The Tavern

paula36

Would using the fixed legendary medium without hot-swapping make Jonnar's build valid? I was meaning to ask about keeping spells from the archmage/hierophant as psychic spells anyway.

On campaign vibe, I definitely noticed how many of the occult classes had abilities that work well in horror/mystery type campaigns. I wanted to go Medium because that felt the richest for RP, talking directly with all sorts of haunts, legends, recent dead, etc. Jonnar would be a member of the Covenant of Mists, part of a faction (working title- Covenant of the Seal) which not only prepares for the Coming, but actively works to delay it by questing to find and resolve haunts, even acting to prevent their formation. This faction believes every haunt is a small breach between the material and the spirit world- and when small breaches are not sealed, the whole fabric dividing the realities might tear asunder.

To a lesser degree, they believe that lingering spirits are living breaches, and that irresponsible uses of occult practice widen the breach.

That post about using psychic spells only wasn't targeted at anyone specifically. Or maybe at myself. 😐 At our gaming table and with pbp attempts I had this phenomenon that people flash-mob me with all kinds of mechanical power abilities and I'm stressed by this.

I'd like everyone to think of a character concept first, and pick mechanics for that concept -- and maybe avoid optimizing mechanical efficiency in favor of narrative choice and style. I won't try to kill the character, there's no need for maximum survivability. We're not going to play against each other.

Would it be fine to take the devoted medium archetype, which removes the ability to hot-swap spirits anyway?

That's basically a quadruple gestalt to start with (martial + medium + spirit1 + spirit2), upgrading to quintuple gestalt at level 10 (+spirit3). I see how it's useful, but I don't want to allow it in general, and also don't want to make exceptions, so I'll say no.

Would using the fixed legendary medium without hot-swapping make Jonnar's build valid? I was meaning to ask about keeping spells from the archmage/hierophant as psychic spells anyway.

Yeah, that's fine.

On campaign vibe, I definitely noticed how many of the occult classes had abilities that work well in horror/mystery type campaigns. I wanted to go Medium because that felt the richest for RP, talking directly with all sorts of haunts, legends, recent dead, etc. Jonnar would be a member of the Covenant of Mists, part of a faction (working title- Covenant of the Seal) which not only prepares for the Coming, but actively works to delay it by questing to find and resolve haunts, even acting to prevent their formation. This faction believes every haunt is a small breach between the material and the spirit world- and when small breaches are not sealed, the whole fabric dividing the realities might tear asunder.

To a lesser degree, they believe that lingering spirits are living breaches, and that irresponsible uses of occult practice widen the breach.

I like that very much.

2 hours ago, paula36 said:

I decided to switch off advertising, but anyone who's posted so far is part of the process, so go ahead and complete your characters.

I think I'll already have a hard time choosing one character 🙂

When do you think you'll have an idea of who you are going with? Also, you mentioned on boarding one or two more people. Would that be after you start with your solo player or will you decide that before hand?

5 hours ago, paula36 said:

I decided to switch off advertising, but anyone who's posted so far is part of the process, so go ahead and complete your characters.

If other PCs are introduced later, I might be interested to apply, FYI.

I was watching, but don't have the time to dive into Occult classes right now (I only know the Mesmerist well), on top of solo play generally not being my favourite.

I'll choose one character first, maybe one or two more later, if they're different enough.

You're talking about this, and it may be misleading now that I read it, but I meant one or two more single-player games, if I like more than one characters very much. Different stories, with different setting details, as separate single-player games. And with a big 'maybe'.

When do you think you'll have an idea of who you are going with?

When the three characters are declared finished, or January 2, whichever happens first.

Also what is the cosmology situation in the world? Do people generally have a patron deity?

I'm planning to discuss these kinds of details with the player when starting a specific game. Mostly up to you, provided the answer does not contradict what's already stated in the setting page.

Ok, there's no point in putting off the decision, no matter how many days pass it won't get easier.

I can't point out any character that I don't like and easy to discard, and the background stories are all very intriguing. In the end, my decision was based upon starting to write down ideas for each PC and seeing which idea batch attracted me the most, and this way I chose Cyrus.

Looking forward to your story, @Penchant, and I hope I'll have the time for the other characters in the future.

• 2 weeks later...