Chapter 1: A Grey Beginning (Group 2)

Anthr4xus

Ardir Hálilúëa

Humble Farrier, Shadar-Kai Barbarian

AC: 15 (AC Bonus) | HP: 15/15 (1d12+3) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 13, Insight 13, Investigation 10

Having gathered back his maul and javelins, the weight of war settled again over Ardir's shoulders. Stopping with Oma had been a welcome respite from the rain, but now for Silbervas. Now to return home, and face the horror of its ruin. He feels Tysh's eye on him, and turns a smile her way.

"Good of you to offer Oma a blessing, a pity she wasn't ready to receive it."

As Kain dug through the midden he closely examined the bones. They were in bad condition, softened and splintered before being discarded, which only quickened the speed rot and decay took hold. It took a little bit of digging, the arms of Kain's coat and armor getting caked with refuse and rot, but he finally found roughly half of a clearly elven skull buried under a collection of shards from what Kain is fairly certain are bear bones.

TokenofKnight.png.de234c18cb6ebd84fc5012b5ecabde96.png

Kain Dorset

Noble Knight

AC: 19 (Chain & Shield) | HP: 13/13 (1d10+3) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Passive Perception 14, Insight 12, Investigation 12

Proficient Skills: Athletics (+6), Perception (+4), Survival (+4), History (+4), Persuasion (+3)
Str: 19 (+4) | Dex: 15 (+2) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 15 (+2) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 13 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, and Dwarvish

“My words,” Kain Dorset says. | ‘My thoughts,’ Sir Kain Dorset thinks. | My actions . . .

After putting together the skull and a few other bits of humanoid bones, Kain shows Scarby his findings.

"I am not sure if we should leave her be, as she did not harm us though the intent was there with Harin. She could kill another, and that would be on us for not stopping her, but I do believe we should tell the others and quick like. The dark powers that control these lands could take special notice of possible cannibalism, if in fact that was elven meat and not the bear bits in here to. What say you?"

Kain looked to Scarby and then back to the hut. He was not from these lands, nor was Scarby and neither of them had any real stake in what happened to the people here... yet. However Kain was not one to want to overlook this kind of thing. Even if the bear was all that was in the stew this time, she has elven remains in her garbage, and had been planning something for Harin...

OOC

Movement: —

Action:  —

Bonus Action: —

Reaction: —

image.png.3e736a48b8ce854d4a5f32a89944b99b.png Tysh Mountainheart

Hill Dwarf Acolyte Twilight Cleric

AC: 18 (Heavy Armor & Shield) | HP: 12/12 (1d8+3+1) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 13, Insight 15, Investigation 11
Str: 12 (+1) | Dex: 11 (+0) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 12 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, and Celestial

Encumbrance: 70.5 lbs (60lbs/120lbs/180lbs)

Satisfied that her companions are well, Tysh looks back to the hut and smiles faintly. She turns back to the group and looks them over once more. Scarby and Kain are digging in the ground and whispering to one another. Odd, for sure. She'll ask them about it later. As her eyes drift over the rest of her companions in their various states of readiness, they settle on Ardir, waiting for the signal that he's ready to go. He turns moments later and flashes her a smile. Without hesitation, she returns his smile warmly and walks towards him as he speaks.

"My intentions were good, but I fear I may have offended her. I should have asked her permission first," she admits with a slight blush. "I was impressed by your singing for Oma when we first arrived. I had no idea you were so talented! Hopefully you'll sing for us some more. Don't expect me to join in, though: I couldn't carry a tune if it was in a bucket."

Tysh giggles, the sound joyous and warm. She moves closer to Ardir until she is mere inches away. She looks up into his eyes; her smile softens.

She lowers her voice, mindful of the others around them. "You mentioned what might be waiting for you in Silbervas. Whatever we may find, know that you don't face it alone. I am with you, we are with you." She almost seems to correct herself, conscious of possibly being too friendly. "How can I best support you?"

OOC

Movement: 

Action: 

Bonus Action: 

Reaction: 

image.jpeg.21bad33c8c65125f92548f2f50a82a1d.jpeg

Scarborough "Scarby" Foster

Human Sailor, Fighter

AC: 15 (Studded Leather)| HP: 12/12 (1d10+2) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Passive Perception 13, Insight 13, Investigation 8

Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common

Scarby's head whirls and spins, reeling back to a place he long buried away and now rushing back up to the surface. To his horror, he realizes his stomach is growling rather than churning in revulsion. "Men at sea do... desperate things..." the old sailor mutters to himself in a voice that sounds distant and trails off.

Coming to his senses again as his vision blurs but concentrates on remaining focused on the strange skull, Scarby turns to Kain and in a harsh whisper says, "aye lad, this be a monster who can not be allowed to live!"

Edited by Otog (see edit history)

Ardir Hálilúëa

Ardir chuckles ruefully, "I count myself no great singer, though many ears prize the timbre of elfin voices."

At Tysh's approach and whispered question, he simply hangs his head and gives her arm a squeeze, returning her low tones in kind. "Thank you, friend... thought it is hard to say what you can do. Likely as not, we'll just find empty homes, and I'll know little more than I do now. But if I find my beloveds shambling among the dead... I don't know if I'll fly into a rage or collapse entirely. If it comes to it... watch my back, make me eat, don't take any harsh words or mulish silences personally."

Str: 12 (+1) | Dex: 11 (+0) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 12 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, and Celestial

Encumbrance: 141.5 lbs (60lbs/120lbs/180lbs)

As Ardir speaks, Tysh's smile changes into a slight frown. She lays her hand atop his hand that rests on her arm and gives it a reassuring squeeze.

"I will look out for you, whatever form that takes," she vows in a solemn whisper. Comfortable but heavy silence blooms between them. She squeezes his hand once more before lowering her own. Her brows knit together, forming a shallow crease between them. 

"If we find your beloveds among the undead, their souls are long gone. They will not know the unnatural beings that they've become. You probably already know that as well as I do at this point, but that may be hard to remember in the moment."

Tysh continues carefully, voice steady and words gentle. She closely watches his reaction. "If we find them and if it's possible, we should honor their memories by freeing their bodies from undeath. If you find yourself unable, I will grant them rest."

OOC

Movement: 

Action: 

Bonus Action: 

Reaction: 

Edited by jrsey
Corrected encumbrance (see edit history)

HarinHarin Avosi

Half-elf Sage, College of Lore Bard

AC: 14 (Leather) | HP: 10/10 (1d8+2) | Speed: 30 ft. (unencumbered)
Senses: passive Perception 14, Insight 14, Investigation 11
Str: 7 (-2) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 18 (+4)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, Dwarvish, Gnomish, and Halfling

As Harin gets up to start heading out with the others, he notices Scarby and Kain standing over a pile of refuse, talking rather animatedly yet quietly over a handful of bones. Curious, he goes over to them.

"Gentlemen! What's all this about, then? Find something interesting?"

OOC

Action: —

TokenofKnight.png.de234c18cb6ebd84fc5012b5ecabde96.png

Kain Dorset

Noble Knight

AC: 19 (Chain & Shield) | HP: 13/13 (1d10+3) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Passive Perception 14, Insight 12, Investigation 12

Proficient Skills: Athletics (+6), Perception (+4), Survival (+4), History (+4), Persuasion (+3)
Str: 19 (+4) | Dex: 15 (+2) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 15 (+2) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 13 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, and Dwarvish

“My words,” Kain Dorset says. | ‘My thoughts,’ Sir Kain Dorset thinks. | My actions . . .

Looking to Harin, Kain nods silently and makes a motion back to were the group has gathered. "Sadly yes, we have, and we all need to discuss it." Leaning in closer to Harin he adds in a lower voice; "You were in there longer than the rest, are you feeling anything wrong with yourself? If you are we will need to know as it may help us identify what she is, as she obviously isn't fully human."

Moving over to the group Kain motions for them to gather around. "You all may not yet be willing to accept that Oma is a threat yet as I still believe you lot may be charmed, however I do have proof that those of you who ate her food may wish to vomit it back up." Kain removes the elven skull and some other humanoid bones from under his cloak, making sure to show the marrow had been sucked from them. "There were also some animal bones too, but considering these humanoid bones have been feasted on as well, its logical to think there could have been an elf or other person in that stew as well. Same for the bread, as many farmers use the blood of the animals they kill for sausage and bread, she could have done the same with this poor souls blood."

Kain tries to hand the remains to Tysh, "Perhaps you can give this poor soul some peace and a proper burial."

OOC

Action:  —

Tysh gingerly accepts the proffered bones. She runs her thumb gently over one of the skull's cheekbones, her demeanor sober and pensive.

'Charmed? Cannibalism? Surely not,' Tysh thinks to herself. 'This visit has been unusual, yes, but she showed us no hostility. After everything that happened since yesterday, perhaps Sir Kain and Scarby are a little jumpy. The mind sometimes creates a dire situation where one doesn't exist. We've all been there at some point, especially here.'

She wipes a smudge of dirt from the skull's crown. As many times as she's conducted funeral rites since being here, she has never managed to become numb to the weight of death.

"Yes, I will give them a dignified burial." She looks up to Kain and gently says, "We should not jump to conclusions. Oma is elderly and unable to stand upright. She's been very kind and generous to us. While this person's burial among the trash was wrong, perhaps that was all she was able to do. We do not know how long these bones were there, nor the conditions of their death."

Her eyes return to the skull. "Come, my friend, let's lay you to rest."

Tysh walks to the forest's edge and selects a suitable grave site. She lays the bones reverently on the ground, then removes her shield. Using it as a makeshift shovel, she begins digging a shallow grave into the saturated ground. It's rather difficult and progress is slow, considering the weight of the muddy earth and its propensity to slide back down, but she does not cease her efforts.

OOC

Movement: 

Action: Walk to the forest's edge and begin digging a shallow grave with her shield. This will take some time for her to accomplish.

Bonus Action: 

Reaction: 

Edited by jrsey (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

As Tysh begins her impromptu ritual burial, Harin feels something shift within him. Like the icy rain that continues to pelt from above, an icy realization slid down his spine. He had felt the warm and welcoming of magic within Oma's song, and it was such a relief to the miserable state of affairs since awakening this morning, however long ago that was. But the driving rain and ceaselessly trickling sands of time had finally worn away that welcome, and he knew now that his initial feeling of camaraderie that he had had for her was magically induced, sung into his heart on enchanted words. The facts of the interactions afterwards were what they were, but he had certainty that magic had smoothed that initial meeting with her and let him get closer with less caution than he might have otherwise.

Thunder roared overhead as the storm continued to intensify. Lightning flashed in the distance, but everyone could tell the storm was approaching with significant speed.

Edited by Anthr4xus (see edit history)

NoHaakon Valdemar IV

Human Abjuration Wizard

AC: 11 (Unarmored) | HP: 8/8 | Speed: 20 ft. (Encumbered)
Senses: passive Perception 12, Insight 14, Investigation 14
Str: 14 (+2) | Dex: 12 (+1) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 9 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Celestial, Gnomish, and Halfling

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’ | My actions . . .

Giving Oma the benefit of the doubt, Haakon follows Tysh's lead ponders how the corpse might be a loved one. Oma didn't sound elven but Haakon didn't have enough information to follow that lead.

He also tries to help Tysh with the burial in any way he can, but he is not familiar with this world's nor Tysh's funeral rites. Like a newborn duckling, he follows what feels natural, and mimics Tysh whenever he sticks out.

He finds himself fazed by the cultural differences. Where he is from, there is usually a writ and executor on how a person and their possessions are apportion to the bereaved. Pickled eyes, fingers, and tongues are common but bones can last decades, centuries even, if preserved properly. Hands and feet have plenty of little bones to bestow as tokens to good friends and wayward kith and kin. Teeth too, if circumstances allow. He is reminded to take better care of his ancestor's skull and his own teeth. No matter how disconcerting this place may be, he still need to take the time to take care of himself. With his efforts of upkeep befouled again and again, he can't help but grimace as the weather seems to be turning for the worse.

OOC

Action:

Spellbook

Ardir Hálilúëa

Ardir rubs his forehead as Kain and Tysh speak, finding himself frustrated. He shakes the cold water from his hair with a grimace. "Oi! Let's hold off our ceremonies and tribunals for when we're safe- the storm is getting too rough. Through pouring rain and lightning, it's already too easy to miss the approach of the undead.

We have mere minutes. Let's press on, hard, looking for a good hollow to shelter in... or go back to Oma's, where we know there's a warm fire. And if we are going back, I'll not hear ill of the host we ask for refuge."

HarinHarin Avosi

Half-elf Sage, College of Lore Bard

AC: 14 (Leather) | HP: 10/10 (1d8+2) | Speed: 30 ft. (unencumbered)
Senses: passive Perception 14, Insight 14, Investigation 11
Str: 7 (-2) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 18 (+4)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, Dwarvish, Gnomish, and Halfling

A wave of realization washes over Harin, and with it dread. A crack of thunder overhead hammered every realization home. She charmed me with magic. I was to be her breakfast. Instead I ate.... I ate... His stomach turned and he had to fight hard to keep himself from retching. A rage boiled up inside him, but he calmed himself with a few deep breaths. She was dangerous.

After composing himself, Harin gestured to Kain and Scarby to come nearer so that they could converse more discreetly.

"I have come to my senses, perhaps thanks to you. I know now that Oma bewitched me and was going to devour me had you all not come. I thought I had been so cowardly to call for you! But as a result of my cowardice, I was delivered from this," he indicated the pile of bones, "fate. The question is what to do next. I don't know how we could convince the others of Oma's treachery, it's likely that I recovered first because I was first afflicted. We could create a reason to wait here for the others to recover their senses, then work together to remove this plight named Oma from the land. I imagine it would take another fifteen minutes or so. We could leave her and press on, the weather is certainly suggesting we do just that, but this option does not," he moves with actual physical discomfort, "sit quite right with me. And although I would never suggest it under other circumstances, her hovel could provide a place for us to shelter from the storm. Then," he takes another breath, "there is the most immediate course. The three of us attack her now, at once. If we do it quickly, I may be able to act as though I was still under her spell and attack her unawares, perhaps even ending the fight with a single stroke if we are lucky. The problem is what to do about the rest of the party and the likelihood that she is already suspicious of at least you, Scarby. But if we move swiftly enough, let's say, we wait for all our companions to leave the house, then I walk in to give Oma one last parting embrace to properly convey my... gratitude, and you two follow and stay by the door to prevent our companions from interfering."

OOC

Action: —

Edited by zaffo (see edit history)

Tysh thanks Haakon with a small smile as he joins her. As they begin to dig together, she hears Ardir speak. She looks over to him, still crouched over the grave.

"Unless you're aware of a suitable hollow to shelter in the immediate area, staying may be the best plan. We know the area here, we have an ally, and we can take some shelter from the storm." She looks up to the sky. "It's approaching quickly. We won't get very far before we find ourselves in the thick of it."

She pauses, looking down at the bones and then up at Ardir. Calmly, but firmly, she says, "I will not be long. This person deserves to be laid to rest. I will have it done before the storm is upon us. Perhaps you can work with our friends to assemble an additional tent or some kind of makeshift shelter before the storm hits. Oma's place is small; we won't all fit."

She returns to her work. They're able to dig a shallow grave about two feet deep. Noting his interest, she talks through what she's doing as they work. Tysh places the bones in the grave just as a crack of lightning flashes overhead. Thunder explodes right behind it. As the rain begins to intensify, she looks down at the freshly-dug mound and folds her hands in prayer.

"Oh gracious Selune," she begins with earnest reverence, "we lay to rest a soul unknown to us but known to you. May your divine light guide this departed soul to eternal peace and grant them solace in your celestial embrace. We entrust them to your care, knowing that you will watch over them and bring them comfort. In your wisdom and compassion, we pray for their spirit to find its way to your celestial realm. May they find eternal rest and serenity under your gentle moonlit gaze. Amen."

OOC

Movement: 

Action: 

Bonus Action: 

Reaction: