spacer.png Name | Mercia "Mercy" Cannon

Refresh | 3

High Concept | Spoiled Princess of Paints

Trouble | Never Truly Been Challenged

Aspect III | Popular Girl Raised to Excel At Everything

Aspect IV | We Can Be Friends As Long As I Win

Aspect V | Only Rivaled by Elaine

Description

Mercy is always dressed in the most expensive clothes on the market, with fashion tips she bought. Her look is always on point, making her the center of attention no matter the setting. Mercy knows she is "objectively" attractive and flaunts it to get her way. Her golden blonde hair has natural curls which are accentuated and teased until intimidatingly large.

Mercy's piercing blue eyes strike through any conversation to get to the heart of the matter--usually at the cost of being somehow rude.

To go along with Mercy's big attitude is her tone frame from a lifetime of yoga, taekwondo, and running. She's got an awful lot of fight in her that just needs directed.

Mostly, Mercy just likes to express herself through art. She's got skill--hopefully enough to one day make a wage on. For now, she flaunts her ability in everyone's face. Deep down, her art does come from a place of peace.

Backstory

Short Writing Sample

"Tch, you're joking, right?" Mercy asked rhetorically with a click of her tongue. "No one can beat me. But I'll still give you the chance to humiliate yourself. I'm generous like that."

The blonde twirled a lock of curls around her finger as Matt Denari choked. He seemed to not know how to respond, just blinking her awkwardly.

"Ugh come on, Matt! Are you in or not? Buy-in is twenty bucks." Mercy stared at the freshman with her arms crossed under her chest. October started heckling him and giggling overly loud.

"What-ever. Hit me up later if you find your balls okies?" she added with a gesture of her hand closing. As she turned a sigh escaped her lips. "Gawd I hate freshmen. Especially the ones that don't remember me from middle school. C'mon girls, I'm feeling a milkshake."

Great (+4) | {Artistry}

Good (+3) | {Impulse} {Fracas}

Fair (+2) | {Judgement} {Guile} {Vex}

Average (+1) | {Discipline} {Body} {Network} {Prestige}

Physical Stress | [1] [1] [1]

Social Stress | [1] [1] [1]

Mild Consequence | -

Moderate Consequence | -

Severe Consequence | -

Stunts

Runner's Focus

You can use Impulse in place of Body rolls involved with endurance.

My Dad Bought Your Museum

When making Prestige rolls involved with paint or paintings, roll with Artistry instead.

A Real Rembrandt

When making Artistry rolls focused around oil paints, add +2.

Extras

Annelie Bauers

Superstitious, Vaguely Philosophical Moral Compass

Notorious Overthinker

+4 | {Judgement}
+3 | {Lore}
+2 | {Charm}
+1 | {Occult}

The Vizier

Without rolling, you can tell if another character is lying so long as the target’s Guile is equal to or lower than your Judgement. In the case of high Guile, you will know that you cannot tell, but will never receive a “false positive.”

October Adore

Fearless, Passionate Agent of Chaos

All the Best People Are Crazy

+4 | {Prowl}
+3 | {Trigger}
+2 | {Vigilance}
+1 | {Crime}

Improvised Trigger

Once per Scenario, you may use Trigger in place of Handicraft to fashion a suitable ranged weapon out of the parts available to you - even junk.

Personal Equipment & Gear
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?

Note: List here any equipment your character reasonably has that will be narratively relevant to the story. This should include any gear they commonly use to accomplish their goals, and weapons without WR they use to fight with. Also anything with personal significance to them. Don't worry about being super-complete, you can have everyday items that most people have. Phone, keys, wallet, handbag, laptop, etc. You don't need to include your ride here.

Okay, @Rune Knight here's my first attempt at getting a feel for Mercy. Not sure how much you wanted private beyond the background? I want to solidify the build before I give a writing sample. Gives me a little more time to nail down what I want for her character. Maybe a bit of Thea Queen from Arrow Season 1?

I don't remember quite all the rules involved with creating Stunts, so those may not be viable.

Great job! :) I see you added in, shuffled around and reworded the Aspects, but they all still work really well together, which is awesome.

You should only need to keep the backstory private, since that's the core of the character and would be an interesting mystery to discover about Mercy in a hypothetical campaign. Your writing sample doesn't need to be very long - just a few paragraphs - so even if it's set in the past it shouldn't end up revealing too much.

I do have two small critiques so far, though. First, the character image is great, but it doesn't match the art style that we've ended up going with for all the other characters I'm afraid: would you mind looking for a more anime-style character image instead?

Secondly, most of your Stunts are good, but that last one doesn't really sit right with me. Rather than just a flat +1 bonus with no flair, I'd suggest following the formula of granting a +2 bonus under a specific circumstance. That way, the Stunt has flair and style, emphasizing some unique way that Mercy does her art.

I haven't watched Arrow in a long, long time, but I remember Season 1 being pretty decent, so I feel confident in where your inspiration is coming from. ;)

Okay glad you like most of what I've got. That last aspect was just bugging me with how wordy it was so all i did was shorten it.

I knew that last stunt wasn't right but i was tired and just wanted to hit save lol. I'll figure something else out.

I didn't realize we were going anime (i suspected from the skill list). I probably should've looked at other characters. I'll see if i can find something similar. Not sure I'll be able too find pics for O and A considering their specific preferences but I'll see what i can do.

Glad to see this all coming along at a steady pace! :) I didn't realize you'd wanted images for Annelie and October, otherwise I might have gone for a less unique hairstyle for October.

If you're not averse to AI for the purposes of concept art, I can try and generate something for both of them. Otherwise, don't worry about matching October's hairstyle exactly: you'll probably find it impossible to do so.

Also, just so we're on the same page, I was thinking that I would be roleplaying Mercy's friends; that way we can bounce off of each other, rather than you having to play all three and keep that interesting yourself.

Not that you wouldn't be able to post as October or Annelie, just that I'd be the primary person responsible for what they say and some ways they act.

You would still have control over how they act mechanically, in this scenario: like I said, all of their skills and Stunts are available for you to tag them in with.

Let me know if you had other plans. I would be willing to explore another method.

Edited by Rune Knight (see edit history)

Oh cool. I had asked for so much detail on them because i thought I'd need to run all three at once. Good to hear that's not the case! (I may include some quick snipes or reactions from them during a large post tho). I appreciate having more people to bounce off!

I'll try to get the writing sample done in the next few hours. Sloooooow day at work. Heck of a day to wear something tight and revealing for tips when there's barely anyone here...

Oh I'll also try thinking of something better for that final stunt. I initially thought about something like getting a bonus if she leans on another type of painting style for the same piece? Like she tries to blend everything she knows into a single piece? I dunno just talking out loud here.

Nice! :) Now that you have a High Concept, a Trouble and a Writing Sample, your application is complete: I like what I see, so allow me to extend an offer to join us.

We're about halfway through this scene now; once all the characters converge in the History Club room, they'll have a short discussion, then we'll be ready to move on. Until then, you'll be able to chat with us in the Discord. ;)

Oh, and you mentioned a possible change to that Stunt as well. What you've described does give it flair, but it will need a limiter, otherwise it could apply every time Mercy paints. I'm thinking once per Scenario? Either that, or we could have the bonus be dependent on whether everyone else at the table agrees that it's a great blend of two art styles.