Evedgebah Makes a Paladin

evedgebah

Born in North Reach of Yeomanry, Maximilian's father was a watchman, his mother tended hearth and home. Life at the edge of the mountains was tough, with Jotun and other raiders being not uncommon. He learned to fight at a young age, and quickly adopted his family faith of Kord. Max was never the strongest of the lads, but he was swift and hearty. Above all, he showed courage and perseverance. He was quickly accepted to the church of Kord and trained himself to seek out and fight evil. He lost his parents to the Red Death outbreak of 576. Shortly thereafter, he left his home to fight evil at its sources.

When conflict broke out in 578, he arranged passage and joined the war between the Great Kingdom and the Nyrond Alliance. He served in the Great Kingdom until the Greyhawk Wars broke out and was eager to join the fray. When the fighting ended 584, he traveled to the Free City to see it's splendor and in hopes that such a location would garner more challenges for him to come.

Now an older ex-soldier, he has become a vagabond hero in his own mind. A defender of the weak, he dons heavy armor and shield. His bravado remains, but his style has become more defensive over the years. With a big and boisterous personality, he's a hard man to miss when he wants to be seen or heard. With his strength waning some, he still holds onto the tenets of Kord and his faith. Though the sword has decreased in size, his bravado has only increased.

Maximilian Dagrépont

MV5BMTQ1MDkwNjAzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjEwNzgwMw@@._V1_SX774_CR00774499_AL_.jpg.aba2eac43798508f116b96bfeabaa6eb.jpg

[URL=/sheets/?id=2857093][B][SIZE=+1]Maximilian Dagrépont[/SIZE][/B][/URL] Male Chaotic Good Human Paladin, [B]Level[/B] 5, [B]Init[/B] 2, [B]HP[/B] 60/60, [B]DR[/B] 0, ER Fire 4, Frost 3, Shock 3, Acid 3, [B]Speed[/B] 20 [B]AC[/B] 24, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 22, [B]CMD[/b] 17, [B]Fort[/B] 12, [B]Ref[/B] 9, [B]Will[/B] 12, [B]CMB[/B] +5, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 5 [B]+1 Starknife of Kord [/B] +13 (1d8+7, 20/x3) [B]+1 Defensive CE 5 Starknife of Kord (+9 AC) [/B] +9 (1d8+7, 18-20/x2) [B]+1 Full Plate[/B], [B]Masterwork Heavy Steel Shield[/B] (+10 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 11, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 22 [B]Condition[/B] Boisterous [b]Skills:[/b] Diplomacy +15, Perception +10, Sense Motive +10, Knowledge (Planes/Religion) +9, Acrobatics +2 (with ACP) [b]Static Buffs:[/b] Immune to Disease and Fear, Endure Elements, +4 on most checks and damage vs Evil Outsiders [b]Per Day Abilities[/b] Lay on Hands: 8 of 8 remaining (2d6+6 Healing Single or 3d6 AOE) Divine Bond 1 of 1 remaining
Maximilian Dagrépont
Male Chaotic Good Human Paladin, Level 5, Init 2, HP 60/60, DR 0, ER Fire 4, Frost 3, Shock 3, Acid 3, Speed 20
AC 24, Touch 12, Flat-footed 22, CMD 17, Fort 12, Ref 9, Will 12, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 5
+1 Starknife of Kord +13 (1d8+7, 20/x3)
+1 Defensive CE 5 Starknife of Kord (+9 AC) +9 (1d8+7, 18-20/x2)
+1 Full Plate , Masterwork Heavy Steel Shield (+10 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 11, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 22
Condition Boisterous
Skills: Diplomacy +15, Perception +10, Sense Motive +10, Knowledge (Planes/Religion) +9, Acrobatics +2 (with ACP)
Static Buffs: Immune to Disease and Fear, Endure Elements, +4 on most checks and damage vs Evil Outsiders
Per Day Abilities
Lay on Hands: 8 of 8 remaining (2d6+6 Healing Single or 3d6 AOE)
Divine Bond 1 of 1 remaining

I Need a Hero (Bonnie Tyler)

The barmaid yelps and hustles to the bar.

"I wouldn't do that again son." Max says with his deep baritone voice, sipping his ale. His large cloak is grey, stained, wrinkled, and torn. It's bulk conceals his form save for his protruding greyed beard and his dented gauntlets. He doesn't turn to acknowledge the rapscallion who groped the lass. He gets laughter and curses in reply. Some rot about old man and minding his business.

The woman walks back past Max carrying an armful of mugs. Another yelp. The sound of drinks crashing to the floor. More laughter.

Max stands up, kicking his stool back as he spins around. One of the men pulls a dagger from his boot and sneers. Max glances at his own blade and shield, sitting with the bouncer at the entrance of the tavern as per policy. He flings back his cloak dramatically, revealing a red, white, and blue tartan, the heraldry of Kord, the Brawler. Dagrépont bellows a battle cry as the chaos of battle ensues.

"FOR HONOR AND GLORY! THE POWER OF KORD COMPELS YOU! FIGHT ME LEST YE BE COWARDS BEFORE YOUR GODS!" (Replace "England" with "Kord")

The man is a tank in his full plate armor. It's quickly apparent that the leather-clad hooligans stand no chance against him in a fair fight. One grabs a patron and flings them at Max, the poor man crumbling against his armor. The man with the dagger moves to flank Max. He swings wildly and desperately, oblivious to the injuries he inflicts on the panicked bystanders in the crowded tavern. Max barrels on into the melee, swinging at the assailants and shrugging off any blows against him, even as some few find purchase between the plates of his armor.

In under a minute, and despite their underhanded tactics, he chases the brigands out of the World's End, laughing and yelling all the while. Turning around, he lets out a triumphant roar as he saunters back into the middle of the room. Many are groaning and clutching injuries on the floor and furniture. They look up in fear at the intense countenance of the ironclad figure before them. Max raises his hands into the air and a warm blue explosion of light emanates from him, washing over the injured and closing their wounds.

"VICTORY!"

He nods to the flabbergasted patrons and staff and steps to the door, grabbing his blade and shield from the cowering bouncer. The man gets a frown and a shake of Max's head as the wandering paladin exits the establishment to seek his next challenge.

Dice and Stat Gen

11 11 14 15 15 16

11 15 15 11 14 16

10 14 14 12 15 17 Middle Age

10 14 14 12 15 19 Human

10 14 14 12 15 20 Level 4

Other Chargen notes

Paladins normally have to be LG in Pathfinder, but there's tons of variants both there and in D&D. Ideally I'd like to have the Desna Feat to allow Charisma to Hit and Damage, but Desna isn't in Greyhawk. Her portfolio consists of Dreams, Luck, Stars, Travelers, and Domains Chaos, Good, Liberation, Luck, Travel. So there's a bunch that could qualify. I don't care about the Starknife in particular if you'd prefer I stick to a Greyhawk deity more closely. Dalt or Kord are probably closest (I'd prefer Kord for a Paladin of Freedom vibe). Lirr could work too, or Olidammara. I'm a bit flexible on the deity end.

https://www.aonprd.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Paladin Faithful Wanderer

https://www.aonprd.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Paladin Tempered Champion

https://www.aonprd.com/ClassDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Paladin - Of Freedom

Skills Changed from Wanderer
Aura of Good > Changes to Alignment of Plane he is on (Wanderer)
Detect Evil Wanderer Archetype Loses it
Smite Evil > Stalk Evil: +4 bonus on Hit, Damage, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, Stealth, and Survival checks against evil outsiders
Divine Grace: + Cha to Saves
Lay on Hands: 2d6 CHA+2 per day = 8
Aura of Courage: Self only - Immune to Fear
Divine Health: Immune to Disease
Mercy: Lay on Hands also cures Shaken
Channel Energy: 3d6, 2 Lay on Hands to use
Divine Bond: Weapon, 1 min, +1 or defending, flaming, keen, or merciful
Spellcasting > Divine Weapon Specialization (TC): Bonus Feat [4] and Warpriest Weapon Base Damage

Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (nobility) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int)

Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (planes), Perception, Stealth, and Survival

INT+5 Skills Per Level (+4 Paladin Wanderer, +1 Human)

Diplomacy
Acrobatics
Sense Motive
Perception
Knowledge (Planar)
Knowledge (Religion)

Alternate Favored Class bonus: +1 to a single Elemental Resistance at each level (+1 to Cold, Shock, Acid, +2 Fire)

1 [B] Antagonize: Diplomacy to impose penalties if enemy does not attack him
1 [H] Weapon Focus: Divine Fighting Technique Weapon Group - Starknife? - Archetype makes the base not matter.
1 [R] Defensive Expert: +4 to AC when Fighting DefensivelyYou gain a +6 bonus to AC when benefiting from cover instead of the normal +4 bonus to AC. (If you use the rules for varying level of cover, you gain a bonus to AC +2 higher than normal.) You gain a +3 dodge bonus to AC when fighting defensively instead of the normal +2 dodge bonus. If you have 5 ranks of Tumble, you gain a +4 dodge bonus to AC when Fighting defensively instead of the usual +3 dodge bonus.
1 [T] World Traveler: Diplomacy Class Skill and +1
1 [T] Unscathed: +2 to all Elemental Resistances that are at least +1
3 [B] Swordplay Style: +1 Shield to AC when Fighting Defensively, ignore first Combat Expertise Penalty each attack round
4 [B] Greater Mercy: +1d6 Healing if Mercy is not needed
4 [P] Divine Fighting Technique: Charisma to hit/damage
5 [5] Reward of Life: + CHA to Lay on Hands Healing others

10,500 GP

+1 Full Plate 2,650 GP
+1 "Starknife" 2,324 GP - Tempered Champion Archetype makes the base Damage 1d8 regardless of choice.
Masterwork Steel Shield 170 GP
Vest of Endure Elements 1,000 GP
Headband of Alluring Charisma (+2) 4,000 GP
Anytool 250 GP
Masterwork Backpack 50 GP: +1 STR for Carrying Capacity
Wooden Holy Symbol 1 GP

55 GP

Edited by evedgebah (see edit history)

On 11/24/2023 at 9:30 PM, evedgebah said:

Divine Fighting Technique

That... is the most complicated feat I think I've ever seen.

Okay, I realize that there's a balancing act between adapting one setting's relevant feats to another, even across different systems, all while trying to build an optimal character. But Kord is a god of strength, using Charisma as a fighting-style boost from a bard fighting style is a stretch... though its kind of interesting both Desna and Kord have four-pointed weapons as their symbols (techncially eight for Kord).

There has to be an easier way to get Charisma to attacks/damage... unless, ah, Strength as a dump stat. It's 'cause he's getting old too, right? You're using the aging stats? Let's talk this through.

Desna and Kord also share 3(!) domains. That's the idea though, nothing much more to say. In Pathfinder that's the only way to get CHA to attack/damage. We needed a healer AND a tank, so this was how I saw to do it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o91Z-s0R7Vf2Ujj1lFqGC5W--9JOyU0I6uC9XRIR5to/edit?pli=1#!

Edited by evedgebah (see edit history)

Nice picture!

Sorry to barge in, but I'm throwing some ideas out there:

What about swapping Str & Wis, un-aging him by some years to avoid penalties, and keeping Smite to get Cha to attack (and +level to damage)?

I know those are big changes though...

But I don't think we should feel pressure to have the traditional tank & healer roles filled? It doesn't seem like a typical dungeon adventure. We'll invest in wands of cure light if needed.

I'm well versed in character creation mechanics. I started with the concept of a Paladin of Kord who was mostly Guff and Charisma and went with it. Going for the "Big Damn Hero" vibe. The rest fell in after. There's lots of ways to cover tank and healer in Pathfinder. I was just bored of the Typical Cleric and really wanted to do a Charisma-based fighter type. I trust Oasys, and if he'd prefer I go a different route, I don't mind at all.

22 hours ago, evedgebah said:

Desna and Kord also share 3(!) domains.

Chaos, Good, and Luck.

In Pathfinder that's the only way to get CHA to attack/damage.

When I first read this, I though, "What? That can't be true." But I'm guessing you mean, consistently, rather than situationally and now I realize you're right... most of the content gives Charisma to saves or reserves Charisma to attacks only on specific targets.

We needed a healer AND a tank, so this was how I saw to do it.

2 hours ago, evedgebah said:

There's lots of ways to cover tank and healer in Pathfinder.

I'll circle back to this.

Has this been updated? I read on Reddit that it's sort of languished as Paizo kept making more and more content.

I started with the concept of a Paladin of Kord who was mostly Guff and Charisma and went with it. Going for the "Big Damn Hero" vibe. The rest fell in after.

Okay. In that... you have succeeded.
Maybe too well.

I trust Oasys, and if he'd prefer I go a different route, I don't mind at all.

Thank you.

Edited by TheOasysMaster (see edit history)

I'm well versed in character creation mechanics.

This is absolutely true, @namo, lol

16 hours ago, namo said:

the traditional tank & healer roles filled? It doesn't seem like a typical dungeon adventure. We'll invest in wands of cure light if needed.

...however, @evedgebah, he does have a point here. So far, I only have a few a submissions (I think because I made the actual game months ago, Myth-Weaver's algorithim won't promote the ad to the top of the list, lol, even those this is the first I've advertised), and there's no impetus to fill a certain roll. I can easily throw together an NPC to plug a hole too.

"Divine fighting techniques emulate the martial supremacy and approach to combat of certain gods, but do not generally require users’ interests and goals to be aligned with the techniques’ associated deities.

Although each deity’s divine fighting technique is primarily preserved and passed on by her faithful, worship is not required to learn one. Instead, these fighting styles simply require a certain manner of looking at the world and specific combat training. A god’s divine fighting technique has an initial benefit as well as an advanced benefit available only if you meet certain prerequisites."

Okay. So, now that I've properly wrapped my head around it, I think I can explain what stood out to me. Kord is about Strength but its obvious, based on the rolls, stat assignment and age, has taken away Max's strength. He'd probably be pitied (at best) or ridiculued for his weakness in the faith. My first fix was going to be, 'just don't worship Kord'. But maybe fighting with more panache is how Max has dealt with what time has done to him. I believe that this build is legal. It's just making the backstory fit. The alternative paladin is a non-issue. I'm a little surprised that Pathfinder doesn't appear to have their own but maybe it's OGL stuff or its buried in the content bloat.

Another suggestion would be for him to be a paladin of Dalt instead? Dalt's travel domain goes well with Max's wandering nature and would draw less, conflict with the strength issue. And his favored weapon is a dagger, which would free you from using a starknife.

I think this feat has an inherent conflict built in, between the gods a character might wish to worship and a weapon they'll want to use. I think it leaves you compelled to build a character around that style, rather than having a character who, in the course of their martial/faith journey, come to that style.

So yeah, I think this works, just gotta either tweak Max's backstory or have him worship a more fitting god (just ignore Pathfinder's own lore), like Dalt, and don't feel too compelled to using the starknife. The starknife's advanced ability won't ever become relevant anyways.

I think a Dalt-worshipping Paladin who flits about with a whole host of knives on his person works well but there is depth to a Kord-worshipping paladin who's had to put down the sword and pick up a smaller blade and use more style and flash rather than Strength, while still remaining competitive and dedicated to good and freedom, etc. Both are really good options. There might be a third or more. Probably. But my brain's too fried at the moment.

6 hours ago, evedgebah said:

Ah, so I'm not beholden to Desna's Domains/Portfolio for a match?

Pathfinder/Golarion's lore is utterly irrelevant. From what I can tell, the Divine Fighting Style feats only require worshiping the relevant deity for some or having the same alignment for others.

6 hours ago, evedgebah said:

What about the Starknife? How far can I deviate?

I think just using knives/light blades should be fine. Based on the style. The advanced technique that's specific to the four bladed weapon won't come into play anyways.