In Character: Prologue / Character Test-Drive

Aspekt

Based on an excellent suggestion from Primeval Stasis: "Since you've got a good amount of time before the application period ends, one thing some people will do is open a thread for applicant characters to chat with each other. That lets you see what people's style is (without asking for a detailed story sample), what group dynamics there might be, and also lets people get a feel for their character's voice."

Participation / non participation in this thread is not going to be a make or break for me in terms of applications. With almost a month to go before we close out the advertisement window, perhaps some people will have fun feeling out their characters. This will also definitely help me learn this system, and what things people are interested in.

Without further ado...

Edited by Aspekt (see edit history)

Lofi Beats to Post/Roleplay To

I don't remember a lot from when I was a boy, but there's one vision that will stick in my head forever.

Ma and Pa had loaded us into the back of the wagon and we rode for days. The wind found every gap in the canvas and our breath froze into hoarfrost on the underside of the covering, only to fall down the back of our coats while we tried to sleep. I huddled in the back of the wagon for an eternity with my brothers and sisters, just praying that I could be warm again. And then, Pa let up such a shout. "We made it! By Tyr we fucking MADE IT!"

We piled out, flexing our numbed toes and breathing life into fingers that were turning blue from the crisp air. I sank into the deep snow up to my knees, but above me a rich cerulean sky had opened up and the sun warmed our faces. All around us jagged snow-capped spires of rock reached unbelievably high into the heavens. But all of that paled in comparison of the beauty of the land that stretched out in front of me. Like an ocean of rich greens and gold, forests of ancient pine and leatherleaf trees stretched as far as I could see. Glittering ribbons of water wended though the landscape and the sunlight was diamonds on their surface. Nothing has ever since seemed so beautiful.

We worked hard, in those early years. We didn't have much of anything except holes in our clothes and chores to tend to. But we were happy. We were lucky enough to be among the first to cross the Razorspine and as more folks followed us over the pass they settled nearby until we had something that could halfway pass for a village. I grew up, met my wife, started this shop, and I'm raising my kids to work hard. I would imagine that most people back in the big cities would think of our lives as torture, but I like the honest work.

A few summers back we started putting up the stockade around the settlement and we decided this place should have a name. Old woman Keri had passed that winter, and in memory of her kind heart we decided to call the place Keri's Crossing.

- the words of Rory Ravenwood a Merchant, Examination and Analysis of Imperial Expans---

"Dammit to the Hells" Sarin muttered, as she inspected the spilled pot of ink that was slowly staining into the wooden floorboards. She was going to have a hell of a time trying to find ink of that same quality in this dismal backwater of the world. She sprinkled a touch of sand across the open page of her manuscript to soak up the drying ink, and then rose to walk to the window.

Spring was quickly turning to summer in Keri's Crossing. The Church of the Pantheon across the town square was ringing the bells to welcome townsfolk to an early morning service before they had to tend to their endless chores. The morning light also fell on the building across the way. Its signature wooden sign was proudly embossed with a silver-painted bird of prey. She supposed it could be considered a hawk, if you squinted and turned your head just right. Quality carvers was just one more thing this place lacked.

More new faces were showing up each week, and more often than not they managed to make their way though the doors of the Silver Hawk Company Headquarters. Wagons came and departed, leaving from this outpost to villages even further along the frontier, sometimes loaded with food, sometimes loaded with expedition supplies that had already spent months traveling the long roads from Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter. What exactly went on inside their books was something that Sarin had been quietly investigating out of personal curiosity. After all, one did not rise to the esteemed rank of Recordmaker in the Candlekeep unless they were slightly too curious for their own good.

NOTES ON THIS THREAD

I have always loved giving players agency, and I find that people love the world more when they've had an opportunity to leave their mark on it.

This thread starts on the 1st of Kythorn, 1497 DR.

Please feel free to RP amongst yourselves in the settlement of Keri's Crossing, where our adventure will begin once the Advertisement period is over. This can give us all a chance to learn how the forum works, how your character might play, and forge some initial bonds between characters.

I'm giving you all the (semi-literal) keys to the kingdom, don't burn the place down ;) I empower you all to craft NPC's, Stores, Rumors, Taverns, Gambling Dens, and hijinks within the reasonable ability of level 2 characters. For what it's worth, you also should all have 100 gold burning a hole in your pocket, maybe one of you will have to join the Silver Hawks just out of indebtedness...

Arden MacDonald had spent many years drinking in taverns before finally opening one himself. During that time, he had found that all good taverns had five things. Good drinks. Decent food. Friendly person serving. Warm fire. Decent place to sit down. Get those five right and everything else would fall into place. When he and Tseren opened The Torch and Sand, they tried to follow that as much as possible.

Today, in the only tavern at Keri's Crossing- The Gleaming Pot- Arden mentally counted off his list.

The fire was warm- if anything, too warm for the humid evening.

The wooden benches were sturdy enough.

The halfing woman serving the ale looked about three hundred years old, but she seemed to know everyone else in the bar. Though at the moment, "everyone" was three people seated at a table, playing cards and argung about an escaped Oxen from someone's farm.

The drinks weren't watered down. But the potato soup wasn't so lucky. He pushed aside the bowl and raised his mug towards his wife

"To seeing something new!"

Sure, at the moment he and Tseren had traded in three decades of living in a medium sized village... for going to a smaller village. But once they started working for the Silver Hawks, things were bound to get more exciting.

Right?

Arlen.gif

spacer.pngKagami Saya

Oni-blooded Ronin

AC: 14 (Unarmored, CON) | HP: 25/25 (2d12+6) | HD: 2/2 | Speed: 30 ft. | Initiative: +1
Senses: Passive Perception 9, Insight 9 Investigation 10. Darkvision 60ft.
Str: 14 (+2) | Dex: 12 (+1) | Con: 17 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 8 (-1) | Cha: 14 (+2)
Languages: Common, Infernal, Celestial, Kozakuran

Rage and Serenity. Noble and Savage. Honour and Skullduggery. Woman and Monster.

Kagami Saya repeated the contrasting opposites silently to herself as she knelt down in meditation over the small makeshift shrine she had assembled across the bordello matress. She felt sated after the previous nights festivities and those rare moments of zen in her life, she had to be quick to capitalize on...the clarity from the haze of emotions that would otherwise be running wild through her mind, was a blessing.

The Warrioress slowly opened her eyes and gazed over at the mirror by the bedside table, to stare at and be greeted back by mixed visage of a creature both human and inhuman. Even sat down over the ruffled bedsheets, wearing little but her silk under-robe gi top, she cut an imposing figure. Tall, statuesque, with slick white skin with grey freckles that almost made her look muscles look like they were carved from polished marble...her chest, breasts, back, shoulders, and arms were covered in intricately designed tattoos, mostly of natural scenes and animal spirits. Her hair was a dark blood red, nearly black, and normally kept tight and ordered in a series of braided buns...but currently this was more dishevelled with stray hairs and half-unfurled knots loosely draped over the shaved sides of her head and the points of her almost elf-like ears.

It was her face though, the face that stared back at her in that polished silver reflection, that really made her nature clear. Short horns protruded from her forehead and eyes that were dark pools of the blackness of the void...at least until she got her blood up, when the firery animalistic irises would appear and dimly glow like a hellcat.

Saya brought her right hand up to her face and traced the long scar that rang across it, from left cheek, over the bridge of her nose, to right cheek...a trophy of honour and glory gained but now long faded into shadow.

Her eyes perked up slightly as she heard a soft yawn and felt the stirring of another who resided upon the matress. The Ronin maintained her starring contest with the mirror, even as the slender arm rose from behind her and drapped itself across her shoulder and chest.

"...Good Morning. Sleep well?" Saya asked, her voice low and quiet, just above a whisper.

"No..." Came a reply from a soft feminine voice, before the arm's owner let out a mischevious chuckle. "...but that was kinda the whole point of last night, wasn't it? Satisfied?"

"My...hungers...have been well fed, thank you." Saya replied, now turning around to greet her lover of last night, a half-elven with caramel skin and voluminous curls of brown hair. She had ink as well, though not to the grandoise extent of Saya's bodywork, instead just a series of runes and text inscribed into her arms and thighs...which Saya recognized as celestial prayers to Sharess the Goddess of Pleasure and Sune, the Goddess of Beauty...fitting, if a bit on the nose, for a worker in one Keri's Crossing more high end establishments.

The Tiefling took the half-elf's draped arm away, before stopping to inspect it for a moment, noticing a set of rather nasty bite marks...as if a wild predatory mammal had tried to tear into the half-elf's bicep recently. "...Oh....I offer my most sincerest of appologies, I may have...gotten carried away." She parted the darkly stained lips of her mouth and bared her teeth, sets of long razor-like fangs.

The half-elf smirked, then offered a hearty laugh before wrapping herself back up in the blankets. "Hey now, no need for that...if woke up here instead of in an alley somewhere down the street, with a bruise shaped like one of our bouncer's knuckles, you're probably just fine. Sharess is the chief patron of this house after all, and she's a cat herself...so the occassional scratch and bite isn't a problem. Nothing permenant anyways..."

"Still, it was a...loss of control." Saya replied, still apologetically, as she rose up from the bed and reached down to search through through the discard clothes left strewn about the bedroom floor.

"...we're the Purveyor of Passions, warrior." The Half-elf responded. "...here, we can let our hearts and bodies run wild in the safety of Sharess's caress...are you always this much of a worrier?"

Saya paused her search and thought for a moment. "...probably not as much nor as often, as I should be."

-----------

Sometime later, Saya exited out of the Purveyor of Passions, her hair fixed and in full dress, with her blades tucked in their scabbards and resting on her hip, freshly retrieved from the doorman. Sharess was a...foreign goddess...to her, like pretty much everything on this side of the continent, but if the rest of her devotees were anything like the caramel-skinned Amerys or many of the other men and ladies Saya had spent time with over the past year, then Saya decided that the cat goddess couldn't be all that bad...

...unrestrained passion though...emotions unchained...that was a dogma that the Samurai didn't feel comfortable with...not in general, but applied to herself specifically.

It could be the flip of a coin when Saya let herself go like last night...if she had been in a different town, under different circumstances, it could have just as easily ended in bloodshed. She stared down at her gauntled left hand and squeezed it tight, her nails biting through the silk and leather of the gloved palm.

Then, with a long exhale, she eased off and released the pressure of her grip strength, pushing all those thoughts of roads not travelled and past tragedies not avoided. Soon, it would be time to return to work...especially since last night's "tithing to Sharess" and the Purveyor, had left her somewhat lighter in the purse...

So, adjusting the headband that wrapped around the base of her horns, the Oni-Blooded Samurai set forth into the street, headed towards the building blessed by the Silver Hawk, even as the church bells in the distance began to ring.

Edited by ResidualRose (see edit history)

@crimsonjoe

As Arden sits across from his wife, a high-piled beehive hairdo wanders between the tables, coming to a stop at the end of your bench. The weathered halfling proprietor stands on the tips of of her toes and pulls herself up on the table edge, high enough that she can see into your soup bowl with one eyeball.

"Have something to say about me cookin' do ya?"

[Action: Roll for Perception]

DM's Note: I'm not sure how people usually request rolls on here. I'm not altogether certain how to attach a roll to a post anyways. It definitely feels like it could slow the game down waiting for someone to post a simple reply with their dice rolls. Open to suggestions or best practices on this one!

@ResidualRose

As Saya walks out of the shadow of the Purveyor of Passions something, call it instinct, draws her eye to a figure trading at an open-air market stall a hundred paces ahead of her. Their dress is nothing out of the ordinary, it blends in with what everyone else in this town is wearing. But does it blend too well? Suddenly, a realization, as the man reaches out with one hand to drop a scattering of coins into the merchant's palm, and gently places his purchases into a wicker basket.

A wicker basket that is held in a wooden prosthetic hand.

This far, it's hard to see much more before the man turns, and their long hair blocks a clear view of their face. Perhaps a less worldly person would call what you feel "fear".

The man turns and walks off down an alleyway.

1 minute ago, Aspekt said:

@ResidualRose

As Saya walks out of the shadow of the Purveyor of Passions something, call it instinct, draws her eye to a figure trading at an open-air market stall a hundred paces ahead of her. Their dress is nothing out of the ordinary, it blends in with what everyone else in this town is wearing. But does it blend too well? Suddenly, a realization, as the man reaches out with one hand to drop a scattering of coins into the merchant's palm, and gently places his purchases into a wicker basket.

A wicker basket that is held in a wooden prosthetic hand.

This far, it's hard to see much more before the man turns, and their long hair blocks a clear view of their face. Perhaps a less worldly person would call what you feel "fear".

The man turns and walks off down an alleyway.

Perception

Name
Perception
1d20+3 8
Saya's Stealth
1d20+6 14

@ResidualRose

The man turns to step into the alleyway, but he pauses at a cry of "Dad, wait for me!"

A boy comes running though the market, a basket of fresh beeswax candles carried under his arm. The man turns fully and you can see his face clearly now. Not Masahide. He wraps the boy in a warm hug, and you can see now that his wooden hand is primitive, permanently curled in a half-cup.

"Dad, you're going to still take us to the lake this afternoon, right? You promised! I know that something bad happened, I heard you and mom talking about it. But whatever it is, you can handle it! I know you can!" Something in the way the boy looks up at his father, the admiration in his eyes, makes you think for the thousandth time about what may have been.

The man's smile falters for a short bit, but he tousles the boy's hair after a moment.

"Sure... sure we can. We can't avoid the lake forever."

Name
Roll for how adorable this child is
1d20+2 16

spacer.pngKagami Saya

Oni-blooded Ronin

AC: 14 (Unarmored, CON) | HP: 25/25 (2d12+6) | HD: 2/2 | Speed: 30 ft. | Initiative: +1
Senses: Passive Perception 9, Insight 9 Investigation 10. Darkvision 60ft.
Str: 14 (+2) | Dex: 12 (+1) | Con: 17 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 8 (-1) | Cha: 14 (+2)
Languages: Common, Infernal, Celestial, Kozakuran

Saya's hand strayed from her sword as the identity of the one-armed man was confirmed. She leaned back and practically fall onto the side of a nearby building wall, and let out a long exhale as she closed her eyes and tried to refocus her calm.

The urge for an act of instantaneous violence, to strike first before even the merest possibility of it being her old foe had been confirmed, had been overpowering...she swore to the kami of the Celestial Empire and thanked them for any strength they may have given her in just holding herself back or a few mere seconds.

Innocent blood already stained her hands...and likely more would in the future. It was the nature of survival and warfare...but she did wish to add further stains without cause.

Collecting herself, she opened her eyes and stared up at the sky beyond the rooftop shingles edge above her, before raising once more to continue her walk towards the Company hall...

Passions unchained...She reminded herself of the Sharessian creed before finding her own rebuttal...not for me, they aren't...not without serious risk...

OOC: Damn, that is one really adorable child!

Edited by ResidualRose (see edit history)

Tseren's eyes always looked for possible exits whenever she was away from home. It was ingrained to her. Of course, Arden always insisted that she worried too much (and never took her advice to at least TRY to sit without exposing their backs. All these years and he's still too damn trusting...)

But that was always one of his more maddingly charming traits -- to always see the best in everything and everyone. The velvet glove approach.

Tseren, however, wasn't usually so tactful. The iron fist.

And here was the proprietor suddenly going off on him -- for no damn good reason. On one hand, she understood how busy a kitchen was. How some customers were entitled pricks...

...and on the other hand, she also knew that if an inn didn't have pride in its dishes, chances are they didn't respect the customers, didn't respect their staff and would always take shortcuts. Skimp on cleaning, let food spoil, use only the barest of seasonings (if at all -- Tseren knew a good cook never blamed their ingredients and tools. And the better ones knew how to make a banquet that would drive a khan to tears of joy with even the cheapest cuts of mutton and withered carrots). Arden hadn't said one word. Just pushed the bowl away for the time being.

Under the table, Tseren's fingers clenched into a fist of iron, then slowly opened back up. Don't speak for him, don't jump in -- yet...

Name
Perception (just in case)
1d20+3 5

1 hour ago, Aspekt said:

@crimsonjoe

As Arden sits across from his wife, a high-piled beehive hairdo wanders between the tables, coming to a stop at the end of your bench. The weathered halfling proprietor stands on the tips of of her toes and pulls herself up on the table edge, high enough that she can see into your soup bowl with one eyeball.

"Have something to say about me cookin' do ya?"

DM's Note: I'm not sure how people usually request rolls on here. I'm not altogether certain how to attach a roll to a post anyways. It definitely feels like it could slow the game down waiting for someone to post a simple reply with their dice rolls. Open to suggestions or best practices on this one!

Perception

Note to everyone...I have a horrific reputation of my dice failing miserably, and may be trying to kill my characters.

Arden blinked. He hadn't said anything. Then again, Tseren swore he showed every emotion on his face, at all times, ever.

The polite thing to do would be to say he wasn't hungry. Or claim that he that it was too spicy. Or ... he could just eat the damn soup.

He picked up the spoon of the soup, watching the watery liquid float around, sighed... and set it back down.

"Just not to my tastes, madam." From the opposite side of the booth, Arden could feel his wife's annoyance growing, and a vision of an elderly halfling flying across the room crossed his mind. "But the ale is excellent. Did you brew it here or trade with some dwarves?"

Name
Perception
1d20+2 3

@crimsonjoe@RedRajah

The halfling woman just sniffs curtly and mutters, "well there's just no accounting for taste" under her breath.
"There's no refunds, so eat it or don't." But at the mention of the ale her eyes brighten, "Aye, it's good, better than what I can find around here! That's the last of previous year's shipment, should be some more coming over the pass soon, with the harder weather letting up and all. My son works over west and he was able to get a great deal with a brewery back that way." She shuffles off back towards the bar.

The sun has barely risen, but two of men who were loudly playing cards just moments ago are now blissfully asleep, slumped over their drinks and snoring soundly. Cards are still splayed across the table, and you see the back of the third man as he quietly shuts the door behind him on his way out of the tavern.

spacer.pngWilovar Haften

Half Elf Merchant, Waukeener 

AC: 18 (Scale, Shield) | HP: 15/15 () | HD: 2/2 | Speed: 30 ft. | Initiative: +2
Senses: Passive Perception 15, Insight 15, Investigation 10. Darkvision 60ft.
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 12 (+1) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 16 (+3)
Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling
Spell Slots: L1 3/3 | L2 0/0

"Woah there, Jim-Bob, woah there Joe!" Wil brought the two mules to a stop outside the only tavern in town, gently tugging on the reins. Both mules didn't need telling twice - more than happy to have a break after a week's travel through the mountains. Wil slipped down off the wagon, and hitched them to a bar round the side, giving each a firm pat and a bundle of grass to chomp for their service. Winching the barrel off the back would need a few extra hands, but maybe the tavern had a trough or stable nearby. He brushed what dust he could from his oft-repaired blue padded jerkin and ran a quick hand through wavy dark brown hair to check he looked presentable. Leather boots got a quick spit shine, and dirty cuffs were rolled up out of sight.

Judging the wagon wasn't blocking the rutted dirt road too much - he headed inside with a stretch and a smile. "Ah taverns, the beating heart of a town..." he muttered to himself, "well, after the market. Maybe the beating stomach of the town? Guess the metaphor fell apart." As he walked through, his bright chestnut eyes flicked over the scene - lots of patrons drinking, not so many eating. A mixed omen. Still can't be worse than more trail rations. Several travellers in town too it looked like. Leaning on the dark wood bar he smiled winningly at the halfling proprietor "Name's Wilovar Haften, Traveling Merchant!" he introduced himself. "How much for an ale, a meal, and a bed for the night? Do you have anywhere nearby for stabling too?"

OOC

Action: -

Bonus Action: -

Movement: -

Reaction: -

Object Interaction: -

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Mace . Melee Weapon Attack: +1 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 - 1 bludgeoning damage.

Light Crossbow . Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 + 3 piercing damage. Loading, Two-Handed

Sacred Flame . Cantrip (V,S): Creature you can see, range 60 ft., one target, no cover. DEX Save: 1d8 radiant damage.

Bonus Actions:

-

Reactions:

-

Class Features:

Blessing of the Trickster . Starting when you choose this domain at 1st level, you can use your action to touch a willing creature other than yourself to give it advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks. This blessing lasts for 1 hour or until you use this feature again.

Channel Divinity (1/1)

• Turn Undead

As an action, you present your holy symbol and speak a prayer censuring the undead. Each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage.

A turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can't willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. It also can't take reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there's nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.

• Invoke Duplicity

As an action, you create a perfect illusion of yourself that lasts for 1 minute, or until you lose your concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell). The illusion appears in an unoccupied space that you can see within 30 feet of you. As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the illusion up to 30 feet to a space you can see, but it must remain within 120 feet of you.

For the duration, you can cast spells as though you were in the illusion's space, but you must use your own senses. Additionally, when both you and your illusion are within 5 feet of a creature that can see the illusion, you have advantage on attack rolls against that creature, given how distracting the illusion is to the target.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

For a moment, it had been blissfully quiet. The loud drunken louts playing cards had shut up and started snoring. Well, two of them anyways. The third was beating a hasty retreat.

Tseren considered the matter, then shrugged and went back to her fatty mutton. Not her inn, not her problem. Maybe it would be once she and Arden got hired on by the Silver Hawks, but for now, let the louts sleep it off. Once they woke up, maybe it would teach them a lesson to be better aware of who they shared their table and drinks with.

And then the quiet was shattered by a new patron introducing himself to the halfing. 'Merchant' -- that's always dubious...

The door to the small tavern flies open and crashes hard against nearby wall as a tall, broad shouldered woman dressed in maroons and blacks heads directly for the nearest barstool. "Get me a fuckin' drink a'fore I go and knock that bloody captain out of 'is helmet, Mags." The woman demands. She lays her spear and shield against the nearest barstool before removing her helmet to place on the counter. She shakes some loose hair out of her face and slides a silver coin towards the barkeep. "Quicklike, please."

Magnus, an average looking human with a large beard and shaved head wastes no time responding to the brash woman. "What'd he do this time, Lin?" he says rather calmly while sliding a tankard over to Taborlin. She grabs the tankard and takes a deep drink, not quite finishing it, but definitely making a show of the fact that she could have. She crashes it back down, sloshing some the remaining ale out and onto the countertop. "Y'know what 'e fuckin' did? 'e took half the garrison and put 'em on escort duty for some white-washed tourist who wants t' see the mist. We've got fuckin' gnolls making camp not a mile from 'ere! We need those louts guarding the damn town so we can go in pacify those gnolls 'fore they become a problem. But now we ain't got enough bodies t' watch the palisades and do that." She sighs heavily while Magnus maintains a professional composure, just listening. "'D'ya know anything about that? The tourist I mean?"

He shakes his head. "Haven't the slightest, Lin. No one like that would stop in here, not if you can help it." He leans in a little closer to Taborlin, quieting a little. "I did hear about a slew of new recruits for the hawks though. Few of 'em probably in here."

"Tell me somethin' I don't know, Mags. We've always got new recruits. Hell, only been here for 'alf a season and seen more fortuneseekers 'n washouts than flies on a zebra's arse." She finishes whats left of her tankard and motions for another one from Magnus. "Guess I can pray for good ones this time, ev'n just one that'll stick it out and avoid gettin' skewered would be nice. Lost so many...the poor fools...just like me I suppose, seeking fortune and a little glory. Least I know what I'm doing." Taborlin sullenly looks around at the rest of the patrons of the evening, the subject of high turnover among the silver hawks settling over her like a thick fog. Magnus returns with another dark ale and just leaves it and helps other patrons, knowing that Taborlin will be sipping this one for a bit and probably start talking about Yezar.

Indeed, that's where her thoughts started to go, as they always do. All roads in Keri's Crossing lead to Yezar, according to Taborlin, and she hated that fact.
"Stupid fuckin' halfling, gonna to ruin the whole outfit..."

Edited by scootloops (see edit history)