Wellum, confronted, speaks, his speech clearly slurred; Gwen detects he's had perhaps a bit too much Tethyrian whiskey. "He's got that letter there, stole off that Billiam fella! Look, he's not even tryin' to hide it! He killed'em and stole that from Billiam!"

Flushed and frustrated, Pal explodes. "No I didn't! Billiam had a way with words! For days now he's been helping me... write a poem. I was writing for someone. But now, I don't even want it. Whatever soul was in that poem has been sucked out of it: I'll use my own words. Here." He hands the poem to Hravin, who can clearly see this is what Pal says it is: multiple drafts of a love poem.

I stand on the edge of the forest of you,
Content to bask in your light
Never have I felt so serene as when I stand by your yew,
Bright in the cold dark night

You hail from another world, it is plain for any to see
your radiance comes off of you so naturally:
So I tell you this now, enraptured and enthralled,
And ask that you heart be mine.

Wellum scoffs as Pal pouts. "You're not just gonna take his word for it, are you!?"

Vasha: Dear Diary

Vasha looks up from her husband with a start, her hand shooting to her lap when Keryn says her name. Seeing his eyes move to the object in her lap, she looks like a trapped animal suddenly, then, looking around, beckons the elf closer. "Come here. I need to show someone this."

Keryn needs to see no more: he clearly recognizes the journal Billiam made from the parchment collected earlier that day.

"I don't know where this came from. When we stopped, I... gods, I feel awful. I was walking by Billiam's tent and he was muttering, such awful things about himself. So I got onto him, told him we don't need that kind of negativity and it will rub off on others: that he has more to offer than those terrible things he was saying! He laughed me off and I rushed back to Segren and... my tent's flap had been opened and I assumed someone came in. I cleaned his wound and then the screams went out and Billiam was dead and... gods, I realized that the disturbed tent flap wasn't someone looking for me. I came in here and looked around and found this." She hands the journal to Keryn without any resistance. "I've been reading it. The meter is odd, and it's mostly just a retelling of today, but.... he had some skill. And now he's gone. This is my fault, and what does it mean? That his journal showed up here!? Is someone trying to say... that I did it!? That I killed Billiam!?"