Daermiir "Miir" Benhiln - Dwarf Ranger

You are a new recruit of the "Silver Hawk Company", a mercenary group that provides services to people in need here on the Borderlands. The Silver Hawks are reasonably well known among the common folk, with about 200 of them being members at any one time. Their ranks include people from all different backgrounds; soldiers, healers, scribes, spies, rangers. Life on the Borderlands is hard, and from time to time they need to ... replenish ... the ranks from a job gone wrong.

Characters that work well with others will be more likely to be chosen for this campaign.

General Creation Rules

• Starting Level: 2
  • Ability Scores: Standard Array
  • Equipment: Starting equipment for class + 100 gp to be spent/saved as seen fit on mundane items.
  • Allowed Sources: 5th Edition Players Handbook, 5th Edition DM's Guide. I want to explore the 5th edition core books in more depth, and perhaps in later games we can open up to other sources.

I would prefer to start with interesting character concepts, and then work out the mechanics of those characters. In each character's application please include:

• Character's Name, Age, and Profession
  • Character Stats: Doesn't have to be a full character sheet, but it should cover generalities such as race/species, class, ability scores, starting spells, and background.
  • Portrait: A picture speaks 1,000 words.
  • Physical Description (1-2 paragraphs): What does your character look and sounds like? How do they dress, equip, and carry themself? What unique mannerism do they have?
  • Personality (1-2 paragraphs): Why did your character apply for a mercenary company? What motivates them to get out of bed each morning? What are their quirks, their fears, their flaws, what makes them intriguing regardless of the situation? What challenges them and what do they in turn challenge? Please don't just copy snippets from the Bonds/Flaws/Ideals block of the PHB.
  • Background (7-12, Knives Approach): Give 7-12 knives, found HERE. These are bullet points, quick 1-2 sentence descriptions to give the hook, not a full essay. Long, drawn out backstories aren't as useful to a GM as emotional "loose ends". Remember that the character needs a motivation to take part in whatever the specific game's story/theme is.

• What do you expect from this game?
  • What do you expect from me (The GM?)
  • What do you expect from other players?

Daermiir "Miir" Benhiln

100 years old, Hill Dwarf ranger.

• Str: 8
  • Dex: 14
  • Con: 14
  • Int: 13
  • Wis: 16
  • Cha: 10

Spells:

• Absorb Elements
  • Ensnaring Strike

Background: Hermit

Background Feature: Discovery

The quiet seclusion of your extended hermitage gave you access to a unique and powerful discovery. The exact nature of this revelation depends on the nature of your seclusion. It might be a great truth about the cosmos, the deities, the powerful beings of the outer planes, or the forces of nature. It could be a site that no one else has ever seen. You might have uncovered a fact that has long been forgotten, or unearthed some relic of the past that could rewrite history. It might be information that would be damaging to the people who consigned you to exile, and hence the reason for your return to society.

Work with your DM to determine the details of your discovery and its impact on the campaign.

Knives

• Daermiir has taken a solemn view not to speak, and gets defensive if it is mocked or belittled. However, he is friendly and social, happy to listen, help, or use sign language with those who understand it.
  • His older sister was executed for treason by the Dwarven government.
  • He is part of a secret Dwarven society. They are outlawed, and he must protect them and knowledge of his involvement with them.
  • He joined because of discontent with the current state of affairs in the Dwarven homeland. Particularly, he/the organization wants to bring democracy to the kingdom.
  • As part of the initiation process, he spent a decade alone on the far side of the Razorspine mountains prior to the storms clearing. He developed a respect bordering on love for the hostile land, and has little patience for any who show a lack of respect for it.
  • During his time alone, he discovered a fabled grove that the society is sworn to destroy. However, on finding it he decided that he must instead protect it at all costs.
  • His best friend in the society is the most hell-bent on destroying that grove.
  • His family doesn't know of his involvement, and at least his dad (an ardant supporter of the monarchy) would almost certainly disown him.
  • The society assigned him to join The Silver Hawk Company and report on their activities. They do the same with other such groups working in the borderlands now that the storms have cleared.

Appearance

primevalstasis_a_grizzled_but_friendly_warrior_his_face_shadowe_7c8c6da4-8d0c-4e81-a6ab-4b26f0678a12.png.eff1288a3e61abca1152908a1188fac6.pngDaermiir has greyed before his years, making him distinguished among Dwarves. His face bears hard lines from deep thought and concentration, and scars from his years living alone in the borderlands. His bearing and habits mark him as stoic, but a broad smile can beam beneath his bushy beard. And if one can look past the hard years and gruff brows, a twinkle of kindness can be seen in his eyes.

He carries a shield, large enough to be of use, but small enough to still allow for easy movement through the forest. He doesn't get attached to them - his current shield is one of dozens he has gone through. However, his axe is a precious thing. While the head has chipped and dulled at times, it can always be repaired or replaced. But the handle is made of a limb given him by the sacred grove.

Personality

Most of the time, a weight can be felt upon Daermiir, a certain gravity in his eyes and countenance. Only in silence amongst the beauty of nature does it seem to lighten a little. He expects that The Silver Hawk Company will help him get the money and martial training he needs; but deep down he also hopes to find others who might aid him in his private quest so that he will no longer carry his weight alone. Being naturally friendly, he does his best to make friends and leave a good impression. The same seriousness he has - as well as his good listening ear - makes it easy for others to confide in him.

In the back of his mind, he constantly fears that one of his conflicting secrets (under "knives") will be discovered. He knows the woods of the borderlands well, and bears in mind the fastest way he could get hidden in them.

Edited by Primeval Stasis (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Aspekt said:

Sorry for the issue with the edits! There's time aplenty if you want to keep working, but I can also understand the frustration of lost work.

Thanks for the encouragement and for bringing it up with the dev team, I really appreciate it. I probably will get back to this once my current busy week is over and the frustration has faded.

I think everything here looks great, I'm going to mark this as "review complete". I know you wanted to polish the backstory you've got going on, but I don't think that's going to really require any approval from me. I'm just mostly trying to check that people are staying in the bounds and not creating characters with 20's across the board.

5 hours ago, Aspekt said:

I think everything here looks great, I'm going to mark this as "review complete". I know you wanted to polish the backstory you've got going on, but I don't think that's going to really require any approval from me. I'm just mostly trying to check that people are staying in the bounds and not creating characters with 20's across the board.

Gotcha, sounds good 👍 Thanks.