Day 4 - Kalaman

emotionaut

spacer.pngKora Shadowhawk

AC: 11 (14) |  HP: 22/22 |  PP: 11 | Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Sorcery Pts: 3/3
Inspiration:  | Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Sylvan

Kora nodded her thanks to Darrett and took a brief walk through the castle while the rest of the group configured and tidied up their accommodations. The number of guards and servants still awake was low, which Kora realized shouldn't be surprising given the late hour. She greeted and talked with those that would and could but decided after a little while not to spend the whole night doing so. The weariness was becoming insistent - and she eventually succumbed to the call to rest.

When she returned to the group, Kora shrugged at Jonas' inquiring look. She wasn't particularly concerned with how the space was divided - she'd shared wagons with all ages, races, and genders as a youth. While she had developed a fondness for privacy, she also recognized that insisting on such would continue to look suspicious. And she was too tired to care right now. Best to bed down in whatever spot was reserved for her and catch what sleep she could. Who knew when they would next be able to sleep safely?

OOC

Persuasion check added below.

Come the morning, Kora will partake in the offer of equipment from the armory. She will select a sling, a set of bullets, a bag of caltrops, a small bag of ball bearings, and some writing supplies (ink, pen, and parchment).

Edited by Lonewalker (see edit history)
Name
Charisma (Persuasion) check
1d20+5 10

Jaqi-removebg-preview.png.b3541d0c0510d68f8de0fcef4a59de2b.pngJaqelenna Lanthaloren

Silvanesti Elf Dragonrune Fighter (3) | Conditions: None

checked-shield.svgAC: 16 | health-normal.svg HP: 30/30 | awareness.svg PP: 13 | 2nd Wind: 1/1 |Action Surge: 0/1| Insp | Languages: Common, Draconic, Elvish

Jaqelenna raises one of her thick and intense eyebrows at the young man as he darts up to whisper to his mother. A slight curl of a smile appears on her lips at the mention that they have slayed a ‘dragon’, yet, much like Bastion, she does not deny the notion. To her, it is not an untruth to allow a rumor to spread. After all, it is not her that is speaking a lie. Let them believe what they wish. A powerful reputation is like a finely sharpened blade; it has already benefited them and all of the refugees from Vogler. At least this time the sharpened blade is wielded by honorable hands.  

In response to Mayor Taven’s gratitude, Jaqi bows her head in acceptance, “The Knights of Solamnia will always work to help those in need — even those only considered squires. We are expected to speak the Knight’s code, yes, but we are also expected to put it to action.” 

Later in the evening, Darrett shows them around the castle with a nervous energy that confuses Jaqi. She has a hard time telling what age the man is, as she often does with humans, and cannot tell if the nervousness comes from being new to the Guard or if this is their reputation at work again. Nevertheless, she remains respectfully quiet during the tour and only speaks up near the end, when they are shown to the ballroom. Her eyes narrow contemplatively while she scans the open chamber, “It appears as such a waste that a…eh…’dancing floor’ of such size has not been used for a long time. Back in my home, our ‘dancing floor’ was used for every event of celebration — be it birth or memorial. To dance is to let free the…eh…feelings in one’s heart-soul; to contain such energy within the body is a sin — ah, not this word…crime?” She ponders the proper wording for a moment before giving up and immediately moving to set up her bedding area, as if the statement was rhetorical. 

The sizable Elf has only just started claiming an area before Jonas supplies a more appropriate idea of separating the quarters by gender. It hadn’t occurred to her at first, as propriety has not been on the forefront of her mind since she left Silvanesti. But considering it now, she did at one time enjoy a small bit of privacy. She will take what little of it she can get now. Besides, it meant that she could be closer to Kora, in case she decides to get up to trouble in the night. 

So, following his direction, Jaqi uses her considerable strength and size to aid in the reorganization of the chamber. Once the job is done, she is content with her small pocket of the ballroom, even if the top of her head sticks out past the top of the privacy screen. 

Much like the others, she feels the exhaustion hit her harder than any dragon abomination had thus far. But she pushes her self just a slight bit further, so that she might speak with the others in light conversation. Training under the nights, she had learned that camaraderie with one’s allies could be the difference between victory and failure. She takes a bit of time, hoping to catch each member amongst them in a small conversation before they enter their slumber.

She goes to Bastion first, “The moment that followed our battle was tense and full of uncertainty, but now that we have the seconds to spare I wish to say: Your movements were as water over stagnant stone, eroding all that stood in your way. You are an honorable and talented man, Bastion. I am thankful that it is you who was at my side when things traveled south.” Her brow furrows at her own comment, as she is certain the wording is not quite right. Nevertheless, the point is made. And if anyone is going to understand her, it is Bastion.

Next, she visits the young Kender, Heather, “I know not of your past, little Heather, but I know of your present. You have proven that you are honorable and skilled. I am happy to accept you as a sister squire, although if the choice was mine, I would have already raised us all to knights.” She gives heather a slight smirk at that comment.

To Kora, Jaqi speaks low without directly facing the woman. To those unfamiliar with Elves, the stance may be taken as a sign of disrespect. Yet, in Jaqi’s culture, it is only to show the other person that you are not attempting to approach them aggressively. “We have words for people like yourself in my language. The translation — it is not exact, but its meaning will hopefully remain: ‘A falling leaf, captured by a passing breeze’. It is not insult; merely a fact. I hope the breeze will not sweep you away when you are needed most.” She gives a sidelong glance towards Kora, and her expression is stern, yet not doubtful. “I am happy that you have decided to stay.”

Finally, when she goes to Jonas, she is unsure how to approach him. They are from opposite parts of the world, both literally and metaphorically. “I am thankful for your guidance in setting up this space. Your mind is an organized home — eh…I am meaning a different word, but I think you know this. Your fighting with us in Vogler was a brave action, and it was impressive. I was never close with many who wielded magic back in my home, so I am thankful to count you amongst my allies — perhaps a friend, in time.” She attempted a smile, but it came across weak and practiced. Her thoughts about the outcome of the defense of Vogler still weighed heavily on her mind.

Screenshot_20230201-234440.png.db8ce705b7312ec5a47bc51f8fc3dc97.pngHeather Nonameyet 

AC: 14 | HP: 20/20 Hit dice: 3/3d10

LR Abilities:  Taunt: 2/2 | Fearless 1/1 | 1st Level 3/3 | Primal spell 1/1

Attacks | Saves | Spells Sheet

Heather gives a grim little smile at Jaqi's words.

"Thank you... sister. It is an honour to be fighting together with real squires. The world is dangerous, so I might not live long enough to be a knight, but to be thought of as such by a warrior like you; to have you look at me and see me as I see myself - I will hold fast to your words."

Edited by Knave (see edit history)

Bastion

Bastion Wrencrest TokenBastion Wrencrest, Squire of Solamnia Banner

My words | My thoughts | My Actions
AC 14 HP 11/22 Speed 40 ft., PP 13
Sneak Attack 2d6 Precise Strike 2/2

Attacks and Scores

Scores Skills
Strength 8 (-1)
Save -1
  • Athletics +1

Dexterity 16 (+3)
Save +5

• Acrobatics +5
  • Sleight of Hand +7
  • Stealth +7
Constitution 13 (+1)
Save +1

Intelligence  15 (+2)
Save +4
  • Arcana +2
  • History +2
  • Investigation +4
  • Nature +6
  • Religion +2
Wisdom 12 (+1)
Save +1
  • Animal Handling +1
  • Insight +1
  • Medicine +1
  • Perception +3
  • Survival +5
Charisma 10 (+0)
Save +0
  • Deception +0
  • Intimidation +0
  • Performance +0
  • Persuasion +0

Dagger Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4+3 piercing damage, Simple, Finesse, Light, Thrown, 2 total

Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6+3 piercing damage, Simple, Two-Handed, Ammunition

Unarmed Strike. Melee: +1 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 0 bludgeoning damage.

Class and Race Abilities

Mobile
Your speed increases by 10 feet. When you use the Dash action, difficult terrain doesn't cost you extra movement on that turn. When you make a melee attack against a creature, you don't provoke opportunity attacks from that creature for the rest of the turn, whether you hit or not.

Squire of Solamnia
Your training in the ways of the Knights of Solamnia grants you these benefits:

• Mount Up. Mounting or dismounting costs you only 5 ft. of movement.

• Precise Strike. Once per turn, when you make a weapon attack roll against a creature, you can cause the attack roll to have advantage. If the attack hits, you roll a d8 and add the number rolled as a bonus to the attack’s damage roll. You can use this benefit 2 times per long rest, but a use is expended only if the attack hits.

Expertise
Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make for two chosen proficiencies. Choose two additional proficiencies.

• Stealth
  • Sleight of Hand

Sneak Attack
1 per turn
Once per turn, you can deal an extra 2d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack with a finesse or ranged weapon if you have advantage on the attack roll. You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 ft. of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Cunning Action
You can take a bonus action on each of your turns to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.

Skirmisher
You can move up to half your speed as a reaction when an enemy ends its turn within 5 ft. of you without provoking opportunity attacks.

Survivalist
You gain proficiency in the Nature and Survival skills and your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of them.

At the mention of gendered rooms, he hadn't even thought about it. Knights do what they must where and when they must, but dividing them up accordingly seemed prudent. Once divided, he rests accordingly, and upon waking, does his part in aiding the others and hitting the armory to see if there is anything worth taking beyond replenishing his quiver of mundane arrows.

To Jaqi's compliment, he grins, taking it as he can. More to the point, he compliments her back. "If I am honorable and talented, you are valorous and brave. The way you rushed into battle, consequences be damned, and fought to save others... I could only hope to be as brave in your place. I think you'd make Sir Viharin proud. I know you would. You're a true Knight of Solamnia."

To Heather he grins. "Well, if I'm a squire, or a Knight, or whatever title we presume to, so are you. Where you lack training, you make up for with action: is a knight what they do, or what they've learned?"

Out of Character

Situational:
Move: 
Action: 
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Ongoing Effects/Conditions: