Cizire's Show

Lycar

Sorena Ortho - Traitor to Cheliaximage.png.73e99a978c4b7df994947632c26cbd7a.png

checked-shield.svg AC: 19health-normal.svg HP: 44/44 | bicep, biceps, fitness, muscle, power, strength, strong Fortitude: +11 | sprint.svg Reflex: +8 | calm, peace, yoga, serene, serenity, mind, meditate, meditation, peaceful Will: +7 | awareness.svg Perception: +5

account, add, follow, new, plus, profile, user Conditions:

Sorena was trying to follow along, but there were a lot of words being thrown around. She had a keen mind, but for most of her life that mind had been dedicated to the understanding of metals, alloys, and the mastery of the forge. Such understanding manifested itself in her magic, her pyromancy and ferromancy. In these things she was an expert, though still young and unpracticed in her power. Other types of magic though? She understood the basics, but her experience was limited to what she'd read. She had no practically ability to wield illusions or other such magics.

"Do any of you... you know... train in magic that isn't battlemagic?"

She was still awkward speaking publicly, clearly not used to being the center of attention.

"Do you war with these other factions, Banana of the Kholo?"

Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)

%5Btable%3D2%2C1%5D%20%5Br%3D1%2C1%5D%5BIMG2%3D150%5Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fog.myth-weavers.com%2Fattachment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D101183%26d%3D1629905609%5B%2FIMG2%5D%0A%5Br%3D2%2C1%5D%5Bfieldset%3DMac%20T%C3%ADre%5D%5BB%5D%5BURL%3D%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.myth-weavers.com%2Fsheet.html%23id%3D2505803%22%5DMac%20T%C3%ADre%5B%2FURL%5D%5B%2FB%5D%20%0A%5Bb%5DHP%3A%5B%2Fb%5D38%2F38%20-%5Bb%5D%20AC%3A%20%5B%2Fb%5D20%0A%5Bb%5DConditions%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%0A%5Bb%5DHero%20Points%3A%203%5B%2Fb%5D%20%20%20%0A%5Bb%5DSpells%20prepared%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%20Electric%20Arc%2C%20Stabilise%0A%5B%2Ffieldset%5D%5B%2Ftable%5D
attachment.php?attachmentid=101183&d=1629905609
Mac Tíre
Mac Tíre
HP:38/38 - AC: 20
Conditions:
Hero Points: 3
Spells prepared: Electric Arc, Stabilise
3 hours ago, TheRaconteur said:
"Do any of you... you know... train in magic that isn't battlemagic?"

Mac looks up from the item he just finished describing to Chezire and answers "Yeah, sure. In fact, I hope to learn some curse-breaking magic. And, uh, the usual rituals Druids are supposed to perform and stuff. But yeah, healing magic. Although I'm apparently, like, an 'earth type' and should do well with earth and plant magic. 'Cept I don't really see it. Didn't get past cantrips yet. And, well, with all the stuff that happened, I always memorize Electric Arc. And Stabilise. So yeah."

"Thing is, curses are tricky. From what I gather, they affect a being's spirit form. But neither arcane no primal magic deal with the spirit essence. Only matter, mind and life. So I'm a bit at a loss there. But it's okay. I'm struggling even with the basics of primal magic, never mind wrapping my mind about arcana. Working on it though. Maybe I'll 'get it' one day."

Posted (edited)
On 2/25/2024 at 2:34 PM, Lycar said:

However, Chezire's glace drifts over to the big object hidden under a sheet near the back of the room, and if his twitching tail is any indication, he is quite curious about that. So eventually, he just asks the student right next to him "Hey, wanna do that big thing over there next? Looks interesting, don't you think?"

"Uh...", replies Mac, looking up from scribbling down his observations made about an artefact, that for all intents and purposes just a metal drinking flask. Comes with 4 metals cups to drink out of though, which Mac finds neat. "Yeah, sue, why not, I can finish this thing later."

So Mac follows as Chezire practically bounds over to the covered object, and helps him take off the sheet without making a mess of it, while Oukush looks over with a frown.

The object reveals itself to be a large mirror, with a very ornate wooden framing. Mac kneels in front of it and peers into it curiously, wondering "Huh. I wonder if that is one of those magical divination mirrors I keep hearing about..."

The Mirror

mirror.jpg.69859fb1334d61e28e73e2d85470f580.jpg

Edited by Lycar (see edit history)

"We warred long ago. Many generations back. But we learned to live in the Mwangi, and they did not. Their raids met less and less success, so they eventually decided to not pursue us any more. As for the kholo tribes - no more than any other race. Occasionally, there is a dispute over territory, hunting rights, or somebody deciding to skip courtship and just run off with the one they desire. But our communities are small and mobile enough that we don't need a standing army."

"As for magics...well, magi are inherently martial. So my focus is on combat magics. But I have been learning spells with more mundane utility, as well. I'm already thinking of ways the tribe could utilize some of them, like getting to fruits that are normally too high in the trees for us to reach before the monkeys and birds claim them."

Banana perks up as the mirror is revealed. Being a woodcarver at heart, he immediately starts investigating the carvings on the frame.

"Hmm. Definitely masterwork quality. It doesn't surprise me, considering this is a magical object. And likely the carvings give some hint as to its function, since you can't really do too much with altering the glass or silver in a mirror."

image.png.7b6bd332dafe410397d3099ef34f05c3.png

Sweet Tooth - Catfolk Thaumaturge 3

HP: 35/35 | AC: 18 | Speed: 25ft | Hero: 2/3 

Perception: +7 Low Light Vision | Fort: +8 | Ref: +9 | Will: +7 

Statistics | Equipment | Abilities | Skills

Conditions :

Sweet Tooth eyed the mirror from a distance.

"Careful with magic mirrors. They can be dangerous. I have heard tales of mirrors that show the worst reflection to people, that trap souls and ones that transport them to other places. If you are swapped with a doppelganger we might not find out for a long time, and you may never be freed. Or maybe it just has a built in light spell so you can see clearly?"

She yawns to herself and watches passively.

After a bit of examination, Banana blinks, and then realizes what the glass is showing of Mac's reflection. Not the human Mac, but the one who is both wolf and man.

"Okay. Now that is kind of interesting. I wonder if it does the same thing for those people I've read about that change into a little red dog...what are they called again? Kitsune, that's it! Or if it does the same thing for people who have disguised themselves with an illusion?"

As Mac kneels in front of the mirror and examines his altered reflection curiously, Chezire first looks on lazily, then suddenly does a double-take and his gaze flips between Mac and his reflection a few times.

Of the others, only Banana seems to have noticed something odd about Mac's mirror image, at least he is the only one speaking up about it.

Chezire, on the other hand, seems so enthralled with the view that he does not seem to hear Banana and instead raps Mac on his head and exclaims "Mac! Look! This mirror is showing your wolfman form! How awesome is that."

"Ow! What gives!?", replies Mac, rubbing his head and looking a bit hurt, "Yes, I noticed, why do you think I asked if that is one of those divination mirrors?! At least Banana seems to have noticed too..."

The Mirror

mirror.jpg.69859fb1334d61e28e73e2d85470f580.jpg

Looking up from his paperwork, Oukush frowns a bit, but takes an interest in the situation and approaches the mirror himself, pushing past any students.

"Ah. Now that is interesting... So you must be Mac Tíere then. Takulu's boy. Wait, that would make you", Oukush says, then looks between the other cohort members, "Stalwart Banana, Uh... Sweet Tooth, right? And that means you are Omolara and... ah, hah, last but not least, Sorena Ortho, the 'Iron Maiden'. Your command of metal is pretty advanced for a mere student", he finishes with a chuckle.

Taking a closer look at both Mac and his reflection, Oukush mumbles "So that's why Tzeniwe had a bit of a fright when she stumbled across it... poor dear..."

Straightening himself up, Oukush beams "Now this is an interesting learning experience. I hope your arcane studies are up to snuff. Who of you can explain the difference between a glamer and a pattern, and why none of those apply in this case? "

52257768655_92d032d51b_h.jpg
Omolara

Ancestry: Human | Heritage: Half-elf | Class: Ranger | Background: Sponsored By A Stranger

Rank: Attendant | Primary branch: Rain-Scribe (lvl 4) | Secondary branch: Uzunjati (lvl 1)

HP: 56/56 | Hero Points: 2 | Application | Character sheet
Cantrips (2): root reading, stabilize | Spells (1): weaken earth
Focus Points: 2/2 | Focus Spells: animal feature, gravity weapon

Condition(s):

Omalara racked her brain. The image clearly wasn't a phantasm since all of them clearly saw it. But why couldn't it be a glamer or a pattern? In the end, she sadly concluded that she had no clue.

Edited by Ulysses Dare (see edit history)
Name
Arcana roll
1d20+7 2

Sweet Tooth - Catfolk Thaumaturge 3

HP: 35/35 | AC: 18 | Speed: 25ft | Hero: 2/3 

Perception: +7 Low Light Vision | Fort: +8 | Ref: +9 | Will: +7 

Conditions :

Sweet Tooth considered the question.

"Not a Glamer, or a pattern?"

Name
Arcana
1d20+8 20

Sorena Ortho - Traitor to Cheliaximage.png.73e99a978c4b7df994947632c26cbd7a.png

checked-shield.svg AC: 19health-normal.svg HP: 44/44 | bicep, biceps, fitness, muscle, power, strength, strong Fortitude: +11 | sprint.svg Reflex: +8 | calm, peace, yoga, serene, serenity, mind, meditate, meditation, peaceful Will: +7 | awareness.svg Perception: +5

account, add, follow, new, plus, profile, user Conditions:

She avoided the mirror diligently, having no desire to get cursed. 

She was mostly relieved to learn that she was not the only one to struggle to get past the most basic forms of magic. When it came to the manipulation of fire and metal, there was very little she couldn't do. She could fill the very air about her with flames, and she was confident that she could do so with such precision that only those whom she wished to be burned would feel the heat. Mastering anything outside of that took months though, whereas with so many others all magic seemed come to them as naturally as ferromancy and pyromancy did her. 

"Is it really a curse then, Mac?"

She wasn't sure what she was trying to say. 

"I don't consider my natural magic a curse, but it was something that was awoken within me, not something I pursued."

She'd had to die for it, though she'd not told them that. 

Posted (edited)
%5Btable%3D2%2C1%5D%20%5Br%3D1%2C1%5D%5BIMG2%3D150%5Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fog.myth-weavers.com%2Fattachment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D101183%26d%3D1629905609%5B%2FIMG2%5D%0A%5Br%3D2%2C1%5D%5Bfieldset%3DMac%20T%C3%ADre%5D%5BB%5D%5BURL%3D%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.myth-weavers.com%2Fsheet.html%23id%3D2505803%22%5DMac%20T%C3%ADre%5B%2FURL%5D%5B%2FB%5D%20%0A%5Bb%5DHP%3A%5B%2Fb%5D48%2F48%20-%5Bb%5D%20AC%3A%20%5B%2Fb%5D21%0A%5Bb%5DConditions%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%0A%5Bb%5DHero%20Points%3A%203%5B%2Fb%5D%20%20%20%0A%5Bb%5DSpells%20prepared%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%20Timber%2C%20Stabilise%0A%5B%2Ffieldset%5D%5B%2Ftable%5D
attachment.php?attachmentid=101183&d=1629905609
Mac Tíre
Mac Tíre
HP:48/48 - AC: 21
Conditions:
Hero Points: 3
Spells prepared: Timber, Stabilise

At Sorena's confession, Mac looks a bit puzzled before he replies "Uhh... I've been spared the curse of lycanthrophy. Although, technically, I am a wolf-man. Or man-wolf. It's just, like I don't get compelled to eat people on a full moon. And the whole shape-shifting thing is kinda neat, although, you know, I can't turn into a real wolf. Although, I guess, as a real wolf I also wouldn't have people smarts. So there is that."

Pondering Oukush's question, Mac tries to remember what he learned about arcane magic and illusions...

"Uh... isn't that if a spell puts a fake image up or if it makes people believe to see things? Except, I'm, like, actually shifting shape and not just looking like I do, so that isn't illusionary at all. So, uh, how does the mirror know then?"

Name
Arcana
1d20+8 14

Oukush waits patiently for the heroes to come up with an answer, but eventually he just goes and explains "Hrmph, at least some of you seem to have paid attention in class.

Yes, a glamer spell changes a subject’s sensory qualities, making it look, feel, taste, smell, or sound like something else, or even seem to disappear. An Invisibility spell is a glamer for example. Can't see the object, but can still bump into it. Doesn't compel people not to engage with the target. Such an illusion can be defeated simply by interacting with it."

"A pattern on the other hand... a pattern spell creates an image that others can see, but a pattern also affects the minds of those who see it or are caught in it. All patterns are mind-affecting spells. And thus are useless against mindless creatures. The insidious part is that those caught in such a spell can't just try to overcome the effect by interacting with the pattern. Their minds fooled, they will see, hear and even feel what the pattern dictates. And would subconsciously act in a way to support the illusion. Like not leaning against a pattern of a wall for example."

"Oh and here's a tip: Since patterns are a mental effect, there is a way to defeating them: They can trick you in seeing a reflection of the pattern as the pattern. You know, because it fools the mind into believing. But! It can not make you see the pattern in the reflection of a reflection. Of course, you would need to have two reflective surfaces in the correct position. And the presence of mind to actually remember that little fact. So that hardly comes up."

"Ah ha, but all that matters not in the case of your Beastkin friend here, also not for the Anadi, for their transformation is not an illusion at all, but very real. How this mirror then manages to show a reflection of the subject's 'true' form? Hmm, yes, who can name the four magical essences, and who can guess which one is at work here? Anyone?", Oukush finishes, looking among the assembled students expectantly.

"Oh, Mac and I had a discussion about this a few months back. The four essences are Mind, Matter, Spirit, and Life. So, since this is showing the spiritual essence of Mac - the identity of his soul - this mirror is likely made using either occult or divine magics."

Posted (edited)

After nodding approvingly to Banan's explanation, Oukush again waits patiently to see if any of the other students have anything to add. Then he looks at Chezire and asks him "Well Chezire? You are their senior, don't you have more to say maybe? I know you have been dabbling in the occult."

Looking a bit flustered, Chezire replies "What? Banana has the right of it, if the mirror sees past physical shape-shifting, then it must be something involving spirit magic to show a being's 'true self'. And only divine and occult magic deal with that."

"That is all nice and well, but what about the Truesight spell then? It allows to see past illusions and morph and polymorph effects, and that one is very much part of both arcane and primal traditions, without dealing with spirit essence. In fact, all four traditions have that spell! In theory the actual spell formula is quite different for each of them, but the practical effect is the same: The spell reveals the cold, harsh truth about the subject or object you are looking at.

Remember pupils: We primarily use our eyes to perceive the world, but eyes only ever see the surface, it is up to us to learn the magic required to see past it", Oukush lectures.

"... Harsh reflections tell the truth... eyes just scratch the surface...", Chezire mutters, obviously chasing some thought, his tail swishing lazily.

"Err, what about curses then? I have looked into that, and only the divine and occult traditions seem to be able to break a curse, but not arcane or primal one?", Mac speaks up, looking confused, "I mean, if, like, arcane and primal magic can see past shape-shifting even without spirit essence involved, what's with curses?"

"What indeed? Perhaps that is for you to learn, this place is a school after all. However, I advise that you do not focus on that one subject exclusively, magic is what holds the world together, and to understand it, you must take an holistic approach. Only then will you understand how things are connected", Oukush replies, adding "so who of you is going to see what spell tradition does lie on this mirror then? At least as far as the frame's carvings are concerned, they do not depict any obvious religious iconography." 

Again Oukush looks at the students having prepared the Read Aura cantrip today.Casting the cantrip reveals a strong occult aura.

Sweeth Tooth - Catfolk Thaumaturge 4

HP: 44/44 | AC: 19 | Speed: 25ft | Hero: 2/3 | Spell Slots: 1/1 

Perception: +8 Low Light Vision | Fort: +9 | Ref: +10 | Will: +9 

Conditions :

Sweet Tooth frowned

"I can Detect Magic, but I don't know how to Read Auras! I think with more practice I could detect the school of magic too. Maybe I should spend some of my time and money expanding my spell book.."

With no way to determine the magic using her own spells, she investigates closer with keen eyes, and smell. She tries to remember what she knows from her years of study at the Occult Library.

Name
Esoteric
1d20+12 16