Khaine

Blaeringr

spacer.png

Khaine is a friendly young man who has spent his life working the farm that sits in the farmland known as Prosper Bay. He has never travelled as far as the city of Carisport before, but he is excited to finally be here. A few years ago, an older man had visited and worked on the farm for a few months. His name was Kurnous While he had been there he had revealed that he was a warrior who used strange techniques to make his own body a weapon. He saw something in the young Khaine, and the two became friends and the older man trained Khaine in the basics of his art. Khaine was a quick study, and he took to the skills, techniques and discipline like a duck to water. Several months had passed, and the man told him it was time to move on. Khaine was upset to see the man leave but promised he would follow him once he was old enough. True to his word, Khaine is ready to head out and make something of himself. He hopes to learn more of the man in his travels, and hopes to find him again. The man had spoken of a lost temple, where his martial art had been taught. He had been searching for it, and now Khaine would do the same.

In truth the city is not that much older than Khaine, and it is a place of new beginnings and many meetings. Kurnous almost certainly visited the city and someone among the throngs of people must know where he went next. He might even still be there somewhere. Khaine has been in the city a few days, the initial overwhelming culture shock of seeing so many people, seeing so many buildings, so many different types of people, has finally begun to pass and Khaine has wandered about looking for work and rumours of his old master. He has not gotten any leads on the later, but he has banded together with a few other fresh faced individuals to find a contract.

His goals are to improve his own skills through experiencing the world, to uncover more information about his master and to find where he fits in this new world. Now that he has met some friends, he is eager to see what the world has to offer.

image.png

Edited by omegoku (see edit history)

Khaine found a place to stay at with some friends who work seasonally on the farms the same area.

The morning of New Year's he spent some time watching a demonstration by students of a local hand to hand combat school. Something about the instructor feels a bit off. The man has a much harder edge to him than Kurnous, and many of his students seem afraid of him.

The abundant food on offer for the day's festivities expose Khaine to a vast variety of aromas and flavors he hasn't experienced before

He's also noticed that some of the people gathering in Stonecutters Plaza are rather drunk already for this early in the day.

spacer.png

Khaine said goodbye to his friends from Carisport, they had been kind to put him up. But he didn't want to get too used to it and end up with another seasonal farming job. He pushed himself through the crowds and enjoyed the food. It was too early to start drinking for him, instead he went to watch a demonstration on hand to hand. Perhaps the instructor there would know something about Kurnous?

He watched for a while, noticing some similarities with the style he was familiar with. But he didn't like how the instructor dealt with his students. He was overly harsh and they seemed afraid. Kurnous had pushed him hard, had caused him pain and given him bumps and bruises. But nothing like this. He stepped forward at a quiet time to speak with the instructor. He decided to smile and be friendly, as his mother would have suggested.

"Hail friend, I am Khaine. I count myself as a fellow student of the martial arts. Can you tell me more about your school?"

"I'm Master Gault," he says, slightly turning his head, arms crossed. "My school is for recruits from the town watch. If we can't have fancy gear like the big cities," he waves towards the harbor and the sea, "least we should have good training."

spacer.png

Khaine watched and listened.

"Training for town watch recruits? Now that is a good idea! Use what we have, and not lament what we don't have. Very wise sir. Would it be rude of me to make some suggestions? The pursuit of martial arts is a quest of knowledge first and foremost is it not?"

Khaine was not the best at reading men and their intentions. He didn't know if that man would use the knowledge for good or for ill. But it sounded to Khaine that his school was founded for a good reason, even if the students did not seem too happy. If allowed, he would show the man the first stance for Ki control. He would not mention why it worked, or the reasoning, beyond allowing the body to flow naturally. But even that first lesson would improve all the fighting skills of everyone here, which would allow them to protect their town better and be more likely to survive an attack.

spacer.png

Khaine was a little taken aback by the mans words. In truth, he hadn't really thought about it but it was true. He was a mercenary now. Working for gold, likely using violence against other folk. It was a big change. He took a moment and replied.

"I am young, sir. And new to the mercenary life but I do have experience with using my hands and fists to fight. I can see flaws in your pupils movements. They appear clear to me, relying on the sheer strenght of the person, rather than applying the strenght with skill. If you do not want more knowledge, then I will leave you to it. Good luck to you and your pupils."

Khaine wasn't about to push his philosophy on this man. He was clearly used to running things, and had a way of doing things. Better for the river to flow around such a boulder, than to crash into it.

"Oh my! Ha ha ha. You think highly of yourself!" He seems perhaps a little amused, but probably more insulted, though trying to appear brave. "The boys need whatever discipline they can get, no matter where they can find it. Tell you what, if you can show us what you mean, there's 3 crowns (gold) in it for you, and a written commendation from me."

"Boys! Halt!" he calls out. "Sig! Change of plans for your demonstration," he calls to one of the bigger students, wearing armor, tall, and built like a bear. He looks to Khaine, "If you are sure you want to do this, Sig is a good example of 'sheer strength'. Do you want to do this til knockout, or first to three strikes?"

Sig.JPG.d7252c5e1d9988579d2a2e9064a5aace.JPG

Edited by Blaeringr (see edit history)

image.png.5608fb58dc41e0a2a069cca4bb5ee382.png

Khaine - Human Monk 1

HP: 21/21 | AC: 19 | Speed: 25ft | Hero: 1/3 

Perception: +4 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +9 | Will: +6 

Statistics | Equipment | Abilities | Skills

Conditions :

Khaine didn't want a fight, but he was not above a test of skill. His master had always said it was application of knowledge when the understanding truely began. He smiled at the man.

"I would be honoured to spar with one of your pupils. Let us see if I can get my point across. First to three strikes would be fine."

He moved to stand before the tall, armoured man. He bowed, his left fist pressed against his right palm. He was certainly feeling nervous in front of the crowd of pupils and on lookers, but he was confident in his masters teachings.

"Well met Sig. Lets have some fun?"

He slipped into a stance where he was half crouched, his arms held before him in claws. With a sudden burst of speed he moved to close the gap, striking with both 'claws' before hopping backward and waiting.

Action 1 : Tiger Stance

Action 2 : Flurry of Blows

Action 3 : Step back 10ft

Name
Tiger Claw Attack
1d20+7 19
Damage (Slashing)
1d8+2 3
Tiger Claws Attack
1d20+3 4
Damage (Slashing)
1d8+2 6

The demonstration of breaking planks and choreographed fights pauses for a bit, and the crowd seems excited for an actual bout. Captain Erik gets the crowd riled up for Sig to put the presumptuous country boy in his place. With jeers and giggles, it seems Khaine has effectively been set up as the heel for this match.

Name
initiative for Khaine
1d20+4 16
initiative for Sig
1d20+6 14

Round 1:

Khaine crouches slightly, careful to demonstrate the balance and foot work he was trying to communicate to Erik Gault about. He closes in, surprising Sig with a quick rake of his "claws", careful not to draw actual blood, but still leaving bruises with his first strike, despite the man wearing armor. Sig recovers quickly despite the shock in his eyes, and manages to evade the second attack.

Sig closes back in with Khaine, and attempts to return the favor, showing careful control in his strikes.

• action 1: stride up to Khaine
  • actions 2 & 3: exacting strikeYou make a controlled attack, fully accounting for your momentum. Make a Strike. The Strike gains the following failure effect.

Failure This attack does not count toward your multiple attack penalty.

Edit: I made a mistake on the damage, that's 5 instead of 7

Edited by Blaeringr (see edit history)
Name
strike 1
1d20+6 2
strike 2
1d20+6 19
nonlethal damage
1d4+3 4

image.png.5608fb58dc41e0a2a069cca4bb5ee382.png

Khaine - Human Monk 1

HP: 21/21 | AC: 19 | Speed: 25ft | Hero: 1/3 

Perception: +4 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +9 | Will: +6 

Statistics | Equipment | Abilities | Skills

Conditions :

Khaine hadn't expected the big man to be so quick. His look of shock and pain quickly turned to a smile.

"Sig! You just made my day."

He took a moment, taking a deep breath, then burst forward at lightning speed. He renewed his attack, his twin clawed hands lashing out again. He raked them across the big man, his finger tips seeking weak points. Even as the strikes rained down, he seemed to spring back and away from the bigger man.

Action 1 : Ki Strike spell

Action 2 : Flurry of Blows

Action 3 : Step back 10ft

Name
Tiger Claw
1d20+8 20
Damage (Slashing) Crit!
1d8+2 8
Damage (Force) from Ki Strike
1d6 2
Tiger Claw