Chapter I: Escape from Elturgard

Gregorotto

Grug (Goliath Barbarian) Level: 1spacer.png

AC: 14 | HP: 12/12 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 14 | DM Inspiration:

Watching the rest of the lemurs fall to his new tribe, Grug grunts, “Who’s your new devil now, filthy beasts?”  He spits on the body by his feet and goes deeper into the inn, trying to discern what the lemurs were after.

Mechanics

Main Hand:
Off Hand: Battle Axe

Action: Perception (Perception.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: draw javelin

Name
(Perception
SyntaxError: Unexpected token )
1d20+2)
Perception
1d20+2 2

⛧ Round V ⛧

spacer.pngThe last lemure falls in a combination of booming blast and Gwen's careful blade, the elf and half-orc working in tandem to destroy the last infernal vestige in this place. Quickly, Gwen and Grug head to the door to determine if Vasha is back there, and indeed, she is, the smell of brimstone fading with the last of the baatezu fading from this plane and back to their plane of origin. At Gwen's voice, Vasha talks back. "Gwen? Is that you? Shit and ashes, hold on." She's been crying, and the sound of things moving against the floor can be heard on the other side of the door: she had barricaded herself in there. Opening the door, she rushes out, joined by an elf of androgynous character; she throws her arms around Gwen, crying into her shoulder. "I thought they... I thought they were going to get to us...." The woman, dark-haired with olive Tethyrian skin and hints of gray on her hair, opens bright blue blood-shot eyes, and looks at her saviors. "Thank you—every one of you."spacer.png

She turns to her companion, introducing them. "This is Hastrine, Hastrine Leaftender." Hastrine bows, taking over. Tall with elven ears poking behind hair of fire, they wear hints of the Feywild on their attire, smelling of herbs unseen. Their nerves are clearly more at ease. "A pleasure to make your acquaitance, and... oh my, is that...?" They direct everyone's attention to the stairs, where a shadow begins to descend: soon a bald robed man appears, dart at the ready; and impressed as she is, Silvia has to head on and check on their companions: she turns, heading out the door. Vasha steps from Gwen, reassured that the others are going after her husband. "Master Snaefoss, well-met: these fine people saved us from... what were those things? And what's going on outside, what's happened near Elturel? Are we under attack?" This far from the city, it must not be known exactly how bad it is.

Back at the barn, Gaerzil finds his muscles and heaves as best he can before charging back through the fire, the horses behind Kilros charging out of the barn and heading to relative safety at last. The two tieflings make for the exit, Kilros getting Gaerzil and Segren ahead of him, the mage carrying the unconscious man out the door. His timing is excellent, but Kilros' sacrifice comes with a price: as he approaches the door, a beam from the burning ceiling above collapses, falling: he'll have to be careful to avoid itA beam falls from above. You must succeed on a DC
12 Dexterity saving throw or take 2d6 bludgeoning
damage.
. Outside, Silvia joins them, and it becomes apparent to everyone the massive horseshoe-sized wound on the man's forehead. Silvia says a healing word to her patron and goddess, yet though the bruise disappears, Segren does not wake: the wound goes deeper than mere bone and brain.

Out of Character

And end combat! Excellent work, folks, and you saved Segren in the nick of time (you had until round 7 to get him out of there).

Kilros, resolve the beam potentially falling on you, and then let's wrap up Part 1 as we can: you lot are zooming through this!

Feel free to do any checks regarding Segren's wound, on Vasha and Hastrine, and on each other as needed.

token_1-2.png.787bd575645206ea3ebb0c28bcc2ce92.pngKeryn Donnathlascen

Moon Elf Rogue 

AC: 14 (Leather) | HP: 10/10 () | HD: 1/1 | Speed: 30 ft. | Initiative: +3
Senses: Passive Perception 12, Insight 14, Investigation 10. Darkvision 60ft.
Str: 10 (+0) | Dex: 17 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 10 (+0) | Cha: 14 (+2)
Languages: Common, Elven, Chondathan, Illuskan, Draconic, Thieves Cant

As the last lemurs falls Keryn steps back, careful to still keep his rapier drawn. Who knew what other threats has erupted with the city? He was grateful that the survivors seemed to know the half-orc at least, he wasn't sure he had the patience to deal with hysterical N'Tel'Quessir right now. "Adequately fought," he concedes to Gwen over his shoulder as he scans the room, still alert. "I'd perhaps even go as far as well fought. More discipline than I'd expected for such a weapon. The axe is usually much more savage. Who did you say you fought with again?" he asks as the sounds of sliding furniture grate on his hearing.

The appearance of Hastrine catches his attention however, she seems far more composed than this Vasha. A worthy trait. Similarly this Master Snaefoss at the top of the stairs, who came cautiously but prepared for combat. Though he does wonder why the man took so long to join them. Cowardice, complicity or simply sleeping like a boar?

With no immediate sign of further combat, he sheaths his rapier, and straightens his cloak. "Keryn Donnathlascen, Scion of Myth Drannor, and Courtier of Baldurs Gate at present," he introduces himself formally to both parties, before slipping back to the northern door to retrieve his shortbow. He once again slings it over his shoulder, concealing it beneath his ultramarine cloak. "Not so much under attack as defeated I would say," he answers the elf bluntly. "Elturel is no more. A Chosen of Ilmater is leading what refugees we can find to Baldur's Gate."

OOC

Action: -

Bonus Action: —

Movement: -

Reaction: -

Object Interaction: -

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Rapier . Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 + 3 piercing damage.

Booming Blade . Melee Weapon Attack: +1d8 Thunder damage if creature moves.

Dagger [2] . Thrown/Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4 + 3 piercing damage.

Shortbow . Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 + 3 piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Reactions:

Absorb Elements 1/1

Class Features:

Sneak Attack . Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

XAIlHMJ.png

Name: Hravin Snaefoss | Race/Class: Human Monk | HP: 11/11 AC: 15 PP: 12 Ki: 0

Better Late Than Never

Hravin's survey told him he was too late.

"My apologies!" he gasped to Hastrine as he reached the bottom of the stairs. Looking to the others. "And the rest of you, I should say. Forgive me for my exhaustion overtaking my good sense. I should have remained awake and alert, but yesterday's trek left me...well, no more useful than one of these sickly lumps of...gods, you left them unrecognizable! Well done, and with my thanks!"

His nose wrinkled as he tried to identify the creatures. There was vague familiarity, but his general studies in indetification tended more towards flora than fauna. It was the former that had accidentally kept him awake even later than he'd intended, prior to retiring to his rented closet. Hastrine had plenty to say about the plants endemic to the Feywild, a place that Hravin had only read about in books, most poorly illustrated even by the author's account. Let it be known that Hravin was never one to turn down good conversation, no matter how tired he was.

Nodding to each in turn as introductions continued, Keryn struck him as a fellow wordsmith, although it may be too soon to tell. A Scion, no less, although such titles tended to register as a mild curiosity in Hravin's world, and not much else. Where he came from, there were those that served, and those that needed serving. There wasn't much a need for those on the bottom to distiguish those on the top when you cut through all the bluster.

Later May Never Come

Things seemed to be calming down, although there was still commotion outside, mildly so. Still, he felt slightly outside it all. Something lingered in his mind, the way a burr sticks to clothing and scratches at the skin every few movements, distracting in a strangly dim way. Something Keryn had said...

Elturgard is no more...

"Sorry, what?" Hravin broke in. "What do you mean? Elturgard is no more?" He did little to contain the growing mix of anguish and disbelief on his face. His purpose for this trip had been to meet his brother, Glott, in Elturgard, known to have lived there last they spoke, which admittedly was years ago. But the idea that something had happened, that his brother could be gone, sat like a heaving demon on his chest, staring him down as he suffocated in the realization. This could not be true, and yet each word the Moon Elf had said carried the currency of fact, somehow.

OOC

Hravin meets those in the Fabled Fawn, then realizes something happened in Elturgard and awaits an explination. Or comfort. Or both.

Action:

Bonus:

Movement:

Edited by dwargstof (see edit history)

Grug looks around, but only sees a tavern in disarray and scared patrons. He looks at his bloody and bruised form. Maybe they had something to fear, after all.

Upon seeing the smaller, scared beings, he slouched a little to seem less imposing. “Grug glad to help. Will have fine new scars!” he adds excitedly. Upon seeing the dark man with the weapon, his grip on his axe tightens, muscles readying to leap and slash. Only the recognition of the man by the woman forestalled his reaction. “Hrm…don’t know about attack, but where city was is now a pit. Probably where these swine came from, or some other rock,” he says with a satisfied nod

Mechanics

Main Hand: Battle Axe
Off Hand: 

Action:
Manipulate:

Hastrine laughs despite the situation they were just in. "Oh, we nearly died, Hravin, you didn't miss much." They wink, before the dark nature of today's events are reveal.

Elturel is gone. Elturgard is in shambles.

Vasha and Hastrine look to one another. "Gone? Gone? Gwen, is... are they telling the truth? Gone??"

Vasha moves to a seat and sits, the shock setting in. "Generations of Elturgardians in my family, in Sergen's... and Elturel is gone? A crater? What does... those... things... Did some archfiend take it? I don't understand." Hastrine is less shocked, their face a whimsical mix of worry and deep interest. "I've heard of such things happening with the Feywild, when things get too close to Faerie or if a Lord or Lady of Winter or Summer strikes a powerful bargain... if those were baatezu, then that must have been a deal made with an archfiend. Asmodeus, perhaps?" Vasha isn't one to speculate. "Those poor people, we have to join them. A Chosen of Ilmater? It would be Ilmater, bless it... We'd be in good hands, and I would know a lot of those people." She pauses. "Should... should we go check on your friends? On... Segren?" It's almost as if she's asking for permission, wringing her hands.

spacer.pngSilvia Star - Aasimar Celestial Warlock
AC: 14 / HP: 10 / Perception: 11 / Insight 13
Healing Light: 1d6 (0/2) || Spell Slots: 1/1 || Bless (0/1)

Silvia knelt over Segren as his wounds seemed to heal without any signs of the mans recovering. Puzzled she lowers herself to the ground and sits with Segren's head in her lap examining his wounds. She has had some training after all but was never very good at these things.

Looking up at the others with a worried look she speaks quietly.

"I dont get it, he should have like popped right up"

Edited by J.Stone (see edit history)
Name
Medicine
1d20+1 13

Gaerzil-300x400.jpgGaerzil | HP 7/7 | AC 13 | Initiative +3 | Passive Perception 11
Spell Slots: 1st Level 1/2

As Silvia hurries over to tend to the unconscious man, Gaerzil can't help but take purely academic notice of the way her priestly garments hug her body. Though not particularly religious by nature, he begins to weigh the pros and cons of dividing his worship between Oghma and Sune.

The failure of either healer to rouse Segren distracts Gaerzil from his musings. Still sitting on the ground next to the man, he waves his hand in front of Segren's eyes to see if there's any movement. "It's possible that the horse's hoof scrambled his brain beyond anything your average healer could muster. Perhaps Dawngreeter Gaerzil..." He stops himself. His namesake likely was in Elturel when it vanished. "Well, perhaps Dara could help him. A Chosen of Ilmater should have powerful healing abilities. Elsewise, what's the point?"

Edited by Kavonde (see edit history)
Name
Medicine
1d20+1 7

15db87f7234cb3659c849826814290cf.jpgGwen | HP 11/15 | AC 18 | Initiative +0 | Passive Perception 12
Second Wind: 1/1

"Adequately fought," Keryn concedes to Gwen. "I'd perhaps even go as far as well fought. More discipline than I'd expected for such a weapon. The axe is usually much more savage."

Gwen rolls her eye as she waits for Vasha to open the door. "For a well-to-do type, your flattery could use some work. But yes, you were perhaps better than adequate yourself. Your sword hasn't snapped yet, has it?"

"Who did you say you fought with again?"

"I didn't."

Vasha finally gets the door open. Gwen gives her a brief reassuring hug. She and Vasha aren't close, but they're like neighbors in a way, members of the same community. When the discussion shifts to today's events, Gwen nods. "I'm afraid it's true. I don't know what fell magic was worked, but Elturel is gone, dragged into the Nine Hells. We need to make for Baldur's Gate. We'll be safe there and the world needs to know what happened."

Gwen spins around, axe and shield raised when she hears Hravin make his entrance. Seeing that it's a human and not some demon, Gwen relaxes. The man appears capable and they can use all the help they can get. "You're welcome to join us," she calls out to Hravin. "We're making for Baldur's Gate. No one is safe here."

"Did some archfiend take it? I don't understand."

"By the sound of it, the city is claimed by a Zariel, Lord of the First, I think." Gwen goes into detail about the attack and recounts the words that thundered from the skies. "Let's check on Segren. The others should have found him by now. Then, gather your things. We need to leave now."

Gwen exits the tavern and heads over to Silvia, Gaerzil, and Kilros.

IC

spacer.png
spacer.pngKilros "Psalms" Regios

www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2836360

LN Tiefling Paladin Lvl 1;  AC 18 (Chainmail and Shield); HP 11/11; Speed 30 ft. Passive Perception 11; Passive Insight 13; Passive Investigation 10

Ability Scores, Saves, and Skills 

Str 16 (+3), Dex 8 (-1), Con 13 (+1), Int 10 (0), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 16 (+3)
Strength Save: +3; Athletic +5
Dexterity Save: -1
Constitution Save: +1
Intelligence Save: +0
Wisdom Save: +3; Insight +3
Charisma Save: +5; Intimidation +5, Persuasion +5

Playing Card Proficiency +2

Attack and Scores

Battleaxe +5, 1d8(10)+3

Javlines (5) +5, 1d6+3, 30/120

Class and Race Abilities

Class Features

Divine SenseThe presence of strong evil registers on your senses like a noxious odor, and powerful good rings like heavenly music in your ears. As an action, you can open your awareness to detect such forces. Until the end of your next turn, you know the location of any celestial, fiend, or undead within 60 feet of you that is not behind total cover. You know the type (celestial, fiend, or undead) of any being whose presence you sense, but not its identity (the vampire Count Strahd von Zarovich, for instance). Within the same radius, you also detect the presence of any place or object that has been consecrated or desecrated, as with the hallow spell.: 4/day

Lay on HandsYour blessed touch can heal wounds. You have a pool of healing power that replenishes when you take a long rest. With that pool, you can restore a total number of hit points equal to your paladin level × 5.

As an action, you can touch a creature and draw power from the pool to restore a number of hit points to that creature, up to the maximum amount remaining in your pool.

Alternatively, you can expend 5 hit points from your pool of healing to cure the target of one disease or neutralize one poison affecting it. You can cure multiple diseases and neutralize multiple poisons with a single use of Lay on Hands, expending hit points separately for each one.

This feature has no effect on undead and constructs.
: 5 points/day

Racial Features

Darkvision: 60 ft.

Hellish ResistanceKilros has resistance to fire damage

Legacy of Avernus

At will - ThaumaturgyCasting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V
Duration: Up to 1 minute

You manifest a minor wonder, a sign of supernatural power, within range. You create one of the following magical effects within range:

- Your voice booms up to three times as loud as normal for 1 minute.

- You cause flames to flicker, brighten, dim, or change color for 1 minute.

- You cause harmless tremors in the ground for 1 minute.

- You create an instantaneous sound that originates from a point of your choice within range, such as a rumble of thunder, the cry of a raven, or ominous whispers.

- You instantaneously cause an unlocked door or window to fly open or slam shut.

- You alter the appearance of your eyes for 1 minute.
If you cast this spell multiple times, you can have up to three of its 1-minute effects active at a time, and you can dismiss such an effect as an action.

Background Feature

Loyalty Test: You've had enough dealings with crooked soldiers that you can spot the behaviors common to corrupt guards and military officers a mile away. While awareness of such corruption doesn't equate to evidence of it, and your sense certainly isn't foolproof, your instinct proves a useful starting point when determining who might take a bribe, who might turn a blind eye to a crime, or who might have criminal connections. You can also use this sense to get a feeling about who might fulfill their duties strictly by the book.

“My words…” | ‘My thoughts…’| My Actions

Kilros knew the building would come down eventually. Any building that's burning would as logic dictates, but he felt like a cliche in a novel when he saw it coming down on him as he let Gaerzil - shortly after motioing to the clear fire between them as an explanation for why he couldn't carry Sergen - and said man through first. He pretty much dove out of the way before letting out a long string of coughs from the smoke, ignoring the other tiefling's look. Once he was able to stand up straight and dust off whatever soot clung onto him, he gave an appreciative nod before to Silvia as she tried to tend to the man.

"Unfortunately, I wouldn't know myself, but if he's still breathing, then our best bet is to keep him that way until we can get him back to the caravan," he said being absolutely stumped at the why, "I'll carry him for now," he said as he looked to Silivia to see if she was okay with moving him.

OOC

Attack Action:

Bonus Action: Rolled a 16 to move out of the beams way. Yay!

Movement:

Edited by Amaryllis77 (see edit history)
Name
Medicine 
1d20+1 1

Moon Elf Rogue 

Str: 10 (+0) | Dex: 17 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 10 (+0) | Cha: 14 (+2)

"I wasn't intending to flatter," Keryn replied bluntly, "if we are to be companions honesty serves better. Adequacy was neither intended as an insult, it is the best many can hope for, and many more still do not achieve it. I too have many decades before I could approach mastery." Vasha's appearance precludes any further conversation in that direction.

At words of the elf, Keryn's interest quickens. "The Feywild? What brought you there, or here thereafter?" he inquires as he follows the rest of the party outside to assess the effectiveness of their companions rescue efforts. He spies the two tieflings and Sylvia huddled over another body, making way for Vasha to rush over.

"We should still hurry," he says after a moment.

OOC

Action: -

Reaction: Absorb Elements if triggered

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Rapier . Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 + 3 piercing damage.

Dagger [2] . Thrown/Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4 + 3 piercing damage.

Shortbow . Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 + 3 piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Reactions:

Absorb Elements 1/1

Class Features:

Sneak Attack . Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll.

spacer.png

Silvia Starlight - Aasimar Celestial Warlock
AC: 14 / HP: 10 / Perception: 11 / Insight 13
Healing Light: 1d6 (0/2) || Pact Slots: 1/1 || Bless (0/1)

Silvia continued to comfort the poor man laying in her lap as she looked around at the Tieflings that had saved him.

"I think he might be ok given some time, you are both like totally heroes for saving him"

looking at Kilros she was concerned about his wounds.

"are you going to be ok? are you hurt?"

she couldn't help but notice Gaerzil staring a bit and smiled at the young wizard.

"I didn't know you were so strong, maybe you could use those muscles to help us carry him to the caravan"

Edited by J.Stone (see edit history)

Grug walks over to the group, scratching his rear end as blood drips from him and a giant bruise forms on his chest. “Urrrmmm…does anyone here know how to heal I don’t mind scars, but more of those beasts would be bad for me. Oh, and we should go to Baldurs Gate big city, more protection.” Grug gives a sheepish grin, realizing it is th most he’s said since joining this ragtag group. He wasn’t the smart Around, but he knew when people gelled. Maybe he had found a new clan, at least for now.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Battle Axe
Off Hand: 

Action:
Manipulate:

Gaerzil-300x400.jpgGaerzil | HP 7/7 | AC 13 | Initiative +3 | Passive Perception 11
Spell Slots: 1st Level 1/2

Gaerzil rises to his feet and backs away a step as Kilros volunteers to carry the unconscious man. It was a small miracle that he managed to drag the wounded human out of the barn in the first place, and now that the adrenaline's wearing off, he can't help noticing a growing pain in his lower back. Did I pull a muscle? Hells. Perhaps I should start doing my morning stretches again.

Silvia's compliment about his strength, however, makes the pain suddenly fade away. "Of course, of course. I'll, ah, take the legs, if you'd like, Kilros."

What am I doing? he chides himself. I am a wizard, not some awkward goon of a teenager. Am I going to let myself be goaded into manual labor because an attractive woman batted her eyelashes at me? I'm better than this.

And yet, the Artful Dodger notes, you're holding the man's legs.

Shut up.

When Grug approaches and requests healing, Gaerzil does a double-take. The goliath is absolutely drenched in gore, and apparently at least some of it is his own. Still holding Sergen's legs, he backs up a step to let the healers have a look at him. At Grug's suggestion that they travel to Baldur's Gate, however, Gaerzil pouts. "But I just bloody walked all the way from..." He catches the whiney note in his voice and stops himself. "That is to say, if we're to find an answer as to what happened to Elturel and how to restore it, I should think we would need to investigate the area further before we fall back to safer ground. And so far, a few flesh wounds aside, we seem quite capable at handling ourselves. No need to tuck tail and run just yet."

Moon Elf Rogue 

"It certainly appears that we are all skilled in some regard," Keryn agrees, "even if that skill can be replicated by a well-constructed training dummy," he adds, glancing at the wall of bruised muscle to his left.

"However," he continues, pointing down towards the still unconscious Segren slung between two Tieflings, "not all seem so able and I think they would still benefit from a rapid return to the relative safety of Baldur's Gate. You are correct though, we'd agreed to collect tools and weapons both first."

OOC

Action: -

Reaction: Absorb Elements if triggered

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

Reactions:

Absorb Elements 1/1

Class Features: