2946: Gramtyng & The Bride: Mountain Hall, first meeting

Vladim

Having finally decided on a task, the Bride and Gramtyng left the company of Gerold and exited the Great House of Mountain Hall in search for the town’s elders. This was not easy to do, as Gerold was eager to hear more stories of Rohan. Eventually, they were able to leave the old man behind, but not before he had secured their promise to stay at his house for the night.

The elders were as unhelpful as Idunn had anticipated… They did not seem to know much about this ‘Steed of the Moon’ and were reluctant to help a foreigner, especially one accompanied by Idunn, whom they knew well. The most helpful of the wise old men hinted that the elves or Radaghast might know something, for they knew much about the animals of the forest… but when asked of his own opinion, he dismissed the stories as simple fairy-tales.

That night, Idunn and Gramtyng slept under Gerold’s roof. The old man, who lived alone, was delighted to have some company, and treated both like relatives.

-----------------------------

In the days that followed, Idunn took Gramtyng to the tree-lodge. Merely a day’s march from Mountain-hall, the lodge was where all the young and aspiring Woodmen hunters were trained by their older peers. It was there that Gramtyng learnt that Gerold was no relative of Idunn’s, but simply the teacher of both her and her late betrothed. If the stories were to be believed, then he was the greatest huntsman in Mountain Hall when he was younger.

Invited to join the Woodmen, Gramtyng learnt to hunt with them in the forest. They showed him how to set a trap, how to stalk and ambush prey and how to kill it with spear and bow. Gramtyng, who had already had some experience in hunting in Rohan, was still able to enrich his knowledge with the Woodmen’s unique approach to forest-hunting.

At the same time, Idunn kept a watchful eye on her companion’s health. Slowly but surely, Gramtyng regained his strength. By the end of his stay, he was ready for the journey that lay ahead. But before they could undertake it, the companions had to attend one last meeting with the chieftain of Mountain-Hall.

-----------------------------

The companions stood before Hartfast, son of Hartmut, the chieftain of Mountain Hall. His house was the largest privately owned house in the town, second only to the Great House. Hartfast needed a big house too, for he had, in his many years, sired many progeny: five sons, seven daughters, and more grandchildren than he cared to count. His great family ensured that his house was always teeming with activity and conversation, more often loud than not.

Hartfast looked like the Misty Mountains; craggy features, absurdly tall, white hair. Golden amulets were braided into his beard. He had seen more than fifty winters here in the mountains, but remained unbowed, standing taller than both the Bride and Gramtyng. The Rohirrim had heard that Hartfast was a proud and stubborn man. Behind his back, a few of the Woodmen called him the tallest dwarf for his stubbornness and standoffishness. Yet many more were those who spoke of him with kindness and admiration.

’Well!’ he exclaimed, ’the defiant daughter of Theodwin returns, this time with the foreigner in tow! Tell me, son of Rohan: have you enjoyed the hospitality of Mountain-Hall?’

OOC

I fast-forwarded a bit-the Bride and Gramtyng are due to start their journey tomorrow. If you wanted to role-play some of the earlier events, feel free to let me know!

"That I have, Chief Hartfast." The Rohirrim answered politely, slightly inclining his head in respect: "They have treated me like kin." He recalled the last few days in Edoras and the reception his song had gotten - and the news of what the King had ordered him to do. "Better than my kin, in some cases..." He added somewhat bitterly, though he smiled through it, not wanting to sour the farewell. "I owe you much. My health, the health of my horse, and a great deal of mead! I've learned new songs and spoke with people I'd not thought to see, learned hunting methods I'd never imagined. You and your people have my utmost thanks."

He had not exaggerated. The travels had been harsher on him and Leasere than he'd expected or planned - for all of his upbeat and cheerful attitude, the journey alone had been horrifying, and he'd vowed not to repeat it ever again. Now that he'd had more goals than to randomly wander Wilderland until Thengel King decided to succumb to the Doom of Men, he had a great many options. He had a companion, he had a horse, sword at his belt, shield at his back, and the horizon was free to journey as he wanted. It was a rare thing to acquire, such a freedom. Additionally, he had acquired information, however slight, about the Steed of the Moon. It had been a great improvement from an aimless, exiled wanderer. He thought he at least partially began to understand The Bride and Gerold - the old man's sincere and honest welcome and happiness of having company reminded him of home.

'Good, good!' said Hartfast proudly, pleased to hear that the outlander had enjoyed his time with the people of Mountain Hall. He turned to the Bride, adressing her again: 'And what say you, daughter of Theodwin? What do you think of our guest?'

'He needs more practice,' the Bride replied, 'but with a few more weeks, he'll be as good as any Woodsman in the Hunt. His fair skin makes him stand out, but the folk at the tree-lodge are getting accustomed to his presence, and his stories and songs entertain the hunters.'

Hartfast smiled; he clearly liked what he heard. 'You can teach him more in Mirkwood.' he said, 'But now you must think of the journey ahead. The traders are ready-they will assemble at dawn tomorrow, outside the Great House. But before you depart, you should heed my words carefully, for the journey you are about to undertake is long and perilous.

Before you brave Mirkwood, you should journey northweast. You have not been there before, but I hear that a new inn has recently been established. My agents say it is run by 'wise children', yet I do not know what this means. You should find more about this establishment and report back to me.

Your journey will take you to Lake-town, and you should arrive there just before their great harvest festival. Keep an eye out for dwarves of the Lonely Mountain: their realm is expanding, and many are looking for new opportunities. Our mines here have never been more productive, but we need miners and craftsmen to extend them! The folk living under the mountain are the best, so if you can convince any to at least travel with you, and see our mines, it would be good for Mountain Hall.

One last thing: I know you are young, and your blood is hot, but do not stray from your task! I have seen many young folk give up friends, family and home to become adventurers... It always ends badly for them!'

OOC

Unless you want to do some RPing, this could be a good place to end this thread and start two more, one in the easterly Inn (with Bella) and another in Lake-town (with Bella and Nori).

OOC

Cool!

I'd say he may have overheard it around Mountain Hall, but she does not share it until later, perhaps during their journey to Lake-town. I was planning of revealing it in the IC thread to all companions soon, given that the Fellowship has been through a lot together.

I'll see if I can get the Lake-town side-thread later this week; in principle, everyone should be 'allowed' to participate in that, perhaps even Crimson!