FAQ/OOC

SMARTAgentKC

14 hours ago, voodoozombie said:

For those in the BlackFinch simulation, I was wondering if it would be o.k. if I copied/clone the posting format that you are using?

It's very clean, streamlined yet has room for a lot of information. And it's easy to read and easy on the eyes!

It's fine. Bwatford made it and said it was fine for others to use.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have some character concepts I'm curious about testing, but they suffer from the "ask you GM if this is allowed" syndrome. So... can I ask your opinion on these questions?

Imagine a Fairy moon druid. She can change into a lot of different beast forms, and love to the feeling of strength that she lacks in real life. Not only that, it allows her to go against the stereotype she has been forced into; a cutesy fairy girl whose job it is to nurture the animals and nature.

1. Rule-wise; what would happen if she were to cast Enlarge on herself and then Wild Shape? I've tried to look up both rules and discussions, and the conclusion I have reached is that the rules are ambiguous. If it was a hostile effect (someone else casting Shrink on her, for example), it would persist according to rules as written, as it is not a condition that goes away by shapeshifting. Logically, it makes sense that a shapeshifter can shift out of (some) effects that affect their bodies. Balance-wise, is it a problem if you combine Enlarge and Wild Shape? It is completely allowed if someone else were to cast Enlarge on her *after* she shapeshifts. But I can also see a point that many GMs don't want to, for example, deal with a Gargantuan (4x4 squares) Constrictor Snake all the time.

2. What would happen if creature with climb speed (certain beast forms, or for that matter a fighter/barbarian/monk with climb speed) were to grapple a creature and start scaling walls? According to the rules, you can drag creatures along while moving (but can you drag creatures around you while you stand still?). Does that also apply to climbing? I don't think this is specified anywhere.

To make an extreme example, a Tabaxi Monk at level 5 using their Feline Agility can grab a creature next to a wall, climb 45 feet up (half of 90 feet), double that if they dash as well. After that, drop the grapple (free action) and watch the character plummet. Or just drop their climb and fall down with the enemy and slow fall to avoid (most of) the falling damage.

In my book the spell and wildshape would be in effect at the same time. So even if it creates a massive snake. I would give it the green light then maybe borrow it for a boss

As for climbing while grappling. I would think it's a legitimate move but I would throw checks to see if the climb/grapple could be maintained. However if one was to try and grapple to drop someone high I would give that grappled character a reaction to maintain the grapple for their own sake and make them cling to their attacker in order to foil a drop attempt

Fair rulings.

I have a classic "me" problem now, which is choosing between something optimal and something that sounds fun. I have so many times burned myself on this; chosen something that I ultimately don't enjoy a lot, when the answer is obvious: Do what's fun. Within reasonable limits, of course, I don't want to be a liability to a party.

In this case, I know that the best grappler in D&D is the Rune Knight subclass of the fighter. But what sounds a lot more fun is to play the "Tabaxi Taxi", a tabaxi wrestler. A unarmored grappler that can grab an enemy, dash where they want to, climb up and drop the enemies down and do cool wrestling moves. It just sounds like a lot of fun to describe and imagine. At least as long as the character can stay alive, which might not be all that long with the monk's somewhat lackluster defense.

well you're welcome to build whatever you want, just make sure to sign in on the sheet over there *points at the sign in topic* and there's an area marked PC Developer that you can free create characters in. Not sure if I'm going to have any game openings at the moment.

Just now, SMARTAgentKC said:

well you're welcome to build whatever you want, just make sure to sign in on the sheet over there *points at the sign in topic* and there's an area marked PC Developer that you can free create characters in. Not sure if I'm going to have any game openings at the moment.

I found some other games to apply for, so I'm putting my efforts there first. I appreciate the welcome, though.