Looking to play for the first time in a while

DJ_JJ

Hi! I've used to play a lot of different TTRPGs, but ever since right before covid when I moved to Japan, I haven't been able to find any games in person. I've always been interested in the idea of playing by post, and now I actually have some free time for a long period of time. When I used to play regularly, I played mostly Dungeons and Dragons 5E, and Pathfinder 1E. My favorite game that I've played is Call of Cthulhu, and I really like dark, intense stories that also feature a lot of world building.

For what it is worth, I'm a 20-year-old translator in Japan, and I mostly play TTRPGs as a means to meet new people and have fun with them. I mostly tend to play pretty unique characters that develop over the course of the campaign. I have several years of writing experience, and slightly prefer roleplay to combat (I still really enjoy combat).

I think that I will be able to respond quickly and in-depth, and any period of extended inactivity will be known ahead of time. Feel free to message me if you have any questions, or are looking for an extra player. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

On 10/8/2023 at 1:58 AM, DJ_JJ said:

Hi! I've used to play a lot of different TTRPGs, but ever since right before covid when I moved to Japan, I haven't been able to find any games in person. I've always been interested in the idea of playing by post, and now I actually have some free time for a long period of time. When I used to play regularly, I played mostly Dungeons and Dragons 5E, and Pathfinder 1E. My favorite game that I've played is Call of Cthulhu, and I really like dark, intense stories that also feature a lot of world building.

Welcome to the Weave, JJ! Sounds like you'll fit right in around here.

Anyhow, in case you haven't seen it yet, here's a link to our Baldr User Guide, which contains several handy links that you will likely find useful. We do things a touch differently than some other sites, where we have game ads posted and prospective players apply. You'll want to swing over by our Game Ads section to check that out! Every GM does it a little differently, so check the campaign info and forum for the exact details.

We support a very wide variety of systems here, ranging from good ol D&D (of all editions) to Pathfinder to Shadowrun to Fate to PbtA to OSR to, well, I don't think there's a system we don't support or have players for. So if you spot something outside of your norm that catches your attention - go ahead and apply for it anyways. There is much to be gained by going outside of the box, after all.

Also, I recommend getting chatty through out the forums or even dropping by our Discord Channel, especially if you have questions. Just watch out for those welcoming harpoons - they're harmless... mostly 😂

If you have any questions, let us know! Don't be afraid to ask, either - we do our best to help people out.

-Yamazaki

Welcome! If you stick around here long enough, you'll inevitably bump into more expats living in Japan, be they English teachers, military or with other professions. I've been here for a while now, though I joined Myth-Weavers before that. Hopefully you can find some games that catch your eye!

I also hear that CoC is big in Japan, but I haven't tapped into the RPG community here. It could be well worth the try!