Chapter 1: A Grey Beginning (Group 2)

Anthr4xus

TokenofKnight.png.de234c18cb6ebd84fc5012b5ecabde96.png

Kain Dorset

Noble Knight

AC: 19 (Chain & Shield) | HP: 13/13 (1d10+3) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Passive Perception 14, Insight 12, Investigation 12

Proficient Skills: Athletics (+6), Perception (+4), Survival (+4), History (+4), Persuasion (+3)
Str: 19 (+4) | Dex: 15 (+2) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 15 (+2) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 13 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, and Dwarvish

“My words,” Kain Dorset says. | ‘My thoughts,’ Sir Kain Dorset thinks. | My actions . . .

Moving in relative silence, Kain's small group makes up the more central portion of this moving column. Amelia keeps to the rear, her hand set on the hilt of her sword, ready to move if needed. Kain had attached his shield to his arm, his other holds the straps to his bag, slung over his shoulder. His eyes watch the trees and foliage around them for any sudden movement, either undead or perhaps, if he was lucky enough, a tasty animal out in this weather.

"I agree that a scout does sound like a good plan for the most part." Kain lowers the bag off of his shoulder, but does not place it on the ground.

OOC

Movement: —

Action:  —

Bonus Action: —

Reaction: —

image.jpeg.21bad33c8c65125f92548f2f50a82a1d.jpeg

Scarborough "Scarby" Foster

Human Sailor, Fighter

AC: 15 (Studded Leather)| HP: 12/12 (1d10+2) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Passive Perception 13, Insight 13, Investigation 8

Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common

Scarby takes in the aroma wafting on the air. Despite being the most inviting and familiar thing he has experienced since coming here, his long life has taught him that anything too good to be true often is...

Addressing the group in a hushed tone that's just loud enough to be heard over the rain, "oi, this all don't seem right. I thought it be just my old bones, but anyone else feeling this... weariness? Then this?" Waving a hand in the air, indicating the smell. "May all be an old sailor's superstition, but can this be some kind o' sorcery?"

Edited by Otog (see edit history)

image.png.3e736a48b8ce854d4a5f32a89944b99b.png Tysh Mountainheart

Hill Dwarf Acolyte Twilight Cleric

AC: 18 (Heavy Armor & Shield) | HP: 12/12 (1d8+3+1) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 13, Insight 15, Investigation 11
Str: 12 (+1) | Dex: 11 (+0) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 12 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, and Celestial

The corner of Tysh's mouth curves downward in a lopsided frown as she listens to the discussion. The tantalizing aromas take on a sinister edge; her stomach twists.

"Yes, you may be right. Perhaps Raven and Sir Kain's suggestion of a scout is prudent, although I don't like the idea of someone going alone." She pauses, trailing her gaze across each individual in the group. "Are any of you skilled scouts? Through the Moonmaiden's grace, I can grant one person additional protection from evil, should we choose that route. Still, it bears repeating that I don't feel very comfortable with being separated. We could always move on, if we don't want to investigate."

OOC

Movement: 

Action: If someone or a small group chooses to scout, Tysh will cast Protection from Evil and Good on one person.

Bonus Action: 

Reaction: 

Edited by jrsey (see edit history)

Ardir Hálilúëa

Humble Farrier, Shadar-Kai Barbarian

AC: 15 (AC Bonus) | HP: 15/15 (1d12+3) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 13, Insight 13, Investigation 10

Ardir sets his mouth in a grim line.

"Not close enough to Silbervas to smell this, maybe close enough that someone on the wall could see this smoke. I'm with Tysh, we could have a lightfoot ahead of the group, but not further than eyesight. As for the weariness... well, Falkovnia is part of the Shadowfell. This plane is a wretched place, wrought of Shar's will, and all within are doomed to suffer. She hates existence itself, and we walk within her hatred of all that is. If you feel bad, that's how the world wants you."

HarinHarin Avosi

Half-elf Sage, College of Lore Bard

AC: 14 (Leather) | HP: 10/10 (1d8+2) | Speed: 30 ft. (unencumbered)
Senses: passive Perception 14, Insight 14, Investigation 11
Str: 7 (-2) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 18 (+4)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, Dwarvish, Gnomish, and Halfling

"I'll go then," Harin says suddenly. "I can be quick on my feet when I don't–" he hefts the chest from his shoulder, setting it down a little too roughly, "have–ugh–this."

He turns to Tysh, "Save your goddess's favor, good cleric. It must be nearby. I'll just have a peak and be back before you know it. If you hear a shout, come quickly. If you hear this," he pulls out his ocarina and play the sound of a pretty but unmistakably unique bird song, "come quietly. Otherwise, I will come back and report what I see."

Harin heads of in the direction of the smell quietly and warily.

OOC

Movement: Move toward the source of the smell, approaching cautiously.

Action: Drop his chest, unencumbering himself.

Edited by zaffo (see edit history)
Name
Stealth check
1d20+3 5
Perception check
1d20+4 13

Harin sets down his chest and, ocarina in hand, slinks off the road in search of the source of the smell. He wanders for a few minutes, but his nose is strong and he is able to reliably keep a rough direction as he moves. Unfortunately his focus seemed more on holding the scent trail than keeping an eye on his feet and he frequently trips or stumbles as he moves. After a little less than ten minutes of wander, he finally spotted something of note among the trees.

Because of how well it blended in with it's surroundings, Harin was nearly on top of what he first discounted as just another low hill or ridge when he noticed the trail of smoke slowly drifting up against the rain from a rough stack of stones that he at first thought was just some sort of natural cairn. The building, if such it was, that the chimney sat upon could have passed as a beaver den, long abandoned when the lake dried up. Mossy logs and stones were jumbled roughly together in a heap that was roughly as tall as Harin was, with something dark and not immediately recognizeable crammed into places were there might have once been a gap. A large sheet of bark lay across what must be an entrance. From within the mound, Harin heard a raspy and off-key, yet still obviously feminine voice sang a song that Harin surprisingly had never heard before.

In ancient valleys, where time did weep,

In old mountain towns, secrets did keep,

A kingdom once proud, now lost to the night,

I sing you a lament, a mournful sight.

The castle walls, once towering high,

Now crumble beneath a desolate sky,

The echoes of laughter, the whispers of lore,

Gone with the wind, forevermore.

In cobblestone streets, where shadows now play,

The laughter of children has faded away,

The marketplace bustled, with merchants so keen,

Now silence prevails, in the ruins, it's seen.

The rivers that danced with a sparkling glee,

Now weep for the kingdom, lost to the sea,

The bridges they built, with hands so sure,

Now lead to the past, no longer endure.

The mountains that watched, with ancient eyes,

Bear witness to sorrow, under somber skies,

The forests once lush, where legends did bloom,

Now sigh with the weight of shambling doom.

But in these old towns, where history lies,

The spirits of warriors, they never demise,

Their tales are told in the whispers of leaves,

In the rustle of branches, as evening conceives.

Though the kingdom has fallen, its memory stays,

In the heart of the mountains, through endless days,

And as long as the wind through the valleys shall moan,

The old mountain towns will never be alone.

For the spirits of the past, they linger and roam,

In the shadows of ruins, they find their way home,

In the echoes of loss, a kingdom's decree,

Whispered by the dead, while the living flee.

Edited by Anthr4xus (see edit history)
Name
Harin History check
1d20+3 3

HarinHarin Avosi

Str: 7 (-2) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 18 (+4)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, Dwarvish, Gnomish, and Halfling

Harin sits still and quiet to better hear the song. He takes a moment to decide the best course of action, alternately looking at the shack and back the direction of his companions. He puts the ocarina away and draws his flute. He stares at the intricate elven carvings on it for a moment, steeling his nerves for the gamble he is about to take. He takes a breath and then, softly at first, he plays the same tune she was just singing, gradually increasing the volume until it must surely be noticeable by the woman--or more likely, witch--living out here alone in the woods. At around the same time the music must surely reach the interior of the hut, he points a finger there and lets a thought flow from his mind, through the flute, riding the music into the mind of the person there. "I mean you no harm. If you wish me to leave, I will. If you would be so kind as to meet outside and talk, I would be grateful. If you attack, I will defend myself. You can reply, I will hear you." When the spell and the song finish, Harin quickly puts his flute away, and draws his ocarina again. He turns to where the group should be and plays the birdsong telling them to come quietly, hoping he is not too far for them to hear.

OOC

Action: Cast Message to the entity in the hut. Play the agreed birdsong for the party to come quietly to join him.

Squatting in the rain amidst the sodden and decaying leaves and undergrowth, Harin waits to see if there is a response. As he plays his ocarina to alert the group, a raspy voice whispers back to him on the remaining strains of his magic, "The weather is terrible out there, welcome stranger. It is much more pleasant inside. Come in, come in. We can play together."

On the road, the group was becoming increasingly antsy as time slowly drips by with the rain. Standing in the downpour with little cover and nothing to do but wait gives everyone time to notice the cold trickles here and there were a drop or two was able to find skin through clothing, the aches and pains from walking along the road, every little thing that is an annoyance. After roughly 10 minutes, as everyone is urgently listening for Harin's cue, the fateful notes can be picked up faintly against the drumming of the rain. As a group, everyone starts looking for his trail. The combined efforts of Raven, Kain, Tysh, Kain's retainers and most particularly Haakon keep the group close to the trail and moving as quickly as possible through the forest.

OOC

Group Survival check to follow Harin's trail. More than half succeeded, so you are able to cut a more or less straight path towards him. It will take you roughly 5 minutes to catch up with him. Feel free to flesh out finding this trail and moving forward. If anyone is trying to Stealth on the approach, I will assume you are spaced out away from the group, and just make sure to include that roll on your post.

@zaffo You've got some time to stall. Harin would doubtless know that even if they come crashing straight to you, it will take the rest of the group at least a few minutes to get here.

Name
Scarby Survival roll to follow Harin
1d20+1 6
Haakon Survival roll to follow Harin
1d20+2 20
Kain Survival roll to follow Harin
1d20+4 6
Raven Survival roll to follow Harin
1d20+3 10
Tysh Survival roll to follow Harin
1d20+3 14
Kain advantage with help from Elora
1d20+4 3
Amelia Silver (Kain retainer) survival roll to follow Harin
1d20+3 13
Mia Rosebrow (Kain retainer) survival roll to follow Harin
1d20+0 10

image.png.3e736a48b8ce854d4a5f32a89944b99b.png Tysh Mountainheart

Hill Dwarf Acolyte Twilight Cleric

AC: 18 (Heavy Armor & Shield) | HP: 12/12 (1d8+3+1) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 13, Insight 15, Investigation 11
Str: 12 (+1) | Dex: 11 (+0) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 12 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, and Celestial

Encumbrance: 162.72 lbs (60lbs/120lbs/180lbs)

At the sound of Harin's birdsong, Tysh turns to the group.

"Harin's birdsong, the one to tell us to approach quietly. My armor will make some noise, so I will stay towards the back of our group."

She pauses, looking down at Harin's discarded items. "I don't want to leave Harin's things here. Can someone help me carry this? It's a bit heavy for me to handle alone."

OOC

Movement: Harin's chest weighs 41 lbs. If Tysh shares the load with someone, she will add 20.5 pounds to her encumbrance stats. (Already reflected in my encumbrance stats above.)

Action: 

Bonus Action: 

Reaction: 

Edited by jrsey (see edit history)

NoHaakon Valdemar IV

Human Abjuration Wizard

AC: 11 (Unarmored) | HP: 8/8 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 12, Insight 14, Investigation 14
Str: 14 (+2) | Dex: 12 (+1) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 9 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Celestial, Gnomish, and Halfling

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’ | My actions . . .

‘Please be good news. Please be good news.’

‘He's not heading back... Not a shout... Relax.’ Haakon drops his amorphous umbrella to the opposite side of the road, for all the good it did, he is still cold and slick.

“Let us go wide. Cast a wider shadow. Keep track of each other. There is much that could block visible horizon. And if you want to worry, I'm open to hearing what you think our poetic friend found.”

Haakon stoops low as he skulks, giving Harin's tracks a wide berth. He is lucky to find enough them undisturbed. Unfortunately, he runs into shrubbery and puddles while the tracks occupy his attention.

OOC

Action: Dropping Shape Water. Trying Stealth

Spellbook

Edited by Passione (see edit history)
Name
Stealth
1d20+1 4

image.jpeg.21bad33c8c65125f92548f2f50a82a1d.jpeg

Scarborough "Scarby" Foster

Human Sailor, Fighter

AC: 15 (Studded Leather)| HP: 12/12 (1d10+2) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Passive Perception 13, Insight 13, Investigation 8

Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common

Scarby shakes his head, scattering droplets from his brow. Cursing under his breath, "I knew it, foul sorcery!"

He never thought of himself as a religious man, but he unconsciously began to make the sign of the cross before stopping and cursing again. "Bah! You're definitely not here, not in this place..."

But doing so gives him an idea, and he turns to Tysh.

"Tysh, yeah? Harin may not be in trouble, but I don't think he's safe either and we can come back for that." As he points at the trunk. "You said you can offer some kind o' protection? Can use your... spells or whatever on me, or even just ask your deity for me for some guidance? I'll move as quickly and quietly as I can to catch up to him."

Edited by Otog (see edit history)

TokenofKnight.png.de234c18cb6ebd84fc5012b5ecabde96.png

Kain Dorset

Noble Knight

AC: 19 (Chain & Shield) | HP: 13/13 (1d10+3) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Passive Perception 14, Insight 12, Investigation 12

Proficient Skills: Athletics (+6), Perception (+4), Survival (+4), History (+4), Persuasion (+3)
Str: 19 (+4) | Dex: 15 (+2) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 15 (+2) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 13 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, and Dwarvish

“My words,” Kain Dorset says. | ‘My thoughts,’ Sir Kain Dorset thinks. | My actions . . .

"I am not very stealthy, nor are my companions, so we should stay near the back." Kain moves closer to Tysh and Scarby. "I can also carry the chest too if you truly do not wish to leave it behind." Kain moves his shield to his back, his own pack to his left arm, and grabs the chest by its strap with his right arm and easily lifts it up over his shoulder.

OOC

Action:  —

OOC: Main gear 131.5lbs + Chest 41lbs = 172.5

Str 19: 19*5= 95lbs // 19*10=190lbs.

Encumbered but not heavily encumbered... yet. Even without the chest he was already slightly encumbered...

Edited by FelixFaust (see edit history)

•  

Pin on Pictures Raven

Human Shadow Sorcerer, Haunted Spirit Medium

AC: 12/15 (Mage Armor) | HP: 8/8 (1d6+2) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 13, Insight 11, Investigation 10
Str: 10 (-0) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 17 (+3)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, Abyssal, Undercommon

|

"I'm not a fighter, so I think I'm staying towards the back. At least for now."

As Raven cast Mage Armor on herself, she didn't like this either. It didn't feel right. A person or persons cooking food in a place like this? If it was a camp, then where are the guards?

OOC

Action:  — Cast Mage Armor on herself

OOC: 

Edited by voodoozombie (see edit history)

HarinHarin Avosi

When Harin hears the word "play" he knows he's made a mistake. Surely that is a word a witch would use! He cursed himself for letting his fear get the better of him and calling for his companions, now there was no way to safely stop them coming! He could perhaps turn and run back, but there was no guarantee they would find each other in the thicket, and making a clamor to get their attention would likely bring unwanted attention from somewhere else. He reasoned that the best thing would be to rendezvous with his companions, and the best way to do that is to stay put, even if it meant bringing them to the witch's doorstep, at least they would have numbers.

He remembered the words of her song and the reason he reached out to her in the first place. She might yet be some force for good in this land, or might at least have knowledge that could help them survive. He turned back toward the witch's hut once more. 'How should I reply? I can't go in there without knowing what calls me.' He again pointed a finger at the pile of rubble the witch called home and played the melody she sang on his flute, not that he needed to for his spell, but he thought it might appease her... appetite? His message flowed through his music.

"Forgive me, I am indeed a stranger here, and as such I am overly cautious. Rightfully so, I think, given the abundance of evil that stalks these lands. Would you be so kind as to tell me your name and show me your face before I enter? That I might be better persuaded to abandon my caution. I am called Harin and I reiterate that I mean you no harm. I would even perform a song or poem to your liking, from lands far removed from these, for any hospitality you can afford to part with."

OOC

Action: Again cast Message to the entity in the hut.

Edited by zaffo (see edit history)
Name
Persuasion check
1d20+6 15

The voice whispering back sounded almost like it was purring with interest, "Yes, friend Harin, this is a land of evil and waste. You are right to be cautious and careful. You can call me Oma Knochenbeißer (Oh-ma Knock-in-be-sser), or just Oma if you prefer, that's what most do. Come round the door, come round. I would love to hear you play another song. I can do one for you as well, as I said, we will play together and make wonderful music."

Harin sees the bark door shimmy suddenly and fall forward, only to be pulled quickly inside the hovel. From where he stands he can't see into the hovel and would need to move around to do so. As the bark begins to move, Harin hears the voice again begin to sing. The song immediately catches Harin's ear with a force he had seldom experienced. As the song continued, Harin felt much of his caution and concern about this Oma fall away. How could a creature with a voice so interesting who is so interested in music and song be terrible, even in this horrible place? Her song carries such power that Harin almost hears an accompanying rhythm of strings and drums carried on the air.

She sang:

In the shadows you linger, a wary soul,
With doubts in your heart, and tales untold,
But listen close to the rhythm in the air,
A melody calling, banishing despair.

Come closer, stranger, to this tune,
While the rain dances and we commune,
Suspicion may linger, but trust the song,
Join our chorus, where you belong.

Through the verses of life, we all endure,
A symphony of stories, each one pure,
Your hesitations, like a distant drum,
But in this harmony, let your guard succumb.

Come closer, Harin, to this tune,

The vocal strings hum, a secret shared,
The lyrics unfold, a connection bared,
Your skepticism, like a fading night,
Dissolving slowly in the soft twilight.

The rhythm invites, like a friend unseen,
An invitation to a place serene,
The melody weaves through doubt and tears,
Come closer, Harin, let's quell your fears.

Come closer, Harin, to this tune,

So, weary traveler, take a chance,
In this musical embrace, find your dance,
Let suspicion melt, like morning dew,
Come closer, Harin, we welcome you.

OOC

Harin is currently charmed by the song and the singer.

To sum up what that means:

• A charmed creature can’t attack the charmer or target the charmer with harmful a⁠bilities or magical effects.
  • The charmer has advantage on any ability check to interact socially with the creature

This is basically a Charm Person spell that effects everyone within range, which is only Harin.

You attempt to charm a humanoid you can see within range. It must make a Wisdom saving throw, and does so with advantage if you or your companions are fighting it. If it fails the saving throw, it is charmed by you until the spell ends or until you or your companions do anything harmful to it. The charm⁠ed creature regards you as a friendly acquaintance. When the spell ends, the creature knows it was char⁠med by you.

Name
Harin Wisdom Save
1d20+2 5
Harin Wisdom Save (advantage due to Fey Ancestry)
1d20+2 11