Character Creation & Discussion

Sellsword

Welcome! Took a look at your thief, those rolls are pretty solid. Interested to see where you stick the 6!

No worries about not playing 2e for a while, we can walk through encounter stuff slowly as a group the first time something happens. Outside of combat, the rules should fade into the background.

That makes us right around the same age! 2e is definitely an under-appreciated system, hoping to find a few others willing to dive back in!

Heh, the rolls are pretty close to the average, so we know the dice randomizer is working. I'll probably put that 6 in Charisma--he's still a spoiled brat at heart and his thick Damaran accent doesn't help people connect with him. Thankfully his crew has had to put up with him long enough to understand his charms. 😬

Hi, really interested in getting back into some good old AD&D for a change. I've put in a placeholder for a character and will aim to develop it over the next few days.

I may need a bit of help and advice on both 2e rules and on working the MW dice roller (not used it yet).

Welcome, and happy to answer any rules questions you might have! Will also try to help with any dice roller questions, though others on the site might have better information than I can provide.

Hello! I am also interested in partaking; the synopsis sounds compelling, and as a fellow work-poster I like the prescribed pace. I'm currently playing 1e, 3.5 and 5e, although I'm a big fan of the baldur's gate series which I believe was mostly based around 2e so I'm sure I'll work it out.

Is there anything in particular you want to steer clear of? In my game I've limited the party races to a select few, and I've been in games where certain classes were strongly discouraged (ie. monk or paladin). There's also 2e splat material, such as the psionics handbook or complete fighter's handbook, although I think core is more than enough for a fun game. Just good to get an idea before I start daydreaming about character creation.

Edit. just seen the sources allowed section. Got it!

Edited by Arbuthnott (see edit history)

Well, I found the guide to using the dice roller and that seems to have worked, so far so good...

Are we applying any further modifiers, such as race and/or age, to the ability scores?

Welcome @Arbuthnott! You nailed it, excluding much of the splat material for this campaign, so no monks or psionicists. I included Forgotten Realms Adventures as it has specialty priests which really add flavor, especially since deities are such an integral part of the setting.

As for the rest, not setting any limits. The Forgotten Realms in general is pretty cosmopolitan, so the PHB races shouldn't have much of a problem fitting in. The Dalelands especially are home to many an adventurer, so dwarves/halflings/elves wouldn't be out of the ordinary at all.

@Lord Foul modifiers would be added to the rolls, yes. I've never used age modifiers personally, but if you're compelled to use them I'm fine with it.

Didn't remember until just now, but added another optional rule for hit points. At first level, characters receive maximum hit points. We've always done it this way at the table, it helps increase survivability at lower levels. You're destined to be heroic, after all!

Question on starting money and equipment.

You say in the overview roll for starting funds as normal. So are we starting with 1st level funds/equipment or is there some kind of progression to account for our adventures to date?

I've been reading up on the rules and am now leaning towards a single-class human fighter, so things like what kind of armour I can have are important now.

Same table as initial character funds at first level.

image.png.2c6ccf92c00d9006884b6599e6edbfd7.png

I wouldn't sweat it too much if you can't buy into a low armor class early on--there will be opportunities to acquire other gear throughout the adventure.

I have no personal experience of the Forgotten Realms setting, so as far as a background blurb I'm not going to be able to be specific about places and stuff. Hopefully, if I can keep it fairly generic you can swap in relevant details as appropriate, or I may be able to pick up links to use from other characters' bios.