2947: The Dwarven Funeral Pyre

Vladim

(OOC: Original content by Vladim and Old Overholt)

spacer.pngUnder any other circumstances, Idunn would have left her dwarven companion alone, for it was clear that a great sorrow had seized him. But this was still Wilderland, and hungry wolves, roving bands of vagabonds and worse posed a great danger. So she followed along as Nori went on his search for fire-wood. At first she did this from a discrete distance, but when she realised that Nori was well aware of her presence, she tried to help him with the trees. It was not like he needed it, but it gave her a reason to be there.

More importantly, Idunn now understood that Nori’s situation was not unlike hers: He too had lost kin to some ancient terror, as she had to the Werewolf, only more recently. To others, such beasts might inspire great fear, but the Woodswoman knew that, like Smaug, they could be slain.

’This… dragon.’ she said to Nori. ’If it still lives, then we should track it down, and avenge your kin. The Werewolf has claimed many Woodmen lives. I do not want to see any more Free Folk lost to this creature.’

spacer.png"Perhaps," Nori grunts as he buries the edge of his axe into one of the trees. His swings are heavy and purposeful, the dwarf angling his axe with each chop to form a wedge at the base of the trunk. He works methodically and at an even pace, even while he carries on a conversation with Idunn, his eyes occasionally flicking up from his work to acknowledge the woman. "Where ever he is, though - he's no immediate threat. He'll get what's coming to him in time, but this werewolf of yours..." Nori starts to look like he's about to swing the axe again, but instead falters and stands upright a little - giving Idunn his full, but exhausted, attention. "... that sounds more like a danger we should all be concerned about right now. You don't suppose we'll run across it on our travels now, do you?"

spacer.png’I saw its tracks near the Elf-path.’ states the Bride simply. ’Gramtyng saw them too: big as a bear’s, and deep.’ she adds, so that the dwarf can ask the horse-lord for confirmation, should he need it. ’The Beast must have its lair deep within Mirkwood,’ she concludes, ’and I have a plan for finding it, should the Brown Wizard or the Bear Lord wish to help me.’

She turns her gaze to the direction of the dwarven ruins, and lets her eyes drift to the distant horizon, as if contemplating something.

OOC

If Nori asks about her plan, Idunn will reveal that the legends say that both Radagast and Beorn have the gift of animal-speech, and they can teach it to others. Her plan is to speak to her hound, which has survived an encounted with the Werewolf, and use the information to attempt to track down the Werewolf.

spacer.pngNori does indeed inquire about what exactly Radagast/Beorn can do to assist her and seems shocked not that they can speak to animals, but that it is something that can be taught. Blinking his eyes in some disbelief, the dwarf responds with, "That certainly would quite a feat." With that said and the dwarf now clearly using this as an opportunity to take a brief break from his physical exertion, Nori leans in a little closer to Idunn and asks with slightly narrowed eyes, "What do you know of the Beornings? I've never dealt with them, but I've heard they don't deal with outsiders well... especially dwarves. What makes you think Beorn would teach you something so clearly valuable to them?" Nori's tone doesn't seem dismissive of Idunn, but their some friendly skepticism there - as if genuinely interested in the Woodswoman's ability to successfully negotiate herself into such a position.

spacer.png’I know that they are friends to the Woodmen,’ says the Bride, ’for many of Beorn’s people lived with us not long ago. But I also know that the Bear-Lord himself is not fond of dwarves, though I know not what the Beornings think of your kin.’

She briefly pauses to consider such a potential conundrum, but when she decides to continue, her opinion is spoken with confidence.

’Regardless, the dwarves are friends of Mountain-Hall now, and the Beornings should recognize the wisdom in our alliance.’ Her optimism is not limited to the diplomatic relationships between Nori’s folk and hers, because she continues: ’As for the Bear-Lord himself… He is both wise and powerful… Surely he can see the merit of bringing the Free Folk together and ridding Mirkwood of the Beast.’

She says these last few words with great conviction, clearly indicating that she has no doubt that her line of reasoning will be easily accepted even by one as powerful as Beorn... For although the elven-king declined her request, these were her peoples and her lands, and surely their leaders would both understand and help her.

spacer.pngThe dwarf seems hard pressed to argue with Idunn as she makes her case for why Beorn will agree to help her - his lower lip pushing up on his upper lip and causing his hidden chin to wrinkle behind his thick beard. Nodding his head a few times, he starts to swing his axe back and forth slightly, preparing his arms to get back to work and anticipating the weight of his axe. As his eyes focus on the nearby tree he's been working on, the dwarf says, "That or he'll take offense to you wanting to kill one of the woodland creatures." His mouth curls into a mischievious grin after speaking those words, Nori knowing full well he's teasing Idunn, but perhaps also presenting a valid concern with what little he knows of both the creature and Beorn.

As his axe strikes the tree, bringing it closer to being felled, Nori grunts back towards the Woodswoman, "So how long has this werewolf been around?" He seems to be wanting to put a story together - one he knows some basic facts on, but is clearly trying to get a better understanding.

spacer.pngDespite being said in jest or out of mere ignorance, Nori’s words cause Idunn to frown deeply, and she shakes her head disapprovingly.

’The werewolf’s no woodland creature, no more than the dragon that trapped your kin here, turning their homes into their tomb.’ The reference to the dragon is spoken harshly, in order to force the dwarf understand that such ancient evils are no laughing matter.

To drive her point home, she concludes:

’The Beast of Mirkwood is an ancient evil, perhaps as old as dragons, or even older. At times it is forgotten, perhaps slumbering like dragons do, but when it awakens, death and destruction follow. Beorn knows this well, for he is no fool, and he would help anyone who would rid of this curse. Of that I am certain.’

spacer.pngNori looks like he's about to take a heavy swing at the tree, but Idunn's words give him immediate pause. The momentum he had built up carries his stocky frame forward, but he lets the axe head fall and swing harmlessly at the ground - kicking up a small patch of dirt as the blade cuts into the earth. Glancing between the Woodswoman and his axe, he buries the axe head into the ground and places both hands over the butt of the handle. Focusing then solely on the woman near him, he says with a bit of hesitancy and usual dwarven stubbornness, "I didn't mean any offense." Clearly, she had made her point by comparing the werewolf to the dragon. "I'm just... surprised a creature like that could be a threat for so long. A dragon, yes... but..." He lets his words trailing as his eyes are cast to the ground and a deep exhale comes out through his nose. He resettles his eyes on Idunn's face as he gathers his composure and adds, "... but I'll help you in any way I can." Standing up straighter and looking like he's about to wind up for another swing, the dwarf chuckles out nervously, "If anything... a few spectacular teeth or a claw to add to my next piece would be something else."

spacer.png’I am grateful for your help,’ says the huntress, ’and if the dragon that did this to your kin still leaves, I too will help you hunt it down. The Woodmen and the Beornings, who are also my kin, would never allow such evil to roam Mirkwood.’

She means it too. Because although she does not want to admit it, when she saw Nori’s anger and sorrow earlier, inside the ruins, she could recognize in him the very same desire for vengeance that she also felt when she lost her betrothed. It was something she could clearly sympathise with. ’We shall avenge your kin. But let us bury them first.’ And with these words, Idunn lends her dwarven companion a hand, and both of them, working together, fell many trees.

(Some minutes later)

’I do not know much about the werewolf.’ the Bride admits, seemingly out of nowhere, during a brief break from the arduous, but cathartic, labour. ’Hartfast knows little about the creature, and the elders of Mountain Hall refuse to speak to me about this. If Beorn refuses to help, then I plan to visit Radagast in Rhosgobel. The Brown Wizard knows much about the forest, and he may have the answers I seek.’

spacer.png"Something tells me if we're going to go after that ice worm, we're going to need a lot more than just you and I," Nori says with a dark, knowing grin. "But your heart it pure gold." Now bearing his teeth in a genuine smile, the dwarf starts back to work as he sees Idunn join him in the chopping efforts. As the two work together, she'll notice Nori's natural endurance in the task as well as a sense of eagerness on his part to 'out due' the woodswoman. For every swing she makes, he seems intent on making three - looking up and over at her occasionally to gauge her pace.

When Idunn pauses, the dwarf presses on - speaking up on the backswing of chops when he has air in his lungs. "That he might if what you say is true," Nori says. "Though I don't know much of him... how did you come to know Radagast?" Again, his eyes flicker to Idunn, but this time more out of curiosity as opposed to competition.

spacer.pngIdunn did not need to see her dwarven companion at work to know that he was capable-he had seen both him and his cousin fight against the orcs and the spiders of Mirkwood, and even cut down the terror in the well that had almost claimed Belgo’s life. Nevertheless, the more she saw, the more she could understand why the dwarves of the Lonely Mountain had been so successful: they were proud, strong and sturdy folk, and gave themselves fully to whatever task they chose to undertake. While Idunn herself did not approve their obsession with gems and their tendency to hoard gold, seeing Nori fell so many trees made her realize that this dwarven obsession could be also put to good use.

(………..)

’I agree,’ replies Idunn, trying not to linger on Nori’s complement, ’but you should speak to Gramtyng. He is a good friend-both to me and you-and he too would help you, should you ask.’

Despite her opinions and her desire for vengeance, she knew that she was no King Bard: a dragon was well beyond her prowess. But she had a plan, and there was no reason not to include Nori in it. ’I have discussed with him about a plan to hunt down the Werewolf, and we both know that we will need allies to do this. Perhaps these allies would also help us to slay the dragon, or to reclaim Borin’s homeland.’ Of course, she knew nothing of who these allies would be, not why they would help them. The Elvenking had already turned down her request. But it was a start, and perhaps the Beornings or the dwarves would be willing to help out.

When the subject drifted to the Brown Wizard, she offered what little information she had. ’I do not know him personally,’ she admitted, ’but I know *of* him. Everyone who calls themselves a Woodman does. He lives in Rhosgobel, which is within Mirkwood, unlike Mountain Hall. He is a great friend of the Woodmen living there, and knows much about the forest and its creatures. He speaks the language of the woodland creatures, and some say that they are his messengers. In addition to being a protector of Rhosgobel, he is a healer and a wise arbitrator, and a Wizard of great power…’

There was no doubt or scepticism in her voice, for Idunn, much like most of the children of Mountain-Hall, had been brought up with stories of Radagast's wisdom and power.

spacer.png"I'll speak with him," Nori says, agreeing to the mild suggestion of the Woodswoman to approach the Rohirrim. But it's left at that, with no indication of the immediacy of when he'll speak with him. Instead, the dwarf continues about his work while furthering the conversation into Radagast and the werewolf itself. "So let's say you're able to learn to speak to your hound... and he's able to tell you where this werewolf might hunt or sleep..." Nori continues, laying out his train of thought. "... tell me about this plan you have worked out so far. It sounds like you've given it a bit of thought beyond finding the beast and killing it."

spacer.pngIdunn, although she hadn’t considered tactics or details, knew full well that she could not undertake the hunt alone. ’I need more hunters,’ she admitted, ’but there are many amongst the Woodsmen who would like to slay the Werewolf. The Beast has plagued our towns and villages for too long.’

She thought of Woodmen-town, where her betrothed had been brought up, and the hunters who had followed him, hoping to slay the Beast, none of whom had returned. She was confident that their families, their friends and their kinsmen wanted revenge, and she was eager to join them.

But the Men of the Forest were not the only folk who might wish the creature dead. ’King Thranduil may have declined my request for now, but as long as the elves hide in the forest, they allow the evil things in it to grow in power. The Elvenking is wise: he will realise this eventually. But even your folk could benefit if the roads that once connected the dwarven outposts were rebuilt. This is but one of those old fortresses; there are many more ruins in Mirkwood, and as trade expands, and the Kingdom under the Mountain prospers, your king will see that ridding Mirkwood of its evils is to the benefit of all of the Free Folk.’

She paused. She knew that gathering allies was going to be important, but beyond that, she had little in the way of a plan. ’As for specifics… learning more about the Werewolf is an important first step. If it is as ancient as the tales say, then much knowledge about it must have been accumulated over the ages. The Brown Wizard could help me understand its weaknesses, and this will help me in the upcoming battle.’