The Road Less Travelled

Sorithar

Morn and Bochs met the other night in the taproom of The Stony Well, a somber, smoke filled alehouse carved into the wall of the small gorge that houses the hamlet of Glen. Glen is an oddity of sorts in the Dalelands, and Mistledale in particular, as a hamlet of primarily dwarves, few of whom work the lands around the hamlet. Why Morn and Bochs found themselves in The Stony Well, well, you'd have to ask them, but they did and they got on, united by interest in the troubles plaguing the peaceful land of Mistledale of late, raiding brigands who strike on moonlit nights and then retreat under cover of darkness.

Though efforts have been made by the Riders, chasing marauding brigands over the fields and hedgerows of Mistledale has proved futile so far, but rumors, or perhaps fanciful spinning, have it that the brigands might be using the abandoned keep of Galath's Roost, an infamous ruin a few leagues east of Glen, as a base for their raids. Mistledale militia sent to investigate the site have found a few monsters but no signs of habitation. Nevertheless, raids in the northeast end of the dale have been heavy, and the company of militia most recently sent to watch the keep through the night seems to have vanished without a trace!

Some of the chatty patrons of The Stony Well were not so sure brigands are to blame for the strange doings at Galath's Roost. Until recently, brigand raids were generally sporadic, and most of them took place not only on moonless nights but also always within half a night's march of the forest's edge. The most recent spurt of raids seem to occur more often, and on moonlit nights most of all. Furthermore, at least some of the raiders seem to be mounted. Galath's Roost has long been rumored to be haunted by ghosts of long-dead bandits. Perhaps the ghosts of Galath's band have awakened to raid again!?

In any case, a great treasure is reputed to lie hidden in or below Galath's Roost, and that is enough to get any young, restless mind's attention. If that weren't enough, there is mayhap coin to be made at the keep! The Rider's in Ashabenford have offered a bounty of 100 gp for any raider captured alive and 25 gp for a dead raider (but only if the bounty hunter can prove the slain person was a raider).

Moreover, a small band of folk fancying themselves "adventurers" from the "big town" of Ashabenford recently came through town chatting about the Roost and heading there shortly after. Perhaps there is adventure to be had and a mystery to be solved..?

All of this has led Morn and Bochs to find themselves this early morn on a well worn trail on an overgrown path that leads some miles, deep under the canopy of Cormanthor to the clearing where ruins of Galath's Roost are said to sit. Perhaps they can catch that adventuring band before they move on and appeal to them to join their ranks...

(A pregame thread for Morn and Bochs to get to know each other, stretch their RP muscles and pass the time until the DM can thrown them into the ongoing adventure.)

Edited by Sorithar (see edit history)

image.png.e706de1eaff57126fe82b616fdc66378.pngMorn Tallstag, Human Bard
AC: 15 HP: 7/7

Boch first encounters Morn as he is earning a few extra coins playing his lute and singing at the inn. He soon learns Morn is a young hayseed from the little settlement of Elven Crossing. He's the sort of human kid fixated on stories about adventure and derring-do, though he surely knows more about mowing hay and milking cows than using the sword at his waist. He's short and thin enough that one might suspect he has halfling blood in his line. His weapons and leather armor look old but carefully maintained. He has a very careful way of speaking that is not entirely successful at covering up his natural country brogue. Despite not seeming like an adventurer in the making, it soon becomes clear that iron determination is this kid's greatest asset.

He is very intent on discovering the goings-on at Galath's Roost the moment he hears of the troubles in the area. He sets out in the morning with Boch, having spent his last few coins on supplies for the way. But perhaps he already knows something about their destination?

OOC

Knowledge Rolls Incoming

Edited by Chaz Hoosier (see edit history)
Name
Knowledge: Local
1d20+6 8
Knowledge: History
1d20+6 7
Bardic Knowledge
1d20+3 18

image.png.6f1637a5101433b257fc52a908bcfe0d.png.408e07caae4041a95641c8c1ad91a61d.png

Bochs (BlackHammer)

Shield Dwarf, Paladin

"I saw you up early, I see. Singing for your breakfast?" asked Bochs as his pony trotted down the trail next to Morn. The Dwarf looked so much like a typical Dwarf, but also didn't. His clothing and gear were meticulously clean, and his beard and hair were immaculate. His gleaming breastplate reflected the sunlight as did the small holy symbol around his neck. Hanging from his saddle was a heavy crossbow and a light axe. Secured in his back sheath was an antique styled warhammer. Turning back to the young Human, Bochs smiled. "We are here. Galath's Roost..." he waved his hand encompassing some of the ruins. "Hopefully, that company is close..."

OOC

OOC stuff

AppearanceMeet Bochs, the Shield dwarf with a name as strong as his spirit. Standing slightly taller than his peers, he commands attention with his well-muscled physique and meticulously maintained beard, armor, and equipment. A captivating detail that catches the eye is the small, glimmering adamantium medallion adorning his neck, proudly displaying the symbol of Moradin. This precious relic holds immense sentimental value, as it was one of the two items Bochs received after the tragic loss of his parents during a perilous trade mission fromthe Glen. The second item, a remarkable dwarven Warhammer, is a cherished family heirloom passed down from his father. Bochs carries these tokens with him, a testament to his resilience and unwavering determination.

Edited by JagrHunter (see edit history)

Morn Tallstag

image.png.9a00bffda4484b6d0b4510773b6259e4.pngMorn Tallstag, Human Bard

Morn nods to the dwarf as he wraps up his set and peers at the coins he's collected. "Heh, well. It's a living. But getting some of that reward money wouldn't be bad neither."

He trudges along underneath the weight of his gear. He’s well prepared but awfully scrawny. He takes a keen interest in Bochs' experience as a paladin and anything he has to say about the history of his clan. He also tries out his knowledge of the dwarven language on him, which he feels quite confident in speaking despite a truly impenetrable accent and only a rudimentary grasp of its grammar.

As they get closer to the ruins, Morn relates tales about their destination. “Gosh, everyone in Mistledale knows stories of Galath’s Roost. Everyone stays miles away, but you can see the ruins off in the distance if you stand on a tall hill. There are rumors that either the Church of Cyric or Loviatar or Cult of the Dragon would like very much to take control of the place. It will be awfully crowded when we arrive if even half the tales are true.”

“It’s certainly a fateful kind of place though. I think it must have been a strategic outpost for the elven kingdom that ruled this region in ancient history. Perhaps that’s the origin of the stories about portals in the deepest crypts. But the ruins as we know them today were built by Galath the Bandit King—he was some thug that got rich enough shaking down passing merchants to build himself a castle. The Sembians sorted him right out and they say the ruins are haunted by bandit ghosts to this day.” He looks thoughtful for a moment. “Or is it ghost bandits?”

He seems to think of something that he thinks is rather exciting. “But what is really neat is that the Harpers took the place over during the Time of Troubles. You think we’ll meet some real Harpers while we’re out there? The Zhents sent an army down to claim the keep, but the Harpers saw them coming a mile off and filled the place with hundreds of traps—more than anyone could count. If these adventurers we’re after aren't careful they could spring one of the leftover traps on themselves, and they aren’t the gentle sort of traps either!”

OOC

Morn Tallstag

Morn quirks an eyebrow when Bochs announces their arrival at Galath's Roost. "...but I'm sure this is just some old logging camp! Galath's Roost is a ways to go yet." He peeks curiously in the tumbledown shack Bochs spotted before they get back on the road. "Where are you from then? If you don't mind me asking that is--I've never even been away from Mistledale!"

OOC

image.png.6f1637a5101433b257fc52a908bcfe0d.png.408e07caae4041a95641c8c1ad91a61d.png

Bochs (BlackHammer)

AC: 18 HP:12

Shield Dwarf, Paladin

The young dwarf had never been accused of being overly smart, as a matter of fact there was rumor that his name came from the old wife's saying..."dumber than a box of..." What young Boch did have was a keen common sense which more than made up for his lack of book learning. He was always very approachable, accomadating and sometimes very funny. Regardless as the Dwarf scratched himself under his chin a little self-consciously. "I was sure this was the outskirts when I saw the ruins start. Very well. We just have more good travel company ahead of us, then." He guided his pony back onto the trail he turned to the young bard. "I am from Glen. My Ma' and Da' plied the trade routes hereabouts . People always needing stuff from our forges and such

OOC

OOC stuff

AppearanceMeet Bochs, the Shield dwarf with a name as strong as his spirit. Standing slightly taller than his peers, he commands attention with his well-muscled physique and meticulously maintained beard, armor, and equipment. A captivating detail that catches the eye is the small, glimmering adamantium medallion adorning his neck, proudly displaying the symbol of Moradin. This precious relic holds immense sentimental value, as it was one of the two items Bochs received after the tragic loss of his parents during a perilous trade mission fromthe Glen. The second item, a remarkable dwarven Warhammer, is a cherished family heirloom passed down from his father. Bochs carries these tokens with him, a testament to his resilience and unwavering determination.

Edited by JagrHunter
removed underdark reference (see edit history)

Morn Tallstag

"Surely I met your parents back in Glen then? I was in town because I heard rumors of doings at the Roost. No one ever made a name for themselves staying away from excitement, did they?" He glances at Bochs' armor holy symbol. "So how did you get into being a paladin?"

OOC

Bochs

Bochs (pronounced "Box")(BlackHammer)

Shield Dwarf, Paladin

"Perhaps." nodded the dwarf. "They dinna cater to humans as much the Dwarven markets. But you could've seen some of their 'wares." When he sees the bard glance and ask about his symbol, he immediately brightened up even more. "The All-Hammer himself called me. He saw how listless I was and sent me to the Temple of Moradin in Glen. I have served him ever since, without any regret."

OOC

OOC stuff

Edited by JagrHunter (see edit history)

Morn Tallstag

Alas, it can't be said that Morn shows any particular sign of devotion to the gods besides the transactional piety of people who make the occasional offering in exchange for a little extra luck. "Hmm, I can't say the gods have ever called to me, and it wasn't for want of temple services when I was little. So you must have something worth the visit in your soul. Well! Having Moradin on our side for this quest of ours certainly can't hurt. From what I hear, bandits have caused a heap of trouble in these parts. I hope they haven't bothered Glen yet?"

OOC

Shield Dwarf, Paladin

"Glen watches themselves mostly. Glen itself has little above ground to entice brigands."  He chuckled a little before continuing   "I do know that the reality of these ruffians lies somewhere between the truth and exaggeration. I think at the end of the day the All-hammer will provide us with the answers we need, and we will be able to rid the countryside of them once and for all."

Morn Tallstag

"Haw, assuming this crew we've heard of hasn't taken all the bandits for themselves, eh?" He peers out into the trees as the walk, wondering if there is anything out there, though it seems he is very preoccupied with imagining the treasure they have in store once they explore the keep.

OOC

Perception rolls incoming...

Name
Spot
1d20 1
Listen
1d20 4

Morn Tallstag

As they walk along Morn fills Bochs in on everything he never knew about the little village of Elven Crossing he grew up in, from the tearoom built into two hollow trees where strange visitors from the forest can be found, to the great variety of mushrooms and wild herbs the locals gather at the forest's edge, to the oddball residents of the surrounding farms. The place sounds like one of those end-of-the-earth, out of the way places where humans store their most bizarre specimens.

It can be deduced that Morn is very reliable around his mother's little farm from the great number of chores he mentions. When he speaks of his father, one Zanven Tallstag, his tone changes to near pious awe, and his eyes go out to the distance as he imagines all the important things his revered father must have been doing out in the world during his childhood. Though, it must be said, as certain as Morn is that his father must have been away doing very heroic things, he doesn't seem to have a clear idea that those things are.

OOC

6th day of the 2nd Ride of Eleint, Year of the Banner

image.jpeg.125a25791c544fcd4ac1c15a083383e0.jpeg

Its been several hours of marching. The sun had warmed your faces as the miles wore on, a well worn trail led you some eight miles to the forest's edge and an overgrown path led you some seven miles more, deep under the canopy of Cormanthor.
After some hours following the twisting forest path, you emerge into a wide meadow dotted with individual trees. Ahead, you see a vast pile of splintered and vine-covered rock surrounded by a bramble-choked dry moat. Broken curtain walls, now not much higher than a human can reach, line the inner side of the moat. Several gaps, each as wide as a doorway, are visible from where you stand.
A causeway of dirt and rock leads right across the moat to an opening in the curtain wall where a gate might have once stood. The wrecks of stone towers, each only slightly taller than the remaining walls, flank the opening.

The path behind you forks here, the west fork of the path leads in the general direction of Glen from whence you came. The east fork leads north and east, possibly towards the Standing Stone.

You all look to one another. So this is the infamous Galath's Roost?

MAP

[For sake of clarity, any reference to cardinal directions in posts will assume that North is Top of Map as posted, unless a Compass Rose is visible.]

Edited by Sorithar (see edit history)

Morn Tallstag

"Well, here we are! I've seen this place from a distance so many times, but I've never walked up to it. I wonder if my buddies back home will believe I've been here!" Of course, the residents of Elven Crossing are acquainted enough with Morn to know he's exactly the sort to get it into his mind to go bothering ancient ruins. The young human, bold as brass, approaches the remains of the gate and peeks inside for any sign of the adventurers they are following. "I don't suppose that crew we're on about is milling around the courtyard, and we hardly blindly wander around dangerous catacombs hoping to bump into them, can we?"

OOC

Name
Listen
SyntaxError: Unexpected token nan
1d20nan
Listen
1d20 18
Spot
1d20 18

Shield Dwarf, Paladin

"Not at all what I expected."  He chuckled a little before continuing   "I say we set up camp and see if our fellow travelers return. If they don't then we can plan our next move from there."

Appearance