OOC - Ramblings, Insights and Ideas

Welcome @Pangea - I'll take a look and see if anything I need clarification on. :)

I do say, it is going to be a tough decision if I limit to 5 players as there's a lot of interesting, intriguing ideas in the apps. LOL

In the NPCs tpic are a thread with the other 5 members of the Haven if folks want to make ties. :)

30 minutes ago, Laird_Thorne said:

Welcome @Pangea - I'll take a look and see if anything I need clarification on. :)

I do say, it is going to be a tough decision if I limit to 5 players as there's a lot of interesting, intriguing ideas in the apps. LOL

In the NPCs tpic are a thread with the other 5 members of the Haven if folks want to make ties. :)

Maybe the players that don't get chosen as PC's can stay as NPC's.

14 hours ago, Laird_Thorne said:

Can we make stuff up about them? Or do you already have stuff set about the role they play in the haven, the role they want, personality etc?

Because I'm thinking Cadey wants to be a leader after seeing what happens with the wrong people in charge. But she's juuust mature enough to realize she isn't quite ready yet, so might glom on to a leader-type for one of her anchors to learn the ropes/support them.
It could be cool if that was an NPC. It would make for an interesting dynamic if Alexander Boon was one of the chosen 5 to have a rival for leadership to but heads with - in a mostly on the same team way. And if he doesn't, it'd potentially be a set-up for an eventual lead-astray/betrayed story arc or just a plain "I've grown, have my own ideas and no longer just go along with everything you say" one.

Also: Hey @Pangea, welcome to the Thunderdome - Seven characters enter, Five characters leave! (Then a few more likely die various sudden and tragic deaths, because it is The Walking Dead after all.)

Edited by BuyCrom
Catching a stray letter (see edit history)

1 hour ago, BuyCrom said:

Can we make stuff up about them? Or do you already have stuff set about the role they play in the haven, the role they want, personality etc?

Because I'm thinking Cadey wants to be a leader after seeing what happens with the wrong people in charge. But she's juuust mature enough to realize she isn't quite ready yet, so might glom on to a leader-type for one of her anchors to learn the ropes/support them.
It could be cool if that was an NPC. It would make for an interesting dynamic if Alexander Boon was one of the chosen 5 to have a rival for leadership to but heads with - in a mostly on the same team way. And if he doesn't, it'd potentially be a set-up for an eventual lead-astray/betrayed story arc or just a plain "I've grown, have my own ideas and no longer just go along with everything you say" one.

Also: Hey @Pangea, welcome to the Thunderdome - Seven characters enter, Five characters leave! (Then at few more likely die various sudden and tragic deaths, because it is The Walking Dead after all.)

Right now, I don't have any specific ideas in mind for them, so I welcome input on who they are, their attitudes, etc. :)

Because of my thoughts on what the universe and game is all about, I gladly welcome input on any aspect of the game. It's a character-driven and personality-centric story that gets told. The Walkers are window dressing for the most part, although early on I plan on having them pretty active/front-and-center in your troubles.

Something that I'm not sure folks have expressed, is what would you like to see occur for your character and the group in general? Remember, when you look at the time that the original TWD took you see: Season 1 = 1 week of time 2 months after the outbreak, Season 2 = 3 weeks on the Hershel Farm, Season 3 = begins after 8 months or so of "survival" then we see things rolling up to around Outbreak+321 days. Less than a year in three seasons, so I think we have a lot of flexibility in how we tell the story. Our beginning would be about halfway in the gap between Season 2 and 3. :)

Also, yes, welcome to the aftermath @Pangea :)

Yes, everything I’ve seen is it’s a human only virus…. At least for next 20 years…. Or possibly some lab somewhere might be causing an Umbrella Corporation-like localized outbreak or undead animals… I mean, who knows…. :D

I always thought human-only zombie outbreaks were like.. the best of a worst situation. Imagine if it infected ALL animals? Zombie cows? zombie birds? Zombie mosquitos? It'd be hell on earth for like.. what.. a year? Then it would be hell on earth but with no humans left.

re. fleshing out the NPcs and maybe the Haven, in general I prefer to detail things as the game starts and progresses, to adapt & fit to what is happening and the other characters (vs. making too many decisions & choices beforehand)… so not much help from me there—yet…

But I have read all and thinking things over.

Off topic If you want a great series. Check out the ARISEN series by Michael Stephen Fuchs. Its military-centric, but several animals. even though not true "zombification" the Virus does have some strange effects. Audio version is awesome also, read by the awesome and incredible R.C. Bray

PC Review (based on Drive and Issue)
Jackson Josef Goss II, CRIMINAL (Strength/Close Combat), Drive: "Do anything to come up on top." Issues: Resist Authority
Pros: Lots of moral story potential Cons: May lean away from humanity
Weakness: Empathy

Cadence Sawyer, KID (Agility/Mobility), Drive: "We are survivors." Issues: I will ruthlessly protect the group.
Pros: Balanced Cons: None Weakness: Strength

Cassius Clay III, CORRECTIONAL OFFICER (Strength/Close Combat) Drive: "I do what is needed." Issues: Indifferent
Pros: Maintains order Cons: Depends on governing system, Specialized
Weakness: Empathy other than Medicine, Wits other than Scout

Deano Alexander, PARAMEDIC (Wits/Medicine) Drive: "There is always a solution." Issues: Hard to trust strangers
Pros: Medicine is useful. Cons: None
Weakness: Empathy other than Medicine

Fleur Blanc, SCIENTIST (Wits/Tech) Drive: "I will save us all." Issues: Morally flexible.
Pros: Tech savvy Cons: Specialized
Weakness: Empathy and Strength

Alexander Boon, POLITICIAN (Empathy/Manipulation) Drive: "This is a new beginning." Issues: I promise more than I can deliver.
Pros: Social skills are useful. Cons: Depends how much he lies
Weakness: Strength

James Smith, NOBODY (Agility/Stealth) Drive: "With the Outbreak, everything is upside down. This is my shot at becoming... what? Well, something!" Issue: No one gives a crap if I live or die, not even myself... Life is effing pointless. Even more so now.
Pros: Balanced Cons: Possibly suicidal given the right situation.
Weakness: None (Average Joe)

Father John Hayward, PREACHER (Empathy/Leadership) Drive:"I walk with the Lord." Issues: Afraid of conflict
Pros: Bred to be a shepherd Cons: What's a shepherd without sheep?
Weakness: Strength

Nikole Holly, LAW ENFORCER (Wits/Scout) Drive: "I am the law." Issue: Must try to save innocents; There are no more jails, so a bullet will do.
Pros: Gun proficient Cons:Tell me you're Judge Dredd without telling me you're Judge Dredd. Weakness: Strength

So far, there 9 applicants. 6 more days until the game is closed.

3 of the applicants are Leader types.
2 are Brutes.
1 is a Scientist type.
1 is a Doctor type.
1 is an Average Joe type. Glorified NPC that can have stress.
1 is a Judge, Jury, and Executioner type.

GROUP A: Team Anarchy Who's leading?! Chaos personified.
3 Leaders
1 Average Joe
1 Judge Dredd

GROUP B: Order personified. Safe but kinda boring. New America.
1 Leader (Politician)
1 Brute (Correctional Officer)
1 Doctor (Wits)
1 Scientist (Wits)
1 Brute (Criminal)

GROUP C: Let's start a cult!
1 Leader (Preacher)
1 Average Joe (Born to be sheep)
1 Scientist (Wits)
1 Brute (Criminal)

GROUP D: Organized Violence / Gang
0 Leader
2 Brutes
1 Scientist
1 Average Joe (Low tier member)
1 Kid (Just needed dog for breeding)

GROUP E: Enlightened Peace; Promise of a New World
1 Leader (Politician)
1 Leader (Preacher)
1 Scientist
1 Doctor
1 Average Joe (Eventually commits suicide.)

GROUP F: Police State; It's worse than martial law.
1 Leader (The Kid)
1 Judge Dredd (Co-Leader)
1 Brute (Criminal; Deputized)
1 Average Joe (Entry Level; Promising future if not killed)

I'll drop some points from Leadership. I felt a priest should have them be capable of ministering to a congregation, but I don't want to compete for class president. I think I'll put them into guns - like 80% of the other apps, but I wouldn't peg John for a tough guy.