Q & A

Aspekt

Welp, seems like my character is good enough for review.

Plus, i have a small question. Since criminal background have a Criminal Contact feature, may i ask to have some corrupted reliable person for certain info leaks from the company to ask something like "is that mission reliable enough or company want to get rid of me?" Or to ask where my character could get certain stuff that cannot be bought in legal way via letter or in person? Some sort of advisor to ask something or to get/sell something when its possible to share the message through someone or flying pet or totally not suspicious magic diary/device which used for communication.

I feel like this mechanic is quite fitting for character story and can be used for several more knives cause it can be even some sort of artifact or even small demon, some sort of curse, or my character for whatever reason doesn't know who is the other entity is and just find it useful enough to rely on.

Another thing, i intentionally skipped former ally names for simplicity and the fact that my character may guess who it is, but may not be 100% sure because it was a pretty long time ago, so it could end up as another way to get some knives.

Like " That walker reminds me someone yet im not sure who it is. Im certain its dead yet but i don't think like i want to check my guess. I have a very fishy feeling about this thing."

Or "Damn, is that guy is really him? Not sure. Yet im certain he wouldn't be happy recognising me in the crowd if its really the one im thinking about...."

Edited by Moturnach (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Aspekt said:

@ResidualRose @RedRajah

fair point to bring up, it doesn’t bother me to have two characters who are similar, especially because it can help for you to want to play into the differences. And especially if you choose to go with the barbarian variant, it could definitely set the two apart.

What do each of you think?

Well, as I said, I'm hoping to go into Path of the Totem (wolf) if I survive to lvl3. Tseren leans into the barbarian archtype with the Big Horkin' Two-Hander Greataxe.

Edited by RedRajah (see edit history)

On 2/1/2024 at 12:15 AM, Moturnach said:

\Since criminal background have a Criminal Contact feature, may i ask to have some corrupted reliable person for certain info leaks from the company to ask something like "is that mission reliable enough or company want to get rid of me?" Or to ask where my character could get certain stuff that cannot be bought in legal way via letter or in person?

Absolutely, why don't you invent an NPC here in town that will act as your contact.

For the purposes of the story, please invent a merchant/craftsman/artisan in town, along with their shop. They shouldn't be a part of the Mercenary Company itself. This person will be the one who you drop off messages with, and who you pick up messages from. You'll probably also have to invent the "coded phrase" that allows you to each identify yourselves.

Is the prologue going to be canon?

Tasty mystery meat seems a good resale good, especially if it's addictive or got some kind of dark price that needs an antidote after - double sales! Plus double questing from an ooc point of view

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

18 hours ago, Aspekt said:

Absolutely, why don't you invent an NPC here in town that will act as your contact.

For the purposes of the story, please invent a merchant/craftsman/artisan in town, along with their shop. They shouldn't be a part of the Mercenary Company itself. This person will be the one who you drop off messages with, and who you pick up messages from. You'll probably also have to invent the "coded phrase" that allows you to each identify yourselves.

I posted my idea about contact in character test topic. I think former paladin that ended up as weapon shop merchant due to betrayal of nobles might be a cool idea, plus Clairborne have its own interest in helping him getting his revenge.

*sounds of additional knives falling into pile*

Dear @Aspekt

I'm aware you only allowed PHB and DMG, but I gotta ask. Can I take the optional replacements for the ranger class as described in Tasha's Caldron for Everything?

I would like to trade Primeval Awareness for the Primal Awareness, Favorite enemy for the Favored Foe. Natural explorer. For example.

@Coruja for now I’d like to stick with the options available to you in the players handbook! Perhaps when we go to get into future games someone will buy me a copy of Tasha’s so I can look at all this stuff and have a better handle on it.

I could show you my copy, but it's not in English. Alternatively, I can show you a site for quick reference. I'm pretty positive I want the hunter ranger path. I just wanted to take the above mentioned variations.

I'm sorry. Apparently, the worldly known website I was referring to is considered illegal. I didn't know since it's online for so long that any illegal thing would have met justice already. Again my apologize. And with that I'll just stick to standard ranger, as terrible as it is.

Edited by Coruja
IP Violating Website Removed (see edit history)

On 2/3/2024 at 4:04 AM, PureChance said:

Is the prologue going to be canon?

I suppose it can be as canon as we want it to be. I never intended for it to be hard-and-fast story, but more just a space for us to mess around and learn formatting and character voice and style. I think it's definitely served that purpose. If you want to keep something from the prologue you're more than welcome, and I think a lot of the NPC's and locations that were created will continue to exist in the main game.

I've basically finished my character so far. I have a question and a request thought.

Question

Can we sell our starting equipment for book price so we can buy what we actually want? I know we already got a bonus 100 gp, but that doesn't cover all the changes. For example, if I buy armor, will I end up with two sets of armor? Alternatively, if you don't like the selling starting equipment thing, we can always roll for starting gold. What would be your choice, if any?

Request

Since we are level two characters, can we start the game with a single common or uncommon magic item? You may even restrict it to "no weapon".

2 hours ago, Coruja said:

Can we sell our starting equipment for book price so we can buy what we actually want?

Yes, this seems fair since your characters already have had some adventuring experience, and would have had a chance to trade these things in for what they really need.

2 hours ago, Coruja said:

Since we are level two characters, can we start the game with a single common or uncommon magic item?

This seems like a fair request, and I'd be ok with everyone starting the game with a single uncommon item. I like the "no weapons" restriction. I plan for exploration, intrigue, and infiltration to be equally as important in the story as combat, so choosing a non-weapon item will hopefully provide more interesting options for everyone! I do want @scootloops to weigh in, if this is ok by them.

9 minutes ago, Aspekt said:

Yes, this seems fair since your characters already have had some adventuring experience, and would have had a chance to trade these things in for what they really need.

This seems like a fair request, and I'd be ok with everyone starting the game with a single uncommon item. I like the "no weapons" restriction. I plan for exploration, intrigue, and infiltration to be equally as important in the story as combat, so choosing a non-weapon item will hopefully provide more interesting options for everyone! I do want @scootloops to weigh in, if this is ok by them.

I’m totally fine with this