Failed to retrieve sheet list

Basically title; whenever I open Sheets it presents me with this error and I am unable to create new sheets.
Tried different browsers, clearing cache, the works.

Probably relevant: I'm logging on after several years of not having done so.

image.png

It's roughly 1:30a ET on Monday morning, so maybe this is part of a maintenance window 🤷‍♂️, but just in case...

I'm getting the same errors trying to save a sheet.  Different message this time from my previous reports.  Clicking Save resulted in a pretty pink box with this text:
> Sheet NOT saved!
> Your changes will persist on this page until it is closed or you are able to save.

Of course, trying multiple times over the course of 10-15 minutes still hasn't allowed the save to succeed.  I tried opening a different tab and visiting the Sheets page.  I got the same error message as the OP:
> There was an unexpected error loading your sheets: Failed to retrieve sheet list.

That error was an alert() in the browser, while the first was a CSS styled popup.

I'll leave the tabs sitting and revisit them again in the morning.  Note that the second error didn't report a credentials issue, though, so maybe that wasn't what the issue was for the first one...

7 hours ago, azhrei_fje said:

It's roughly 1:30a ET on Monday morning, so maybe this is part of a maintenance window 🤷‍♂️, but just in case...

I'm getting the same errors trying to save a sheet.  Different message this time from my previous reports.  Clicking Save resulted in a pretty pink box with this text:
> Sheet NOT saved!
> Your changes will persist on this page until it is closed or you are able to save.

Of course, trying multiple times over the course of 10-15 minutes still hasn't allowed the save to succeed.  I tried opening a different tab and visiting the Sheets page.  I got the same error message as the OP:
> There was an unexpected error loading your sheets: Failed to retrieve sheet list.

That error was an alert() in the browser, while the first was a CSS styled popup.

I'll leave the tabs sitting and revisit them again in the morning.  Note that the second error didn't report a credentials issue, though, so maybe that wasn't what the issue was for the first one...

Thanks for not killing the tabs, as that will probably give us some useful diagnostic information in the Javascript console (F12 or command-option-C depending on browser/OS). This is definitely a different issue than the OP if you are able to get into your sheets other times. How long was the sheet tab open before the save error?

I think the problem may have been related to putting my laptop to sleep. Just now, I opened up my laptop and the page couldn't be saved again. I'll play with it some more to see if I can replicate it on-demand. I haven't seen anything relevant in the JS console, but I'll keep an eye on that as well.

Btw, this is with Safari on the latest macOS. When I do my testing, I'll open the page with FFox too to see if it happens on both.

Interesting. You may be on to something--there is a keepalive function for the sheet token, and I assume that it won't be kept alive when the laptop is sleeping--or the browser puts the tab to sleep.

I'm not sure what's different now, but opening a second tab worked today! 😃

I closed the laptop last night and opened it just now. The sheet wouldn't save. So I Cmd-clicked on the character name (Safari on macOS) in the page header and the same page opened in a new tab. Now, the original page will save. Unfortunately, I messed up my FFox test, but I expect it would've succeeded as well. I'll replicate it tonight.