Grendel Toesome, Halfling ranger

coolhandluke

StatsHere we go!

try 2

Stats2

Edited by coolhandluke
Trying to figure this out (see edit history)
Name
Stats
repeat(drop(4d6,lowest,1),6) 2,4,5,6,2,2,3,4,1,2,4,5,1,1,5,6,1,3,5,5,1,2,5,5
Stats
repeat(drop(4d6,lowest,1),6) 4,4,5,6,1,3,3,4,1,3,3,3,3,4,4,6,2,3,6,6,1,3,4,6
Stats2
repeat(drop(4d6,lowest,1),6) 2,3,6,6,2,3,4,6,1,4,4,5,2,4,4,6,1,2,5,6,1,2,4,6

So I’m failing at the dice roller, sorry this is my first try here. Im not sure how I wound up rolling three times. I’m disregarding the last set (the best of course!) and using the second

actualky I don’t really care which set I use, so since I messed up I’ll throw myself on the mercy of the dm and you can tell me which to use should I get accepted

Edited by coolhandluke (see edit history)

https://imgur.com/gallery/uSAGOSc

Character Name: Grendel Toesome

Race:Ghostwise Halfing (SCAG)

Class:Ranger (Gloomstalker at 3rd, then it depends on the flavor of the campaign)

Background:Haunted one (Curse of strahd) I love the flavor of this

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Personality Traits:Nothing can shake my optimistic attitude.

I’m oblivious to etiquette and social expectations

Ideal:My talents were given to me so I may help the world.

Bond:No one else is going to have to endure the hardships I’ve been through

Flaw:I speak without thinking through my words often insulting others.

Appearance:Grendel gangly for a halfling, approaching 4’ tall but desperately thin. He sports carrot orange hair, and an often present but unattractive bucktooth grin.  His clothes are more what would be expected of a jester than a ranger.  Striped pants of orange and green and a bright yellow shirt that clashes badly with the pants.  The exception is his boots and hooded cloak are the dark, sturdy sort that you would associate with someone at home in the woods. 

Personality:Annoyingly happy.  Ridiculously positive.  When times get tense he loves to tell everyone (again) that this really isn’t that bad.  Why, he had seen worse before he was 6. Gunden is very confident in his abilities, and confused as to why others choose to approach a problem in a different way.  He inquires in blunt and sometimes slightly insulting ways when people take a different approach than him.  He doesn’t intend to be insulting, and is just curious, but his lack of social graces mean many people are offended.

Character History:Grendels eyes darted to either side of the room, desperately looking for anything that looked normal.  This was supposed to be his safe place, his sanctuary, where things were always neat, tidy and calm.  His beloved teacher Madam Greenleaf usually ensured that.  The matronly woman had been teaching the one room school house for 30 years, which seemed like an eternity to a 6 year old.  He glanced at the corner where the small bookshelf stood.  I had been overturned, the precious volumes scattered, and one of the shelves broken in two.  He darted his eyes forward to the blackboard, now hanging eschew and covered in, well he didn’t want to think of what it was, but the still small corpse at the bottom was missing a good portion of its belly, so it could be any number of things the back of his mind said.  His eyes shifted again, towards the front of the classroom and the great desk at the front, strewn with papers, and body parts.  Then, he heard it, the steady clomp clomp.  The same sturdy wood soled shoes that his beloved teacher always wore.  She was quite stout, even for a hobbit, and her shoes had always echoed off the wooden floor of the school.  But now, instead of the steady clomp clomp, the noise had changed.  Clomp, draggggg, clomp, draggg, as she approached her favoite pupil from behind.  Grendel hunkered down in his seat, trying to melt into the small desk. The clomp stopped immediately behind him, and he recoiled as he felt something touch his hair.  Madame Greenleaf had often ran a finger playfully through his shockingly orange and incredibly unruly hair.  But this time it felt different.  A small part of his mind thought “that’s because it’s not a finger anymore.” And his mind was suddenly filled with the image of the thing standing behind him, and caressing his hair had disembowled poor Henny just a few minutes before.  That same detached part of his mind realized that must be why it felt sticky as she continued to stroke his hair.  He wondered if it was henny’s guts or Joneys brains that were causing it to stick more.  Grendel squeezed his eyes shut as he heard and felt his former teacher lower her head down.  Her normal voice was gone, replaced with something much lower and gravellier.  “Oh my sssssssssweet boy, you always were my favorite one…….. SSSSSSSssuch a Ssssspecial child.” She hissed directly into his ear. Grendel whimpered as he felt the incredibly long teeth/fangs graze the top of his ear, slicing It open like a razor.  He felt what he assumed had once been a normal hobbit tongue but now was far longer and rougher than it had any right to be dart out to lick the blood that had pooled in his ear.  “Yessssss. SSSSSSSoooo Ssssssweeet.  You are dessssstined for more than thissssss village.” At that moment, Grendel’s poor young mind broke.  He felt a warm rush as his bladder let go, as half a second later he slumped forward on his desk.  His mind broken from the horror he had witnessed.

Grendel awoke later to screams as the first parent came to check on why the children weren’t home.  The next few years were a blur.  H rarely slept through the night, causing him to live near exhaustion.  He was questioned endlessly by the village, which lead him to endlessly questioning himself.  What had happened to the beloved teacher?  Why was he the only one left alive?  What did she mean he was destined for more?  He found he was no longer comfortable in his own home, where his two older siblings were now missing, much less in the village.  He took to spending more and more time in the gently rolling hills and forests.  He found he had a knack for that, living off the land.  He also found he had a true gift for hunting.  That’s when he realized what he was meant to do.  He was going to hunt not animals for food, but monsters like the one that still plagued his dreams.  It was a few weeks after this decision was made that Grendel was walking through the thick forest, and snuck up on a small deer.  As he released his arrow to bring down his dinner, another arrow thudded into the young bucks chest, dropping it.  Tracing back the arrows path, gunden saw a human step from behind a tree and look his way.  The fellow hunter wound up being Sildar hallwinter.  They shared the deer for dinner that night, as they became acquainted.  Grendel spoke for the first time of his decision to hunt monsters, and Sildar suggested he come up to a small town a few days trek away where he worked as a guard.  Sildar told him that someone good in the woods could find employment and gain experience that might lead to the types of monsters that Grendel was interested in.

Edited by coolhandluke
Cleanup (see edit history)

Obviously I’m new to the site and trying to figure that out. I’m also pretty new to 5e. I played a ton of 2nd and 3rd edition. Then had kids and got busy. I just got my youngest off to college and now have an empty nest and time to pick up old hobbies.

Great app. Very creepy story. So no one really knows what became of dear old Madam Greenleaf? Interesting....

Don't worry about the stat rolls. You can just choose between the first two sets as you suggested if and when then time comes.

I've marked you as "Reviewed". Feel free to participate in the pre-game RP thread if you wish.