2947: On Ellerina and the past

Vladim

(OOC: Original posts by Diofant, Vladim, Greyh Seer & Dramacydal)

spacer.pngIdunn looked awkwardly at the rest of the fellowship and their Beorning host, unsure of how to proceed. Stepping outside would risk offending Odo, yet denying the elf-lord’s request might offend him. Torn between those possibilities, she decided to reassure the elf that he had nothing to fear from the others.

’We are among friends here, lord Aerwyn.’ she offered somewhat apologetically. The elf may have not been a lord, but his presence certainly commanded respect. Nevertheless, she could not honour his wish, if that meant leaving the others.

’You can speak openly and without fear here.’ she continued. ’Both Nori and Gramtyng know Ellerina, as do I, though we have not seen her since she left Mountain-Hall with Lady Irime. We had a bad run-in with orcs from Fenbridge, and Lady Ellerina was not the same after that, and wished to leave for the place all elves go when they are overcome with sorrow.’

OOC

Idunn’s a bit reluctant to step outside, because she worries this might offend the others… but she is willing to discuss whatever Aerwyn asks of her. Practically, I’d prefer we stick to this thread for now, giving others the opportunity to add something to the role-playing. But if Aerwyn wants to be cautious, he can stop the discussion and talk later, when the fellowship is on the road again.

As for Ellerina, we had ended the previous adventure with her expressing the desire to sail west, and Irime should know that (and probably told Aerwyn). Still, if you have any ideas for a side-quest involving her, feel free to suggest it, and we can consider it.

spacer.pngCilderic looks expectantly at the elf before speaking himself. "I too have something to say and a message to deliver. I dare not let the Brown Wizards message wait much longer, and we still must get up at first light if we are to succeed at our current task." Cilderic waited, apprehensive at interrupting an Elf Lord's conversation. "Please Master Elf, tell us your tale and by your grace I will follow it with mine."

OOC

I am trying to play a bit on Cilderic's lack of social aptitude. I don't wish to steal the spotlight, however,
so if this doesn't fit, just let me know and I'll delete the post. 

spacer.png"I know the place well but that place is as mystical as the gods themselves. They say it is a sojourn home from birth. Gwynn Ap Nudd or what we call Exile in the common language. It's usually reserved for a place of shame and dishonor. Makes me think Elerrina betrayed all of you. You mention orcs, perhaps of Mordor. The thought leaves a bad taste with me. To think she betrayed your Fellowship, but the mention of Lady Irime collaborates this opinion. Lady Irime is a warden like me and her presence speaks volumes. I digress that Elrond did not mention this to me. But Gwynn Ap Nudd is only known by Elves of ancient heritage. Elle would almost assuredly need taken to Gwynn Ap Nudd to judge the soul and see if her future is worth saving. It's the only way of divine procession of forgiveness."

spacer.pngIdunn frowned and looked at the elf-lord, too disturbed by what she heard to hide her disbelief. The matters of elves were not known to her, same as the matters of Men did not concern the fair folk, but the mention of treason did not sit well with the huntress. Nothing in Ellerina’s behaviour indicated that she was a traitor or in league with the Enemy. She was, after all, almost abducted by orcs, she fought valiantly against them, and she even blessed them with gifts – one of which, the enchanted elven rope, had already saved Idunn’s life once. Struggling to remain courteous while disbelieving the elf-lord, Idunn tried as best she could to defend the honour of her former companion:

’Forgive me, lord Aerwyn,’ she begun, timidly but with conviction, ’but lady Ellerina did not behave like a traitor. It was with her help that we survived the long journey through Mirkwood, and lady Irime did not seem to treat her like a prisoner… though I do not know much about the matters of elves, nor do I understand their customs.’

Relieved to have been able to speak for Lady Ellerina, Idunn fell silent, but wishing to avoid tension within the fellowship, she turned to her Woodman companion. ’And what of your pressing message? What does the Brown Wizard say?’

OOC @ Dramacydle

I just wanted to briefly summarize where I stand on regarding Middle-Earth canon for this game.

I am no Tolkien scholar, but my impression was that the vast majority of elves are not evil. Especially High Elves, who are nobler, older and wiser than all other elves (and Ellerina was a High Elf). So if I am GMing, I’d probably rule it as such: I don’t think I would say that Ellerina betrayed the fellowship, though your character is free to think that, for whatever reasons.

However, if Diofant, or you, or someone else is the GM, then I will simply follow what the GM says, or at least try to. In the most extreme case, if I felt like we’re no longer playing in Middle-Earth, I’d probably step down without much of a fuss. I hope that this approach is fair for everyone participating. But I am happy to discuss if you think it is not.

spacer.pngCilderic looks apprehensively at Aerwyn and slowly starts to speak. "With your leave Master Elf." Cilderic pauses slightly and turns to the entire group. "The Brown Wizard appeared to me at my fire several nights ago. He invited himself to sit and join my meager meal as if he were expected. After he had eaten and spoke of strange things he finally revealed his purpose to me. He told me a tale of great urgency and sadness." Cilderic stroked his beard and his face turned hard. The Brown Wizard has told me to seek you out - so that I may in turn seek him out."

Cilderic sighed as if he were remembering a heavy burden that he had for a moment forgotten. I've been sent her to find Berenger. His importance is greater than many realize. The wizard says you've encountered him recently. What news can you tell?

spacer.pngIdunn nodded grimly in response to Cilderic’s question. ’We did find Berengar,' she said, ’but he is not the man he once was. He dwells inside Mirkwood, not far from the Elf-Path, within a hollow tree. Yet he does not remember his name. He seemed mad and fearful, as if he had lost all his wits long ago.

Still, he gave us hospitality, and a roof to weather out the storm. It was only when I remembered his name that he ran away. I know where he lives, as does Nori and Gramtyng. We could guide you there.’

The Bride paused, remembering that she still had what was left of the mad hermit’s battle-axe in her possession.

’He gave us this,’ she continued, presenting a fragment of the axe to Cilderic, ’and I found another shard in a ruin, a day's march from Mountain-Hall.’ She placed the two pieces together, revealing what was once a rune-covered axe of great craftsmanship. ’Wolf-biter it was called, if I remember the tales’ she said, referring to the axe-head, ’and Berengar was its bearer.’

spacer.pngCilderic stared silently at the shards Idunn showed him. Of coarse every Woodsman had heard of the axe. Cilderic didn't know that it had suffered such a fate, however. And furthermore, while Radagast had shown great concern over Berengar's fate, Cilderic didn't expect to hear that Berengar had potentially lost his mind.

Cilderic spoke again after several moments of silence. "The Elf Path is many days travel from here, and with what you've told me, there is no assurance he will still be there." Cilderic paused and turned to each of the company in turn, pausing longer at Cheek and Indunn.

"When the Brown Wizard gives instruction, it is wise to head his advice. While I do not always agree with him, Radagast has never failed our people. He sent me to find Berengar because he leads in a way not many know of and with importance that few understand. Our people are kept safe by what Radagast and Berengar have built, but with Berengar's disappearance, leadership of the watch has fallen to...other hands."

Cilderic paused and grimaced as if some difficulty weighed upon him with that last statement. The Brown Wizard has told me to seek you out - and my mission and charge carry more weight than it would at first seem. Once we have returned the Sickle to the Beornings, it is my hope....and the Brown Wizard's will, that you join me on this quest to find Berengar...and return him to the light."

spacer.png"Berenger is most crazed and beyond his years Cilderic. Why would you need of him so?", exclaimed Aerwyn. " It seemed the man was beyond any resemblance of normalcy. In fact, he had heard of his story. Particularly of Wolf Biter that Idunn carried and the broken pieces that resembled Berenger's weapon of great legacy. Standing there, he looks from the Bride and then to the Woodsman."

spacer.pngCilderic looks towards Aerwyn and responds. "Berengar is more than just the wielder of the axe or a hero of bygone days." Cilderic seems hesitant, but continues. "He is the leader of the Scouts of the Southern Wild and he has been charged to protect the Woodsmen, and to lead those who watch and help to keep the darkness at bay." Cilderic waited for a moment before continuing, as he wanted to choose his words carefully. "While we know little compared to the Elves who have fought the shadow since the beginning, we to have a part to play and if the leader of those who watch over the Woodsman has indeed been afflicted, then it is fortunate indeed that the Brown Wizard has set us to seek him out. Perhaps whatever ailment he suffers from could be shaken with the sight of old comrades, or the wisdom of Radagast.."

spacer.png"I dont know the stories about Berengar and Wolfbiter, but it sounds like he's an important figurehead to the Woodmen, which means extra morale and motivation... Even beyond being decent and helping out someone in need." Gramtyng folded his arms across his chest and sighed: "There's... Also the possibility he doesnt want to return, as he seemed pretty far gone - maybe he doesnt want to be seen by his people, maybe his family in the way he is now. But... If anyone can do anything about his condition, its Radagast. He might have something to ease his condition. And if not... Well, I hesitate to suggest it. maybe I shouldnt mention it."

spacer.png’I will come with you,’ said Idunn to her fellow Woodman, ’be it to Rhosgobel, to see the wizard and hear his counsel, or to the elf-path, to find Berengar. Not all of us are as eager to dismiss the plight of a good Man as the elves.’ She cast a sideways glance at Aerwyn, whose words and demeanour had solidified her opinion on elves: proud and selfish, ignorant and dismissive of the affairs of mortals. After all, did Berengar not dwell near the Elf-path? Surely the elvenking knew of his presence, and though he likely possessed the power to heal the hermit’s broken mind, he had chosen not to. Like Aerwyn, he cared little about Men.

She turned to Gramtyng, trying to decipher his cryptic words, yet failing to do so. For one as forthright as her, it was difficult to understand why others would not speak plainly. ’Well?’ she asked the horse-lord. ’What is it you wish to say? There’s little point in bringing it up without explaining it.’ she said demandingly.

spacer.pngThe minstrel scratched the back of his head in embarrassment at Idunn's scolding, but there was no joking your way out of the proposition he was about to make. "Well..." he sighed, looking clearly uncomfortable. "I just remembered something from earlier... Its really, really not a good thing. But madness... The poor man's been through so much. maybe, while Radagast figures out a cure, it would be merciful to let him forget the horrors of his past for now, before he brings himself to bear and works himself up to confront that darkness?" Gramtyng stared into his ale-cup, nudging it and observing the alcohol swishing around in it, before continuing: "...I speak of the Enchanted Stream."

spacer.pngGramtyng’s suggestion was met by silence from the huntress, who did not dismiss his plan out of hand. At length she spoke, but her words had nothing of the decisiveness and strong-headedness that she typically displayed. Instead, they expressed only her personal hesitations.

’Drinking from the Stream broke Baldor.’ she said, referring to the merchant they had met in Lake-Town, and explaining this to Cilderic and Fundor, so that they too could understand. Still, she did not admonish the horse-lord, because she understood why he would suggest it, and part of her thought that it was a merciful, though desperate, course of action.

’Even if the water helped Berengar forget, how could we know that this would restore his sanity? Perhaps his mind is broken beyond repair.’ Still, if it was so, would it be not kinder to simply let him forget: would the life of a bumbling fool not be preferable to that of a tormented madman? ’And if he forgot everything, would he still be the same man? Surely, without his skill and knowledge, he would not be able to lead the Scouts of the Southern Wilds again.’

Torn between mercy and a refusal to accept compromise, Idunn had no plan to propose but to ask the help of someone wiser. ’Let us talk to Radagast first, before resorting to this. He will surely know what to do.’

OOC

Nicely played! A very interesting dilemma!