Day 4 - Kalaman

emotionaut

Jonas Clarkspacer.png

3rd Level Wizard | AC 11/14 | health-normal.svg HP: 17/17 | awareness.svg PP: 17 | Spell Slots: 1st: 4/0, 2nd: 2/0 | InspX | Languages: Common, Draconic | Conditions: Limping (-5 Move)

Jonas swallowed as he gazed around the council chambers. Men and women of power, making decisions that would affect their town, not to mention the refugees of Volger. Surely they would see to it that Things Got Done.

And then he heard their leader, Governor Miat, introduce Bakaris as their leader. He blinked at the boldness of the lie. And then the lies just kept coming. He scowled from the rear ranks of the delegation.

He knew his limitations. Public speaking was one of them. Stammering out further admonitions would weaken our position by emphasizing our youth. So, what can you do that does not involve talking?

He let his eyes play over the assembled aristocrats. Bakaris had made his strategy clear. What about the others?

OOC

Jonas surveys the council, looking for perhaps sympathetic members that he could point Kora to.

And he rolls a nat 20! Woohoo!

Edited by taurelin (see edit history)
Name
Insight
1d20+4 20

Day:  4

Time:  7:40 P.M.

While the others speak, Jonas remains quiet and observant. There are seven members of the Council in total, including Governor Miat and Marshall Vendri. Of those two, Jonas senses that Marshall Vendri wants to believe the heroes over Bakaris, her role as protector of Kalaman causing her to err on the side of caution. And if she's any good at her job, she would know that it would be far easier to safeguard the people if they're all safely behind the walls. She would probably also welcome the offer made by Bastion to have warriors seasoned by battle with this new enemy.

The remaining five include the heads of the Fishing Guild, the Shipping Guild, the Merchants Guild, and the Tradespersons Guild. The seventh and final member looks to be a member of some kind of clergy. No doubt one of the new religions gaining traction in these parts. Jonas is unfamiliar with the gods worshipped in Kalaman, but by the way the man is scowling toward Kora, Andir, and Jonas himself, it seems this one will be siding with Bakaris against them.

The woman representing the Merchants Guild sits to the right of Lord Bakaris, and even in the short time they've been in the room, Jonas has observed some playful looks between them. They are either already friends, or the two are flirting with a partnership of one kind or another. She is unlikely to side with the heroes either.

The head of the Shipping Guild is rather hard to read. He has remained silent throughout the proceedings, but still engaged and considering everything being said. He strikes Jonas as the type to be quite analytical and more likely to be swayed by evidence. Unfortunately, evidence beyond testimony is in short supply. A thought then strikes Jonas, and while a longshot, it may just nudge the man to consider the severity of the situation. Ship captains on the sea are known to use the stars to navigate. Surely some have noticed the absent constellations in the sky at night. One of those constellations being the Dragon Queen may just get him to wonder at the connection to these Dragon Armies.

Conversely, the head of the Tradespersons Guild looks distracted, overwhelmed, or just wanting this meeting to end. He is not paying attention at all, and he tends to nod along to whatever is being said the loudest. Unfortunately, Lord Bakaris has been one of the loudest voices in his ear, being seated right beside him. This one may be a hard sell.

That leaves the woman heading up the Fishing Guild, and she looks sympathetic to the plight of the people of Vogler. Both Kalaman and Vogler are fishing settlements, albeit on very different scales. Her people no doubt interact with Vogler's fishermen on the river, from time to time. But then Jonas's eye catches something that convinces him she will be on their side. She wears a small broach depicting a kingfisher, in the same colors as were on display in Vogler just yesterday. Could it be a coincidence, or is it providence? Whatever the case, Jonas suspects she will vote in favor of Vogler.

By Jonas's calculations, there are two definite NOs, one probable NO, two likely voting YES, one possible YES, and then Governor Miat himself, who Jonas finds completely unreadable. He seems a decent man, and he has graciously allowed Lord Bakaris and the heroes to speak before the Council. Jonas must assume he will vote for whatever is best for Kalaman, but by the arguments presented, he could go either way.

OOC

Let's first see how Jaqi's second roll for advantage goes. If she rolls high enough, I won't require Kora to even roll to sway the Council. Otherwise, we'll allow Kora one last go at them, rolling with advantage herself. Sound good?

Time:  8:15 P.M.

Governor Miat listens intently to everything Jaqi has to say with respect to the threat the city may soon be facing. Her words are further punctuated by Heather's much more blunt summary of the situation. Standing, he asks the heroes to please step outside the chamber while the Council deliberates. As they are ushered out, they can't help but note that Lord Bakaris is not asked to do the same.

Thirty minutes pass, during which the heroes can hear the sounds of muffled conversation through the heavy oaken doors. What few exchanges can be partially made out consist of Lord Bakaris seeming to interrupt Marshall Vendri, causing her to raise her voice against him. These outbursts are quickly quelled, each time, most likely by the calm but commanding tone of Governor Miat.

Eventually, the chamber doors open and most of the Council members file past. A couple offer weak smiles to the heroes, while others avoid eye contact altogether. Lord Bakaris comes last, staring daggers at the heroes while somehow also holding his nose in the air.

Marshall Vendri then beckons to the heroes from inside the chamber, inviting them to join her and Governor Miat. When the party returns, Governor Miat addresses them in a decisive tone. "The citizens of Kalaman are prepared to offer the people of Vogler shelter inside the city walls, as well as the protection of our soldiers. And -- while we can spare it -- food from our tables," he explains.

"We will be moving residents of Kalaman's outer neighborhoods within the walls as well," Marshall Vendri is quick to add.

Governor Miat continues, "We do have a condition, however."

"A request," Vendri cuts in.

Miat concedes the point and corrects himself. "A request. The Council is concerned about the threat of this Dragon Army, but we know next to nothing about it. Our scouts and spies have turned up nothing, or turned up dead. You lot, however, have not only faced these foes, but saved an entire village from them. So we would ask that you aid us, as special operatives assigned to Kalaman's military, reporting directly to Marshall Vendri. You would each receive a weekly stipend of gold, as well as lodging in the castle barracks.

"We don't expect an answer immediately,"
Governor Miat adds. "Deliver our offer of hospitality to the people of Vogler. By the time you reach them, the gates will be opened wide. Then discuss the matter amongst yourselves. But we would appreciate an answer by morning."

OOC

Jaqi's second roll was sufficient to sway just enough of the Council to get things moving in the right direction. If you have questions for Governor Miat or Marshall Vendri, feel free to ask.

Screenshot_20230201-234440.png.db8ce705b7312ec5a47bc51f8fc3dc97.pngHeather Nonameyet 

AC: 14 | HP: 20/20 Hit dice: 3/3d10

LR Abilities:  Taunt: 2/2 | Fearless 1/1 | 1st Level 3/3 | Primal spell 1/1

Attacks | Saves | Spells Sheet

Heather nods. She never doubted that these city people would reach the right decision, although it's a little surprising that it took so long. Probably a lot of details to figure out.

The request is a different matter though. She wants to help these people. It seems like what a Knight would do. But what did she know? She looks to Jaqi and Bastion.

Bastion

Bastion Wrencrest TokenBastion Wrencrest, Squire of Solamnia Banner

My words | My thoughts | My Actions
AC 14 HP 11/22 Speed 40 ft., PP 13
Sneak Attack 2d6 Precise Strike 2/2

Attacks and Scores

Scores Skills
Strength 8 (-1)
Save -1
  • Athletics +1

Dexterity 16 (+3)
Save +5

• Acrobatics +5
  • Sleight of Hand +7
  • Stealth +7
Constitution 13 (+1)
Save +1

Intelligence  15 (+2)
Save +4
  • Arcana +2
  • History +2
  • Investigation +4
  • Nature +6
  • Religion +2
Wisdom 12 (+1)
Save +1
  • Animal Handling +1
  • Insight +1
  • Medicine +1
  • Perception +3
  • Survival +5
Charisma 10 (+0)
Save +0
  • Deception +0
  • Intimidation +0
  • Performance +0
  • Persuasion +0

Dagger Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4+3 piercing damage, Simple, Finesse, Light, Thrown, 2 total

Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6+3 piercing damage, Simple, Two-Handed, Ammunition

Unarmed Strike. Melee: +1 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 0 bludgeoning damage.

Class and Race Abilities

Mobile
Your speed increases by 10 feet. When you use the Dash action, difficult terrain doesn't cost you extra movement on that turn. When you make a melee attack against a creature, you don't provoke opportunity attacks from that creature for the rest of the turn, whether you hit or not.

Squire of Solamnia
Your training in the ways of the Knights of Solamnia grants you these benefits:

• Mount Up. Mounting or dismounting costs you only 5 ft. of movement.

• Precise Strike. Once per turn, when you make a weapon attack roll against a creature, you can cause the attack roll to have advantage. If the attack hits, you roll a d8 and add the number rolled as a bonus to the attack’s damage roll. You can use this benefit 2 times per long rest, but a use is expended only if the attack hits.

Expertise
Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make for two chosen proficiencies. Choose two additional proficiencies.

• Stealth
  • Sleight of Hand

Sneak Attack
1 per turn
Once per turn, you can deal an extra 2d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack with a finesse or ranged weapon if you have advantage on the attack roll. You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 ft. of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Cunning Action
You can take a bonus action on each of your turns to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.

Skirmisher
You can move up to half your speed as a reaction when an enemy ends its turn within 5 ft. of you without provoking opportunity attacks.

Survivalist
You gain proficiency in the Nature and Survival skills and your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of them.

Bastion does not speculate on the faces and moods of those to whom the fate of the people of Volger are beholden to, and instead only listens to what is said, by his companions primarily, but a great weight leaves his shoulders when the council reveals the gates will open for the survivors of Volger. The condition is not unexpected, but he does wince: and yet, the request is exactly what he excels at. He looks at Heather, offering her the quick upturn of a smile for half a moment, then looks to Jaqi, offering her a knowing look and a proud one, glad once more they're on the same team. "We thank you, honored council. You will have an answer by morning if not sooner. You cannot fathom how much it means to us to know the people we fought for, and nearly died for, will be under your protection." He says this with eyes on Bakaris. Once done, he bows, and turns, in a fitting manner to his mentor's specifications.

He is ready to go, and if and when they leave, he smiles to the others. "That went better than expected: but something tells me this will not be the last time we hear from that rat Bakaris. I have no problem accepting this condition they've laid before us, and I imagine I speak for Jaqi and Heather that we three will; but I don't want to presume for the rest of you."

Out of Character

Situational:
Move: 
Action: 
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Ongoing Effects/Conditions:

Jaqi-removebg-preview.png.b3541d0c0510d68f8de0fcef4a59de2b.pngJaqelenna Lanthaloren

Silvanesti Elf Dragonrune Fighter (3) | Conditions: None

checked-shield.svgAC: 16 | health-normal.svg HP: 30/30 | awareness.svg PP: 13 | 2nd Wind: 1/1 |Action Surge: 0/1| Insp | Languages: Common, Draconic, Elvish

When the decision is made, Jaqi exhales a breath that she had not even noticed that she had been holding. The condition — or ‘request’ — is not unexpected. She knows their work isn’t done, and this is more than acceptable as a method for them to complete it. Either way, she will be fighting the dragon army; at least this way they have funding and lodging to back their goals. She goes to respond, but Bastion takes the lead, and she is thankful for it. Better to take the given time to think the matter over and ensure their other allies are willing to make the same promise. She hopes that they are, because her need for vengeance grows with each passing moment.

She glances down to Heather and, much like her brother in arms, gives the Kinder a slight curl of a smile and a reassuring nod. She mirrors Bastion’s respectful bow in the place of her own people’s show of respect, and eventually they are on their way to deliver a bit of good news to the downtrodden refugees of Vogler. “Hm, you speak truth. Vermin like Bakaris will always be darting around between our feet, trying to trip and make us falling. If he becomes too much of a pest, we will deal with him as we do all pest: set a trap, let him find his own demise.” She nods firmly as they walk, certain that a man with his intelligence would take the bait with ease. 

“Yes. As Squires of the Knights of Solamnia, it is our duty to see this through. But, beyond duty, this is owed to Man-Captain Viharin. The rest of you can make a decision of your own, but I hope we will have you at our side.” She does not smile, as that was reserved for very specific and special moments, but there is an air of respect in her gaze as she looks at each of the non-squires in their group. That gaze lingers a little longer on Kora, but it is minuscule enough to only be noticed by the most perceptive.

spacer.pngKora Shadowhawk

AC: 11 (14) |  HP: 22/22 |  PP: 11 | Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Sorcery Pts: 3/3
Inspiration:  | Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Sylvan

Kora followed the rest out of the council chambers, ruminating on what had been said and revealed during the exchange. She was surprised and pleased that the group had chosen to lend aid. Perhaps Jaqelenna's passion and experience held more weight than Kora's wit and logic. Or perhaps it was both. She was intrigued by Jonas' observations and insight into the city leaders. She had written him off as a introverted wallflower - but perhaps he was more perceptive than she was giving him credit for. What else was he noticing that she didn't realize? 

As the Squires discussed the call made by Governor Miat, Kora stood slightly apart from the rest. Unlike the others, she had no oaths to guide her path. She had no obligation to risk her life against this Dragon Army. She wanted the people of Vogler to be safe and cared for, yes, but that effort was complete. Kora had her own goals and schemes - the last thing she needed to do was get caught up in a war. 

The faces of her family within the Riverwrights drifted across her mind's eye. They had needed aid from a nebulous danger - and the Towers had failed them. If she turned away from this threat, was she her own person seeking her goals - or was she just like the Wizards of the Towers? The thought rankled her, but it refused to give ground to her subconscious protests. Kora let out a sign and looked back up at the group, inadvertently meeting Jaqi's gaze as the elf warrior stared briefly at her. Reflexively Kora turned away, closing her expression off until Jaqi's piercing eyes had moved on. 

"I have no stake in this conflict," she found herself saying aloud, "I have my own quests to see to, and I'm not especially keen to face that army again. Besides, I know you don't trust me completely - and you're probably wise not to. My goals are not the same as yours. But you seem to be a capable lot - you should manage well enough without an extra spellcaster at your backs."

Kora watched the group through her peripheral vision, calculating and evaluating....

Edited by Lonewalker (see edit history)

Jonas Clarkspacer.png

3rd Level Wizard | AC 11/14 | health-normal.svg HP: 17/17 | awareness.svg PP: 17 | Spell Slots: 1st: 4/0, 2nd: 2/0 | InspX | Languages: Common, Draconic | Conditions: Limping (-5 Move)

Jonas quietly assessed the scenario before the group. Join forces with the people of Kalaman, work with their Marshall, scout the Dragon Army. He noticed that the collaboration was being offered as a 'condition' from the Mayor, but a 'request' from the Marshall. I could see working with this woman. Particularly if she can handle the council.

He listened as the squires made their choices to ally with the Kalamanites. Not really a surprise - they are prospective Knights of Solamnia. Sworn to protect the people of the land. He traded a quick glance at Andir. And I don't think there's any doubt that Mage Nightsong would want us to lend our skills to this effort. He quirked a small smile as Andir gave him a knowing nod.

That left only the outsider, Kora. She had arrived under mysterious circumstances, and it was obvious she had some sort of history with the Tower. But still, she would certainly join them, wouldn't she?

And then she spoke, and Jonas' eyebrows shot up.

True to his nature, he kept his surprise to himself. He listened. What was she saying?

'I have my own quests'.

'I know you don't trust me completely.'

'My goals are not the same as yours.'

When she had finished, Jonas cleared his throat. "I can see your point. We are strangers. We don't know you. You don't know us, either."

"But given what I do know of you tells me that I should trust you. You leapt to the defense of the villagers of Volger. You are smart, worldly, and," and he gives a wry smile, "articulate. When you talk, people listen to you. You advocate for truth."

"Now, I wouldn't blame you for going your way. Things around here are unlikely to get better for a while. And there are those quests of yours."

He looked down, nervous about meeting her eyes. "But we could really use your help. I'm willing to trust you, if that helps."

"Please?"

OOC

AC: 11 (14) |  HP: 22/22 |  PP: 11 | Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Sorcery Pts: 3/3

Kora's attention shifted to Jonas. Once again, she wondered how much the quiet young man saw that he didn't reveal. Or perhaps that was just her suspicious nature. She eyed him, looking for the same manipulation that she had come to expect from the Towers. He wouldn't meet her gaze - but he seemed that way with everyone. Maybe Nightsong hadn't ingrained Wizard arrogance into Jonas yet. And he had said 'please.'

She let out a sigh. "Well...I don't think I'd want to depart until I knew that the Vogler folk were tended to. I suppose if you'll have me, I could lend aid in learning more about the movements and strengths of the Dragon Army. The more that the Governor and Marshall know, the better they can defend all those people we just saved." She shrugged, feigned indifference. "And I guess I could use the coin as well."

Time:  11:30 P.M.

The Heroes of Vogler depart Castle Kalaman while discussing their respective positions on the offer made to them. By the time they've returned to the city wall, they are in agreement. The threat to this region extends well beyond just one village. By the sounds of it, this Dragon Army has been preying on settlements across the region. Jaqi recalls similar reports before Silvanesti fell. The enemy is evaluating the defenses of the nearby towns and cities. More over, they are gauging their opponents' collective will to stand against them. Had someone like Lord Bakaris truly been in charge of Vogler, the town would have handed over those of the demanded bloodline, and thereby proven the region to be weak. But the heroes had mounted a stiff resistance and caused the enemy to suffer heavy losses. They now know they have a real fight on their hands.

By the time the group passes out of the gate, word has apparently been delivered to the villagers camped along the shore. Already, they march toward the city, where members of the city guard stand ready to direct them to temporary lodgings inside the walls. Mayor Taven is found to still be back in the camp, ensuring that every last citizen is safely on the road to Kalaman before she moves to join the procession.

Seeing the heroes approach, she smiles and visibly relaxes. "Something tells me we have you to thank for this turn of good fortune," she says. Her son runs up to her and tugs on her sleeve, causing her to bend down to catch his whisper. She then laughs and runs a hand through his hair. "Yes, my sweet. These are the wizards and knights who fought off the dragon men. Some of them are not that much older than you."

The boy looks upon the Heroes of Vogler in awe. He opens his mouth as if to say something, but then he loses his nerve and runs off to join some other children. Mayor Taven looks back at the heroes and says, "Word has spread. The children have all heard you slayed a dragon. I don't know what truth there is in that, but I do know you saved a lot of lives. Thank you."

The heroes assist the last of the refugees as they make the walk to the city gates. Resources are limited, but Governor Miat makes good on his promise and provides the villagers with roofs over their heads, blankets to keep warm, and bowls of warm stew to fill their bellies. By the time they are all settled, it is nearing midnight. The heroes take their leave and return to the offered lodgings within Castle Kalaman.

When they arrive, an eager young guard named Darrett greets them. After a nervous introduction, he escorts them through the castle while giving an impromptu tour. "The first floor is used primarily for administration. The city council and governor meet and hold events in the old throne room, as you saw. Clerks and other government officials have offices here. There is also a small library, if books are your thing," he says as they weave their way through the halls toward a large stone staircase.

Ascending, he continues, "Military command occupies the second floor. Officer lodging as well. In the morning, Marshal Vendri will meet with you here. She will want to speak with you first thing in the morning, once you are all rested."

Then, climbing to the third floor, Darrett goes on to say, "The third floor serves as the barracks for the city guards and soldiers, though many choose to live in the city. Mostly the ones with families. You'll find those who bunk here in the barracks are younger. But don't worry, everyone is very respectful. You won't be bothered by noises or other distractions."

Finally, the group climbs to the fourth floor, which has clearly not seen the same level of upkeep as the other levels. Dust and cobwebs gather in high corners. What furnishings exist are covered in tarps. And there is a noticeable drop in temperature, suggesting drafts through old doors and windows. Darrett apologizes, "The fourth floor doesn't see much use. Most of it is vacant, and in need of repairs. But the ballroom here is in decent shape. We use it sometimes when a visiting noble has an excessively large contingent of house guards."

He opens the doors to a grand ballroom, which would have been a sight to behold in its glory days. The floor looks to be a fine marble. There are stained glass windows along the back wall. And there is a mezzanine level overlooking the main dance floor. Of course, it has not been cleaned in some time, and much of the room is lost in shadow. A few servants are hurriedly lighting braziers while a steward considers the state of the main hearth. He seems to think better of trying to light it, and they leave the heroes with what light and warmth the braziers can provide.

There are cots arranged haphazardly, though they look light enough to rearrange to the heroes' liking. Similarly, there are privacy screens which can be moved to cordon off spaces for each of them, however they see fit. It's not all that different from the squires' housing that Bastion and Jaqi are accustomed to. For that matter, it's not terribly different from how the apprentices live at the Tower. Only Kora and Heather may find it takes some getting used to.

"Do you have any questions?" Darrett asks, eager to please. "Or shall I leave you to your rest?"

OOC

Darret will be your little gopher here in the castle. :)

Screenshot_20230201-234440.png.db8ce705b7312ec5a47bc51f8fc3dc97.pngHeather Nonameyet 

AC: 14 | HP: 20/20 Hit dice: 3/3d10

LR Abilities:  Taunt: 2/2 | Fearless 1/1 | 1st Level 3/3 | Primal spell 1/1

Attacks | Saves | Spells Sheet

Heather feels quite out of place in the large ballroom, noticing the rough and worn appearance of her clothes for the first time.

"As... special operatives reporting to Marshall Vendri, is there a quartermaster or armourer we could see? I'm looking for some studded leather armour if we're going to be tangling with these barbarians."

Kora looked over the accommodations with mixed feelings. The closeness and the rough simplicity of the makeshift living area did not bother her - it wasn't too far from the wagons that served as mobile homes to the Riverwright Troupe. The hasty arrangements here lacked the warmth and homey feel of her traveling family, but she granted that nothing would ever feel exactly like the home she had lost. In addition, the nearness of the squires and initiates bothered her. She would need to be wary about what she said or did in such close quarters. Nothing could be done for it now - she would just have to adapt and play her role.

"Do we have freedom to come and go, or are we required to check in should we desire to depart the castle and visit the town?"

For her part, Kora didn't actually think she had enough time to go exploring the nightlife of Kalaman (or seek out a way to contact Lorezet). The library might be a casual diversion, but she thought a pass through the barracks might reveal a bit more rumors about the Dragon Army - at least those tales that the rank-and-file might have heard. Even hearsay might offer a nugget of truth if you gathered enough.

Tabletop

Kora will spend some of the evening walking through the castle, chatting up any soldiers and servants who are up and about and not otherwise engaged. She'll share her stories of the attack on Vogler with those interested in exchange for their own gossip about the Dragon Army and local news.

If there are rumors that their little band fought and defeated a dragon, Kora will do nothing to discourage those stories.

Bastion

Bastion Wrencrest TokenBastion Wrencrest, Squire of Solamnia Banner

My words | My thoughts | My Actions
AC 14 HP 11/22 Speed 40 ft., PP 13
Sneak Attack 2d6 Precise Strike 2/2

Attacks and Scores

Scores Skills
Strength 8 (-1)
Save -1
  • Athletics +1

Dexterity 16 (+3)
Save +5

• Acrobatics +5
  • Sleight of Hand +7
  • Stealth +7
Constitution 13 (+1)
Save +1

Intelligence  15 (+2)
Save +4
  • Arcana +2
  • History +2
  • Investigation +4
  • Nature +6
  • Religion +2
Wisdom 12 (+1)
Save +1
  • Animal Handling +1
  • Insight +1
  • Medicine +1
  • Perception +3
  • Survival +5
Charisma 10 (+0)
Save +0
  • Deception +0
  • Intimidation +0
  • Performance +0
  • Persuasion +0

Dagger Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4+3 piercing damage, Simple, Finesse, Light, Thrown, 2 total

Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6+3 piercing damage, Simple, Two-Handed, Ammunition

Unarmed Strike. Melee: +1 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 0 bludgeoning damage.

Class and Race Abilities

Mobile
Your speed increases by 10 feet. When you use the Dash action, difficult terrain doesn't cost you extra movement on that turn. When you make a melee attack against a creature, you don't provoke opportunity attacks from that creature for the rest of the turn, whether you hit or not.

Squire of Solamnia
Your training in the ways of the Knights of Solamnia grants you these benefits:

• Mount Up. Mounting or dismounting costs you only 5 ft. of movement.

• Precise Strike. Once per turn, when you make a weapon attack roll against a creature, you can cause the attack roll to have advantage. If the attack hits, you roll a d8 and add the number rolled as a bonus to the attack’s damage roll. You can use this benefit 2 times per long rest, but a use is expended only if the attack hits.

Expertise
Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make for two chosen proficiencies. Choose two additional proficiencies.

• Stealth
  • Sleight of Hand

Sneak Attack
1 per turn
Once per turn, you can deal an extra 2d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack with a finesse or ranged weapon if you have advantage on the attack roll. You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 ft. of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Cunning Action
You can take a bonus action on each of your turns to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.

Skirmisher
You can move up to half your speed as a reaction when an enemy ends its turn within 5 ft. of you without provoking opportunity attacks.

Survivalist
You gain proficiency in the Nature and Survival skills and your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of them.

It was a good thing he knew what Kora could do, otherwise he wouldn't have even considered fighting so hard to get her to stay. He wasn't sure if he should trust her yet, not entirely, but what she had done so far gave him a good feeling. He didn't have to say much, given the logic and persuasion of his companions. And for his part, he was more interested in making sure Heather was on the right path, given her interest in the Knights. How she could be initiated he didn't know, but he intended on making sure she did, given her enthusiasm and her dedication to values and vows she had not yet taken or even knew, most likely. As they approached the refugees finally being admitted, he smiles and winks at the children, reminded of his home and his parents, but says nothing to dissuade the story, despite his open mouth. If nothing else, the Knights of Solamnia needed that win to their name.

And would continue to win, so long as people like Bakaris got out of the way.

He is polite during the tour, having little in the way of questions: let others bother with logistics. For his part, Bastion is exhausted and reactive, not proactive: he'd rather just process what's happened to him, to everyone, and not explore Kalaman, not meet people, not buy things.

"If it's all the same to everyone I'd just as soon turn in. Been a long... well, week, I suppose."

Out of Character

Situational:
Move: 
Action: 
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Ongoing Effects/Conditions:

Time:  11:35 P.M.

Darrett responds to Heather first, and very animatedly. One might guess that he's heard the tale of the dragon's defeat in Vogler. "Yes! Absolutely. I would be happy to bring you by the armory in the morning. Sizing may be an issue..." he says, considering Heather's stature. "But we have the best armorers in Kalaman at our disposal. If we can't find something that fits off the shelf, we will put in a rush order on a custom piece or a refit."

He then addresses the rest of you, raising his voice just slightly. "The same is true for you all. Any weapons or equipment you require, Marshall Vendri said to make sure you receive. This equipment comes compliments of the Kalaman city council and the governor."

Then, at Kora's question, Darrett again lowers his voice to conversational levels as he answers. "You are of course permitted to explore the castle at your leisure, but there are some areas which are off limits. Portions of this floor and the old dungeons, for your own safety. Certain offices on the first floor. The personal quarters of the officers on the second floor. Basic rule of thumb: if the door is locked, you shouldn't try to enter. In most cases, guards will be posted nearby to help you avoid wandering into areas you shouldn't. But by all means, explore! Just bear in mind that it's late."

OOC

Mundane weapons, armor, or equipment costing 25 gold or less can be acquired within the day. More expensive items, or items of unusual fit (like armor for a kender) may take longer. Just let me know what you're after and we'll put a timeline to it.

As for Kora exploring, I'm happy to entertain that, though probably in summary. It's nearing midnight, so much of the castle is quiet, with few servants or others about. And those who pull the graveyard shift may need some persuasion to get talking. If you wish to go, roll Persuasion for me and I'll summarize what she hears. If there is anything else you wish to do, use your best judgment on applicable skills and roll those as well.

Jonas Clarkspacer.png

3rd Level Wizard | AC 11/14 | health-normal.svg HP: 17/17 | awareness.svg PP: 17 | Spell Slots: 1st: 4/0, 2nd: 2/0 | InspX | Languages: Common, Draconic | Conditions: 

Jonas listens to the young man, Darrett, as he directs them around the keep to their quarters. He takes a moment to appreciate the grandeur that the huge room once presented, then got to work.

With a nod to Andir, he moves a screen towards one wall, facing a brazier to catch what little heat and light it produced. Another screen follows with Andir's help, and soon there is a small alcove with room for three cots. He looks to the others.

"Er, I thought maybe to set up one area for the men, and another for the women?"

He continues to move cots into the space. A few might note that the threadbare cots are looking better when in place, and the area seems less dusty. Once the furniture is in place, he places his kit on one cot, then removes his items one by one, placing them in an orderly fashion near his 'bunk.'

Satisfied with the arrangement, he will look over to the women, to see if they need any assistance.

OOC

Jonas uses his Mending and Prestidigitation cantrips to whip the area into better shape.

Better Living Through Cantrips is one of his favorite tomes.