Moose Hunt OOC

Kistler

I updated Qingalic's last post to grab the bull tapir by the horns and move along ... well not literally, but he just went ahead with a Treat Wounds check which might be good: 17 compared to default DC = 15.

Even with appropriate skills and a bad roll, i don't know if i can just keep rolling until it beats the DC or if it's one try and then we just fail.

Maybe gor a partial success we think we tame the tapir, but throughout it just keeps wandering off and slowing down the tribe.

Maybe the elders see we didnt do it properly and dock part of our reward.

Maybe the first time we use them to assess safety of an area that one just wanders off and isnt seen again, giving us no warning.

All are failure options that could move us forward. Or i can just keep rolling?

• 2 weeks later...

19 hours ago, BarbarossaLives said:

Both of the Tapers are fully healed and have the thorns out. While the 2nd one (not Buttercup) is not befriended, Buttercup is a friend to it.

I was waiting for all of you to respond before starting the journey back to the camp. If I don't have any response by Jan 4th, we will move on. I hope you all had a good Christmas or Holidays and a Happy lNew year.

I am ready to move on.

We have some nasty weather coming through for a while: reports of power outages are fairly widespread so I might lose power for a while.

Just an FYI in case it seems that I do not post reasonably quickly. @Zen Gypsy could run Qingalic if need be to keep things moving.

Knock-on-wood.

27 minutes ago, allefgib said:

Hope you're safe Vedast.

Yes, thank you.

Ironically, perhaps, we lost power yesterday for about 3 hours due to a late-falling tree bringing down a power line.

But if a sled will substitute for a cart, Qingalic is ready to go. He can carry 6 bulk, but he'd have to strip down considerably to do so (no armor or pack).

Save the stripping down for task 4, making the tribe's annual "heat of the north" calendar. :D

A simple pack animal might suffice if we can get one. I like the idea of a sled, though what's the current weather? Is it snowy at all?

Edited by Kistler (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Kistler said:

A simple pack animal might suffice if we can get one. I like the idea of a sled, though what's the current weather? Is it snowy at all?

Perhaps I should have used the term travois, but sled seemed more accessible: point being that I didn't intend for a snow-limited conveyance.

I'm fine with pack animals.

PS I think we are in early Spring (whenever that is this far north). Consider this descriptive text from the first post of the Moose Hunt: ... grass sprouting from the recently thawed tundra.

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

General rules question regarding precision damage and resistance:

If I strike something with resistance to all damage does that apply to both base damage and precision?

I know if you cast a spell that did 1d8 Sonic and 1d8 fire the resistance would apply to each.

I see:

When you hit with an ability that grants you precision damage, you increase the attack's listed damage, using the same damage type, rather than tracking a separate pool of damage. 

Which seems to say you don't apply resistance twice.

But also:

Likewise, since precision damage is always the same type of damage as the attack it's augmenting, a creature that is resistant to non-magical damage, like a ghost or other incorporeal creature, would resist not only the dagger's damage but also the precision damage, even though it is not specifically resistant to precision damage.

Is this just covering the case of "creature has resistance 5 to all, you deal 3 damage with your strike plus 4 precision damage. The creature takes 3+4 =7 - 5 = 2 damage. As opposed to 3-5 = 0 + 4 = 4 damage. Or 3 - 5 + 4 - 5 = 0 damage." And is the typical paizo tendancy to add confusion when saying "its the same pool of damage" would have sufficed?

Edited by Kistler (see edit history)

On 1/13/2024 at 8:24 AM, Kistler said:

And is the typical paizo tendancy to add confusion when saying "its the same pool of damage" would have sufficed?

Perhaps this is just Paizo's being careful since there are creatures immune to precision damage? Of course, one can note that if the target is immune to precision damage, it's not part of the damage pool to begin with. Anyway, the immunity vs. resistance distinction might be why they were nuanced with the wording. Not saying it makes a lot of sense, just all I could think of.

=========

Qingalic's choosing "Search" might seem odd for an outdoor Activity given the description, but I thought that it would make sense to have some of the party keeping an eye out for more distant potential concerns (i.e. Scouting) whilst Qingalic focused on watching the ground for snares, traps etc. It need not be Qingalic, of course, if Egan (as a rogue) would rather take the Search role; Qingalic could Cover Tracks and take the rearguard; whilst the others Scout ahead and the flanks.

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...