Interlude 3: Winter 2947 T.A. - Spring 2948 T.A.

rogueblade0729

Music: Happy Yule Festival - LOTR: Rise to War

Bree-land - Yuletide, 2947 T.A.

e81f1c74c43a7a480030cbf6c418648a-3936536441.jpg.a892394205746dd4075c218a066eb6fd.jpgSvior nodded in understanding. "Aye. But no warrior truly achieves greatness alone. Great Azaghâl, Lord of Belegost, could not have overcome the dragon Glaurung in the Battle of Unnumbered Tears without the stout hearts and sharp axes of his kinsmen! To walk in his tomb and listen to the lorekeepers recount his story... it is humbling to even the mightiest of us."

The other dwarves at the table, Thorum included, spend a few moments in reverent silence. Clearing his throat, Svior brought their attention back to the present.

"But such tales are best saved for another time. Tonight, we celebrate the passing of the years, and our successful return journey from Erebor! Of course, we've still many leagues to walk before we see our mountain halls once more, but the Shire and East Lune are hardly dangerous roads. Come then, Orn. What news from the west?"

OOC

OOC: -

@Papa Bear

image.jpeg.73940120db5f4a4029590082d07a0a45.jpegOrn, Son of Thain

Weaponmaster

#3 HP: 32 / 32          AC: 20 (16)           Second Wind: Yes          Action Surge: Yes    Shadow: 2       Character Sheet

"There isn't much that I know. This past year I was in your halls visiting my cousins and we had a grand time." Orn says, "Though nothing of particular interest happened. But I may have to return for we did find a few interesting crevasses that we may need to investigate." Orn says, then turns his head up as if thinking. "I can tell the tale of the Wight and what happened before or I can tell the tale of what we've just returned from. There is evil afoot yet from that and my companions and I stand ready to both investigate and see justice done."  and with that, Orn starts in on regaling the contingent of Svior with their story (and perhaps a little edge in how he was depicted... perhaps his near-death experience might not be told exactly as it happened, though he won't lie. He will tell that the enemy nearly got the better of him.

Amdiran, Son of Amdirgir Dunédain Warden (Counselor) 4
spacer.png

AC: 15/17 | HP: 27/27 | HD: 4/4d8 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 17 | Warden's Gift: 3/3 | Discourse 1/1 | Foresight: 1/1
Shadow Points: 3 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Amdiran shakes his head in answer to Hallas' question. "I have the tablet, even though I wish I did not," he says. "It has strange powers. In a moment of weakness, it called to me, and I drew upon its power. It summoned shades of Men that terrified our foes. I am sure my companions and I would have perished had I not answered the tablet's call, but I sometimes hear its whispers in my sleep. I fear I will not endure against its lure." The Ranger pauses to consider Hallas' question. "I had not thought to ask the Schoolmistress about the tablet. I shall remedy that oversight."

Amdiran goes to ask the Schoolmistress about the tablet.

images.jpg
Léofwyn (Rohirrim Knight level 3)

AC: 17/18* | HP: 29/29 (-) | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 11 | Speed: 30 ft
Inspiration: 1Shadow: 4 |Action Surge: 1 | Second Wind: 1 | Mark of Honor: 1/1 | Sworn Defender: -

Broad Sword | Spear | Short Bow | Dagger 

Aelfric (Horse, Large) | AC: 12 | HP: 38/38 Speed: 60ft | Passive Perception: 11 Hooves Trained Warhorse

The road to Rohan from Bree is a long and tiresome journey in the best of weather. To undertake the trip at the onset of winter only compounds the difficulty. However the added discomfort and misery allows for a relatively safe passage. Fewer enemies tend lurk along the road in these conditions. The small caravan carefully made their way south at as comfortable a pace they could afford. Luck would be on their side however, as no sign of bandits or Dunland war parties were encountered.

After what felt like an eternity Léofwyn rode through the gates and into the courtyard of Fowlmere manor. The high peaks of the White Mountains glittered in the distance from a fresh snow and small whisps of chimney smoke rose above the hamlet as the folk went about their day. She was glad to be home, it had been nearly a year since her last visit. Yet much had changed. Her father's grave mound now sat vigil outside the gates, wreathed in Simbelmynë among those of his ancestors. Now her brother sat upon the seat of the house. She led Aelfric to the stables and went to see her family.

The weeks of winter moved slowly in Fowlmere. Léofwyn spent much of it helping her mother, telling tales of adventure to her nieces and nephews, relaying trade and merchant news to her brother and his council. Yet her most cherished time was taking Aelfric to ride on the open grasslands and pastures surrounding the small village. Their time away from the rolling plains had led to the warhorse losing a bit of his edge. Aelfric seemed to gain a newfound confidence with their return. Even the stablemaster remarked on his change in stature and demeanor. Léofwyn did not know whether it was the weeks of training or the return to home, but the warhorse seemed invigorated, stronger and prouder than ever.

As the winds of winter began to subside and the mountain creeks sprang to life again Léofwyn knew it was time to return to Bree. She bid farewell to her brother and family and joined a caravan heading west. The return journey was mostly uneventful, a small band of Dunland scouts attempted to waylay the group but were driven off after a brief engagement. Luckily no one was severely injured and they were able to continue without further altercation. The only obstacle upon the road was the thick mud, freshly thawed from winter.

Upon her return to Bree Léofwyn met with Flòri and payed the remaining sum for her new sword. She then proceeded to the Prancing Pony where she found Orn among the patrons.

OOC

I'm paying 6g to 'upgrade' Aelfric from a Palfrey horse to a Destrier (p.149 Rohan guide)

Léofwyn will also be completing the Rohan Horse training undertaking and will give Aelfric the 'Strong' trait. (p.152 Rohan Guide)

Upon her return to Bree she will collect the Broadsword from Flòri.

Galian Elethor (Mirkwood Elf Wanderer 3) sheet appspacer.png

AC: 16 | HP: 28/28 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 14 (16 in wilderness) | Features

Galian thanks the Rangers for the information and enjoys spending much of the winter with them and Amdiran. As spring starts to arrive, she returns to Bree to reunite with Orn and Leofwyn. Once at the prancing pony, she is glad to see her new friends. She tells them the bits and pieces of knowledge she was able to gather through the winter. She tells them of her winter, asks about their journeys, and then recounts the recommendations of the rangers regarding Thieves Glenn and Oswald Breeker, the Wood-castle and Harry Talltree, and of the High House and Tad Tillfield.

"Do any of you know any of these men? If we are going to investigate this increase in banditry to see if it is related to Gorlanc, where would you like to start?"

Mechanics

Main Hand: Bow

Off Hand: none

Action: none
Bonus Action: none
Move: none
Manipulate: none

Notes

Gorlanc, shadow chasing Gror.

Mallor, also known as Tarry-Mack in Bree, dream "a restless bear, an aged crow, a romping elk, four weary boars, a black wolf, and a gray wolfhound. Seven shining stars were hidden by the herd. Over them hung a dark cloud, and within that cloud was a shrieking wind."

As Galian seeks for further rumors about Gorlanc, she learns something concerning: there has been a marked rise in banditry across Bree-Land. The Chetwood has once again become a safe haven for them, but they are acting with a surprising amount of coordination. Bree-Wardens who try pursing them are swiftly deterred by hidden archers, while Rangers who prowl the woodlands often notice patrols. Even Harry Talltree, renowned bandit-hunter, has been put to the test with driving them away from Archet. Fortunately, the Rangers do know of a few points of interest that may be worth investigating.

The first is the Thieves' Glen, a little coppice of woods near the southern entrance to the Combe valley. It's known as an ideal spot for ambushing travelers on the road to Bree, and has from time to time also been a place to hide or stash stolen goods. While no bandit attacks have been reported so close to Bree in years, it's possible that Gorlanc's men have grown so bold as to use it once more. It would be wise to seek out Oswald Breeker, a miserably reclusive yet remarkably wealthy man, for information and assistance.

Another point of interest is the Wood-castle, a spot between Archet and the East Road where a knoll of rough stone rises suddenly out of the forest. The folk of Bree recognize it as a naturally defensible place, where an archer could command the forest as far south as the Road, and three warriors could hold the heights against a thousand. While the folk of Archet have kept a close watch, it is possible that a particularly talented sneak may have set up camp there to observe the comings and goings around Bree. For help with investigation, Harry Talltree should be sought for first.

The last point of interest is the High House, the old ruins of a small castle near the end of Combe valley, about halfway between Combe and Archet. While mostly used by shepherds to protect their sheep during winter or heavy rainstorms, it has been used by brigands in the past as a makeshift stronghold. If Gorlanc's men were to visit there, they could use it as a staging ground for their highway robbery, or worse, a potential raid of the villages. The Bree-Wardens are used to handling the occasional gang of ruffians that trespass there, though none have been nearly as active in recent years as Tad Tillfield. He should be visited before the Company investigates, as he may prove the most useful for insight and support.

Posted (edited)

e81f1c74c43a7a480030cbf6c418648a-3936536441.jpg.a892394205746dd4075c218a066eb6fd.jpgWhen Orn's tale began, the dwarves sat quietly and listened. A few made appropriate noises at various parts of the story: encouraging grunts and smiles at their victories, grim grumbling at their defeats, hearty laughs at the funny parts, and so on. Svior himself was a little less emotive than his kin, but the look in his eye was sharp and astute. When the table fell quiet once more, a smile crossed his bearded lips.

"Orn my lad, you have spoken to us much of the skill of you and your allies in combat. But your cause, I would say, is better chosen than your fights. You've the hardiness and hammer-hand of a warrior, but you've the heart of heroes."

His gaze turned to Orn's warhammer, the family heirloom recovered from the Old Troll's cave.

"You are not the first in your line that I have battled alongside. Aye, in his final years as a warrior, and my earliest, I battled the foes of our people alongside your grandfather in the War of the Dwarves and Orcs. He also spoke of that hammer, Rukhs-barzûl, which was lost in the fall of Khazad-dûm. It was his hope that he would recover it after the Battle of Azanulbizar, but... alas, he perished on the field, his axe having hewn many orc-heads from their bodies. Your father took that axe with him, and I suppose it rests now in Erebor, where it ought. It gladdens my heart to see it restored to its rightful owner."

Svior nodded then, holding the hammer in his eyes for a few moments longer. In that moment, the streaks of grey in his beard seemed pronounced, the wrinkles on his face deepened, and he seemed more akin to the elders of their people than a great captain. The moment passed, and he clasped Orn upon the shoulder with a stony hand, meeting his eyes with renewed vigor. "You have honored his name with your deeds. I bid you to continue doing so, and may all foes of this decent land come to know it's name in fear!"

Lifting a pint, he held it up as a toast, before saying in Khuzdul, "May our fathers be remembered, and may our deeds be worthy of song!" To this, all the other dwarves clanked their mugs to his, cheering, "Hear, hear!"

OOC

OOC: Apologies for the delay, friend! We can continue this scene a bit longer if you'd like, but if not, know that you now have Svior as a Patron! You can call favors from him, or seek his advice, but he may do likewise to you in time.

As a quick reminder, recall that Orn also found a letter within a puzzle-box from Balin meant for Svior's sister, back in the Old Troll's cave. You may turn this over to Svior for the same reward, if you'd like.

@Papa Bear

Edited by rogueblade0729 (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

annawintermoss.PNG.1027d886dc08dd587bccf25f20366aa6.PNGA look of deep concern crossed Hallas' expression as Fletcher recounted the troubling events at the Black Barrow. "Such power is highly unnatural, and reeks of the Enemy's sorceries. The mighty servants of Angmar, and the Witch-king, are known to have called forth spirits in that manner during the wars of our Age. 'Tis why the Barrow-downs are as fell as they are, and why few of us dare tread there for long. Do not delay in finding answers, young Ranger, and do not call on that power again! It will only bring you, and your allies, trouble."

As winter ended and spring came to pass, Fletcher found himself on the doorstep of the schoolhouse. It is located in the East Row, the newest part of Bree, built on land that was once reserved for grazing by caravan-ponies. When Tharbad collapsed and its people fled north, they settled here. As such, many faces in this neighborhood seem foreign to the Ranger, not of the Bree-folk. The air here is also different: less welcoming, less trusting, less Hobbit-like.

The schoolhouse, however, is different different. When Fletcher arrived, the sturdy wooden door nearly flew opened in his face as two dozen youths, both Man and Hobbit, raced from the Schoolhouse to play in the fields higher up the hill. Remaining within, Anna went about organizing the tables and chairs that had been pushed out of place, and setting the books and papers to right. Within the schoolhouse are rows of tables and chairs, and along the walls are rows of bookshelves. Simple candles illuminate the space, though there are enough windows to allow sunlight in from the east and the west. Then, with very little surprise on her face, she patiently turned to Fletcher, who had thus far not made his presence known.

"Well met," she greeted calmly, bowing her head. "Please, come in, sire. How can I be of service?"

Her accent is the strangest of any who dwell in Bree, but Fletcher finds it oddly familiar. Where has he heard it before?

OOC

OOC: Please make a Traditions check as we begin this brief Audience. You may also choose to roll either a History or Insight check, before or after the Traditions check, to see what you can recall about Anna. I think you have a Warden ability that can help you here.

@codexgigas

Edited by rogueblade0729 (see edit history)

spacer.png

AC: 15/17 | HP: 27/27 | HD: 4/4d8 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 17 | Warden's Gift: 3/3 | Discourse 1/1 | Foresight: 1/1
Shadow Points: 3 | DM Inspiration: 1/1

Hallas tells Amdiran nothing that the Ranger did not already fear. "A madness took me, but it is passed," he tells the captain. "I do not wish to use the tablet further. I will take more care to ensure that my companions and I are not caught off guard by servants of the Enemy again."

The journey back to Bree is pleasant, a welcome change from the Ranger's wanderings during Yuletide. Amdiran walks at an easy pace, enjoying the signs of new growth around him. Still, he remains watchful. He has been touched by the Shadow from his experiences in Midgewater, and he wonders if he will ever feel free and at peace again. He keeps a wary eye out on his journey for anything that might be Gorlanc's spy.

Before he heads to the Schoolhouse, Amdiran takes a moment to ask questions to a few of the Bree-men. He wants to understand how the mood is in Bree now that winter is past, as well as anything they might say about the Schoolmistress. She is not someone Amdiran has had many dealings with before.

"Well met," the Ranger says in return to the Schoolmistress' greeting. "I am called Fletcher. I am afraid I come bearing ill tidings. My companions and I found this tablet last year in the Barrow Downs." He pauses to remove the tablet from his pack and place it on a desk for her inspection. "It... called to me a few months back in Midgewater, and shades of Men came in response to my call. I mislike it, but dare not discard it by the wayside. My people advised me to seek you out and to hear your wisdom as to this sorcerous thing."

Tabletop

Amdiran will use his Ever Watchful ability before going to the Schoolhouse.

• Wardens make a point of keeping up with the latest news, both local and from afar, as well as making an effort to know the wise and the powerful. If you can freely wander about an area talking with locals and passing travelers for a few hours, you can make a DC 12 Intelligence (Investigation) check with advantage. Success indicates that you hear all the latest useful rumors, including news of trouble. Failure means you hear all the latest rumors and news, but cannot discern the true from the false. On a success, you can also glean the names, whereabouts, and general appearances of all local influential individuals, households, and factions, as well as well as what livery, colors, and heraldry they typically bear, if any.

Edited by codexgigas (see edit history)
Name
Ever Watchful (Investigation w/ Advantage)
14; 18
1d20+3; 1d20+3 [11]; [11,15]
Insight
1d20+5 11
Traditions
1d20+4 11

annawintermoss.PNG.1027d886dc08dd587bccf25f20366aa6.PNGGondorian. Her accent is Gondorian. The only reason Fletcher can recognize it is because of his time spent around Bregil, who hails from Dol Amroth. Her dark hair and grey eyes seem to match her people's general appearance as well.

The stories Fletcher is told about the Schoolmistress begin in mystery, but are ultimately wholesome in ending. Some time in the year 2941 T.A., Anna Wintermoss arrived in Bree after traveling up the Greenway to the south, pursued by strange men. The presence of the Wardens discouraged them from pursuing further, and they fled into the wild. Anna never spoke about where she came from why the strangers were giving chase, but she never brought any trouble to Bree afterwards.

Upon establishing herself as a scholar, she opened a schoolhouse before year's end, and in time, the Big and the Little Folk came to trust her with their children. She's since become a staple around Bree and seems quite fond of the life she's built here, brief though it has been. However, Anna does have a curious, if concerning, pastime. When not teaching, she has been rumored to walk abroad in search of Bree-land's ruins, including the Barrow-downs. It's almost as if she's looking for something. So far, if she's found anything, she's kept it to herself.

Fletcher's greeting seemed to put her a little more at ease, though her composure hardly wavered. As he spoke to her of the tablet and drew it forth, she took a keen eye to it, studying its runes with an inscrutable expression. ... After a moment, she stepped around the table and drew all the curtains, casting the room in shadow, before bringing several candles to illuminate her desk.

A minute passed in silence after Fletcher finished speaking, the woman quietly studying the tablet. Then, with a slow nod, she finally replied, "You bring me a most curious artifact, Ranger, though dreadful. It draws from unwholesome powers, black magics that should have been lost and forgotten. To see them engraved so is... troubling. Not to mention, in this land of all places. The Barrow-downs contains many cursed treasures, but none such as this one. If my eyes do not deceive me, these engravings are recent, far more recent than any other artifact of its kind. Certainly within our lifetimes, though likely not long ere the fall of the great wyrm in Erebor. Whosoever possesses such skill is not to be trifled with lightly."

Turning her gaze upward, she looked upon the Ranger steadily. "What is it that you wish from me?"

OOC

OOC: If you would like, you can attempt a DC 13 Persuasion check, or similar, to convince Anna Wintermoss to help you. She is qualified to guide you in the Research Lore or Study Magic Items Fellowship Phase undertakings, so if you perform these while in Bree, she is your go-to contact.

If you manage to roll an 18 or higher on your check, avoiding pitfalls in your response (think carefully about what Fletcher should NOT say to her), Anna will work so diligently and almost miraculously fast that you will gain the benefit of ONE of those two undertakings within a few days, AKA by the start of the Adventuring Phase.

On a failure, you will have to wait until the next Fellowship Phase to try convincing her to help you again.

@codexgigas

spacer.png

AC: 15/17 | HP: 27/27 | HD: 4/4d8 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 17 | Warden's Gift: 3/3 | Discourse 0/1 | Foresight: 1/1
Shadow Points: 3 | DM Inspiration: 0/1

What does Amdiran want from Anna? He hasn't actually given sufficient thought to this question. Hallas' advice compelled him to this point. He knows he is beyond his depth with the tablet. Hearing the Schoolmistress confirm his worst fears makes his blood run cold. This is the weakness of my people, he thinks. We are too proud. I have meddled where I should not have, believing myself capable to a task that is beyond me. This is what caused the fall of Numenor of old. Our overweening pride caused Arnor to splinter and each of the successor kingdoms to fall. Have I doomed us?

For a long time, he does not meet Anna's eyes. When he finally does, shame makes his tongue clumsy. He hesitates to speak, and when he does, his words lack their usual conviction. "It was made in our lifetimes? But the shades it called forth were ancient," he stammers. "Will you take it? I do not trust myself with it. It called to me, and I proved myself all too susceptible to its lure. There is a sorcerer who is moving to cause some foul mischief in Eriador, and I fear I have attracted his attention and his ire. The tablet will be safer with you. You can keep it secret and keep it safe. With your aid, my companions and I can track down the sorcerer who created this and put an end to his evil."

Tabletop

Amdiran fails his persuasion check. If possible, I'd like to use his Discourse ability here, knowing that this means it won't be available in the next adventuring phase. I'll go ahead and roll for it, so we don't have to wait for me to roll if you allow this. Anna gets to make an opposed wisdom saving throw to the discourse check. If she fails, she becomes friendly toward Amdiran.

Alright, I spent Inspiration and called upon Amdiran's Hope ("I give comfort to my allies--it is possible to strike a blow against the Shadow.") to get the Persuasion check up to a 17. I'll leave it you to do decide if this is the straight Persuasion check or the Discourse feature.

Edited by codexgigas (see edit history)
Name
Persuasion
1d20+7 3
Discourse: Persuasion w/ Advantage
10; 9
1d20+7; 1d20+7 [3]; [3,2]
Inspiration
1d20+7 7
Hope
1d4 3

annawintermoss.PNG.1027d886dc08dd587bccf25f20366aa6.PNGAnna held Fletcher in her stormy eyes, keen and piercing. He can almost sense the shadows in his mind being unveiled, witnessed in their fullness by this woman. After a time, her expression softened, and she placed her hands on the artifact

"Very well, Fletcher. I cannot promise to hold this thing forever, but I will secret it away as best I can. Know that its mark, its curse, is still upon you, for you were the last to wield it. But as with all curses, it can be broken. How that can be done, I will learn in due time. Be wary, Ranger, for this sorcerer will likely not rest until he has claimed it back from you... or me."

Sliding the tablet into a leather pack, she threw open the curtains once more, allowing the wholesome spring sun to fill the schoolhouse in its warm glow. As she went to blow out the candles, she paused a moment before asking, "This sorcerer... what is his name?"

OOC

OOC: Alright, you have earned yourself an ally! We can say that, since you used Inspiration, you do not expend Discourse.

Anna will hold on to the Black Tablet for the time being, and you may visit her again during the next Fellowship Phase to either Study Magic Items or Research Lore. As a reminder, you have several items in your possession that are magical (Fletcher's sword, Leofwyn's new ring, the Black Tablet) but you won't know their qualities (or curses) until you perform the Study Magic Items undertaking.

@codexgigas

spacer.png

Shadow Points: 3 | DM Inspiration: 0/1

Amdiran nods as Anna agrees to take possession of the tablet. "Thank you, Schoolmistress," he says, turning to leave. He pauses as Anna asks for the sorcerer's name. "It is Gorlanc. Does that mean anything to you?" he asks, waiting for a response.

As night falls, Amdiran reaches the borders of the Chetwood. Some premonition spurred him here following his conversation with Anna that morning. As he crosses the borders of the forest, a feeling of peace fills him. Beneath the spreading branches, he feels as if he is, at least for this moment, hidden from the Shadow's eye. As he makes his way into the wood, he enters a small clearing. Three hooded figures stand on the far side. Amdiran smiles. He somehow knew they would be waiting for him. He pauses for a moment, and then begins to walk toward the center of the clearing, as the others walk toward him.

They meet in the middle. The central figure is the shortest, wearing a cloak of dark green wool. To their right is the tallest of the three, thin and wearing a grey cloak of fine, elven make. The figure to the left wears a green woolen cloak and stands almost as tall as the elven-cloaked one. As one, they remove their hoods, revealing the faces beneath. Amdiran removes his hood as well, glad to see faces he has not seen in a long time.

He looks at the center figure, a woman with dark brown hair threaded with grey. "Mother," he says. He looks at the tall figure, clearly one of the Eldar now that he has removed the hood of his cloak. "Elatan." He addresses the third figure, another Dunedain man. "Bergil." Three figures from his past. Each one served as a mentor. Ioreth, daughter of Aliel, burns with a fierce fire, even by the reckoning of the Dunedain. From her, Amdiran learned to never give up, even when the Shadow lays darkest. Elatan has been a companion on many of Amdiran's hunts. Together, they slew the orcs who killed Amdirgir and Arathorn II. Bergil taught Amdiran swordplay years ago. Thinking of their practice with wooden swords, Amdiran feels the ghosts of bruises which the older man gave him. Following Amdirgir's death, Bergil has become something of a surrogate father to him.

"The time has come, Amdiran, son of Amdirgir," Ioreth says, her voice filled with pride. "You have proven yourself worthy of your inheritance." From beneath the folds of her cloak, she produces a finely carved wooden box. Amdiran knows at once what lies inside. The box was made an age of Middle Earth ago, carved from a tree of Numenor before the Shadow fell upon that land. He last saw it in his father's hands. Tears gather unbidden at the corners of Amdiran's eyes.

As Ioreth opens the box, revealing the silver gleam of a finely wrought brooch, Elatan speaks. "Long has the Nénaro Eccacia been safeguarded by my Lord in Rivendell. The time has come for the heir of the Stewards to bear it once more." The elf takes the box from Ioreth, allowing her to remove the brooch. A single gem burns with its own inner light in the center of the artefact. With tender hands, Ioreth tenderly unpins the iron brooch from Amdiran's cloak and replaces it with the silver one. Amdiran does not need to look down to know the image the brooch bears. A single bird, flying over a rough sea toward a ship where a figure waits.

Amdiran speaks at last. "From Sirion the Wave-Lord, Ulmo, bore her from the waters; in wingéd form he saved her, Elwing, Dior's daughter. Upon her breast the Silmaril shone, and by its mingled light alone, she came to Eárendil, her love." In childhood, his fingers often traced those words, which are inscribed around the edge of the brooch in the High Elven speech and the speech of Numenor. His voice is thick with emotion. Bergil meets his eyes, smiling silently. Amdiran can feel the older man's pride.

Ioreth raises her hand, gently brushing Amdiran's cheek. She kisses him where he hand has touched. "You look like your father," she says, her voice quiet, for Amdiran's ear's alone.

Now the tears come. Amdiran wraps his arms around his mother, just as Ioreth did to him when he was a child. "I hope he would be proud of me," he whispers. Ioreth says huskily, "I know he is." Amdiran can feel her tears against his tunic.

In the morning, Amdiran returns to Bree. The Seal of Saradon, the sign of the Stewards of Arnor, burns upon his breast. He is tired, but happier than he has felt in a long time. He, Ioreth, Eletan, and Bergil spent the night in conversation. Amdiran will ponder what was spoken to him for weeks, if not months. He has always known that a doom lies upon him, as it has upon all of his house. Now he feels ready to meet it, and to prove to Gorlanc, and the Shadow the sorcerer serves, that the flame of Westernesse has not died out in the lands of the North.

Tabletop

annawintermoss.PNG.1027d886dc08dd587bccf25f20366aa6.PNGAnna purses her lips as Fletcher directs that last question at her. After a long moment of silence, she simply answered, "That name is known within many shadows across Middle-earth, for he is a villain of no small repute. I shall not speak of his deeds in Wilderland, or the South. But to think he has come so far to trouble these humble folk, after so many years... Be careful, ranger. Your people warded these lands from him once before, but I fear that this time, it will not be so easy."

OOC

OOC: Do with that response what you will! And that was a very beautifully written scene between some of his closest relations and comrades.

With that, we will bring this Fellowship Phase to a close. On to the adventure!

@codexgigas