General

pesukarhu

19 hours ago, Niblooey said:

Guess an update on how things are going for me, I've been a bit sick for a while now, left me feeling slow. Just uh, low-energy enough for me to be napping all the time, though the last few days were messier than the usual. Are you guys doing alright?

Doing pretty well, just busy. Still adjusting to new job (2 months in), trying to figure out when I'll have time and energy to get posts together.

But, generally healthy, so mostly good?

Sorry to hear you're under the weather, hope you feel better soon. If you need to take a break, just say so.

Ugh, sorry, I really wanted to get something out today, but I've been a bit swamped. Hopefully everyone's OK with being chill, but I do want to get some momentum going again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all! I'm trying to hit the mechanics a bit harder here, but I'm still fudging a little. I will fudge less as we go on!

Mechanically, here's what happened:

• The turkey did a "create an advantage" action to create a "mental repulsion field" aspect on the room.
  • I gave it a target number of average (+1), so her roll of +4 got was a "success with style", which gave her two free invocations.
  • Inkwell blustered her way in with a forceful roll of +6. I'm saying that shook off the mental repulsion for her entirely; it can no longer be invoked against her. Mechanically, that's an overcome action against the repulsion. Here's where I hand-wave a bit; I used the +4 as a target.
  • Purple Dove shepherded Diana in. Her +1 roll tied the average difficulty I was using, which is a weak success. I'm saying that used up one of the free invocations the turkey got, but that the "mental repulsion field" is still there.

So, the current situation is:

• There's still a scene aspect of "Mental Repulsion Field"
    • Inkwell is immune to it.
    • The turkey has one free invocation to get a bonus, if it's relevant. She could later spend her own fate points to use it further.
    • As far as the fiction goes, Purple Dove and Coalfire feel a resistance or reluctance to approach the turkey. They're heroes, though, so they can push through, but it's something that can be used against them.
    • If anyone wanted to cut and run, they could get a Fate point as a compel.
    • I have an excuse, if I want to, to offer a compel to do nothing for a turn.

Going forward, I'm going to try harder to make this sort of thing an opposed roll, because it feels more natural to me that way.

Sound good?

@Tecmes I'd say trying to disrupt the device would be an Overcome action. Overcome's the catch-all; Defend's really just used for avoiding Attacks. That doesn't change the roll, so it's fine. Also, just to be clear, you can choose to invoke your distracted aspect after you see what the roll is.

Defend

Use defend when you’re actively trying to stop someone from doing any of the other three actions—you’re parrying a sword strike, trying to stay on your feet, blocking a doorway, and the like. Usually this action is performed on someone else’s turn, reacting to their attempt to attack, overcome, or create an advantage. You may also roll to oppose some non-attack actions, or to defend against an attack on someone else, if you can explain why you can. Usually it’s fine if most people at the table agree that it’s reasonable, but you can also point to an relevant situation aspect to justify it. When you do, you become the target for any bad results.

• If you fail: You’re on the receiving end of whatever your opponent’s success gives them.
  • If you tie or succeed: Things don’t work out too badly for you; look at the description of your opponent’s action to see what happens.
  • If you succeed with style: Your opponent doesn’t get what they want, plus you gain a boost.

You'd use whatever approach seems reasonable for your defense, like Quickly dodging a laser or Carefully dipping back into cover.

23 hours ago, Niblooey said:

You'd use whatever approach seems reasonable for your defense, like Quickly dodging a laser or Carefully dipping back into cover.

@drealynn Yep, you can spin most of your approaches as a defense, but the one you choose will affect your narrative positioning. i.e. a Forceful block leaves you in the middle of things, a Quick dodge may get you out of the way, etc.