2949: Meeting after the midden

Vladim

(OOC: Original posts by Vladim, thesloth & Suzuki Stumpy)

spacer.pngIt was late indeed when Dahr-Ol rose from the table, at Elfwyn’s subtle urging from afar, to go and to seek her and to speak with her. She guided him gently and quietly, giving her meaningful glances, to a corner of the Great Hall, far away from Viglar and the rest of his father’s weorod, where they would be out of sight.

The Viglundings were still in the hall, awake and boisterous but quite drunk, as Elfwyn had predicted. When Dahr-Ol sat, Elfwyn waited for a while, and soon came with drink and bread, and left them on his table. Then, pretending that the former Hill-Man had invited her to sit and stay a while, she joined him, approaching his table with feigned hesitation before sitting. Such a thing would likely have raised suspicion if it were any other time, and more likely still if theirs had been a large and strange gathering. At this late hour, Elfwyn deemed it safe enough to take the risk. At least for a little while.

’We may not have much time.’ she said at first, still hesitant and fearful, and looking over her shoulder. ’I may have to leave you at any time, to see to my duties. I will try to return, but until then, we can speak. If anyone interferes, pretend that you just wanted to hear tales of the Hill-folk or tidings from the north.’

spacer.pngDahr-Ol tore off a large hunk of bread and talked while he ate. He took small bites to allow him to ask questions around the food. The first few questions came in a torrent.

"That is not entirely untrue. I know Viglund's people are raiding for Thralls, but how could they have found our tribe so far up in the mountains? How far away are they ranging for thralls? Why have our own people not come down to pay them for the insult? The Hill-folk may not value freedom, but to let Viglund get away with this signals weakness. How long have you been here?"

spacer.png’Longer than I care for.’ said Elfwyn defiantly and glanced over at Barin’s table, noticing the dwarf’s presence. At length she gave the better answer: ’Half a year now, almost. Given over as tribute - such was my fate. He and his warriors have been raiding our lands regularly for months, when better weather allows it.’

She fell silent for a while, and leant in more closely, speaking in whispers. What she was about to say was intended only for Dahr-Ol’s ears, and she was fearful of being overheard. ’The Hill-folk have always been weak. Two things alone have allowed them to survive in the bleakness of the Black Hills. Their alliance with the wargs and orcs of Gundabad, and the barren landscape, which none other can endure or live in. After their defeat, the orcs and wargs were weakened, and as for the land…

The land is harsh still, but there are many who say that the Hill-folk sit on great treasures, long buried beneath old and forgotten ruins. The tale of Erebor has spread far and wide, and there are many dwarves and men whose gold-lust was not sated, not even with Smaug’s horde. There have been others before him: greedy men and lone, half-crazed dwarves, but Viglund was the first to lead organized raids into the Black Hills.’

She spoke of the Hill-folk as if they were strangers, as if she were not one of their blood, and with resentment that rivalled the one she harbored for the Viglundings. Indeed, she seemed to reserve great hatred for most men-folk and dwarves, or so it seemed from her harsh words.

Then she leant back again, and looked over at Barin’s table once more. ’Your friend? Is he here in the footsteps of his kinsfolk?’ she said, this time in a quiet voice, but no longer in whispers.

(OOC: @Suzuki Stumpy If Barin is nearby, he can certainly respond to the parts that he can overhear.)

spacer.pngCautously glancing around to ensure that no-one was likely to overhear the conversation, Barin raised his tankard as if in greeting to the flame-haired maiden.

"Aye lassie," he said just loud enough for the conversation to be heard by Elfwyn and Dahr-Ol, "you wouldn't be too far mistaken in that understanding. I'm here with the Big Man here and his compatriots due to being in the right place at the wrong time, but I am truthfully an emissary of King Dain sent to scout out the numbers and movements of the Orcs in the mountains to the North.

"One day, we will displace them, and then my kinfolk can return to their ancestral homes. The forges and mines will ring anew with the sounds of shovel, pick and hammer and trade and craftsmanship will flow once again.

"If, on the other hand, you refer to kinfolk suffering from the Dragon Sickness, then nay. I'm not in it purely for gold and riches. These things, whilst pleasant are but fleeting acquaintances and don't bring respite from the hardships of life for very long."

With that, he turned back to Núr and continued to keep a wary eye on the rest of the hall.

spacer.pngDahr-Ol nodded in Barin's direction.

"You would be amazed at what I have learned. Dwarves care for far more than just their gold and gems. And the elves, they are indeed proud but still honorable.

But the Hill men paying tribute in thralls, and the hills awash in foreigners? This is news indeed. Was it Barkan, Ogma's boy who gave you over? Does his nose still turn to the left where I put it?

How many of our people are enslaved here? And what of the orcs and goblins? By their smell I put their count at near 100. But then again, I was never any good at counting."

Dahr-Ol flashed a quick grin at the joke. He and Elfwyn had found an old tree being torn apart by a bear, working its way in towards a bee hive. Honey was a rare treat, and Dahr-Ol offered to distract the bear long enough for Elfwyn to take the honey. It was a stupid plan but honey was impossible to come by, and it was after all only one bear. As Dahr-Ol tossed a log past the bear into a bush the second bear rose up and both looked at the intruder. Dahr-Ol was just able scramble up a nearly shear cliff face and out of reach. He was certain one of the bears had pulled off his boot. Of greatest importance though, Elfwyn had kept the nerve to snatch the hive and get it properly sacked before the bears returned. It was several hours over a smoky campfire before the bees were departed or dulled sufficiently to consume their prize. It had been worth it, although he would never live down his inability to count to two.

spacer.pngElfwyn nodded quietly and absent-mindedly to Barin as he spoke and made his proclamations, as if they meant little to her. Curiously, she did not seem surprised or impressed, as if she had seen and spoken to dwarves before, despite the isolated nature of the Black Hills. Before long, she returned her attention to her childhood friend.

’Much has changed since your father’s departure…’ said Elfwyn to Dahr-Ol, offering a faint and short-lived smile. She seemed to remember the childhood incident still, and Dahr-Ol’s little jest had triggered that almost forgotten memory. She rubbed her wrists where she remembered the bees had stung, instinctively, before her thoughts were turned to grim and pressing matters again.

’It was Cynewulf, and for his treason he has paid already, I hear, though his death is of little comfort to me. Perhaps death would have been a better fate…’ She fell silent for a while, contemplating this briefly, before confirming the numbers Dahr-Ol had guessed from his nightly venture: about 100 human thralls, and, as Elfwyn supposed, more still in other Viglunding holdings and farmsteads to the South. For the orcs, she could not tell, except to confirm that there were indeed such thralls here.

Suddenly she shifted the subject, and spoke softly and quietly, to avoid being heard by any save Dahr-Ol and Barin and whatever companions had chosen to accompany them. Her tone was one of urgency. ’Your woods-woman companion… she spoke of the Lost Watchtower to the North. I overheard it when you all sat together. I know where it is. I can take you there. But we must hurry. There may be no better opportunity than tonight.’

spacer.pngDahr-Ol drew back at mention of the tower. Clearly they had not been as subtle as he thought. It made him wonder if Viglund's people were as sharp as Elfwyn.

"The tower is not my charge from Beorn. I am here to maintain good relations with Viglund who has always been a difficult neighbor to get along with from Beorn's perspective. The tower represents something different. My companions and I have all had very similar dreams about it. Something is happening and that tower is an important part of it. Telling Viglund that Beorn will not willingly work with a slave taker will sour our relationship here anyway. But to steal you away in the night, that will be an insult.

What is the chance we could find some way to purchase or win your freedom from Viglar in a contest?"

spacer.pngElfwyn shook her head in response to Dahr-Ol’s question. She tried to disguise it, but there was disappointment evident in her demeanor. Not at Dahr-Ol in particular, but a feeling somewhat akin to despair, as if her last hope for freedom had just been crushed by the news. Perhaps she had been dreaming of escape in these last few days, ever since she had noticed the former Hill-man’s presence here.

’He would not give me up easily. Viglund values strength and power only, and no contest that you have to offer would sate such desires.’ She fell silent. Her words had a sense of ultimacy: clearly, she believed that nothing in the world would change the cruel chieftain’s mind.

There was nothing more she could say on the matter, and so still she tried to change the Beorning’s mind, saying things that she thought the man did not yet perceive fully. ’You have been sent on a fool’s errant, I fear. Look around you. Do you truly believe that peace will be possible between his peoples and yours? War will be upon you, even if you or your lord may not wish for it. All you can do is prepare for its unavoidable coming.’

spacer.pngDahr-Ol exhaled heavily, it took the wind from his lungs when he realized the desperation she must feel.

"My heart knows you are right, every warrior has spoken of the spring and their desire for treasure and slaves. Viglund has been pressuring the free cottars, sometimes with barely spoken threats. My head wishes for it not to be me who strikes the first blow, but right is right. And I cannot leave a friend enslaved.

Go back to the kitchens. Find some excuse to prepare as much food as you can. When we do this, we will be hounded by every man in this weorod old enough to hold a sword. There will be no chance to hunt, probably no chance to rest. After we gain the tower, I want you to seek out a woman, who is of Hill man descent. Her name is Hawalda. The others spoke of her when they arrived. She has lived in these lands a long time and will likely know safe trails to bring you to Beorn. Or at least close enough.

What time should we seek you. In the deep watches before the morning? Or sooner? I must have some time to explain to my comrades that I am making them a dangerous enemy."

spacer.pngElfwyn listened eagerly, and the despair that was evident in her eyes just moments priors turned to hope almost instantly. A smile dared appear on her lips, this time neither bitter nor accompanying cynical words, but one of genuine gladness and gratitude. It was short-lived again, but only because circumstances did not allow it to linger too long.

’In the deep watches would be better. We can use the head start to our advantage.’ She rose and begun to follow the instructions that were given her, and nodded at the mention of Hwalda’s name. She clearly perceived that not all was decided yet. Others would have to weigh in on Dahr-Ol’s decision, and besides, escape was not guaranteed. But she was eager. Before leaving, she offered a few parting words of hope, whispered to both Barin and Dahr-Ol:

’This endeavor will not be utterly futile. Not necessarily. With the Yule now upon him, Viglund cannot afford to turn his attention away from the Free Cottars for long, not if he wishes to win them over. Not for a thrall, however highly valued. True, he cannot appear weak, and some will no doubt be dispatched to hunt us… but it will be after the Yule, by my guess. Not now, when he has labored so hard to demonstrate the glory and might of his precious weorod to these village-folk from the South.’

OOC

Unless Barin wishes to ask Elfwyn something, she will leave, as per Dahr-Ol’s instructions. Dahr-Ol and Barin (and Nur!) are free to discuss stuff after she leaves. For the sake of maintaining some reasonable timeline, I would rather let the others who are discussing with the horse-lord or Guthred finished their talks before everyone gets together again… though I could be persuaded to have Dahr-Ol and Barin join either if they drag on, if their players want to!

I also highly encourage any OOC / Discord discussions about what the fellowship plans to do next. I am totally on board with thesloth / Dahr-Ol’s decision here, but I would rather everyone agrees (OOC at a minimum, IC I have no problem with certain PCs being grumpy about it) and understands the stakes. I can happily pitch in also in these discussions to clarify things, if necessary (e.g. stakes).

spacer.pngAs Elfwyn walked away from the tables, Barin and Núr left theirs and moved to join Dahr-Ol.

Shortly after taking his seat, barin leant in, and in a whisper uttered the rebuke "Are you utterly mad, man?

"Whilst I can see you and this woman have history, and I cannot abide to see any in thrall to a warlord, the whole point of this endeavour is to avoid war. What you are suggesting will invite it more inevitably than an Elven prophecy.

"Think about your actions before you act. If we are not incredibly lucky, we ... no, YOU, will be left with no allies this side of Mirkwood. If you incite war, the Dwarves will be unable, and unwilling, to come to the aid of Beorn, as will the Elves I fear."

Taking a deep breath, he continued "I councel you to be extremely cautious in this endeavour. Nothing we do can tie the girl's escape to us, or our kinsmen. Beorn and his Thanes included in that list. If we do, I fear you will doom the entire region to bloodshed and strife.

"Still, I promised you my axe, and that holds still. Just I won't risk everything on the folly of a libido long past."

Harrumphing, he sat back, took a long draught of his ale, and awaited Dahr-Ol's response.