OOC Discussion

Blaeringr

nice! Which thread do you want the turn posted in, the main one or the combat one? (Alternatively I could post the mechanics in the combat thread then write a more flowery description in the main thread)

Posted (edited)

@Orgoth8Without moving, I believe you're out of range (30 ft) for that spell.

If Weylin steps to the edge of the ledge, that's 30 ft to the floor, maybe 25 ft to the top of the ooze, 27 to the top of the goblin. Then 15 ft horizontally to the goblin and 20 to the ooze.

Height = a = 27

Length = b = 15

Diagonal = c

27*27 + 15*15 = c*c = 729 + 225 = 954

c = 30.9 feet to the goblin if Weylin were laying on his belly on the ledge, and 32 ft to the ooze

Gotta go with a longer range spell like Maybell did.

Edited by Blaeringr (see edit history)

@Blaeringr Would Widen Spell work? Would use my first of 3 actions, but am uncertain if the spell would count as a "line" since it doesn't explicitly state a line but "1-2 targets"

You manipulate the energy of your spell, causing it to spread out and affect a wider area. If the next action you use is to Cast a Spell that has an area of a burst, cone, or line and does not have a duration, increase the area of that spell. Add 5 feet to the radius of a burst that normally has a radius of at least 10 feet (a burst with a smaller radius is not affected). Add 5 feet to the length of a cone or line that is normally 15 feet long or smaller, and add 10 feet to the length of a larger cone or line.

That will work if we take liberties with Weylin's placement at the beginning of combat; I'll put him right at the edge of the ledge instead of 5 ft back. He's crouching (nothing needed mechanically, he's just casting with his hand down low instead of pointed straight out) to cast it and that should just reach them both. Will update combat post.

No point in torturing you guys over not knowing every detail perfectly. Weylin in a sorcerer, striving to master his art and know his spells inside and out. Orgoth8 is a fallible pilot for Weylin. We're all here to have fun, and I don't get off on you guys losing.

Posted (edited)

@daltar I tried the same thing as with Weylin, moving Maybell right onto the edge of the ledge. I took another 5 ft off the height for the top of the ooze being a generous 5 feet high, and with the horizontal distance away still being 20 ft, that leaves you 2 ft short of hitting with TP. I can't quite figure out how to make that reach. Weylin, being just slightly closer, still needed metamagic to stretch it out and make it work. Please redo your turn.

Counting horizontally:

• 5 ft to Chelia's square
  • 10 ft for 2nd diagonal to square between Chelia and ooze
  • 5 ft more to the ooze's square

For the same two actions, she could drop her viol, draw her bow and shoot the ooze, who have really low AC. We could keep the attack roll, and take the 4 from the 2d6, add her inspirational damage for 5? Does that work?

20240105_190219.jpg.5d227f5ad22d6201649ba96ba042f070.jpg

20240105_190344.jpg.521313fd708cc0550878d4ac75e848d8.jpg

Oh damn, right the height...

Hmmmg... I don't think the bow shot will help much, Maybell is awful at it. I'll just inspire courage and move closer to the edge of the ledge.

Posted (edited)

Awful or not, you're aiming for 9 AC. You already rolled a 23 to hit. A critical hit, except oozes are immune to crits. And I already put her as close as she can get without going down the rope (just hand waving her 5 ft closer without taking an action)