Chapter I - Act I: A Shitty Start

Shuistliel

Patting his breast pocket, Shuistliel pops out of the door to talk to Stan. "How are you, Stan?," the Vislae asks, exchanging pleasantries for a moment. "Can I get a pair or two of tin snips from you? We may need to cut thick webs later on today." Liel has a dim memory of using such a tool to cut sheet metal, but there's no sheet metal in the Bastion. Must be a Shadow memory, he thought, trying to shake it off. His memories from Shadow were a variance from his memories in the real world, and he knew how they varied and why, and even after living in Indigo for months, he still didn't know quite how to deal with it.

Character Arcs

Develop a Bond: Shuistliel realizes he has too few friends, and would like to expand his circle of true friends.

Description

Shuistliel is a very handsome man with long silver hair and green eyes the color of fine emeralds. He is dressed as he usually is, in a nice suit, jacket, and pants, and he has his usual snake-headed cane along. He moves quite agilely, like a dancer, perhaps. What's unusual this morning is the black survival combat axe carried in one hand while the cane is tucked under an arm. He is using the blade along the curved back of the axe -- which is apparently quite sharp -- to sever webs, but he's carefully avoiding severing certain ones. (Those who know anything about spider webs know that these are the radial ones used to detect prey, rather than the axial ones that trap prey.)

Pools

Certes

Accuracy: 3/3

Movement: 3/3

Physicality: 2/2

Perception: 3/3

Qualia

Sorcery: 4/4

Interaction: 3/3

Intellect: 3/3

Sortilege: 3/3

Hidden Knowledge: 10

Injuries:

Wounds:

Anguish:

Rests: 1 round, 1 round, 10 minutes, 1 hour

Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)

Felicia Ainsworth

"It's... complicated, we'll say but Snake-friend is a branch of the family. As for Spider-friend, I can't speak to if she is or not."

The pause was meaningful all on its own but she wasn’t sure if the Raven, clever as it no doubt was, might parse out the meaning of a deliberate silence. It was a sore point, if nothing else, for the fact that it seemed to complicate so much of her life. She was hardly alone, she had Jerica and Satin but there was something to be said for the bonds of blood and the mystery all it’s own was a maddening thing. Was there some tragedy she was missing? Some connection to what she’d inflicted upon herself in the myriad forms of the Chorus? Was the truth of that why they might wish her all to themselves? Too many questions and too much distraction in the instant as the voices grew louder for just a moment. Those within sensing pain and weakness and those without calling for pain and murder with beak and talon. Reflexively, her hand curled inward upon itself as nails bit into flesh and sent the familiar jolt up her spine. 
There wasn’t much time for any kind of thinking as she raised her voice and switched to the more natural sounds and lexicons of a woman of her standing and pedigree.

“Sorry to intrude but the Unkindness is on the hunt for ‘spider-friends’ to peck and eat!”

It really wasn’t much of a warning but the picture was aggravatingly incomplete as she returned her attention to the Raven before her with a resolute and sincere expression as she took up the crows and caws of the Raven's tongue once more.

“I want to be a Raven-friend, so shall we get your other friend out of that tree and go inside so I can take away the wing-pain?” 

She didn’t want to run afoul of the Unkindness nor the Brood of Arachnids responsible for this whole mess but without knowing who was the wronged party in one direction or another… She could only really help the victims she could perceive as such. Simple truths always lead to complex ones, anyway. Much like the mechanisms of a music box or clock beginning with the humble gear and ending with the capturing of music and time in brass, silver, and gold. 

Character Arcs

• Establishment - Current Step: The Need for Proof

Description

Description

It's the eyes, really, that most fixate upon first. The hues of crimson and gold spinning, twisting, merging in their depths as they seem to give a clear window into the utter depths of Felicia's mind with their uniquely expressive quality. That there feels to be a thousand, a hundred thousand, pairs of eyes staring back from behind those initial windows to the soul only seems to cement the impression of something troublesome, something worrying to compliment the elfin quality of her sharp features and diminutive frame. That sensation of malice, of gleeful cruelty, welling up from somewhere in those depths even as she comports herself with nothing but cheerful, if stoic, mannerisms and inexhaustible impressions of attention to the minute aesthetics of every gesture, motion, and twist of both herself and the world around her.

In matters of garb, she tends to play to the company she plans for with blouses, dresses, and pants of riotous colors among the bohemian communes of Fartown to the carefully coordinated yet still somehow esoteric gowns and suits of high society galas and soirees. Each and every ensemble meticulously planned and coordinated like one of the great works of her brushes. The only break from this carefully crafted aesthetic seems to be her hair, pale and bloodless as her complexion. It's length healthy, glossy, and well tended but cursed with creative differences in how it curls and falls. Despite this, it seems always to blend, practically meld, seamlessly into any trim of fur or feather that might adorn a chosen outfit.

Like those glimpses of alien malice and cruelty in the depths of her eyes, there always seems to be a discordant element that shadows her. Whether it be a flicker of something other in the crimson depths of her eyes, the way her shadow seems to twitch and twist without her ever moving, or how her reflection never quite seems to be her... It becomes all too clear that her body and soul might be host to something besides merely the artist... Worse still is the careful and delicate work of brush and needle; whisking away bruises here, deep scratches or cuts there, all damning evidence of struggles with the self.

In the Guise of Immanis

The energies of the Abyss are, by its very nature, an instrument of the Dark and unkind as a rule to the essential fabric of whatever is and may be. It is only by the tempering elements of the Gold Sun that the taking in of such hostile energies is more than merely an elaborate form of suicide. The raw stresses of this are quite evident then when Madame Ainsworth invokes so terrible a spell. Her already pale skin grows to be a lifeless gray, gaining an unseemly translucence that is easily pierced by even the wane light of Fartown beneath the Indigo Sun. The lines and forms of every bone visible from just the right angles as they shatter, stretch, and mend with an agonizing rapidity to drag her up to a daunting height. Sinew, muscle and tendon all the while snapping, recoiling, and reforming to accommodate this new and predatory bearing. Veins and arteries, in kind, flow with noxious black as the corruptive energies swirl and take root, her eyes draining of that distinct crimson and gold hue leaving only a single prick of light nearly drowned in a sea of impenetrable black.

Were that these the extent of the horrors wrought by the invoking of the Eye of Immanis for one can't help but stare as razor-like teeth push aside whatever may block their way, twisting and gnarling the line of gum and tooth to pierce and part the flesh of the cheek revealing a hideous, too broad maw. A likewise change playing out in the hands as bones shatter and twist as tendons and sinew reinforce to accommodate the agonizingly slow-yet-quick emergence of seven inch talons, black as jet, that now adorn each finger tip. This final change marking the ultimate perversion, turning tools of creation to tools of abject and potent destruction.

Pools

Certes

Physicality: 2/3

Perception: 4/4

Qualia

Sorcery: 6/6

Intellect: 2/3

Sortilege: 1/2

Hidden Knowledge: 9

Injuries:

Wounds:

Anguish:

Cat.PNG.aac4e9578d60e4cd521bfc31d0015f40.PNG

Sooth Deck: The Cat

Effects: None

Divination: "One sometimes must act alone to succeed. Curiosity and cleverness can be virtues, but be wary of taking them too far. A challenge may arise that involves both mental and physical dexterity."

The bird at her feet took a few hobbling steps towards her, beating at its wings experimentally and looking her up and down.

"Climb-up."

It barked, evidently terrified of being left behind. It's flat grey eyes were wild, trying to look in too many places at once. It simply wasn't equipped to be stuck on the ground, and was clearly in a fair amount of distress over the issue.

The croaking and squawking on the other side of the hedge manifested into the clear tones of Felicia Ainsworth calling out. Yet her words triggered a great rebuttal from the unkindness on high, a cacophony of objections from dozens of throats. Save they had already been building in their irritation and intensity long before she had called out, but the change had been enough that it had been difficult to discern at first. They'd been calling to one another since the dawn light had first split the horizon, the change in intensity had taken a moment to register for those who hadn't wrapped themselves in magic to understand the tongue. For Felicia, it was very clear, something had upset them. As the flock began to descend, she might have been relieved to discern that it wasn't her. The unkindness appeared to be centering their discontent on Ma'am and Aldrion, and she heard them hurl more than a few two worded obscenities in their direction.

Aldrion didn't need to know the Secret of speaking to Ravens to guess that they were upset, he could see the unkindness gather above him, see them begin to circle and swarm. With each second, the flock grew denser, dozens if not hundreds of grey and black eyes locked upon him and the Maker. Or were they? For where he was crouched, he was able gain some insight into the desires of at least one of the creatures he was observing. Not the swarm of birds above, but the two Spiders below. As the unkindness grew louder, he saw their front legs wavering back and forth in agitation, saw them seek to retreat deeper into the webs that they had woven. He wasn't who the Spiders feared, and he wasn't who the Ravens hated. He was just caught in the middle of a conflict between the two sides, and at risk of choosing one.

Stannis the Tinker took a moment to ponder the question, as he did most questions. His stained fingers tapped out a rhythm on the wooden handles of the broad cart he pulled behind him, an unknown song that he frequently hummed tunelessly as she worked. His brow was furrowed, crow's feet making their usual appearance, as he took his time with his reply.

"Business has been good, so I can't complain."

He shook his coat out, a cascade of dew showering off of him, though most of the spider web remained.

"Tin is no good for this sort of work, you want copper coated steel if you need something enduring, or silver plated if you want something transitory. Which will it be for you today?"

Any who'd done business with Stan before knew those were his two favorite words, "enduring" and "transitory." They were classifications, in his mind, a holy order of sorts. Enduring work was the trade of his craft, forging alloys within his crucible, pouring the liquid metal into a die cast mould, creating tangible objects that would last for years. It was laborious work, fascinating because he did it right there, his crucible ever burning where it sat on his cart. Transitory work was just that, a flash of Silver Magic, and that which was desired made manifest. The tools created with his gifts were implements of perfection, enabling their users to aspire to heights of craft hereto unknown, at least until the sun next set. Then they were gone, as if they had never been, little more but a memory. No matter the choice, the price was usually the same. In this case, a single crystal orb.

He paused again, thought this time it was distraction, his gaze focusing three houses down. It was as if a great weight was pressing down on the unkindness from above, forcing them slowly into a spear point. A giant arrow of black wings in the sky, pointing squarely at the old carriage house that they all knew belonged to Ma'am.

Xanah

Xanah followed close behind Shuistliel. She stepped where he stepped, waited patiently for him to clear out webbing with his tools as they picked their way meticulously down the street towards Stan the Tinker. Along the way she guarded her coffee like a woman protecting her child. Ill-prepared for this webbing as she was, she was lucky her colleague had happened along when he did.

Going to Stan, however, provided an opportunity to rectify things a bit. "While we're here..." she began softly, "Stannis, darling, do you have a pole or a length of something sturdy I can buy from you? Even a broom would do. I need a little something to clear the cobwebs while I walk out here."

Character Arcs

Join an Organization

As an arachnophile, I'm being groomed to join the Cacophony, an association of spiders whose name only really makes sense to spiders. They seek to establish diplomatic ties with the Angular Serpentine.

• Current StepThe decision to join
    • For now, I remain ignorant that I'm being considered for invitation.

Aid a Friend

Aldrion Phect wishes to rescue his spouse from Shadow, but first he must Uncover the Secret of how such a task might even be possible. I'm too closeted a romantic to tell him I can't resist helping somebody reunite with their loved one.

• Current StepAgreeing to help
    • I've agreed to help, but Aldrion and I haven't discussed it further.

Description

Appearance

Xanah and the possessions on her person lose color saturation in proportion to her amount of sunlight exposure. She's completely grayscale in broad daylight. She otherwise sports a head of medium-length red-brown hair, copper colored eyes, and a fair complexion. Xanah is of unremarkable height and build, a slim physique that belies a lifetime of overindulging. It's only her constantly moving workaholic ethic that keeps her in shape. Her clothing usually favors practicality and comfort, never one to indulge in fashionable fads. Ever conscientious of her habits, Xanah always smells faintly of cinnamon and spice.

Personality

• Lives on coffee, cigars, and favors.
  • Fiercely individualist to a fault.
  • A tarnished heart of gold.
  • Tendency to overindulge.
  • A patron of lost causes, shooter of troubles, slayer of dragons, walker of tightropes, and runner with scissors.
  • Banned from kitchens across the Actuality for abject culinary incompetence.
  • Never met a stranger before but carefully chooses close friendships
  • A closeted romantic, almost disgustingly so.
  • Her sharp tongue and compulsion to kick hornets' nests and turn over rocks makes many enemies. In her Order she's been demoted twice for it.

Occupation

Xanah describes herself as "creatively entrepreneurial," which is to say she doesn't actually have a traditional occupation. As previously mentioned, she lives off favors. These keep her constantly busy juggling a tangled web of commitments, investments, activism, and odd-jobs that she's perfectly satisfied living in the middle of. Income can be wildly inconsistent, but she's never been one to require much in the way of creature comforts. She's just as likely to blow a windfall on a hopeless cause as she is to devote it to a strategic endeavor. "Money," she says, "is just a means to an end, grease for the skids."

She toys with the idea of running for office but talks herself out of it, saying that nobody would vote for her anyway. Despite her modest self-assessment, the growing network of contacts she's been developing suggests she might get more support than she realizes.

Dichotomies

• Wealth or Fame - "It's all in who you know."
  • Friends or Family - "I don't make close friends easy, but the few I have are basically family."
  • Power or Control - "I'm the spider dead center in the web."
  • Introvert or Extrovert - "There's nothing I love more than good company."
  • Order or Chaos - "A little strategic chaos keeps the omnipotent busybodies from getting too comfortable."
  • Freedom or Safety - "'Live free or die trying', I say."
  • Society or the Individual - "Society is people. Make a difference for one and you make a different society."
  • Generosity or Greed - "You give a little to get a little. Sometimes, well...sometimes people need me to give a little more."
  • Moral code or Instinct - "Scruples are what separates man from the animals."
  • Ego or Id - "Can't honestly say I've ever been accused of temperance or self control."
  • Nature or Nurture - "Pro tip: Yes, it's your fault and you can do better."
  • Thought or Action - "I'm a make-it-up-as-you-go kind of gal."
  • Instinct or Knowledge - "My gut has never let me down about what the right thing to do is."
  • Charity or Self-sufficiency - "Everybody needs somebody sometime."
  • Home or the Road - "Give me a warm house and somebody to share it with on all the days that end in 'Y'."
  • Contentment or Challenge - "Look, I don't go crusading for lost causes. They seek me out. They know I"m easy."

Pools

Injuries: [ ] [ ] [ ] Wounds: [ ] [ ] [ ] Anguish: [ ] [ ] [ ]
CERTES QUALIA
Movement: 1/1
Sorcery: 5/5
Interaction: 4/4
Physicality: 3/3
Intelligence: 1/1
Hidden Knowledge: 12 Rests: 1 round, 1 round, 10 minutes, 1 hour

Shuistliel

It's clear that Stan didn't grasp what Liel was asking for. "Maybe they don't exist here," the Vancian mage said, "but what I'm describing are heavy metal shears—usually made of steel—with a fair degree of mechanical advantage, such as one might use to cut sheet metal tin. I didn't want shears made of tin. Tin snips will cut through nearly anything thin enough to fit between the blades." He shook off a memory of using tin snips to make some kind of anti-personnel wire; that was then, this is now.

While he waits for the tinker's answer, he glances about at the webs, the birds, and tries to take in any patterns or even better, intention to the way the webs drape all over the city.

Character Arcs

Develop a Bond: Shuistliel realizes he has too few friends, and would like to expand his circle of true friends.

Description

Shuistliel is a very handsome man with long silver hair and green eyes the color of fine emeralds. He is dressed as he usually is, in a nice suit, jacket, and pants, and he has his usual snake-headed cane along. He moves quite agilely, like a dancer, perhaps. What's unusual this morning is the black survival combat axe carried in one hand while the cane is tucked under an arm. He is using the blade along the curved back of the axe -- which is apparently quite sharp -- to sever webs, but he's carefully avoiding severing certain ones. (Those who know anything about spider webs know that these are the radial ones used to detect prey, rather than the axial ones that trap prey.)

Pools

Certes

Qualia

Injuries:

Wounds:

Anguish:

Edited by Gryphon173 (see edit history)

Felicia Ainsworth

Felicia could only hope that the pair on the other side of the gnarled and thorny hedge that surrounded the property heeded her warning because it was evidently clear that the Unkindness was of a unanimous and violent intent as it descended. A fact that only opened up more questions as to what had provoked any of this... What disagreement had spun so far out of control as to warrant open war on anyone with a hint of association? Evidently, harm had been done to the ravens but that still left the question as to why. All of this silk was just a waste of materials from the typically orderly and goal driven arachnids of the neighborhood... Let alone that it put the traditionally ambush predators into the front and center... Warning anyone and everyone that they were there in sufficient numbers as to just avoid them as a whole.

Some of the Chorus chose that moment to seize on the distraction represented by supposition with whispered theories and taunting suppositions all their own... and a means to wring the answer from the Raven before her. Such was met again with the same reiterated denial as she pushed to a kneel and held out a hand towards the Raven before her to hop and skip onto. She wasn't so worried about the talons of the poor bird against her skin, the pain had a way of bringing electrifying focus against the swarming voices of doubt, fear, and worse that swam through mind and soul.

"We'll stop to get your friend free of the tree and look to that wing-pain so you can rejoin the others." the pale maker offered in the crocks and caws of the Corvids with as best a smile as she might muster in the circumstances. Her crimson eyes darting upward occasionally towards the descending flock... If only to ensure that she wasn't the target of their ire as she worked to help their grounded and trapped kin. Let alone trying to guess if they were aiming for her fellow vislae or something else besides... All burdened by the insidious whisper of being told she was picking a side, tying herself to something without understanding the drive of the conflict. Embracing a change through kindness without knowing just where the road would take her.

Character Arcs

Description

Description

It's the eyes, really, that most fixate upon first. The hues of crimson and gold spinning, twisting, merging in their depths as they seem to give a clear window into the utter depths of Felicia's mind with their uniquely expressive quality. That there feels to be a thousand, a hundred thousand, pairs of eyes staring back from behind those initial windows to the soul only seems to cement the impression of something troublesome, something worrying to compliment the elfin quality of her sharp features and diminutive frame. That sensation of malice, of gleeful cruelty, welling up from somewhere in those depths even as she comports herself with nothing but cheerful, if stoic, mannerisms and inexhaustible impressions of attention to the minute aesthetics of every gesture, motion, and twist of both herself and the world around her.

In matters of garb, she tends to play to the company she plans for with blouses, dresses, and pants of riotous colors among the bohemian communes of Fartown to the carefully coordinated yet still somehow esoteric gowns and suits of high society galas and soirees. Each and every ensemble meticulously planned and coordinated like one of the great works of her brushes. The only break from this carefully crafted aesthetic seems to be her hair, pale and bloodless as her complexion. It's length healthy, glossy, and well tended but cursed with creative differences in how it curls and falls. Despite this, it seems always to blend, practically meld, seamlessly into any trim of fur or feather that might adorn a chosen outfit.

Like those glimpses of alien malice and cruelty in the depths of her eyes, there always seems to be a discordant element that shadows her. Whether it be a flicker of something other in the crimson depths of her eyes, the way her shadow seems to twitch and twist without her ever moving, or how her reflection never quite seems to be her... It becomes all too clear that her body and soul might be host to something besides merely the artist... Worse still is the careful and delicate work of brush and needle; whisking away bruises here, deep scratches or cuts there, all damning evidence of struggles with the self.

In the Guise of Immanis

The energies of the Abyss are, by its very nature, an instrument of the Dark and unkind as a rule to the essential fabric of whatever is and may be. It is only by the tempering elements of the Gold Sun that the taking in of such hostile energies is more than merely an elaborate form of suicide. The raw stresses of this are quite evident then when Madame Ainsworth invokes so terrible a spell. Her already pale skin grows to be a lifeless gray, gaining an unseemly translucence that is easily pierced by even the wane light of Fartown beneath the Indigo Sun. The lines and forms of every bone visible from just the right angles as they shatter, stretch, and mend with an agonizing rapidity to drag her up to a daunting height. Sinew, muscle and tendon all the while snapping, recoiling, and reforming to accommodate this new and predatory bearing. Veins and arteries, in kind, flow with noxious black as the corruptive energies swirl and take root, her eyes draining of that distinct crimson and gold hue leaving only a single prick of light nearly drowned in a sea of impenetrable black.

Were that these the extent of the horrors wrought by the invoking of the Eye of Immanis for one can't help but stare as razor-like teeth push aside whatever may block their way, twisting and gnarling the line of gum and tooth to pierce and part the flesh of the cheek revealing a hideous, too broad maw. A likewise change playing out in the hands as bones shatter and twist as tendons and sinew reinforce to accommodate the agonizingly slow-yet-quick emergence of seven inch talons, black as jet, that now adorn each finger tip. This final change marking the ultimate perversion, turning tools of creation to tools of abject and potent destruction.

Pools

Certes

Physicality: 2/3

Qualia

Intellect: 2/3

Sortilege: 1/2

Hidden Knowledge: 9

Injuries:

Wounds:

Anguish:

Name
Physicality (Bird Rescue)
1d10 6

Aldrion Phect

Aldrion rose from where he'd spotted the spiders, turning to look towards Ma'am. For a brief moment, he'd thought that the wariness of the spiders was specific to her. That assumption was drowned out, though, by a surge in volume from the birds above. He suddenly felt more than a little silly to have thought that they were hiding from Ma'am.

The question, then, was how to best fix this mess? Were the webs a precaution against the hostility of the ravens, or the provocation that had set them off? Answers were needed, and Aldrion was more of a "solve problems that others identify" sort of guy. Finding information was more the purview of other peo-

Was that what Ma'am meant about the tip of the spear?

Shaking his head, Aldrion shifted focus back to Ma'am. "I'm starting to think that you aren't the reason that the spiders are hiding."

He then punctuated the comment by nodding up toward the agitated birds.

Character Arcs

• Uncover a SecretThere is knowledge out there that you want. This
    arc is a great way to get one of the secrets in the
    chapter Character and House Secrets that the GM
    has said aren’t readily available. Likewise, it could
    be an attempt to find and learn a specific rare spell
    or ritual. This could also be a hunt for a lost magic
    word or key that will open a sealed door, the name
    of a devil, the secret name of an important person,
    or just how the arabast fashioned their windows in
    ancient times.

Cost: Seeker. You pay a cost of 2 Acumen.

Opening: Naming the Secret. 1 Acumen reward.
    You give your goal a name. “I am seeking the lost
    martial art of the Khendrix, who could slice steel
    with their bare hands.”

Step(s): Research. 1 Acumen reward. You scour
    libraries and old tomes for clues and information.

Step(s): Investigation. 1 Acumen reward. You talk
    to people to gain clues and information.
    Step(s): Tracking. 1 Acumen reward. You track
    down the source of the secret information and travel
    to it.

Climax: Revelation. 2 Acumen reward. You find
    and attempt to use the secret, whatever that entails.
    A successful resolution results in 1 Joy. Failure
    results in 1 Despair.

Resolution: 1 Acumen reward. You contemplate
    how this secret affects you and the world.
    - Current Step: Seeker
  • CleanseSomeone or something has been contaminated,
    probably by foul magic, and you want to rid them
    of such influences. This might be a curse, a
    possession, an infestation, or something else.

Cost: Becoming Aware of the Need. You pay a cost
    of 2 Acumen.

Opening: Analyzing the Threat. 1 Acumen
    reward. You determine the nature of the
    contamination.

Step: Find the Solution. 2 Acumen reward.
    Almost every contamination has its own particular
    solution, and this likely involves research and
    consultation.

Step: Getting Ready. 1 Acumen reward. The
    solution probably involves materials, spells, or other
    things that you must gather and prepare.

Climax: The Cleansing. 3 Acumen reward. You
    confront the contamination. A successful resolution
    results in 1 Joy. Failure results in 1 Despair.
    Resolution: 1 Acumen reward. You reflect on the
    events that have transpired and what effects they
    might have on the future. How can you keep this
    from happening again?
    - Current Step: Analyzing the Threat

Description

Aldrion prefers to cover up, as his time in the Shadow working in repairs instilled him with an appreciation of proper protection. He has a scar over one eyebrow, presumably from a narrow miss taken during the war. He favors a style that mixes plain colors with the odd splash of supernatural hues, often in shades of or near indigo in representation of his newfound appreciation for the truth.

Pools

Certes

Accuracy: 2/2

Perception: 2/2

Qualia

Sorcery: 8/8

Hidden Knowledge: 12

Injuries:

Wounds:

Anguish:

Edited by Ganurath (see edit history)

Divination: "One sometimes must act alone to succeed. Curiosity and cleverness can be virtues, but be wary of taking them too far. A challenge may arise that involves both mental and physical dexterity."

Stannis looked back and forth between Xanah and Shuistliel, considering. He was a big man, so big that he stood taller than each despite the hunch to his shoulders from what must have been many longs year pulling his cart. Neither Vislae had specified a preference in their desires, and so he spent a long while considering them before shrugging and giving up.

"Enduring then, a shame. I do so enjoy transitory work."

He moved to the side of the cart, and unlatched a hatch door which swung open to reveal a stash of black coal. Next to the revealed stash were a collection of handles poking out, each looking to belong to a different wrought iron tool. He spent a moment considering these, and then withdrew one carefully, revealing it to be a long poker for tending the fire. He swung it about once or twice, testing the weight and the heft, before handing it to Xanah. It had a twisted Shepard's crook for a handle that was fashioned for hands slightly bigger than the Vislae's, probably Stan's own large mitts. Still, it would get the job done. He closed the hatch, and then continued circling the cart, humming to himself as he walked. This time at the back of it, he slid open a drawer, within which they could hear a collection of metallic objects sliding about. He selected one, revealing it to be a pair of tinner snips. Easily more than a foot long in total, the four inch long blades gleamed dully in the ever growing dawn light. He closed the drawer with a satisfying "thunk," and shuffled back around to hand the implement to Shuistliel. It was a workman's tool, unadorned and unembellished, the blades sharpened to a razor's edge. The weight of it made it feel sturdy, durable, a hundred times more than what he might need to deal with even the thickest of webs.

"Wrought iron for the poker, copper coated steel for the snips. That will be a Crystal Orb each."

As the Maker handed the Vance the tool, Shuistliel saw a tiny grey moth leave Stan's shoulder and drift off lazily on the morning breeze. Somehow, it managed to avoid all of the nets of webs, slipping up and then turning well away from the descending flock. The unkindness appeared to have found something to draw their unified attention, and they were raising quite a fuss about. The flock had been irritated when they'd emerged from their homes, but now they appeared positively furious. They'd already set their destination as the Spider's Nest, given that it was the most enwebbed of the buildings within the Cascades. It practically looked like a giant egg at that point, with all the uncomfortable implications that carried. However, the center of the unkindness' ire was Ma'am's backyard.

"Snap its neck, drink its blood, make them leave, leave us alone, varanosh iilthkir kirrani."

The voices of the Chorus shouted as the Raven took its first tentative leap, evidently displeased by what it considered to be the bird's profane presence. Its claws dug into her skin as it came down, but she had prepared herself, and it did not catch her off guard. She moved quickly, going back the way she had come. She'd already cleared a path through the webs to get there, and to noted that no strands had reformed while she had been distracted. The path she'd cut through the webs remained, giving her a clear trail to take back to her estate. Checking over her shoulder, she noted that the descending unkindness sent no winged battalions off from the main flock to intercept her. Whatever it was that had upset them, she seemed to have no part in it. Turning her back to them, she moved away.

The other Raven hadn't made any progress in escaping the Aspens, and as she drew nearer she could see it wasn't even moving.The bird she'd already rescued let out a distressed croak, and through the Indigo magic which she'd consumed understanding bloomed within her mind.

"Spider-bit?"

It asked, but received no response from the other bird. Looking closely, she could see that it had been attempting to free itself with its beak, and had only succeeded in gumming up the works even more. She couldn't see if it was even still breathing, or if it had asphyxiated itself in its struggle to escape. She had to set the first bird down to make an attempt at the second, something that it did not appreciate, but there was no way for her to climb the tree and not crush the bird.

"Not-safe. Be-quick."

It squawked, shaking its feathers in agitation as she began her climb. It was awkward, but with a single leap she managed to grab one of the lower branches on the second leap. Holding onto it, she was able to get her feet against the trunk, and from there haul herself further up until she could get her right hand on one of the branches the bird was bound too. As she began to sink her weight into that, both heard and felt an unpleasant snapping noise as the dead wood began to give way. She let go with that hand, swinging out wide with the firm grip she held with her left and falling a foot. Her own weight jerked uncomfortably at the muscles of her shoulder, and she released her grip to give herself a moment to compose herself. The branch she'd grasped was partially broken, and she realized that if she tried it again it would snap fully. However, as she looked up again at her target she realized her efforts had pulled it down and away from the branches that had partially obscured it. It wasn't moving, but a single black eye watched her intently as she worked. Recognizing that her efforts wouldn't be in vain, she made another attempt at the damaged branch, and with a satisfying crack snapped it cleanly off in her hand. Like an angler with a fish on a pole, she brought the bird down to the grass, the skin of her palm chaffed by not bloodied from her efforts.

Ma'am's gaze pivoted up towards the descending unkindness above, staring at the flock as it drew near. That sensation of rotation repeated itself within her eyes as she focused on them. The birds were only thirty feet or so above them now, squawking angrily, having rapidly closed the distance between them. Blessedly, they did not appear intent on immediately dive bombing the pair of them. Perhaps that wasn't their goal at all, or perhaps the countless spiderwebs were enough to but the pair of them some time. Whatever it was, Ma'am watched it for only a moment, and then turned back to her visitor.

"Would you like a cup of tea inside, Phect?"

The Maker asked, the emphasis on the words clear. She made a quick about face and began to cross over the stones and back towards her home, throwing open the back door of the carriage house and motioning for the other Vislae to step inside. Through the open door, he could see that she was inviting him into a small kitchenette. Stepping inside, he found the place cramped but comfy, with the former growing when the Maker quickly shut the door behind him. She peered out a crescent shaped window in the door, stained glass about the size of two hands pressed flat, with a few pieces of clear glass worked into the larger piece so that it actually worked as a viewport. Looking about, Aldrion could see that all the windows of the House were like that, beautiful pieces of stained glass portraying astral landscapes and views of the heavens. They were beautiful works, one and all, but they did make it quite difficult to see what the unkindness was doing outside. The dawn light was growing darker as the flock descended, that much was clear. He could see flashing shapes through the stained glass, but otherwise they appeared undisturbed. It was quiet though, save for the screeching and croaking of Ravens outside. Whatever had them so upset, at least they weren't hurling themselves into the house over it. They weren't even landing on the roof, as far as he could tell. Were they scared too?

He'd been so focused on the body language of the Spiders, had he been thinking about that of the Ravens?

"Well then, black or green?"

Ma'am sounded more perturbed than outright worried. She was a Maker within her own home, perhaps she had no reason to be concerned? That was certainly an explanation for why the Ravens weren't landing, but it didn't exactly feel like the right onw.

Shuistliel

Shuistliel takes the tin snips and hands over the Orb in payment, thanking Stan. "This is exactly what I wanted, Stan," he says, "Thank you!" He gives it a few snips in the air and the tool looks like it could indeed cut through nearly anything. While Stan is handing over Xanah's purchase, he frowns and looks up at the swirling mass of angry birds, now seeming angrier. "I think we need to make a change of plans, Xanah, dear. They look like someone or something's angering them, and if they're opposed to whoever dropped the webs, that might give us more information than the web-covered house.

"Plus, someone might be in trouble with the Ravens and need help!" the Vislae added. "What do you think?"

Character Arcs

Description

Pools

Certes

Qualia

Injuries:

Wounds:

Anguish:

Xanah

Xanah happily handed over the bit of crystal Stan had asked for. He had come through for her just as well as he had for Shuistliel. She thanked him and gave her warmest smile.

The fire poker felt good in her hand--heavy, too. She gave it a couple testing swings before tucking it under her arm to carry it, one hand still on the handle, the pointed end sticking out somewhere behind her in the general direction of her elbow. It occurred to her she could brain a fellow with it if she wasn't careful, so best to keep it from swinging about until she needed it.

She listened to Shuistliel's proposal, following his gaze. Him she regarded with the same smile, but this version had a character altogether more mischievous streak to it. "Mmhm. Had the same thought, myself."

NEW! Character Arcs

Join an Organization

As an arachnophile, I'm being groomed to join the Cacophony, an association of spiders whose name only really makes sense to spiders. They seek to establish diplomatic ties with the Angular Serpentine.

Aid a Friend

Aldrion Phect wishes to rescue his spouse from Shadow, but first he must Uncover the Secret of how such a task might even be possible. I'm too closeted a romantic to tell him I can't resist helping somebody reunite with their loved one.

Description

Appearance

Xanah and the possessions on her person lose color saturation in proportion to her amount of sunlight exposure. She's completely grayscale in broad daylight. She otherwise sports a head of medium-length red-brown hair, copper colored eyes, and a fair complexion. Xanah is of unremarkable height and build, a slim physique that belies a lifetime of overindulging. It's only her constantly moving workaholic ethic that keeps her in shape. Her clothing usually favors practicality and comfort, never one to indulge in fashionable fads. Ever conscientious of her habits, Xanah always smells faintly of cinnamon and spice.

Personality

• A patron of lost causes, shooter of troubles, slayer of dragons, walker of tightropes, and runner with scissors.
  • Her sharp tongue and compulsion to kick hornets' nests and turn over rocks makes many enemies. In her Order she's been demoted twice for it.

Occupation

Xanah describes herself as "creatively entrepreneurial," which is to say she doesn't actually have a traditional occupation. As previously mentioned, she lives off favors. These keep her constantly busy juggling a tangled web of commitments, investments, activism, and odd-jobs that she's perfectly satisfied living in the middle of. Income can be wildly inconsistent, but she's never been one to require much in the way of creature comforts. She's just as likely to blow a windfall on a hopeless cause as she is to devote it to a strategic endeavor. "Money," she says, "is just a means to an end, grease for the skids."

She toys with the idea of running for office but talks herself out of it, saying that nobody would vote for her anyway. Despite her modest self-assessment, the growing network of contacts she's been developing suggests she might get more support than she realizes.

Dichotomies

• Friends or Family - "I don't make close friends easy, but the few I have are basically family."
  • Order or Chaos - "A little strategic chaos keeps the omnipotent busybodies from getting too comfortable."
  • Society or the Individual - "Society is people. Make a difference for one and you make a different society."
  • Generosity or Greed - "You give a little to get a little. Sometimes, well...sometimes people need me to give a little more."
  • Ego or Id - "Can't honestly say I've ever been accused of temperance or self control."
  • Instinct or Knowledge - "My gut has never let me down about what the right thing to do is."
  • Home or the Road - "Give me a warm house and somebody to share it with on all the days that end in 'Y'."
  • Contentment or Challenge - "Look, I don't go crusading for lost causes. They seek me out. They know I"m easy."

Pools

CERTES QUALIA

Felicia Ainsworth

Felicia wasn't a fool by any stretch of the imagination, she knew each act of defiance would come with a price. Some penance to appease the savage things that she'd invited into her soul for reasons lost to the fog of memory... She knew it would be devastating, she knew it would be sudden, and she knew all she'd here would be the laughing of monstrous voices at battered and broken walls of her mind. All she could do was grit her teeth, choke on the taste of copper and grave dust that seemed to lodge in her throat and push back the blackness that clawed at the edge of her vision as the Chorus grew louder, more insistent, more desperate in it's venomous spewing. The feeling of coarse sand and wicked heat biting at her neck as louder voices rose up from the depths and still she pushed back as she finally shattered the branch and lowered the ensnared raven to the earth below. The awareness in it's eyes a small blessing and that needed push to keep her to the task and not lose herself to the inner turmoil.

There'll be hell for this. Don't you worry.

It was as much assurance to the Chorus within as to Felicia, herself, but for now she had more immediate things to worry about as she descended the tree with all due care and collect up both the ravens. Only slowing for a moment to ensure the one so thoroughly snared was able to breath and was in a more pitiable state than her other avian rescue. Once confirmed, she made all due speed towards her home. Partly to address the concerns of too open space and no high ground and so that she could collect the tools she thought she'd need to look after the both of them. It was going to be an expensive morning in terms of materials... but at least it was good work and possibly something new could grow out of it.

Character Arcs

• Develop a Bond - Current Step: Getting to Know You

Description

Description

In the Guise of Immanis

Pools

Certes

Qualia

Interaction: 6/6 (+3 from Signature Item)

Sortilege: 2/2

Injuries:

Wounds:

Anguish:

Within the grounds of her own Estate, Felicia cleared the last of the webs away from the downed bird. Her concerns about material costs were somewhat abated by all the Raven's FeathersLevel 1 Ingredient and Spider's WebLevel 1 Ingredient  she was able to recover as she worked. In a moment, she had the creature free. It did not appear to be injured like the first, and it flapped its wings experimentally. The action caused it to raise a few inches into the air, and after testing for a moment it looked up at Felicia and croaked.

"Not-bit. Spiders-scared. Thank-you, Raven-friend."

The bird she was already carrying on her shoulder let out a triumphant series of clicks and croaks as the bird at her feet took wing, rapidly ascending to gain height and rejoin the main body of its companions. She found herself and the first bird alone as she walked the grounds, with no shadow overhead as she walked. The main host of the unkindness had left her Estate, focusing the entirety of its attention upon her neighbor.

Xanah and Shuistliel quickly made their way down the road in the direction of the disturbance, their passage added by their new tools. It was slow going still, but made much easier by the fruits of Stan's labors. The unkindness had turned its focus to Ma'am's backyard, swooping and diving, a discordant symphony of noise whose mysteries only one of the Vislae present could discern. They had not chased the retreating Maker, nor her guest, the focus of their ire remaining concentrated upon the yard itself. They appeared to have a measure of where the webs were thickest, and avoided those patches of sky with skill and precision. Yet their confidence ended when it came to actually landing, and for good reason. Even with their sharp eyes and the dew covered strands, there were so many webs that their theater of operation was severely limited. They plunged, dive bombing the yard, but always pulled back before touching down upon branch or roof. When the morning dew burned off, it would be extremely dangerous for them to attempt whatever it was they were doing. Perhaps that was the only reason now why they were being so bold.

The picket fence of the Maker's home only came up waist high, allowing the two to easily see into the front yard and the carriage house beyond. The fence was covered in wire wrapped pieces of stained glass, a random pattern of orange, red, purple, and blue hues all of different sizes. The windows of the home were similarly stained, depicting glorious views of the heavens of the night sky to the left of the door, and the morning horizon to the right. Within, they could see shapes moving in the house, but could not see clearly who the shapes were or what they were doing.

Shuistliel

Shuistliel puts the snips away and then looks at the home in front of them. The cacophony of the ravens was stronger here and it was putting him slightly on edge. "I don't suppose you know the Maker that lives here?" he asks Xanah. "I should know the neighbors more than I do, but I let myself become something of a recluse of late. Old habits, as you know." They'd both touched on their time in Shadow during their time at the Vancian school, and Xanah was aware that Shuistliel had been a survivalist.

He shakes his head. "I really don't like all of this, the webs, the birds. We need to get to the bottom of this." He produces an elegant, oversized mask. "I have this piece of ephemera, and if I ask the same question three times, I'll know which is false and which is true. Be thinking of a good question, if you wouldn't mind!" The way he's described the magic, it must answer three questions, two truthfully and one falsely. He puts the mask away carefully.

NEW! Character Arcs

Solve a Mystery: There's a ton of questions surrounding the webbing of his neighborhood and the swirl of angry birds aloft, and Shuistliel wants answers to all of them. And he can handle the truth!

Description

Pools

Certes

Qualia

Injuries:

Wounds:

Anguish:

Aldrion Phect

"Seems like a good time for it." Aldrion didn't follow immediately after her, taking a moment to glance upward as she passed him to get to the door. At least, making a show of it for the birds. Once she was past, he let the tip of his sword hover just at the edge of the brush that the spiders were hiding in. He'd linger only a fraction of a second, but if the spiders were quick, and it wasn't Ma'am they were afraid of? They wouldn't be abandoned to their fates.

That'd be an unkindness.

After that brief delay, Aldrion followed after at a brisk pace, sheathing his sword as he got close enough to Ma'am that she might be at risk. Minding the tip as it went into the sheath on his back gave him a chance to look if he'd picked up any guests, too. "I can't recall a time I've ever had tea, actually. What would you recommend to a blue-collar type?"

Aldrion used a free hand to check the collar of his coat, on the side opposite his sheath. Indigo wasn't quite blue. "So to speak."

Character Arcs

• Uncover a SecretThere is knowledge out there that you want. This
    arc is a great way to get one of the secrets in the
    chapter Character and House Secrets that the GM
    has said aren’t readily available. Likewise, it could
    be an attempt to find and learn a specific rare spell
    or ritual. This could also be a hunt for a lost magic
    word or key that will open a sealed door, the name
    of a devil, the secret name of an important person,
    or just how the arabast fashioned their windows in
    ancient times.

Cost: Seeker. You pay a cost of 2 Acumen.

Opening: Naming the Secret. 1 Acumen reward.
    You give your goal a name. “I am seeking the lost
    martial art of the Khendrix, who could slice steel
    with their bare hands.”

Step(s): Research. 1 Acumen reward. You scour
    libraries and old tomes for clues and information.

Step(s): Investigation. 1 Acumen reward. You talk
    to people to gain clues and information.
    Step(s): Tracking. 1 Acumen reward. You track
    down the source of the secret information and travel
    to it.

Climax: Revelation. 2 Acumen reward. You find
    and attempt to use the secret, whatever that entails.
    A successful resolution results in 1 Joy. Failure
    results in 1 Despair.

Resolution: 1 Acumen reward. You contemplate
    how this secret affects you and the world.
    - Current Step: Seeker
  • CleanseSomeone or something has been contaminated,
    probably by foul magic, and you want to rid them
    of such influences. This might be a curse, a
    possession, an infestation, or something else.

Cost: Becoming Aware of the Need. You pay a cost
    of 2 Acumen.

Opening: Analyzing the Threat. 1 Acumen
    reward. You determine the nature of the
    contamination.

Step: Find the Solution. 2 Acumen reward.
    Almost every contamination has its own particular
    solution, and this likely involves research and
    consultation.

Step: Getting Ready. 1 Acumen reward. The
    solution probably involves materials, spells, or other
    things that you must gather and prepare.

Climax: The Cleansing. 3 Acumen reward. You
    confront the contamination. A successful resolution
    results in 1 Joy. Failure results in 1 Despair.
    Resolution: 1 Acumen reward. You reflect on the
    events that have transpired and what effects they
    might have on the future. How can you keep this
    from happening again?
    - Current Step: Analyzing the Threat

Description

Aldrion prefers to cover up, as his time in the Shadow working in repairs instilled him with an appreciation of proper protection. He has a scar over one eyebrow, presumably from a narrow miss taken during the war. He favors a style that mixes plain colors with the odd splash of supernatural hues, often in shades of or near indigo in representation of his newfound appreciation for the truth.

Pools

Certes

Accuracy: 2/2

Perception: 2/2

Qualia

Sorcery: 8/8

Hidden Knowledge: 12

Injuries:

Wounds:

Anguish:

Xanah

Xanah shook her head. "Not well," she said in regard to the identity of the resident of this house. "Everyone calls her 'Ma'am', though I suppose it's mostly out of courtesy."

"I'll tell you what,"
she added, that mischievous look appearing once again on her expression, "when this is over and all cleaned up, we can have a block party and you can rub elbows with all the neighbors you like."

As they crossed over the yard, she listened to her colleague deliberate on the seriousness of the situation--of which, Xanah was in full agreement. Oh, it was absolutely true she was interested in helping out because of the status doing so would bring. That much went without saying. She lived like a spider in a tightly interconnected web of favors. Two things, however, could be true at the same time; for it was also true that Xanah had genuine concern for her neighbors. There was a quirky moral compass somewhere in her tarnished heart of gold.

"Let's keep your bit of ephemera on the back burner until we know more. Questions may present themselves as we learn more." She climbed the steps to the front of the carriage house. She knocked on the door, and in the moments before the occupant answered she looked back over her shoulder and said to Shuistliel, "Shall we see who the birds are so keen on getting?"

Character Arcs

Join an Organization

Aid a Friend

Description

Appearance

Personality

Occupation

Dichotomies

Pools

CERTES QUALIA