2950: On the missing dwarves

Vladim

(OOC: Original posts by Vladim, Suzuki Stumpy & thesloth)

When all at last had been said and done, and when Black Tom was finally satisfied with the answers and news the members of the company had provided, he allowed them to retire. He called for food and drink and lodgings. Although none of these things were as notable or plentiful as the Viglundings had offered, here at least the hospitality seemed untainted by all the things that afflicted Viglund and his peoples. Some small measure of privacy was arranged. Not private rooms, for such a thing was impossible, but the great hall was emptied at the chief’s behest, and given over to the company for the most part. Villagers did at times come, but they were discreet, and more often than not instructed to tend to the company’s needs.

And so, for a while, the company was left to its own devices.

spacer.pngAfter having warmed their bones and filled their bellies, the companions found themselves with time to discuss matters. It was as good a chance as any for Barin to inquire more about the missing dwarves, whom Elfwyn had mentioned previously.

When asked on the matter, Elfwyn simply repeated what she had said while all of them were on the road: that she had overheard the so-called ‘negotiations’, during which Viglund had behaved so heavy-handedly so as to offend the two dwarven emissaries. She also noted the suspicious circumstances of their departure: suspicious because Viglund had sent scouts to trail them, and from those he had learnt that the dwarves had travelled not back to Erebor, but to the west. She repeated that she did not know more on the matter. Still, there was perhaps some advantage to inquiring more of the Hill-woman; perhaps she might still remember some important detail.

spacer.pngThat evening, after the company had settled in and eaten their fill, Barin found himself sat comfortably near the fire.

It seemed an age since he'd last felt that comfortable and sated. Relaxed even. He nursed a flagon of ale and knocked the dottle from his pipe and leant back in his stool to stretch himself a little against the pillar behind him. Yes, this was a welcome respite from the travails he'd faced since leaving the Easterly Inn.

Breaking from his reverie, he sighed. He knew that he couldn't let the subject lie, and whether she was telling the truth or not when she said she knew no more, he had to be certain. If there was any hope that some detail, however minor, may have been overlooked, he had to know. It was his duty. To his King and his kinfolk.

Leaning forward he put his elbows on his knees and his chin in his hands, and in a low voice, he said "El ... ah ... Grimwyn. These two dwarves you mentioned seeing. Please, come, recount to me again all that you know of them and their visit, and of what might have transpired in Viglunds hall after their departure. Spare me none of the details as I must know. This is important. I know not why they may have been here in Viglund's lands as I was given no indication prior to my departure from Erebor as to anyone else being sent this way, but if they were sent here by King Dain, then it may well be the case that they were searching for Núr and myself as we were supposed to be scouting the North for the presence of Orc and Goblin tribes in the lands of our forefathers. So please, I implore you, rack your mind for anything you know that may be of import."

spacer.pngLooking perplexed for a moment, ‘Grimwyn’ thought for a while, as if trying hard to recall all the details she could about the encounter. ’Truly?’ she said in disbelief to Barin’s words. ’They seemed like important, high-ranking envoys to me. Well-dressed, well-equipped, well-provisioned. But if you say that your king did not send them, then… I do not know. Perhaps they were looking for you and your kin, but they spoke not of it. Are you certain your king would not have sent them independently of you?’

When she received her reply, she continued. ’I… I think one of them was called Gorlig. Or so I overheard. I could be wrong. As for the rest of it… what I know I have already told you. But I guess it does not hurt to repeat; perhaps I missed some detail that is important to you.

As I said: I thought they were sent to negotiate some kind of arrangement with Viglund. My guess would be some kind of toll payment for passage from the Narrows towards the Vales. Many dwarves use that route, and Viglund controls the passage; as his power grows, so does his influence. But I think he asked for too heavy a price, and that offended the dwarves.

Does any of this help?’ she asked before continuing her tale.

OOC

Feel free to roll Lore (TN 14) to see if Barin knows of this Gorlig.

spacer.pngAt the mention of the name Gorlig, Barin's brow creased as he racked his brains to see if it was someone he knew, or at least knew of their clan, but no recollection sprung to mind.

But, what the woman had said set him ill at ease, if the pair had not been sent by King Dain, then who? The fact they were well dressed, spoke of riches, and there were no wealthy clans this far west of Erebor as far as he knew, so this ... Gorlig, must have been a fairly high-ranking member of Dwarven society. Then again, he mused, he himself had only been elevated to the upper echelons of socitety these past couple of years or so, so anything was possible.

Negotiating tolls for the narrows though, that would make some sense, but if that were all that was under negotiation, then why would Viglund have them tailed upon leaving, and if the negotiations had not borne fruit, then surely, they would have had no recourse other than to return to Erebor to report.

Something still didn't ring true to Barin's ears. Not that he thought the girl was lying. Just that there was something he was still missing and couldn't quite put his finger on.

At length, he gave voice to his concerns, "Hmm ... there's still something I don't get." He began.

"I know not this Gorlig. Although that's no guarantee as to whether he was sent by King Dain or not, and truth be told, I don't find it so unusual that my King would have sent other envoys to the North on other errands than my own.

"But, there's something about this that I cannot quite wrap myself around. One, if they were sent to purely negotiate a toll, why would Viglund have them followed upon leaving? There must have been something else, some other motive that he picked up on which we are missing.

"When they left, you mentioned before, that they continued westward. This also makes no sense. If they'd been sent to negotiate passage, then failure of those negotiations would imply a failure of their mission, and so leave them no recourse other than to return to Erebor.

"There's something we are missing. But what?

"If there is anything else, you can recall, please, now is the time to tell. This could be vitally important. If my kinsmen are here, then. I need to know. If they are in danger, then they should be warned. If they are rogue agents, then I have to find out why and get this information to my King."

spacer.pngElfwyn returned Barin’s confusion with some of her own; truth be told, she had no definitive answers, only guesses, from information cobbled together out of everything she had overheard, and out of knowing Viglund and his ways more intimately than any other in the company.

’I cannot say for certain.’ she begun. ’But that is only half of the tale, as I have said before. When the negotiations fell through, Gorlig and his companion departed hastily, but they spoke of a westward journey, and of the old manses of their kin. I do not know what they meant by it. The legends and tales of my folk speak of forgotten ruins beneath the Misty Mountains; vast underground palaces that were once raised by your ancient kin, but abandoned to the goblins over the ages. Perhaps this is what they meant… though to journey there in winter would be suicide.’

That was, of course, only one possibility. The other, which Elfwyn knew precious little about, was that these emissaries, or whatever they were, were to continue beyond the mountains and to the West, to reach at last the Blue Mountains, where Barin’s kin still held onto their ancient holdings. If such were the case, then they should have travelled southwards, to the lands of the Beornings, and from there take the High Pass to cross to the other side of the mountains. But such a journey would be only marginally less suicidal than investigating what lay beneath the Misty Mountains themselves, at this harsh time of year.

Whatever it was, Elfwyn could shed no light as to why Viglund would let them pass unmolested, if the negotiations had proven fruitless. But she did venture a guess. ’Viglund is a greedy man. I reckon he knows the same tales that I was raised with, and the legends of dwarven palaces beneath the Misty Mountains, and of their buried and forgotten hidden treasures. His spies, I believe, were meant to tail the dwarves, and to discover anything they could about such things, by whatever means necessary. I cannot say what happened, but these spies of his did return to the hall a week later. What they discovered… That, I trust, was for Viglund’s ears only.’

spacer.png"Gaah!" Exclaimed Barin, as he gave vent to his frustrations. Sitting up, he waved his palms in a placatory gesture toward the obviously startled woman, "Calm, calm. My apologies, lass. There's something here we're missing, and it's nay your fault, nor mine.

"Our journey will likely take us into the ancestral realms of my people before we're done, and I suspect, as did Nori back at the Easterly Inn, that Mahal will speak to us once more and lend guidance.

"Sadly, the locations of the ancestral mountain homes this side of the Misty Mountains is all but lost after too many wars and incursions from the agents of shadow to know precisely where they headed.

"I'm guessing that their journey west will have taken them far further north of here? So there's likely no sense in asking our host if he's seen, or heard anything of their passing?"

He sucked thoughtfully on the stem of his pipe, wreathed in the sweet tobacco smoke as he continued his ruminations.

"Núr, my lad," he said at length, "Have a look through your maps and travel books. See if there's anything that might be of use to us in there - any locations or tell of old Manses, caches or aught. I doubt you'll find anything of material use, but, well, it's worth a short anyway."

spacer.pngspacer.png

While Núr eagerly and obediently did as he was told, Elfwyn looked at the maps, notes and books he produced from his bags confused, as she was not all too familiar with such things. Her peoples relied on memory and tales and practical knowledge to navigate their lands, and had little use for maps anyway, since they rarely, if ever, left their Vales or crossed the rivers willingly. Alas, the young dwarf’s quest was a fruitless one: he knew tales and legends aplenty, as did all the folk of Durin, but when it came to specifics, he could not pin down any of the old palaces save the one most famous: Moria. But that was far to the south, away from these lands. It could not have been the one Gorlig sought.

As for Elfwyn, she sighed at the futility of it all, and then, with a shrug, she answered Barin’s question with an open admission of ignorance. ’It could be that they passed through these lands… after all, crossing the Anduin above the North Ford is difficult, if not impossible. Whether they stopped here or not is another matter… but it cannot hurt to ask.’

spacer.pngBarin did not sleep easily that night. Thoughts and possibilities concerning the two Dwarves running over and over in his mind.

It was not so much that they had been sent - after all, he wasn't the exclusive emissary from Erebor after all, and he had been gone quite some time now with no report back. No, it was more the fact that after apparently being rebuffed by Viglund, why his kinsmen would continue on to the west and not return home to report.

Something was amiss, of that he was certain. And he would need to get to the base of it.

He resolved to speak to Black Tom on the morrow, to see if he could glean any more news as it appeared that the girl, unless she was holding something back, had naught more to add to the subject.

As the new day dawned, he was up early and set-to performing a few minor chores around their hosts' household, and at the earliest opportunity, he strode up to Black Tom whilst he himself was out and about his steading.

"Tom!" He called in greeting. "If I may, I would like a moment of your time to discuss a matter of some concern? In private if we may?"

He waited paitently whilst Tom completed his existing tasks, and once free, the pair walked over to a quiet corner outside the main hall. Their host waiting patiently for Barin to speak.

"This matter concerns two kinsmen of mine who may have passed this way.

"I have it on some good authority that they were seen speaking with Viglund some small time before I and my companions arrived at his hall. Supposedly emissaries from Erebor, although I am not aware of them by name or of description and can see no reason as to why my King would have sent relative strangers to negotiate with one such as he.

"They were allegedly rebuffed and then continued on to the west. Viglund obviously saw or heard enough from their conversations to have them followed, at least for some time, which also makes me more curious." He continued to recount as much as he knew about their story (which, admittedly wasn't much).

"So," he concluded, "there isn't much to go by, but if there's any possibility that they may have passed this way, I am hopeful that you may know - or know of someone within your demesne who may, as otherwise, my trail goes cold."

spacer.png’Hm…’ said Black Tom as he walked by Barin’s side, the two of them away from prying eyes, discussing the matter of the two missing dwarves. ’I do not remember them… but your kin do pass occasionally through these lands, though most continue southwards, and cross the Anduin at the Old Ford, which is guarded by the folk of Beorn. But there is something that makes your tale a familiar one…’ he added, and smoked some, as if the deed would help to jolt his memory, sharing it with the far-travelled dwarf, as he was by now beginning to enjoy his company. ’I think I heard something a few weeks ago… something akin to the tale you spoke of. I think it was old Osgardar who told me this. Come, follow me. You may find your answers yet.’

spacer.pngIt did not take long for the chieftain to find this Osgardar inside his homestead, which was somewhat apart from the main village. As if the old man preferred solitude over being close to the rest of the Free Cottars here. After the obligatory introductions were made, and the matter explained to him slowly, Osgardar nodded and beckoned Barin to come closer, for his hearing was as bad as his eyesight. ’They passed through, but they did not stay…’ he said with a feeble voice. ’Two dwarves, one Gorlig and another… Ginar was his name, I think…’ He scratched his bristly chin and looked to Barin, trying to understand if either of the names reminded their kinsman of anything.

Mechanics

Barin can give me another Lore check (TN 14) to see if he knows of this ‘Ginar’; I can provide the info if it succeeds. In addition, he can attempt a Riddle (TN 14) and an Insight (TN 14) check to notice some other things. Since Barin has the Cunning trait, he can use it to auto-succeed on either of these two checks, if he so wishes. But the trait invocation forfeits the roll, and it can’t be used on the second one (e.g. Barin can use Cunning to auto-succeed on Riddle, but then he’d have to roll Insight, or vice-versa).

spacer.pngHe listened intently as the old man recounted the telling of the two dwarves, trying to pick up on anything that might give him a hint of why they were in the region and where they may be headed.

Upon hearing the name Ginar, Barin's head jerked up and he looked directly at Osgardar. Yes, he remembered this name ... where was it? ... whe- ah, yes! Now he recalled it. Some young pup, eager to impress pretty much everyone with tales of his martial prowess and his lineage - at least his claimed lineage.

So the question was whether the pair were really there under the mandate of King Dain, or whether they were merely a couple of chancers out for adventure and riches.

He snorted back a barked laugh at this last thought. But, there was something ... else. He couldn't help but feel that there was something the old man still wasn't telling him.

"Hah! I thank you for this." he replied once Osgardar had concluded his tale. "Whilst I do not recognise this Gorlig, the name of Ginar is known to me, albeit in passing. We must have met some year or so ago perhaps. He was brash and full of himself, eager to prove his worth so it seemed."

He sighed and shook his head slightly. "And so is the way that the young end up dead upon the swords and spears of The Enemy, or else become heroes. I fear there is no middle-ground in this.

"I thank you for your time sir, your tale has been of much use to me in piecing together the movements if not the motives of the pair." Rising, he bowed to the oldster before turning to take his leave. Then pausing with his hand on the door, he suddenly turned back, "There is something else though, isn't there. Something more you are not telling me. I can tell in the tone of your voice, and the look on your face. Pray tell sir. What else is there?"

spacer.pngOsgardar narrowed his eyes, as if they were straining under the bright winterscape, as he looked through a window. ’Eh…’ he begun, reluctantly, as if unsure if he should proceed, or how.

Given what he was about to explain, it would seem later to Barin and in hindsight that he feared being perceived as rude, or prejudiced against his kin.

’They seemed… hasty, as if they didn’t want to stay, despite the foul weather and my offer of shelter. I would even say… mistrustful. A little strange... wary, or even on edge...’ He looked at Barin, somewhat worried, and added quickly: ’But! It could have been my old eyes and ears again! I cannot always see and hear all.’ He closed his eyes and bowed his head, as if apologizing almost to the dwarf.

Regardless, the evidence seemed to fit: why else would the two dwarves avoid the village, choosing instead to stop briefly at an outlying house like Osgardar’s? Most likely the experience with Viglund and his men had left them bitter of all Men-folk…

OOC

We are nearing the end of what Barin can do to follow the leads… for now. Unless of course you have some idea I have not foreseen, in which case I am happy to be surprised! Before we close this for the time being, I do suggest Barin goes to talk to Elfwyn one last time, though!

spacer.png

Barin could see that the old man was chagrined by his reluctance to say more, and felt a little guilty for pressuring him. He walked back to Osgardar and placed a reassuring hand upon the old man's shoulder.

"I thank you for your candour. No, do not worry. I take no insult from your words. It may indeed that this pair may have their own ends in mind, or it may be that previous encounters has sown a distrust of all menfolk in this area. Only they will know the contents of their own hearts, and until I find them, they keep their own council.

"I will leave you now to your day. Once more, you have my thanks."

With that, Barin nodded once to Osgardar before turning back to the door, and with a short not to Black Tom to indicate he was done, strode back outside into the daylight.

Shortly he turned towards Tom and proffered a hand. "I thank you for this, and apologise if I have caused any distress to your loyal people. Whilst I am no further along in my efforts to know the minds of my kinsmen, it is comforting to know that the trail has most certainly not gone cold."

Finally, he walked back to the main hall before taking his leave of his host.

Later that evening, after their meal was concluded, he sought out Elfwyn once more. "So," he began, "I have been asking around about our two dwarven friends, and have some further information that I hope may jog your memory further if you have time?" He then proceeded to recount the further details that he had unearthed that day, eventually concluding with, "... and there you have it. Does this help? Is there anything further you can recall of them? Their motives? Their conversation? Their destination?"

spacer.pngThe dwarf and the until-oh-so-very-recently thrall sat together and spoke for a good while about everything that Barin had discovered from both Black Tom and old Osgardar. Elfwyn listened carefully; by now, she understood that the matter meant much to Barin, and was eager to help him. And she certainly tried, straining her memory for a considerable length of time in an effort to remember all the details of the meeting… an effort that eventually proved futile, as she merely repeated that which Barin had already heard from her before.

Elfwyn could read the disappointment on the dwarf’s face, and she looked at him apologetically, as if regretting that she had not paid closer attention to the matter at the time. Yet there was little else she could do about it.

But there was a silver lining to it: for by now the Hill-woman seemed determined to get to the bottom of this, and appeared as invested as Barin was about the matter. ’As you say, the trail has not gone cold,’ she said with resolve, ’and I know just who could tell us more. Viglund’s spies: I know their names, their faces, and more yet. Ivar and Thorwald they are called,’ she explained and she clenched her fists, as if she owed them a debt, ’two of Viglund’s warriors, members of his weorod. They were there, mingling with the others, celebrating the Yule, though I doubt they would respond kindly to any questions about your missing kin… Yet it is from them that you must extract an answer, should you find yourself under Viglund’s roof again.’

OOC

I believe the scene can end here, for the time being, though feel free to add stuff if you want (and the dialogue can continue of course, if you want, or you can pursue other ways to investigate).

Elfwyn clearly dislikes Ivar and Thorwald; that is plain to see and does not require any Skill check. An Insight check (TN 14) reveals that it goes a bit more deeply than that; Elfwyn is out for vengeance, and this is one of the reasons she seems interested in helping Barin.

spacer.png

"Aye. I feel you may be right lass. Although it may be a while until we find ourselves back under Viglund's roof. Please, if I may impose still further, keep your eyes and ears alert to any sign of a pair of dwarves passing as we progress. Who knows what a careless slip of the tongue may reveal, eh?"

With that, the conversation moved to general smalltalk and planning for the group's eventual onward journey...

Dahr-Ol perked up at mention of Viglund's spies.

"Elfwyn, how likely is it that Viglund will send those two after us once he realizes you did not run south? Mayhap we can arrange a meeting with them for Barin in the near future."