Questions Thread

Kylia Quilor

Ask any and all questions about the game, character creation or the Forgotten Realms setting (While I expect some familiarity, I'm not expecting intimate memorization) here.

Here are a few questions I'm anticipating being asked, answered ahead of time.

• 3rd Party Content or Homebrew? As alluded to in other posts, 3rd party content and homebrew content for PF and 3.5 will be allowed on a case by case basis, as long as I can legally access it or have the book/source (for instance, I have most old issues of Dungeon and Dragon magazine). I intend to be fairly generous, and even encourage digging obscure 3rd party content out of some dark corner of the d20pfsrd. That said, some things may need to be tweaked. As one note, Path of War and Spheres are not allowed. Neither is Akashic.
  • Why Not PoW or Spheres? I know both are wildly popular here on the 'weave. However, both are fundamentally new rulesets tacked onto the existing game, and they present such a new tactical paradigm that creating a fair challenge for PoW/Spheres characters without the GM also using PoW/Spheres has proven to be - in my experience - exceedingly hard. As I cannot really learn a whole system just from an SRD (I've tried), I'd need to read the relevant books. I don't have the money to spare rn to buy even the pdfs of the relevant books. The same currently holds true for Akashic.
  • Is DSP Psionics Allowed? Yes.
  • EITR Eliminated a Prereq for...? If the Feat Tax Rules eliminated a feat that served as prerequisite for another feat or for a prestige class, it is not required anymore. With the exceptions of Improved Dirty Trick, Improved Disarm, Improved Feint, Improved Steal and Improved Trip (all covered by Deft Maneuvers, so any preqreq that lists them now requires Deft Maneuvers) and Improved Bull Rush, Improved Drag, Improved Overrun and Improved Sunder (All covered by Powerful Maneuvers, so any prereq that lists them now requires Powerful Maneuvers) and Improved Grapple and Improved Unarmed Strike (All covered by Unarmed Combatant, so any prereq that lists them now requires Unarmed Combatant)
  • Pregame Crafting? No. There will be downtime to craft between and sometimes during adventures, however, if you so desire. If your Archetype or class has a core gimmick that relies on crafting somehow, we can discuss it.
  • Favored Enemies? Quite a diverse range, but in terms of types and subtypes, orcs, goblinoids, dark elves (the evil ones), humans (ones hostile to Cormanthyr), evil outsiders, undead and constructs are likely to be the most common ones. In terms of organizations, Zhentarim, Silver Ravens, Lolthites, Vhaerunites and servants of the city of Shade will be the most likely to be relevant.
  • What do you think of...? If you'd like to run a basic concept by me or something like that, please do.
  • How to Apply? Make your application as a separate thread in this thread group, and please have your character as the first post. Include name, age, appearance (or picture), race, class, a link to their sheet, at least a basic discussion of their personality and a backstory in the application. You can use whatever application format you want, as long as it is readable and has all that information. Whenever your application is complete, make a post in said thread letting me know it is.
  • Technology Guide? Yeah, nothing from the Technology Guide is allowed.
  • Guns? No guns, no guns of any kind.
  • Questions about Regions: Your 'Region' is meant to be more emblematic of your cultural context and upbringing. While they are sorted by race for your convenience, a human could take an 'elf' region if raised in the right context, or vice-versa. If you're unsure which regions might apply to your character, ask. As an additional note, the 'Cormanthor' region, for maddening reasons, is meant to be for dark elves who were raised on or lived extensively on the surface. Surface elves raised in Cormanthor Forest or in that cultural milieu can be better represented by the Elven Court Region. For Dark Elves (of whatever alignment or religious confession now) who were raised in the underdark, use the 'Menzoberranyr' region.
  • Aasimar and Tieflings: You absolutely can take the alternate heritages and alternate traits as you see fit (just make clear what you're doing.) What you cannot do is use the d100 chart labeled 'Variant Abilities' as that is not a thing we're doing in this game.
  • Alternate Race Traits: The ones that let you swap out X for Y, etc. You can do those. Just let me know somewhere in your app.
  • Existing Party: We have an Arcanist, a Vigilante and an Investigator. What the party needs from a balance perspective is a divine caster/healer/type, but party balance is not the only thing I care about. I won't deny that a divine caster/healer will have a slight edge in getting picked for at least one of the two slots, but it is by no means a guarantee.
  • Number of People I'm looking for: One or Two people
Edited by Kylia Quilor (see edit history)

Great faq, spheres of might would be my first request (only way to have a fighter not be just a beat stick).

However, I might cook something with a paladin. Is variant multiclassing allowed?

Any suggestions on how to adapt the deific obedience feats?

Do you know about the HellbredHELLBRED RACIAL TRAITS
Humanoid (Hellbred): Hellbred are humanoid creatures, despite their monstrous appearance.

Infernal Mien (Ex): Hellbred have a sinister presence. They gain a +2 racial bonus on Intimidate checks.

Evil Exception (Ex): Regardless of alignment or class restrictions, a hellbred can cast spells with the evil descriptor and never gains negative levels while wielding evil magic items, such as unholy weapons or demon armor. This ability does not shield a hellbred from losing access to class features if he violates a class's code of conduct. For example, using a +1 unholy longsword to slay orcs would not violate a hellbred paladin's code of conduct, though using the weapon to kill another paladin would.

Hellbound (Su): A devil has a claim on a hellbred's soul. As a result, a hellbred can be restored to life only by a resurrection spell or greater magic.

Devil's Favor: A hellbred gains Devil's Favor as a bonus feat for which it does not need to meet the prerequisite.

Infernal Aspect: Upon completing the Scourging, a hellbred chooses one of the following aspects to manifest. Once the choice is made, it cannot be changed.

Body (Ex): A hellbred who chooses body as his infernal aspect gains a +4 bonus on saves against poison. In addition, he gains a +2 bonus to Constitution and takes a -2 penalty to Intelligence. The process of the Scourging strengthens his body but weakens his mind.

At 4 HD, he gains a bonus devil-touched feat.

At 14 HD, he gains another bonus devil-touched feat.

Spirit (Su): A hellbred who selects the spirit aspect acquires infernal senses, gaining darkvision out to 30 feet and a +2 racial bonus on Sense Motive checks. In addition, the process of the Scourging leaves him with a strong mind but a weak body. The hellbred gains a +2 bonus to Charisma and takes a -2 penalty to Constitution.

At 6 HD, his darkvision extends to 60 feet.

At 9 HD, his darkvision extends to 120 feet.

At 12 HD, he gains the ability to see in darkness, even that created by a deeper darkness spell.

At 15 HD, he gains telepathy out to 100 feet.

Automatic Languages: Infernal. Hellbred gain the ability to speak Infernal upon their transformation, but they do not lose the ability to speak languages they previously knew before the Scourging.

Favored Class: Paladin. A multiclass hellbred's paladin class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing. Furthermore, hellbred paladins can leave that class and return to it without penalty.
from 3.5? If you are okay with it, I will work on an adaptation.

12 hours ago, droobles said:

Great faq, spheres of might would be my first request (only way to have a fighter not be just a beat stick).

Except that I already said spheres aren't allowed. I don't intrinsically object to spheres, but not for this campaign. I've learned that the best way to provide a challenge for sphere-using players is to... use spheres back at them. And I don't yet know spheres well enough to do that.

Is variant multiclassing allowed?

Yes

Any suggestions on how to adapt the deific obedience feats?

Depends on the feat, which one did you have in mind?

Do you know about the Hellbred from 3.5? If you are okay with it, I will work on an adaptation.

I am okay with it. Hmu with your adaptation and we'll go from there.

23 minutes ago, Kylia Quilor said:

Except that I already said spheres aren't allowed. I don't intrinsically object to spheres, but not for this campaign. I've learned that the best way to provide a challenge for sphere-using players is to... use spheres back at them. And I don't yet know spheres well enough to do that.

Yes

Depends on the feat, which one did you have in mind?

I am okay with it. Hmu with your adaptation and we'll go from there.

Oh, I wasn't asking for spheres, just noting that you had a very complete faq that covered most common requests.

About deific obedience (or monitor obedience), I haven't decided yet. Irori, Pharasma, Magdh or Chaldira I guess.

I will start an app and see what would fit the best.

1 minute ago, droobles said:

Oh, I wasn't asking for spheres, just noting that you had a very complete faq that covered most common requests.

Sorry, misunderstood your comment. My bad. 😅

2 minutes ago, droobles said:

About deific obedience (or monitor obedience), I haven't decided yet. Irori, Pharasma, Magdh or Chaldira I guess.

Irori - Ilmatar or Oghma would make the most sense, I'd think, depending on what about Irori attracted you. Realms doesn't really have a god much like him
Pharasma - Kelemvor is definitely your best bet as a god like Pharasma, I'd say.
Magdh - Kelemvor may be the best fit, but we could discuss further
Chaldira - Tymora is definitely the best choice there.

What's the actual "hook" for new characters, as it were? The story so far is helpful but I'm not 100% clear on what the goals and aims of the party are now, or how new characters might be motivated to join them. (It's also not entirely clear to me why this precludes evil characters)

Guns are not allowed as they do not exist, but can I have a Lantanese smokepowder arquebus? 😇

Would "no Leadership" rule out options like the Hathran PrC (PGtF version, most likely) or could that simply be skipped/swapped for something else? (Admittedly, Hathran at L9 is pretty so-so anyway, but still)

Out of curiosity (but not at all relevant to character creation), why no Quinggong Monk, Bladebound Magus or Reanimated Medium? Not looking to change your mind or anything, just seems like an unusual selection so I'd be interested to know the reasons.

1 hour ago, Blanket_Thunder said:

How do you feel about words of power? I know many people consider it suboptimal, but I've got a great idea for a character, particularly at this level.

If not, no big deal!

Go for them

5 minutes ago, TheFred said:

What's the actual "hook" for new characters, as it were? The story so far is helpful but I'm not 100% clear on what the goals and aims of the party are now, or how new characters might be motivated to join them. (It's also not entirely clear to me why this precludes evil characters)

Because Cormanthyr isn't going to hire evil people. And because for this particular campaign, evil PCs doesn't fit what I want. Some GMs are blanket always no evil PCs, so it's not like my ban on them here is that usual.

You're going to be dispatched by the Cormanthyr government to look into something for them, or are asked to help the Coronal/Cormanthyr out by someone who you owe a favor or respect or has authority over you, or maybe hired, etc. With how many people we hemorrhaged from the original party, even with recruitment, self-motivation for the party isn't really a factor right now (though the existing characters will recognize things, because it ties into the previous adventure). Your character is someone who is friendly to Cormanthyr, or at least someone who has worked for them before, or has been referred to them, etc.

Guns are not allowed as they do not exist, but can I have a Lantanese smokepowder arquebus? 😇

No

Would "no Leadership" rule out options like the Hathran PrC (PGtF version, most likely) or could that simply be skipped/swapped for something else? (Admittedly, Hathran at L9 is pretty so-so anyway, but still)

Swapping it out would be the best option.

Out of curiosity (but not at all relevant to character creation), why no Quinggong Monk, Bladebound Magus or Reanimated Medium? Not looking to change your mind or anything, just seems like an unusual selection so I'd be interested to know the reasons.

I don't like them mechanically.

I actually think a Lantanese Gnome Experimental Gunsmith Gunslinger could make for a very flavourful FR character, but mechanically Experimental Gunsmith seems pretty terrible anyway so it's possibly for the best that that isn't an option I can talk myself into trying. 🙂

6 minutes ago, Kylia Quilor said:

Because Cormanthyr isn't going to hire evil people. And because for this particular campaign, evil PCs doesn't fit what I want. Some GMs are blanket always no evil PCs, so it's not like my ban on them here is that usual.

I'm not sure I'm entirely convinced; seems quite discriminatory to me, refusing to hire someone just because they're evil, as well as impractical, not to mention the fact that this assumes that they know that you're evil (I, for one, don't tend to go around telling people!). Your game, though, so no worries. I was more interested in the hook; hired works fine for most things, I suppose, though owing a favour might be more interesting.

seems quite discriminatory to me, refusing to hire someone just because they're evil,

... it's Pathfinder. It's Faerun. Evil as a capital E cosmic Principle exists. The 'discrimination' card doesn't remotely apply. And this isn't a question of hiring day laborers, this is about highly highly skilled people for matters connected to the Security of the Realm.

I guess I still have a weird request. I am not happy enough with paladin 9, so could one of the options below be available:

1- Fighter 3/Paladin 2/Pious Templar 4 - Pious Templar is 3.5 from complete divine and needs the true believer feat from the same book.

2- Fighter 4/Cleric 1/Prestige Paladin 4 - Prestige Paladin is from UA.

I might still go with paladin 9, but I am too starved for feats 😅.

12 hours ago, Laird_Thorne said:

What is the current status of Mulhorand and the Mulhorandi?

They exist. The weird nonsense that WotC did to ditch them for a while in 4e never happened. They're just doing their knockoff Egyptian thing out in the East

12 hours ago, Laird_Thorne said:

Also, if you take a VMC can you still Multiclass normally?

You technically can, the two systems don't clash.

58 minutes ago, droobles said:

1- Fighter 3/Paladin 2/Pious Templar 4 - Pious Templar is 3.5 from complete divine and needs the true believer feat from the same book.

2- Fighter 4/Cleric 1/Prestige Paladin 4 - Prestige Paladin is from UA.

I don't think I want to allow prestige Paladin, since it really only works if regular paladin doesn't exist (IMO). Pious templar is allowed, as is the true believer feat. I'd say Pious templar is a little weak by PF standards, so it could do with a little buffing. But we can work that out.