Chapter 1: A Grey Beginning (Group 2)

Anthr4xus

NoHaakon Valdemar IV

Human Abjuration Wizard

AC: 11 (Unarmored) | HP: 8/8 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 12, Insight 14, Investigation 14
Str: 14 (+2) | Dex: 12 (+1) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 9 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Celestial, Gnomish, and Halfling

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’ | My actions . . .

Haakon takes a beat staring at his hands, wondering how the previous night went, before getting upright and properly checking himself in response to Tysh's concern. “I seem to be of sharp mind and healthy body.”

He furrows his brow, ambling towards the other patrons of the inn. “Something is amiss and I can't quite tell what. Would anyone happen to know what day is it? We should look for shelter and look fast. We seem to be missing how we got here.”

With a wave of hand, he wards his personal space from the worsening rain. He then fishes his journal from his pack and starts scribbling.

“People were here, but they have long since left, weeks, if not months ago. I've heard the blight waxes and wanes along with the moon. Hmm...” He points out the remains of an established occupation, buried by time, intent, or circumstance. He scratches his chin with his pen hand, snaps his pad shut, and packs them up.

“The open road is our best and worst option. I assume we head north?”

Haakon delays his introduction for as long as he could. He does not want to be the odd one out, social pressure mounting until he rattles off. “I come from a place where these folk you call abyssal and celestial entities are one and the same. And far more common than in these parts.” His expression shifts. “Names have power. Please do pardon the flowery language, I do not mean to be rude but I must insist to accompany you without sharing what I am called.”

OOC

Movement: —

Action:

Bonus Action: —

Reaction: —

Spellbook

image.png.3e736a48b8ce854d4a5f32a89944b99b.png Tysh Mountainheart

Hill Dwarf Acolyte Twilight Cleric

AC: 18 (Heavy Armor & Shield) | HP: 12/12 (1d8+3+1) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 13, Insight 15, Investigation 11
Str: 12 (+1) | Dex: 11 (+0) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 12 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, and Celestial

Tysh listens as her new companions give their introductions and assure her of their general wellness. As her eyes follow the road from the south to the north, she rests the heel of her palm on the butt of her warhammer. She glances to Ardir, noticing the series of emotions that flash over his countenance, then back to the north.

"Let's go north to Silbervas, then. I would agree with our friend here" she says with a gesture to Haakan, "that we should get moving to avoid possibly confronting the undead. I respect your desire to keep your name secret, but we should still have a name for you. What do you wish to be called? I am Tysh."

OOC

Given that Tysh worships Selûne, she is very familiar with the moon and its cycles. She has also been here for two years, so she's lived through the undead incursions and noticed the pattern of their appearance. Would she:

1. Be aware of the phase that the moon is in currently?
  2. Know what the undead threat may be at the moment, considering her knowledge of past patterns?

Edited by jrsey (see edit history)

•  

Pin on Pictures Raven

Human Shadow Sorcerer, Haunted Spirit Medium

AC: 12/15 (Mage Armor) | HP: 8/8 (1d6+2) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 13, Insight 11, Investigation 10
Str: 10 (-0) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 17 (+3)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, Abyssal, Undercommon

|

Raven watched everyone as the introductions begin along with where they came from. An eyebrow slowly goes up.  Such a diverse group.

When it was Raven's turn she spoke as she waved her arm in a sweeping arc in front of her as looked around her. 

"My name is Raven. And no, I too don't know how or why we are here.

She glances around at the again group and nods her head.

"I'm in agreement. We need to find a dry place to camp at so that we can make some plans before we head North."

Raven turns towards the bearded man. The other eyebrow goes up.

"Can you really climb one of those trees? That would be a great help in seeing what's out there on the road."

Raven really didn't care which way everyone went. She didn't know this land at all, except that the undead have overran everything and that the living are fighting for survival. So, at the moment, she is willing to go....somewhere. The one called Ardir seemed to know the area, so North was as good as any direction to head towards.

Edited by voodoozombie (see edit history)

image.jpeg.21bad33c8c65125f92548f2f50a82a1d.jpeg

Scarborough "Scarby" Foster

Human Sailor, Fighter

AC: 15 (Studded Leather)| HP: 12/12 (1d10+2) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Passive Perception 13, Insight 13, Investigation 8

Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common

Scarby nods at the barbarian, before realizing he had never seen his like before. He hopes the thought had not reached his face before responding,

"Aye. Good to know that one o' us has the lay of the land. Name's Scarborough Foster, but ye all can just call me 'Scarby' or 'that ol' cuss' or whatever ye prefer."

Upon hearing ascent at his suggestion of climbing up one of the trees, Scarby approaches the tree which looks to have the sturdiest branches.

OOC

Sorry, I'm new to this. I'm going to attempt to do this correctly.

Edited by Otog (see edit history)
Name
Athletics check to climb the tree
1d20+5 10

HarinHarin Avosi

Half-elf Sage, College of Lore Bard

AC: 14 (Leather) | HP: 10/10 (1d8+2) | Speed: 20 ft. (encumbered)
Senses: passive Perception 14, Insight 14, Investigation 11
Str: 7 (-2) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 18 (+4)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, Dwarvish, Gnomish, and Halfling

"Harin," he offers to Ardir and any of the others he makes eye contact with, adding a friendly smile and nod. He understands he can't afford to antagonize anyone, nor have anyone antagonize anyone else if they are to survive. Peacekeeper it is, he thinks to himself.

Having finally gathered all his things, Harin visibly struggles with the weight and size of his chest before finally finding a somewhat comfortable way of carrying it on his back, although the weight causes him to bend at the waist some. He is reminded of how easy it was to take a simple cart and donkey for granted.

After finally getting settled, Harin follows the others north without hesitation. He is in no position to argue, despite thinking it would be better to head to Lekar directly. Isn't it the only place "safe" from the undead?

OOC

Action: —

Edited by zaffo (see edit history)

Kain looks around the clearing, and quickly recognizes the commonalities of a military bivouac point. Here the dug and then resodded latrine trench, there the holes left by tent pegs, and over here crop marks and ground smoothing from at least a few horses. This area has not been used in quite some time, but has certainly been used multiple times. Any military commander would be able to know the signs to look for, and Kain's keen eye easily picked them out. Even the positioning of the campfires evenly divided the area of the clearing to provide light as efficiently and effectively as possible. He also noticed that while there are a few bushes on the edges of the tree line that should probably have edible berries this time of year, yet they had been plucked nearly bare. Now that he was looking more to the forest he noticed that the rain seemed to have driven all the wildlife into hiding.

Confident that no one was injured or in immediate danger, Tysh took a moment to reach out to her goddess. It was daytime, so she was expecting that her connection would be weak, yet she was still disappointed at how faint and tenuous it felt, as it had since she had first stumbled from the Mists. Even though the moon here was like a weak and warped reflection of Selune's majesty, it was not hard for Tysh to feel it phasing. She was fairly certain that they were within a day or two of the full moon. This meant that the threat of the dreaded implacable great hordes of undead was roughly two weeks away. Anyone who had spent anytime in Falkovnia knows that there is always a risk of running into small groups or packs of the undead. Some believe that these numbers wax and wane in relation to the moon, but from the conversations that Tysh has heard and participated in, that is hotly contested.

As Kain and his ladies survey the clearing and introductions are made, Scarby quickly climbs one of the flame-colored trees relatively near the road. From the highest point he could reach and still trust the branches to hold his weight he looked around. Unfortunately the canopy blocked much of the view along the road as Scarby could quickly tell that little of the road was truly straight, rather snaking back and forth through the trees. Higher up, it was a little easier to pick out the popping, chopping sound that some of the others had mentioned. The overcast sky and increasingly forceful rain also limited the view, but regardless he could pick out a thin and jagged whisp of black smoke emerging from the Forest of Torches to the northwest. From what the pale elf Ardir had said, that was vaguely in the direction they would need to go to reach Silbervas, but it looked like the road generally moved more north by northeasterly, which would move it away from whatever the source of the thin smoke might be.

NoHaakon Valdemar IV

Human Abjuration Wizard

AC: 11 (Unarmored) | HP: 8/8 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 12, Insight 14, Investigation 14
Str: 14 (+2) | Dex: 12 (+1) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 9 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Celestial, Gnomish, and Halfling

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’ | My actions . . .

Haakon clears the dried muck from his eyes. “Please do pardon the superstition. You are welcome to refer to me with varying descriptors, as long as they are not consistent. You can also point at me, give me a tap, or throw little things at me.”

He turns from Tysh to Ardir. “You seem to know these parts. I hope you don't mind leading the way. I feel rather exposed here.”

“Eight years is a long time. I hope your folks are okay. Maybe they left you something as they joined the others to the city between lakes.”

OOC

Action:

Spellbook

Human Sailor, Fighter

Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 8 (-1)

Scarby finished climbing down just as the bearded man in robes finished speaking. Addressing the motley group,

"Aye. The one who speaks strange words makes the most sense in this mad place, an' I agree with his suggestion."

Pointing northwest, "I couldn't see much from up there but there be smoke in that direction. Should be well enough away from where we're headin'."

After slinging the pack containing his meager possessions over his shoulders, Scarby noticed the struggling scholar. Initially taken aback by his pointed ears, but recognizing he was in clear need of aid, Scarby uncomfortably addresses him while pointing at the chest on the man's back, "Uh, Harin was it? Need a hand with that?"

Scarby wondered while he spoke how all these weird folk seemed to understand him and them him. He spoke the King's English badly, but he seemed to have getting by just fine for now.

Str: 12 (+1) | Dex: 11 (+0) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 12 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, and Celestial

Tysh's brows subtly and briefly draw together at the wizard's elusive response. She observes him with careful curiosity. Something about his evasiveness doesn't sit right with her. Was he being truthful? A few seconds later, Scarby's comments about the smoke catch her attention.

"That is good news," she says, nodding in understanding. "I believe we are about two weeks away from the monthly incursion of undead, but we may still meet smaller groups of them on the road. It would be best to travel in the light, find some shelter, and prepare ourselves for whatever may come."

Tysh walks towards the road, then turns around to scan her eyes over her companions. She sweeps her hand towards the road. "Let's begin our trek to Silbervas. Step lightly, now, we have some distance to cover. I'll take up the rear."

OOC

Action: Tysh would like to Insight check Haakon after hearing his answer about superstition. Is he hiding something?

HarinHarin Avosi

Half-elf Sage, College of Lore Bard

AC: 14 (Leather) | HP: 10/10 (1d8+2) | Speed: 20 ft. (encumbered)
Senses: passive Perception 14, Insight 14, Investigation 11
Str: 7 (-2) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 18 (+4)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, Dwarvish, Gnomish, and Halfling

"I can manage, thank you, although I will likely slow us down some. I appreciate the thought. An perhaps, if it gets to be too much, and you wouldn't be overburdened, we could take turns or each take a side." Harin takes a moment to take in the stranger, and as the party embarks, Harin does his best to keep pace with him.

"Scarby, it was, yes? I couldn't help but notice your peculiar manner of speaking. Please don't take offense, I am only interested. I am a student of the spoken word, you see, and I can say I've never heard a dialect quite like yours. I also couldn't help but notice you being somewhat taken aback by my ears. I assume it is safe to say that you have not had spent much time with half-elves? Although I must say, where I'm from, most people fail to notice my ears and I can often pass as human. You see my mother is human and my father is a half-elf. Can I assume then, that you are from a realm where half-elves do not exist? I suppose it is safe to conclude that you had not seen full elves before the mists took you, such as our friend Ardir and the young lady assisting the lord knight?" He gestures to Ardir and Elora. "Although, I can say myself I have not had much experience with elves like Ardir, What realm do you suppose he is from? At any rate, if you can't make such determinations for yourself, Raven is human, as near as I can tell, Tysh is most certainly a hill dwarf, and, curiously, a cleric of the moon goddess, if I am not mistaken. Fascinating language, Dwarvish." He turns to call out a traditional greeting to Tysh in Dwarvish, "May the Gods guide you to rich fields and richer ores!" then, turning back to Scarby, "in fact," he looks around, "everyone else is human, if I'm not much mistaken. But please, tell me about where you come from, if you don't mind. I am most curious. Or, if you wish to keep such things private, I would be most appreciative if you would recite for me a song or poem. You needn't worry if it is on the bawdier side. I actually prefer the poems of the people over the poems locked away in royal libraries."

OOC

Action: —

Human Sailor, Fighter

Scarby nods to Harin's response for help. As Harin points out his way of speaking and that he was staring, Scarby looks somewhat abashed and rubs the back of his neck.

"Aye, caught that eh? Apologies. Yes, I'm not from anywhere near here. Wherever here even is. I was born in Jamestown, though I spent most o' my life at sea. Along the coast with the other colonies and Caribbean, mostly. I'm not even sure if time works the same here," Scarby says ruefully. "It was 1728 when I left."

When he thinks of everything he has seen thus far since coming here, Scarby says with chagrin, "an' no. Lots o' different folk where I'm from, but we're all human. Strangest thing I think I seen was a Welshman I once knew, fresh off the boat, who went missin' for three whole days in Tortuga. When it was time for us to set-off again, he had three face tattoos and piercings you don't want to know where..."

He chuckles to himself with the memory. Gloom quickly set-in as he thought how far away all that is now. Somberly, he continues, "but I was in London when that fog took me. I was there to finally meet my daughter... God. I hope she didn't get drawn into this place."

Scarby suddenly becomes very quiet. He shakes his head to banish the thought. She's safe, you heard her scream from the other side, she's in her fancy manor sipping fancy tea with other fancy folk back in London. Finding again his determination, Scarby addresses the scholar once more, "thank you for mapping things out for me. Much appreciated, an' I meant no offense from before. Just let me know if you want help later with that."

Scarby doesn't wait for Harin to respond. He quickly strides away, hoping that no one saw his eyes start to well with tears, as he takes his place in the marching order near the front behind Ardir.

Ardir Hálilúëa

Humble Farrier, Shadar-Kai Barbarian

AC: 15 (AC Bonus) | HP: 15/15 (1d12+3) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 13, Insight 13, Investigation 10

Ardir's eyes stay distant for a time, fixed on a distant place, or perhaps a distant time.

"Sure, sharpmind, I'll lead us. We'll march through the woods, keeping the road within sight. Mayhap we'll find a dry clearing, or at least, a few patches of dry ground.

Thank you for the hope, tis scarce enough in Falkovnia that we count it precious."

Edited by Kail_Traeganni (see edit history)

As you all travel along the paved road, the faint popping sound to the south fading from those few who even heard it in the first place. The aged wooden paving is surprisingly soft and comfortable to walk on, the wood aged to soft rot in many places. The path gently snakes northward through the dramatic colors of the trees, gently swooping left and right so as to never give one a clear line of sight for more than half a mile at a time, more often a quarter mile or less. For those of a more engineer mindset, it causes one to wonder why whomever laid this road did so in such a meandering manner. There were seldom rises or gullies steep enough to explain the sudden shift one way or another, and surely this kind of sweeping roadway was both less efficient and more difficult to cut and pave?

The increasing rain serves to discourage loud conversation, and following Ardir's lead, the group moves along, occasionally groaning under the weight of their own supplies. Before the Mists, even in the Wightwatcher, the various packs and provisions that everyone bore did not seem as heavy, as sodden as today. It seemed as if there was something in the very air itself that added both physical and emotional weight to almost everything each traveller carried.

After roughly forty minutes or so of walking along the road, there seemed to be a shift of wind, turning to blow mostly southward and into your faces, giving a sharper sting to the heavier drops. With the change in the wind, however, there is also the smell of simmering meat and vegetables, cooking bread, and other more subtle reminders of warm and homey kitchens. Scarby, in quick consultation with Ardir on direction and orientations, thinks that this could indicate that you were drawing relatively close to the once-distant stream of smoke you had seen from the clearing.

Tysh takes a long, deep breath. The aroma of cooking food and baking bread causes her stomach to rumble. She smiles sheepishly.

"Ardir, are we near Silbervas?" she asks, raising her voice to be heard over the party's conversations. "I thought it was further away, but obviously we're getting closer to a settlement. It smells so good!"

OOC

Movement: 

Action: 

Bonus Action: 

Reaction: 

•  

Pin on Pictures Raven

Human Shadow Sorcerer, Haunted Spirit Medium

AC: 12/15 (Mage Armor) | HP: 8/8 (1d6+2) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 13, Insight 11, Investigation 10
Str: 10 (-0) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 17 (+3)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvish, Abyssal, Undercommon

|

Raven starts sniffing the air as she too catches the smell of cooking food.  It was very tempting to head towards the smell. However, she had to do something first.

Glancing behind her and towards the ground, she looks at the shadow that's there, despite the sunless sky. Its humanoid in shape and seems to be coming from Raven. She whispers something at it and then nods her head. A thoughtful look crosses her face as an eyebrow goes up.

Raven turns towards the group.

"That food does smell good. It's very tempting, but if we decide to go in that direction, maybe we should send a scout first to see who is doing the cooking first? I think caution should be used. From what I understand, danger is everywhere."

A drenched and cold Raven stands in front of everyone, smiling a huge smile. She seemed proud that she just accomplished something important.

Edited by voodoozombie (see edit history)