Planning: I.I - Karev & Sons

The thread for figuring out the angle, setting up the engagement roll, talking through position and effect, and all the other fun things.

Gather Information results will be up tomorrow, then we can hammer out how you want to go about things.

I'm leaning towards using our House ability to have a Social score. It would allows to mingle with the other prospective buyers, spread misinformation about the poor quality of the Estate we're meant to secure to keep it within the (I'm assuming) budget we have, threaten other interested parties through some flashbacked blackmail, encourage them to bid heavily on other items auctioned off before to make them less likely to bid heavily on our lot, etc.

I could also see Deception if we want to keep our House's involvement secret, passing ourselves off as someone else, then using the same methods as above.

Finally, Larisa is great at Stealth. If we can infiltrate the offices, we might be able to find out where the lot is kept and then steal it before it's handed off to its buyer.

I was planning to delay that and tackle it as aside project while the errand is happening, but Strengths are fixed to Intelligence & Magic.

House ability, relations with other factions, and reputation I would like to sort when Taurelin is back.

Bonjour from le Tour Eiffel!

As an alternate Stealth plan, have Larissa switch lot numbers and we bid on lot Xxx and ship it away, while Lot Yyy is a disappointment to the other bidders. Stealth seems to be the linchpin of this idea, with Social for the bidding and such. 

This could also be a backup plan via Flashback if we don’t win the auction. 

Edited by taurelin (see edit history)

You should've kept that flashback to yourself until the very end to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, but... still, I really like that idea!

I hope your trip is going well so far!

So if we want to go Social and use the House ability, who's the Connection? A porter or clerk or someone of that ilk at Karev & Sons?

Miko's already been made, so he could be in the front of the house while the others do stuff in the background. Find some cheaper lots to bid on then do something showy? Would illusions be covered under elemental/air magic? He doesn't have Fascinate yet, but could be a reasonable Set Up action to support the Stealth play for visual/auditory cover by "showing off" to the guests.

Edited by Intro (see edit history)

If I'm the only one sneaking off, while the others are mingling, I think it's still a Social plan. I'd just slip away while you are providing a distraction.

A clerk at Karev & Sons would be good.

I think illusions of some sort could be air-related, yeah. Also, Miko can absolutely still enter the place and partake. The magebreaker doesn't have him on a list of bad people. Just his list of "clearly knows magic" and his job is to make sure there is no magical interference. As long as Miko doesn't use magic to mess with the auction, he is a welcome guest and spender of silver.

And I think we could run this as a Social plan and swapping the lot numbers happens as flashbacks to a prior nightly incursion by Larisa?

On 6/30/2022 at 4:02 PM, moarhair said:

I'm leaning towards using our House ability to have a Social score.

Sorry, this is probably due to reading on a very small screen, but I can’t find any other mentions of our “House ability.” What is it? From a particular House? Link to the previous discussion?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, taurelin said:

Sorry, this is probably due to reading on a very small screen, but I can’t find any other mentions of our “House ability.” What is it? From a particular House? Link to the previous discussion?

Thanks!

It was in the spoiler in the first IC post.

On 6/30/2022 at 4:28 AM, Sorcery said:

You may instead use your house feature Our Reputation Precedes Us to automatically start a Social engagement in a risky situation. Your connection will be a contact who fears you. This contact cannot be one of the decision makers of Karev & Sons, but someone involved with the auction process is permissible.